Calum Elliott (Merged Threads)

Guest GhostHunter

Haha. FFS.

I'm now a 'so called fan' bacause I want Hearts strikers to man the **** up and score goals rather than throw schoolboy huffs every five minutes.

:teehee:

nope to me being a fan involves getting behind young players. Some of us recognise what calum can do. He's been booed by his own, we dont need fans like that. He's made some of you look very stupid delighted for him

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nope to me being a fan involves getting behind young players. Some of us recognise what calum can do. He's been booed by his own, we dont need fans like that. He's made some of you look very stupid delighted for him

Uber fan alert.

Nearly wet myself when the goal went in and shouted what a goal! If he plays 50% of ges like that he'll be a revelation this season. It's long been said that JJ has a knack of getting the best out of players. I really hope this boy keeps the other Elliott out the squad due to his performances!

Heard wee Robbo on the radio and he was saying that he thinks Clum will learn a lot from Kyle.

He mentioned last week when Kyle came out and was talking to Clum and obviously giving him bits of advice at the start of the second half, that sort of thing will be good for all the players not just Clum.

Delighted for the lad

I've been willing him to play well for a while and being honest at points he's been his own worst enemy but now it appears he is maybe ready to step up to the mark

3 very good goals in 2 games, keep it up son :thumbsup:

reasons why IMO he is playing well

!) Is match fit and not carrying any injures - pre season has helped

2) Signing Elliot and Kyle as competition for the strikers role - as said played well alongside janny and bednar

3) Scoring last week has sent his confidence skyrocketing

4) Having kyle and elliot to give advice and help him is a big thing.

Sir John of Robertson said pretty much this on the radio after the game. And the telling thing is what kyle did last week, came out early at half time a had a quiet word with calum elliott and showed him a bit of positioning. for the last few seasons we have had no-one that did that.

so well done and keep it up

The telling thing in his interview was that he has admitted his previous shortcomings by accepting advice from KK and SElliott.

That's what we've lacked over the last few years, the experienced players HELPING the youngsters coming through....

I'm actually very very impressed by Kyle in the short time he's played, he's what we've been looking for since MDV left us....a definite legend in the making.

So true. Experienced pros setting a good example to young players.

Well done Calum btw.

InNothingWeTrust

He had a great game today, no doubt about that, but there was one downfall which I think he still needs to pick up on. He needs to get his head up more often when on the ball. The main one was when he got us the penalty. Fair enough he got the penalty, but the replay shows he never looked across once where Kyle was in space screaming for it. Same goes for his second goal and his fierce shot saved denying his third. I know he did well on his own, but sometimes you do need to look up to see your options.

It's just a wee observation, I'm not taking away anything from him, he played fantastic.

Unfortunately he shares that honour with Paul Hartley who also has three goals.

:thumbsup:Yes but alphabetically he is top

He had a great game today, no doubt about that, but there was one downfall which I think he still needs to pick up on. He needs to get his head up more often when on the ball. The main one was when he got us the penalty. Fair enough he got the penalty, but the replay shows he never looked across once where Kyle was in space screaming for it. Same goes for his second goal and his fierce shot saved denying his third. I know he did well on his own, but sometimes you do need to look up to see your options.

It's just a wee observation, I'm not taking away anything from him, he played fantastic.

He looked up twice while running in for his second, but your right overall.

I'm not sure anyone can say Calum made the wrong decision there. He cut across the guys run and slowed down. I think he was going for the penalty. He got it, the man was sent off and Kyle got off the mark from the penalty. It was very "professional".

Getting his head up will help him as it does with all players. Maybe Knowing he has a strike partner to look for will help.

It's all down to the new number. Find me one past Hearts striker that hasn't flourished as a goal machine wearing the famous number 14. :whistling:

It's all down to the new number. Find me one past Hearts striker that hasn't flourished as a goal machine wearing the famous number 14. :whistling:

It's funny that even when you become a professional footballer you still say to yourself "I'm being Thiery Henry" before playing. I thought that stopped when you were about nine.

Last year we had Nade pretending to be Henry and Stewart pretending to be Beckham.

It's funny that even when you become a professional footballer you still say to yourself "I'm being Thiery Henry" before playing. I thought that stopped when you were about nine.

