Uruguay vs Ghana

Cade

Tactical fouls happen in football, from bringing a man down on the half-way line when a team is on the break to preventing a goal or a goal-scoring opportunity. There are appropriate punishments for these and there is nothing wrong with committing these type of fouls if the guilty player is willing to take the booking/sending-off in order to benefit their team or country. It was the 31st minute of Extra Time in a World Cup Quarter Final, if you let the ball pass you, your country has been eliminated from the tournament and millions of people will be disappointed, you have to do everything in your power to prevent this.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope Sepp Blatter moves to have the rest of the tournament cancelled now that plucky Ghana, the People's Favourites, have been cheated out of Africa's birthright by the evil South Americans.

RIP World Cup.

sad.gif

They will lose the semi-final. That's a cert I'd say. Tonight was their final, and they came through because they had balls of steel, and had to take on an entire continent in the process.

they'll be partying in Montevideo, and so they should be. Their team never lies down, never gives up, and does not know how to lose.

Except in your previous paragraph :whistling:

ITV coverage was verging on the pathetic. No reasoned analysis/replay of any incident at all. What's the point of having 4 people in a studio if they only speak for 10 seconds before yet another ad break?

dobmisterdobster

That is verging on racist Charlie. :angry:

I know. If he insulted Ghana like that then it would be considered racism. :angry:

:lol:

No chance, almost everyone would have done the same, its just an instinctive reaction. If a hearts player had the opportunity to do it and didn't to let in a goal that cost us a place in the semis of any tournament i'd be raging.

I wouldn't be raging at all if a Hearts player didn't cheat, in fact I'd be proud. That was cheating plain and simple. I don't celebrate a goal if a Hearts player cheats to do it. I'd rather see us lose than win by cheating. I'll leave that to the OF. I suppose you cheat at cards and steal your bairns' monopoly money when they're not watching?

shaun.lawson

I wouldn't be raging at all if a Hearts player didn't cheat, in fact I'd be proud. That was cheating plain and simple. I don't celebrate a goal if a Hearts player cheats to do it. I'd rather see us lose than win by cheating. I'll leave that to the OF. I suppose you cheat at cards and steal your bairns' monopoly money when they're not watching?

Are you kidding me? If Hearts had to beat one of the OF to win the Cup - or how about the league title? - and cheated to do so, you wouldn't celebrate? I'd be halfway to the moon.

My Uruguayan buddy Nico is now playing Gloriosa Celeste down MSN to me. Excellent! :thumbsup:

Have you ever played a competitive sport? I seriously doubt it, if you can't empathise with Suarez.

You can seriously doubt away, but yes I have, and I have done stuff like that myself although I'm not proud about it in retrospect, it's plain wrong. Should be a goal like they make it a try in rugby when a blatant foul prevents a try.

No, you're wrong. Stop talking rubbish.

Although, I don't blame you. Our shitty broadcasters didn't even show the 'freekick' that lead to the red card. Hopefully you'll see it again, and you'll see what we're all saying.

One shocking decision for another instinctive and reactionary save.

Hearts players don't cheat.

Is a tackle in the box that brings down a striker seen as cheating?

Suarez really does no different.

It's the close to the same thing with the same consequence yet you call one cheating- ???

JamboRossi79

typical cynical greasy latin slimeballs hope they lose the semi

Aye, as opposed to the cynical, dirty Dutch.

Is a tackle in the box that brings down a striker seen as cheating?

Suarez really does no different.

It's the close to the same thing with the same consequence yet you call one cheating- ???

One stops a CERTAIN goal, the other stops a goal scoring opportunity.

They are both cheating but one is higher up the scale than the other.

Harry Palmer

It wasn't cheating.

Suarez took one for the team. A real team player.

The Old Tolbooth

:thumbsup:

Maybe someone who loves football enough not to cheat? Not you obviously.

