Worst pub in edinburgh

Hound

Lock 25 at Tolcross. Constantly stinks of piss, vile!

I thought it was more of a fishy smell. Has actually just gone through another name change. Can't mind what it is now though. Looks pretty much the same inside from what I could see when I passed.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
heartgarfunkel

Agree Huey. Used to drink in the ormelie in Joppa years ago and it was a great boozer, always rammed, good service and had that feeling that only a good pub has.

It hasn't changed really at all in 25 years but I was in a couple of months ago on a Thursday, which used to be probably the best night of the week in there and it was a shadow of its former self.

Still looked the same, in fact exactly the same, but very tired looking and very quiet for a Thursday.

Some of the pubs in porty were unbelievable, galleon, pop inn, central, the royal, marine, Flying Dutchman etc. Some truly scary places with the sea beach probably the worst!

Used to be 28 pubs and clubs in porty/Joppa. Not many left now.

A great place to start your drinking career as a teenager though!

Once got a lift back from a hoose party in Pinkie in the back of a truck from some Royal Hotel regulars that you know (JB etc) who'd stolen a royal mail 7 and a half tonner.  Total ****ing lunatics, the lot of them.

what was the pub that was in the old bus station?

Think the travellers tryst was where new door is and the highwayman was inside.

Feel the need to try the ones on this thread that are still on the go but I haven't been to. Particularly dislike the southsider, every time I go there is at least one bum wearing a c*lt*c top

luckyBatistuta

Lock 25 at Tolcross. Constantly stinks of piss, vile!

Not been in it, but it surely has to be better than when it was the Clachan

Worked farm labouring with my old man in school summer holidays late 70s out Dalkeith way. Walked into Gilmerton, for a pint/get pay. Think it was the Drum or Gardiners, or pub nearby. First and only time I saw a Woman with a wooden leg, pirate like and folk putting their fag ends in nip glasses.....

Always a bad sign when there's only one dart.....

The Grapes , Newington

Gordon has the grapes running well, no bams allowed. Toilets are still tiny though, it's an old man's pub that's 2.60 a pint! cheap and cheerful. Of course there's always an occasional idiot trying to get in but swiftly told to bolt. Staff are good craic, they get a lot of overspill from the queens and never heard a bad word out of anyone who comes in, in fact heard a few compliments (mostly on price of drink.)

It HAD a bad reputation.

I'd recommend anyone who isn't afraid of a bit of swearing to head on in. Grab a cheap pint and have some craic.

Hey usually have at least one singer every weekend too. (I usually have my daughter so don't get there too often on Friday or saturday)

Incidentally, still a Celtic pub in essence however, hearts, hobos and celtic fans are equally represented to my mind. no fitbaw tops are allowed at all.

Siphiwe Tshabalala

I paid ?5.20 for a pint of Thistley Cross cider in that new place opposite the Waverley, where Sportsters used to be.

They describe the back area as a "Beer Palace".

For both these reasons, it can **** off.

I paid ?5.20 for a pint of Thistley Cross cider in that new place opposite the Waverley, where Sportsters used to be.

?5.20 a pint :wow:

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Young guy who served me seemed genuinely embarrassed.

The place was packed too.

I bought a bottle of some sort of craft IPA in the bar at my work last week, just a wee 350ml bottle. Very tasty it was as well, paid contactless so didn't really check the price. Imagine my surprise when I looked at my bank statement and discovered it was ?5.50. 

Young guy who served me seemed genuinely embarrassed.

The place was packed too.

Not surprised he was embarrassed, that's a horrendous price for a beer.

I bought a bottle of some sort of craft IPA in the bar at my work last week, just a wee 350ml bottle. Very tasty it was as well, paid contactless so didn't really check the price. Imagine my surprise when I looked at my bank statement and discovered it was ?5.50.

?5.50.

350ml.

:wtf:

The other day I walked past the Conan Doyle and they were advertising their 'famous' fish and chips for ?12.50 a pop.

Conan Doyle's famous fish & chips ? :rofl:

Obviously ripping people off at Festival Time, including folk from here.

Twats, but they are not alone. Everywhere will be doing the same with their price hikes....

Last time we were in Edinburgh (May) the place sort of opposite the Conan Doyle at the top of Broughton Street (Empress something, the old Mathers) shut their kitchen at 8.00pm instead of 10.00pm because it was 'raining and the chef had to get home'.

Wee lamb.

Was Chandlers around 1988 and Buzby's in 1982 got pictures of both.

Can remember it changing to Busbys but not to Chandlers what did the gunner change its name to in the late 80s

Say What Again

It can **** off for selling Thistly Cross as well. Only cider I can't drink. It tastes like there's about 10 spoonfuls of sugar in a pint!

On prices, a mate of mine paid ?6.20 for a pint in The Place on York Place. No idea what it was but he usually drinks lager.

Hope it was Tennants :lol:

It can **** off for selling Thistly Cross as well. Only cider I can't drink. It tastes like there's about 10 spoonfuls of sugar in a pint!

