Uruguay vs Ghana

Cade

Charlie-Brown

whether we would celebrate a dodgy hearts winner is irrelevant. If they can change the rules of football to outlaw the pass back in an attempt to lessen negative and defensive play then they can just as easily award penalty goals to prevent incidents like last nite where the attacking team is disadvantaged by deliberate cheating / foul play. Tribalism has got nothing to do with it.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The People's Chimp

whether we would celebrate a dodgy hearts winner is irrelevant. If they can change the rules of football to outlaw the pass back in an attempt to lessen negative and defensive play then they can just as easily award penalty goals to prevent incidents like last nite where the attacking team is disadvantaged by deliberate cheating / foul play. Tribalism has got nothing to do with it.

But why change it? It's part and parcel of the game. What about last man fouls which prevent someone from scoring? Should they be rewarded with a penalty goal too? It's a slippery slope, and "penalty goals" sound like, for want of a better word, an americanisation too far. It's a "PC" idea, I suppose, and this whole direction in football loses sight of what the game is.

Tommy Wiseau

It's not irrelevant, because a couple of other posters are making that very point; they would not celebrate a Hearts goal if it was obtained through cheating. My response is that that is utter bollocks. I think my logic's sound. :thumbsup:

But why change it? It's part and parcel of the game. What about last man fouls which prevent someone from scoring? Should they be rewarded with a penalty goal too? It's a slippery slope, and "penalty goals" sound like, for want of a better word, an americanisation too far. It's a "PC" idea, I suppose, and this whole direction in football loses sight of what the game is.

Completely agree. Also, what's worse? Suarez handling on the line and getting sent off in the last minute, only for Ghana to miss the penalty and lose the shoot out, OR...

Suarez heads it off the line, the referee thinks it was a hand ball and awards a penalty goal to Ghana, ending the game and knocking Uruguay out of the World Cup?

Charlie-Brown

the last man challenge never used to be a red card offence neither was suarez offence. The back pass existed for over a century perfectly well but they amended the rules and these have been generally progressive and helped to eliminate some of the worst aspects of cynical play or downright cheating that previously ocurred. Deliberately punching the ball of the line is equally as cynical cheating as there is a chance the goal will be prevented so there exists an incentive because it can be 'worth it' but penalty goals in those instances remove any incentive to cheat in that way if the goal was given and a card awarded. Seems like a minor but progressive change to the rules. Imagine riordan punched a last minute hearts winner off the line and hibs won the penalty shoot out and ended their scottish cup hoodoo? Who's in favour of Hearts being awarded the penalty goal winner then?

There is a disciplinary committee for a reason. He will just have to take any extra ban on the chin. He still did the right thing.

but it's wrong, if Ghana went through by scoring the penalty he wouldn't get the extra ban

any increased suspension is based on the circumstances not the incident itself

that is not the way rules should be interpretated, they are black and white they are wrong, this is just a case of politics and FIFA trying to apease Africa by making it look like they are doing something about it

Could I ask (apologies if it's already been done!)

WTF is a 'Penalty Goal', it's either a Penalty or a Goal, it can't be both

leave the crappy terms to the blokes that play with the odd shaped ball

Harry Palmer

Could I ask (apologies if it's already been done!)

WTF is a 'Penalty Goal', it's either a Penalty or a Goal, it can't be both

leave the crappy terms to the blokes that play with the odd shaped ball

Agreed. Sounds too much like a 'penalty try' to me. Why are some folk spewing so much about this?

With respect, but there is some absolute bollocks being posted on this thread...

Suarez made an informed decision to stop that ball crossing the line deep into injury time as it gave his team a chance of winning the football match. He knew the punishment he would incur, he knew Ghana would get a penalty. Ghana bottled it, pure and simple.

I would expect any Hearts player or any player in a team I was playing for to do what Suarez did in the same circumstances.