Last year we had Nade pretending to be Henry and Stewart pretending to be Beckham.

I think you have seriously underestimated MS's ego.

reasons why IMO he is playing well

!) Is match fit and not carrying any injures - pre season has helped

2) Signing Elliot and Kyle as competition for the strikers role - as said played well alongside janny and bednar

3) Scoring last week has sent his confidence skyrocketing

4) Having kyle and elliot to give advice and help him is a big thing.

Sir John of Robertson said pretty much this on the radio after the game. And the telling thing is what kyle did last week, came out early at half time a had a quiet word with calum elliott and showed him a bit of positioning. for the last few seasons we have had no-one that did that.

so well done and keep it up

Actually, it's none of those. The reason he is playing well is down to Jim Jefferies IMO.

I was one who felt he had had too many last chances and I would have moved him on during the closed season. It is early days but Elliot looks like a striker now and he must be considered first pick as long as he continues to score.

Unlike some dafties on this thread, I recognise that those that criticised you will be delighted to see Calum succeed.

More of the same Calum.

Actually, it's none of those. The reason he is playing well is down to Jim Jefferies IMO.

I was one who felt he had had too many last chances and I would have moved him on during the closed season. It is early days but Elliot looks like a striker now and he must be considered first pick as long as he continues to score.

Unlike some dafties on this thread, I recognise that those that criticised you will be delighted to see Calum succeed.

More of the same Calum.

i think the reasons that i listed have all happened because of jj.

Chris Benoit

More of the same Calum.

Quite right it would be a special kind of arsehole who would be unhappy to see Elliot performing well

I generally don't get involved in many of arguements on here but this is utter bollocks. As soon as he went forward he realised he didn't have the pace to go all the way and was immediately looking for Kyle. Elliot expected to pass to Kyle, Kyle expected he would pass and the defender basically ignored the run on goal so he could cut out the pass to Kyle. Calum looked for the pass several times and only when he realised the defender was waiting to cut out the pass, he had the presence of mind and the composure to simply keep going and ram i the fourth. And as for the final shot denying the third, what striker worth his salt wants to pass in the last couple of minutes when he's 0n a hat trick. Sure as shit Robbo wouldn't have even considered a pas.

Tremendous performance today - nobody could ask for more.

I think that Kyle and Elliot are staking a good claim to be our first choice strikers.

jamboinglasgow

Here is an interesting fact. The last five times a Hearts player scored two goals in a league game, 3 of the times it was Calum Elliot (v ICT (07/08) v Killie (08/09) v Hamilton (10/11)) the other two are Andrius Velicka v Gretna (07/08) and David Obua v ICT (08/09)

Well done to Elliot, it was a hard worked performance and it took skill to score both his goals and the run in the box was great. I did think last week he had a great performance. As others have said I think he is a confidence player. And these last two matches will do wonders for him. I also think (like others said) having two other strikers who can score helps as well, it may sound daft but having the option that if he has a few bad games and his confidence drops, having the option that Hearts can put on another striker who is as good will help Elliot. It was something that we didn't have under Frail, so Frail kept playing him while the confidence dripped away.

peebles jambo

Think the guy has finally found his confidence! :D:thumbsup:

agreed, hopefully he'll go on to bag 20+ goals this season

He has done well and played superbly but lets not get ahead of ourselves, it's only STJ and Hamilton.

So what. Aren't they decent enough competition in this league?

well done callum :thumbsup: His attitude was spot on not one tantrum all game. This is what has been holding him back he has always had the ability but was to focused on moaning at times rather than rolling the sleeves up. A brilliant perfomance enjoy the champagne son. I think kyle will be the making of him :thumbsup:

jamboinglasgow

So what. Aren't they decent enough competition in this league?

yup, plus these are the teams that Kris Boyd scored against, not the big clubs but the middle to bottom clubs. Look how he is rated.

kingantti1874

Gteat perormancr but He has to stay fit and get a run of games...from where I was sitting it looked like h tweaked a hammy in the last minute-hope not, deserves to keep his place

kingantti1874

Great e but He has to stay fit and get a run of games...from where I was sitting it looked like he tweaked a hammy in the last minute-hope not, deserves to keep his place

Great start to the season - another 60-70 good performances and he'll be in breakeven territory and I'll have to eat my words! :whistling:

It was his second goal that really impressed me. Didn't rush to pass the ball straight away, then as he carried it didn't pass responsibility, and finally showed great composure to slide it into the far corner. In past seasons I think he would have rusehd then shot and hit it straight at the goalie or wide of the far post.