On prices, a mate of mine paid ?6.20 for a pint in The Place on York Place. No idea what it was but he usually drinks lager.

Probably was Tennants but from a Premiun lager font :lol:

Paid ?5 for a 1/3 of this at Christmas.................it was ******* amazing

450x450.jpg

11.8% ABV :wow:

Paid ?5 for a 1/3 of this at Christmas.................it was ******* amazing

450x450.jpg

love all these stouts/porters you get these days,....................but feckin hell 11.8%, couldnae have too many of them :lol:

Only had 1/3 of a pint. About the same as a large glass of vino.

Yeah, I suppose!

Imagine a few pints though. :)

Can remember it changing to Busbys but not to Chandlers what did the gunner change its name to in the lat

Pennyfarthing

Butch - Gunner was Penny Farthing for a while

With a big penny farthing on the outside wall to make it look all cool and friendly.

Pennyfarthing

I was always the tap and Wardle hotel my uncle's and my brother where always the ferryboat and d mains

Bowmans_Boot

What's the Marksman on Duke Street like? It looks a right dive from outside; the look of the smokers who stand outside does nothing to help this.

I used to drink there: very friendly and welcoming bar.

Yeah, I suppose!

Imagine a few pints though. :)

The flavour was that rich it would be a struggle to have even one pint.

Plus at ?15 a pint your bank manager would get you barred from the pub after anymore than that.

I was always the tap and Wardle hotel my uncle's and my brother where always the ferryboat and d mains

My photo used to be behind the bar in the tap. Granton ps when we won the mackie shield in 79 :)

I was always Doocot first, then ferryboat for the late disco or norhet for disco when I was younger

My photo used to be behind the bar in the tap. Granton ps when we won the mackie shield in 79 :)

I was always Doocot first, then ferryboat for the late disco or norhet for disco when I was younger

Only ever been in the ferryboat 3 times

Been in the doocot once

The Real Maroonblood

love all these stouts/porters you get these days,....................but feckin hell 11.8%, couldnae have too many of them :lol:

Like them as well but that particular one sounds excellent but not a session beer.

Like them as well but that particular one sounds excellent but not a session beer.

Correct.

11.8% is definitely not a session beer!

I'd try a pint once but probably not enjoy it.

Correct.

11.8% is definitely not a session beer!

I'd try a pint once but probably not enjoy it.

Its amazing. It does what it says on the tin. Liquid Christmas cake with a wee aftertaste of cinnamon.

I would also recommend the Buxton/Omnipollo Ice cream pale ale.

None of these are available in Edinburgh's worse pubs obviously!

Its amazing. It does what it says on the tin. Liquid Christmas cake with a wee aftertaste of cinnamon.

I would also recommend the Buxton/Omnipollo Ice cream pale ale.

None of these are available in Edinburgh's worse pubs obviously!

Got to say, Ice cream pale ale sounds good.

Got to say, Ice cream pale ale sounds good.

They do a Lemon Meringue one as well.

I rather enjoyed a Mojito Sour beer tonight.

They do a Lemon Meringue one as well.

I rather enjoyed a Mojito Sour beer tonight.

Stop.

Stop right now.

:)

Stephane Grappelli

Please, someone mention the International Bar (the IB) at Tollcross.

It's horrendous.

There's that Celtic pub up near the Meadows, cannae mind it's name but it's a ****ing hovel.

There's that Celtic pub up near the Meadows, cannae mind it's name but it's a ******* hovel.

Corner of the back of Tarvit Street?

Never heard of it.

Stop.

Stop right now.

:)

You should try Tiny Rebel's Cherry Bomb or their Stay Puft Marshmallow porter.......Yes it tastes of a porter first then marshmallow......

chester copperpot

There's that Celtic pub up near the Meadows, cannae mind it's name but it's a ******* hovel.

International bar.

Horrible place

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

You should try Tiny Rebel's Cherry Bomb or their Stay Puft Marshmallow porter.......Yes it tastes of a porter first then marshmallow......

Had tiny Rebel's doc brown, in the bow bar A couple weeks back. Tremendous stuff.

So many bad pubs nowadays.  I find myself drinking down Leith quite a lot now.  It is cheap, has good music, no kids and most allow ecigs. Can't stomach pubs that allow kids.

Siphiwe Tshabalala

I rarely drink it to be fair, I'm happy with Strongbow :laugh:

But it was a pleasant change until I was asked to pay up!

Although I do enjoy a pint of Aspall.

Say What Again

I rarely drink it to be fair, I'm happy with Strongbow :laugh:

But it was a pleasant change until I was asked to pay up!

Although I do enjoy a pint of Aspall.

Of all the ciders I'm probably happiest with Strongbow too! I like Aspall, Stowford Press, Thatchers etc, and really like Addlestones but it's far far too easy to drink. No gas. It literally is apple juice :lol:

Archived