I've done it myself in amateur football - we were 2-2 in a match that we had to get a point in to stay up and relegate our opponents. If we'd lost, we were down. When an opposition forward broke through one on one with me with a few minutes to go and took a lousy touch thirty yards out, I sprinted from my box, dived at his feet and blocked the ball away with my right arm. I was sent off. Our forward went between the sticks. They made a noel hunt of the resultant free kick. We stayed up.

If Ghana had scored that penalty, they'd have won 2-1 and Suarez wouldn't be facing anything more than the 1 match ban his offence carries. If he gets an additional ban, it's an absolute travesty - FIFA can't make up the rules as they go along.

Ghana lost the game last night by missing a last minute penalty. Suarez didn't cost them that game.

That's football.

Randle P McMurphy

LOLZ. Some proper bitterness spilling out from this thread. If anything, it's me who should be bitter as I chose to transfer in Suarez instead of Forlan to my dream team, and that handball (and his earlier misses) cost me top spot in my league.

Absolute hero though - I regret nothing.

Tell you what - for those 'Allez the maroons', spirit of the game characters who are lying saying that they wouldn't celebrate a goal Hearts scored if they cheated to score it... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Belter.

You know what I think? I think that if Kevin Kyle elbowed Ian Murray in the face at a corner, controlled the ball with both hands, spat in Makalamby's eyes to obscure his vision and tucked away a 90th minute winner at Easter Road, you'd be right behind me in the conga line. And you know it.

tbf a goal like that against the hobos would still be getting celebrated now

As an added bonus, now that PLUCKY LITTLE GHANA are out we'll no longer have to listen to the slavering erse Desailly jizzing himself silly about goats and chickens.

sepp_blatter.jpg

"Fans love to debate any given incident in a game. It is part of the human nature of our sport."

True dat, Sepp. :thumbsup:

Denny Crane

I've done it myself in amateur football - we were 2-2 in a match that we had to get a point in to stay up and relegate our opponents. If we'd lost, we were down. When an opposition forward broke through one on one with me with a few minutes to go and took a lousy touch thirty yards out, I sprinted from my box, dived at his feet and blocked the ball away with my right arm. I was sent off. Our forward went between the sticks. They made a noel hunt of the resultant free kick. We stayed up.

Can we assume that with the help of the opposition you broke all sprinting records going once the final whistle went? :whistling:

As an added bonus, now that PLUCKY LITTLE GHANA are out we'll no longer have to listen to the slavering erse Desailly jizzing himself silly about goats and chickens.

This

Fake cringeworthy stuff

Randle P McMurphy

With respect, but there is some absolute bollocks being posted on this thread...

Suarez made an informed decision to stop that ball crossing the line deep into injury time as it gave his team a chance of winning the football match. He knew the punishment he would incur, he knew Ghana would get a penalty. Ghana bottled it, pure and simple.

I would expect any Hearts player or any player in a team I was playing for to do what Suarez did in the same circumstances.

If Ghana had scored that penalty, they'd have won 2-1 and Suarez wouldn't be facing anything more than the 1 match ban his offence carries. If he gets an additional ban, it's an absolute travesty - FIFA can't make up the rules as they go along.

Ghana lost the game last night by missing a last minute penalty. Suarez didn't cost them that game.

That's football.

sums it up for me mate. just don't get the fuss about this and i wanted ghana to win

Tommy Wiseau

tbf a goal like that against the hobos would still be getting celebrated now

9conga.gif

Randle's there. Thommo's there. Are you?

With a bit of luck, he'll have imploded so utterly that he has to go home and won't take up any more of my airtime.

The question is, if he has to go home, will he go to the country that he has the affinity and national pride for... or the one that has a better chance of getting him personal glory? ;)

Sorry but PENALTY GOAL wtf???? We are talking about Association Football not American football, Soccer or Rugby!! If a proffesional footballer cannot score from the penalty spot then he deserves to go out! Had Gyan scored it would have been the Heroic Suarez valliantly tries to keep Uraguay in the tournament but because gyan missed he's a cheat?