:conf11:

Charlie-Brown

ghana deserved to win and no love lost between scotland and uruguay so who cares, uruguay and argentina are notoriously cynical so who cares if i insulted them. Shaun Lawson admires them but i dont.

Are you kidding me? If Hearts had to beat one of the OF to win the Cup - or how about the league title? - and cheated to do so, you wouldn't celebrate? I'd be halfway to the moon.

Are you kidding me? No I wouldn't celebrate. Have you ever even been to a Hearts game in your life or do you just pontificate about what it means to follow the Hearts from the faraway dreary flatlands of East England? I've seen plenty of dodgy goals and goals that should have been including one for us following the most blatant punch into the net imaginable against Ayr United in the 70s, but no I wasn't celebrating that, it's cheating. If you win a game by cheating it means nothing, nothing at all.

Charlie-Brown

ghana deserved to win and no love lost between scotland and uruguay so who cares, uruguay and argentina are notoriously cynical so who cares if i insulted them. Shaun Lawson admires them but i dont.

shaun.lawson

1986 has sod all to do with 2010. How did Ghana deserve to win? Were Uruguay not denied a clear pen in extra time? Were Uruguay not victims of that ridiculous free kick award leading to the Suarez incident? And have you commented on Collins v Holland or Jordan v Wales? If not, why not?

It's "cynical", to do everything in your power to win for your people? Please.

dobmisterdobster

It's not Ghana's right to win. They have to earn it.

shaun.lawson

Are you kidding me? No I wouldn't celebrate. Have you ever even been to a Hearts game in your life or do you just pontificate about what it means to follow the Hearts from the faraway dreary flatlands of East England? I've seen plenty of dodgy goals and goals that should have been including one for us following the most blatant punch into the net imaginable against Ayr United in the 70s, but no I wasn't celebrating that, it's cheating. If you win a game by cheating it means nothing, nothing at all.

Diego Maradona would think differently. As would his people. As, I suspect, did most people in Scotland in 1986.

Ball could've hit Suarez in the face for all we know- not a certain goal.

A penalty goal would be an awful awful thing in football.

Harry Palmer

Indeed. Let's stop short of introducing laws/innovations from other sports.

My Uruguayan buddy Nico is now playing Gloriosa Celeste down MSN to me. Excellent! :thumbsup:

You wouldn't even be at the game if past experiences are to go by.

Oh and suarez cheated as if he spat on a player and then dived then handled on the line before raping joseph fritzl......i hope they get pumped in the semi.

why6 don't you write a book about it.

Charlie-Brown

i would support uruguay and argentina versus england but that doesn't stop them having a long standing and deserved reputation for cynical play and also cheating. It's not surprising that plenty people don't really like or admire them very much even tho they are often highly talented. I guess some people just have longer memories than others?

Suarez done what he had to do.

Cheating is if you do something wrong and dont get punished for it. Suarez done something wrong and he recieved his punishment so I dont understand why people are getting upset?

portobellojambo1

Wasn't cheating as such, cynical yes, but not cheating. Ghana had the chance to win the game, and didn't take it, then lost out as a result.

I think it is safe to say from that half of the draw the Netherlands will make the final.

Now it is just a case of whom they will meet in that final, Germany or Spain.

Hope it is Spain, because I think the Dutch and the Spanish could throw together a game which ensures this competition at least finishes on a high.

Wasn't cheating as such, cynical yes, but not cheating. Ghana had the chance to win the game, and didn't take it, then lost out as a result.

I think it is safe to say from that half of the draw the Netherlands will make the final.

Now it is just a case of whom they will meet in that final, Germany or Spain.

Hope it is Spain, because I think the Dutch and the Spanish could throw together a game which ensures this competition at least finishes on a high.

Completely writing off Argentina?

Wtf is a penalty goal??

PS. was it offside?

The player challenging with the keeperin the air - does he head the ball forward for the first player to take his shot?

Commander Harris

Wtf is a penalty goal??