Great all round performance.

marshallschunkychicken

I liked the way he had loads of time to think about his second goal and still took the shot rather than the pass, that shows how confident he feels.

The pass was the easy way out and he would have been praised for scoring one and setting up another (and getting a penalty).

He probably would have missed if it was in the last 3 seasons but confidently stuck it away.

Looking like the player who did so well for Scotland and had a good 05/06 season before all the madness started.

Well done Calum, keep it up and nae dancing.

The great thing is that he had the confidence to take the shot, as if it hadn't gone in, he would have been crucified on here.

I think he's been reticent about taking those shots in the past.

Calum was fantastic today. Brilliant finishes for both his goals - especially the second one which he had plenty of time to think about. His work for the penalty was very professional though if i am honest i dont think it was a penalty though who cares!!

Would like to have seen him get a hat trick but he has another 36 games to go so worth saving some goals for those games.....

Drylaw Hearts

MOTM performance today from Elliot.

He looked like the player who played under Burley and Rix and gained confidence as the game went on.

Another few games like this one and I'll quite happily have to admit I was wrong about Clum.

Cut The Crap

Very good day for Calum. Seems to be benefiting (as are we all) from our increasingly forward-looking outlook and not being stuck up front on his own!

Long may it continue.

portobellojambo1

I have been one of those who has been critical of him in the past, because I thought criticism was justified given the level of performance he was producing.

Today, I thought he performed very, very well, took both his goals excellently and contributed in other ways.

I do think, he, in fact whoever we play up front, is going to benefit hugely from having Kevin Kyle to play alongside. I think Kyle is going to make a huge difference to us in and around the box, and because he can actually win and direct headers he opens up new avenues for us, by releasing other players around him.

Francis Albert

MOTM performance today from Elliot.

He looked like the player who played under Burley and Rix and gained confidence as the game went on.

Another few games like this one and I'll quite happily have to admit I was wrong about Clum.

I thought chasing long balls up front on his own under Graham "it's a difficult place to go" Rix was when Calum's long barren spell began.

Anyway, well done Calum. Excellent performance, and not just the goals. How nice to say that about a Hearts striker!

I liked the way he had loads of time to think about his second goal and still took the shot rather than the pass, that shows how confident he feels.

The pass was the easy way out and he would have been praised for scoring one and setting up another (and getting a penalty).

He probably would have missed if it was in the last 3 seasons but confidently stuck it away.

Looking like the player who did so well for Scotland and had a good 05/06 season before all the madness started.

Well done Calum, keep it up and nae dancing.

i said this to my pal after the match. he seemed so confident on the second goal, he didn't seem as confident at all last season :turned:

Seymour M Hersh

i think the reasons that i listed have all happened because of jj.

Agreed a man that understands the mindset of young Scottish lads and knows how to get the best out of them. Elliot has always had talent (coaches at club and country level have rated him throughout his career) but in recent years he's been a whiney wee shit with a horrid attitude ergo form goes down the pan. Now he has a manager that will get the best out of him if he applies himself. Go for it Calum it's your last opportunity here.

marshallschunkychicken

Ridiculous BBC comment in the match report saying that Canning was sent off after Calum 'collapsed in the box after a lung-busting run'.

Chris Benoit

Best performance from a hearts centre forward in god knows how long

since he scored 2 against Killie 2 years ago IMO

I thought chasing long balls up front on his own under Graham "it's a difficult place to go" Rix was when Calum's long barren spell began.

Anyway, well done Calum. Excellent performance, and not just the goals. How nice to say that about a Hearts striker!

the thumping of Falkirk, defeat against Celtic on New Years day and the derby that followed a couple of weeks later were Elliott's best performances of that season imo, all came under Rix's stewardship

Archived