Gigolo-Aunt

9conga.gif

With a bit of luck, he'll have imploded so utterly that he has to go home and won't take up any more of my airtime.

The question is, if he has to go home, will he go to the country that he has the affinity and national pride for... or the one that has a better chance of getting him personal glory? ;)

Heh heh heh - hello sailor!

I'm in as well.

thumbsup.gif

trooperscongaline.jpg

Jambos1983

Suarez did the right thing by his country if he were to miss the finsl though he can have no complainrs whatsoever

Tasavallan

I can understand a penalty try being awarded in rugby when a team deliberately stops a definite try scoring opporunity. Hence a team gets 7 pts as opposed to 3 pts if just a penalty kick.

But football already has rules in place for fouls committed in penalty box. The only issue is Ghana missing the penalty. This debate would be non-existent if they had scored.

And as for the righteous among us who would not celebrate if it was a Hearts player that did similar... sheesh! I must be an nasty immoral person.

9conga.gif

I'm there. But behind both of you. Can't be too careful nowadays.

:ermm:

Highlighted part: naughty Thommo. I got so sick of that thread last week I didn't even read the conclusion.

Francis Albert

Every time something "unfair" happens in a football match, the game should be stopped while FIFA urgently implement a change to the laws of the game. And don't give me any of this nonsense about interrupting the flow of the game.

What a load of nonsense. As has been said numerous times on this thread, the difference is Ghana got a penalty, Suarez took his punishment and it was dealt with within the rules. Your analogy with diving or feigning injury just isn't correct because in those examples, someone is breaking the rules and not being punished. Suarez broke the rules and was punished.

This whole thing about penalty goals is rubbish as well. The rules of the game work, the game is about incidents, drama, doing anything to win...taking one for the team. Perhaps a better analogy would be to compare what suarez did with a last man foul. It's 1-1, in the last minute and a forward is totally through on goal, and the chasing defender can't get a tackle in...he pulls the shirt or clips the heels of the forward, saves the goal and takes the red card as the last man. Pretty much exactly what Suarez did, prevented a goal, and took his punishment.

Only it ain't the same. That ball was going in. Yer forward through on goal might fall on his arse or belt it over the bar. That was a goal until Suarez prevented it from being one by cheating. I don't blaame him, I did it meself a couple of times when I played Sunday league. I was punished as was Suarez. My only argument is that he is not a hero, he's a cheat and if Kyle Dived to get us a penaalty, which we scored, yes I would celebrate it but I wouldn't call him a hero. I'd call him a cheat. Hypocritical? Absolutely but you can dress it up however you like if you were Ghanaian you'd be fecking spewing and I'll remember all the defenders when we get mugged off by cheats again next year.

Suarez = hero.

I'd expect every other player to do the same in that situation.

Also:

suarez2_1671849c.jpg

Could get his head to it? Doubts.

Harry Palmer

Well, the entire BBC panel said every player would do the same.

Good enough for me.

A real team player. :)

Chaka Demus & pliers

Just a 1 game ban so he can play in the final should they make it.

I thought he could have got his head to it but he made sure he kept it out. He did the right thing for his country

I hope his country lose in the semi though due to my bet on Holland to win the trophy!

Just a 1 game ban so he can play in the final should they make it.

I thought he could have got his head to it but he made sure he kept it out. He did the right thing for his country

I hope his country lose in the semi though due to my bet on Holland to win the trophy!

After all last night's mawkish patronising of Ghana, Uruguay-Holland is going to be a tough one for the right-on media prats to call.

The Cheats Who Raped Mother Africa vs The Men Whose Forefathers Raped South Africa.

Boycott, anyone?

Can we assume that with the help of the opposition you broke all sprinting records going once the final whistle went? whistling.gif

That indeed would be a fair assumption...

Archived