I think he means something analogous to a penalty try in rugby. ?

Aye, as opposed to the cynical, dirty Dutch.

:lol::lol::lol:

aye ok then. I know which team were the biggest cheats in the tournament. Thankfully they were found out this afternoon. It's just a pity the ref didn't have the balls to show another red which was deserved.

Gooodbye Lucio, Maicon, Kaka.......

ArcticJambo

Glad Uruguay got through (makes me look like I know summin - had em in semis before WC started) but i thought the Suarez being paraded around up on shoulders after pen shoot-out somewhat tasteless.

Maybe just a back in your face you booing crowd.

Forlan hat-trick in the semi would make my day, ans a lot of cash.

ArcticJambo

The Robbo saves a certain goal in the Cup final vs the OF scenario .... I'd be drunk no doubt and shouting GIRUY, though I know it would be cheating but that's karma.

portobellojambo1

Completely writing off Argentina?

I think the Germans will do the same to Argentina as the Netherlands did to Brazil, put them on the back foot and expose weaknesses.

I've been as impressed by Argentina as I have with Brazil in this competition, which is not a lot. In their last 16 match they were outplayed by Mexico, but got through as a result of an invalid goal and a defensive mistake which closely followed that. It is unfortunate to say butI'd shed no tears if they depart, because I think Lionel Messi, as an individual is a superb player, Tevez has his moments as do one or two others, but collectively there is just something about them as a team that irks me, not sure what it is.

I've actually enjoyed watching both Germany and Spain, although my viewing has been limited to weekend/evening matches. I've not been overly impressed by Argentina, and think the Germans have the technical know how to derail them.

Bit long winded, as the short answer to your question is YES.

I think he means something analogous to a penalty try in rugby.

Which we have already....?

JamboRossi79

:lol::lol::lol:

aye ok then. I know which team were the biggest cheats in the tournament. Thankfully they were found out this afternoon. It's just a pity the ref didn't have the balls to show another red which was deserved.

Gooodbye Lucio, Maicon, Kaka.......

Lol compared to two of the dirtiest, most cynical players in this tournament De Jong and Van Bommel you are having a laugh.

Commander Harris

Which we have already....?

nope, A penalty try is when the ref awards a try after an offence that he judges to have stopped a try. ?The attack team don't have to convert anything, it's just awarded.

Lol compared to two of the dirtiest, most cynical players in this tournament De Jong and Van Bommel you are having a laugh.

van Bommel is too slow to be anywhere near the play. De Jong did nothing today.

Shall we mention Bastos? Melo? Juan? Kaka?

boo hoo hoo.

Brazil's tantrums finally caught up with them.

Holland 2 Brazil 1

that'll do me!

Earlier in the tournament we had people complaining that a penalty and a red card for denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity was too harsh a punishment and led to distorted games. Now it seems even the firing squad would be too good for Suarez. I suspect it's every bit as much to do with jumping on the sanctimonious, patronising, politically correct media bandwagon that cast us all as Ghana/Africa fans for the rest of the tournament as it is to do with dislike of Uruguay who, let's face it, haven't done a whole lot in this World Cup to provoke dislike.

Ghana bottled it. But they were the People's Bottlers.

Charlie-Brown

awarding a 'penalty goal' and sending off would be appropriate justice for deliberately preventing a goal like suarez did. I've heard far worse ideas.

Commander Harris

Earlier in the tournament we had people complaining that a penalty and a red card for denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity was too harsh a punishment and led to distorted games. Now it seems even the firing squad would be too good for Suarez. I suspect it's every bit as much to do with jumping on the sanctimonious, patronising, politically correct media bandwagon that cast us all as Ghana/Africa fans for the rest of the tournament as it is to do with dislike of Uruguay who, let's face it, haven't done a whole lot in this World Cup to provoke dislike.

accurate post imo. ?

They will lose the semi-final. That's a cert I'd say. Tonight was their final, and they came through because they had balls of steel, and had to take on an entire continent in the process.

Ghana had the chance to win it. They couldn't. If that had been England on the receiving end, everyone on here would be wetting themselves with laughter. A nation of three million people, with two World Cups, 14 Copa Americas and two Olympic titles has just reached another World Cup semi-final; and that's incredible.

Also... Uruguay lost the 2007 Copa America semi against Brazil - a game they were the better side in throughout - on penalties. Uruguay lost the 2004 Copa America semi against Brazil - another marvellous contest - on penalties. And they lost the 2006 World Cup qualifying play-off to Australia... on penalties. Sorry, but they've suffered enough; and Ghana only got through the first round because of a disgraceful refereeing display in Australia-Serbia.

I feel desperately, desperately sorry for Gyan, who's been one of the players of the tournament, and Ghana have been superb. Uruguay will be hated throughout the world as a result of this anyway (curious, given Argentina weren't hated after the Hand of God by anyone except the English); but they'll be partying in Montevideo, and so they should be. Their team never lies down, never gives up, and does not know how to lose.

Oh, and PS. It was never, ever a free kick to begin with.

So you've withdrawn all support for the penalty goal rather than penalty and red card which you had given in the Australia-Ghana thread. Just your average football hypocrite then, eh?

Different circumstances though.

One incident the ball rattled off the guy while his arms were by his side and he couldn't get them out the way.

The other incident the guy plays goalkeeper.

Surely you can see the difference?

shaun.lawson

So you've withdrawn all support for the penalty goal rather than penalty and red card which you had given in the Australia-Ghana thread. Just your average football hypocrite then, eh?

If the penalty goal is brought in, I'd completely support it. I think it's an excellent idea, to avoid controversies like tonight's, or Cahill's sending off, from which Ghana benefited: kudos to you for suggesting it. But under the laws of football as they are right now (laws which had people laughing their heads off at England on Sunday), Suarez had no choice in what he did. Ghana got a pen, Uruguay lost Suarez for the shoot-out, Ghana had pretty much the whole stadium behind them... yet Uruguay still came through.

Dr Ian Malcolm

Cynical, game winning know how >>>>> plucky enthusiasm.

Wasn't as if Suarez got away with it - he was red carded and his team conceded an injury time penalty. Not his fault Gyan's bottle crashed. Probably the most worthwhile red card ever.

ArcticJambo

van Bommel is too slow to be anywhere near the play. De Jong did nothing today.

Shall we mention Bastos? Melo? Juan? Kaka?

boo hoo hoo.

Brazil's tantrums finally caught up with them.

Holland 2 Brazil 1

that'll do me!

You magnanimous monger. :thumbsup: You must be enjoying yourself tonight. :lol:

If the penalty goal is brought in, I'd completely support it. I think it's an excellent idea, to avoid controversies like tonight's, or Cahill's sending off, from which Ghana benefited: kudos to you for suggesting it. But under the laws of football as they are right now (laws which had people laughing their heads off at England on Sunday), Suarez had no choice in what he did. Ghana got a pen, Uruguay lost Suarez for the shoot-out, Ghana had pretty much the whole stadium behind them... yet Uruguay still came through.

Uruguay won the moment Gyan missed.

Everyone knew it.

Quite right that under the current rules everything occurred as it should have.

I'm sure you'll agree that it would be slightly unsatisfactory to see the Final decided in a similar manner.

Indeed. Let's stop short of introducing laws/innovations from other sports.

Indeed, it does make one wonder if these FIFA pwicks actually believe the game of association football cannot be improved after 150 years and, God forbid, certainly not by taking it's lead from a 'junior' sport like rugby union.

I wonder if Sepp also believes that saving a certain goal by punching it out the net adds to the excitement of the match and fuels wondrous debate later on in the bars and homes across the world ......senile old ^^^^

Archived