Worst pub in edinburgh

Hound

I was in jocks lodge on sunday it is a total dive.Worst place I have ever been.The carpet alone made me sick.

Can anyone top this shitehole.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Say What Again

I was in jocks lodge on sunday it is a total dive.Worst place I have ever been.The carpet alone made me sick.

Believe it or not, the now closed Crown & Cushion next door was worse.

tommythejambo

Believe it or not, the now closed Crown & Cushion next door was worse.

That's Limelite now, the owner boy's not done too bad a job of it.

Scotties is a dive. One pub I have never really fancied the lok of is the Galleon in Portobello, looks like an utter hole!

the grosvenor on shandwick place - which used to be a nice & busy shop years ago - is a complete and utter s****hole now.

Were you shot? Or stabbed?

Worse lets just say my ass will never be the same :lol:

Pubs with dodgy carpets should be shut down IMO.

tommythejambo

Used to work in a pub with a crap carpet, it just brings the vibe of whole place down!

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Another one out of the closet then.

Have you got your season ticket at Fester Le Sheite Street yet ??

Another one out of the closet then.

Have you got your season ticket at Fester Le Sheite Street yet ??

Shut it or I will chop your legs off ya mup :lol:

I aint a HOBO

Danny Wilde

The Southsider has to be a contender.

According to pub-guide legend, an eclectic mix of colourful south-side locals and university students. Maybe (and I'm not convinced) that was true 25-30 years ago...

In reality (last time I was there 2 years ago) the bar area is a cheerless dirty hovel populated by jakeballs, one of whom was going around the tables asking if anyone wanted to buy DVDs.

midlothian P

Grey Horse on Dalkeith Road or Ground Zero as it should be known.

An absolute hovel.

The Southsider has to be a contender.

According to pub-guide legend, an eclectic mix of colourful south-side locals and university students. Maybe (and I'm not convinced) that was true 25-30 years ago...

In reality (last time I was there 2 years ago) the bar area is a cheerless dirty hovel populated by jakeballs, one of whom was going around the tables asking if anyone wanted to buy DVDs.

How many of the jakeballs had farmfoods bags :lol:

Say What Again
One pub I have never really fancied the lok of is the Galleon in Portobello, looks like an utter hole!

I've been in the Galleon a couple of times - not because I'm a regular I hasten to add, but because I don't like having pubs nearby that I haven't been in.

You're suspicions are correct, it's and absolute **** hole. I suspect most pubs that have a karaoke at 11am are :D

Further along the road, the Portobello Bar is another cesspit.

Johanes de Silentio

Not Edinburgh, obviously, but the Calderwood in Bonnyrigg, and 'The Bottom Shop' (whatever it's actually called) in Newtongrange are the dreggs.

tommythejambo

I've been in the Galleon a couple of times - not because I'm a regular I hasten to add, but because I don't like having pubs nearby that I haven't been in.

You're suspicions are correct, it's and absolute **** hole. I suspect most pubs that have a karaoke at 11am are :D

Haha! Not even mildy suprised!

Portobello bar looks a dive aswell, when there is jakeys outside smoking when your on your way to work at about 7am, you know there's something wrong.

Central Bar is Tam Kite aswell. Underagers and slightly overage vermin haven.

Think you actually have to go as far as the Ormelie to find a decent pub once you get near Portobello from the town.

Is it a bad thing that I would be quite happy having a pint in a few of those pubs mentioned, namely the calderwood, the bottom shop, the southsider and scotties? There are far worse kicking about in and around leith to be fair like the central and the tam o shanter!

Not all that bothered if a pub is full of old jakies, more likley to be put off by it being full of young neds ready to kick off tbh!

Charlie-Brown

Been in too many to mention but so many of the more traditional pubs have all closed down now but the Clock in Dalry Road was always a dump, of those still open the Marksman Bar in Leith is one of several bars in the immediate vicinity that are fairly honking shiteholes whilst the Auld Hoose in the Pleasance has always been quite dodgy - into the schemes each area has an infamous boozer.

tommythejambo

Is it a bad thing that I would be quite happy having a pint in a few of those pubs mentioned, namely the calderwood, the bottom shop, the southsider and scotties? There are far worse kicking about in and around leith to be fair like the central and the tam o shanter!

Not all that bothered if a pub is full of old jakies, more likley to be put off by it being full of young neds ready to kick off tbh!

Don't mind a pub full of old jakies, infact they can often be a good laugh.

However, I usually drink on Friday/Saturday/Sunday and most of the pubs I've mentioned always feel like they could kick off especially on Fri/Sat.

rossthejambo

That's Limelite now, the owner boy's not done too bad a job of it.

Scotties is a dive. One pub I have never really fancied the lok of is the Galleon in Portobello, looks like an utter hole!

You're suspicions are correct, it's and absolute **** hole. I suspect most pubs that have a karaoke at 11am are biggrin.gif

I'm noticing a common theme here whistling.gif

Why on earth did you go there in the first place?

Have you ever seen the carpet in Stratties ?

Jesus Christ :blink:

Why on earth did you go there in the first place?

Was playing football at meadowbank and we all went after to watch the germany game.

That is not the sort of pub I would normaly go near the strongbow tasted like acid aswell :down:

Have you ever seen the carpet in Stratties ?

Jesus Christ :blink:

Nope but it can't be as bad as the lodge's carpet.

Why the hell do pubs have carpets anyway.Is it not easier to clean split pints/piss/blood off a wooden floor?

Say What Again

That rules Scotties out for you then.

Greenbank2

Don't mind a pub full of old jakies, infact they can often be a good laugh.

However, I usually drink on Friday/Saturday/Sunday and most of the pubs I've mentioned always feel like they could kick off especially on Fri/Sat.

You must frequent The Kings Arms at Tollcross then! AKA Jakey Central.

The KA is a scream. It actually looks very welcoming from the outside and tourists are often lured in. However, inside is an

enchanting den of Jakeys. It's one of the few pubs I know where they are happy for you to bring in your fish supper from

next door, or leave your mangy dug while doing the shopping in Scotmid over the road. Karaoke of a weekend evening is hysterical.

It still sells tartan special on draught. 'Nuff said.

You must frequent The Kings Arms at Tollcross then! AKA Jakey Central.

The KA is a scream. It actually looks very welcoming from the outside and tourists are often lured in. However, inside is an

enchanting den of Jakeys. It's one of the few pubs I know where they are happy for you to bring in your fish supper from

next door, or leave your mangy dug while doing the shopping in Scotmid over the road. Karaoke of a weekend evening is hysterical.

It still sells tartan special on draught. 'Nuff said.

My grandad drinks in there :lol:

Dough Ball

I've never been or ever will be in this cesspit...

LINKY

:yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky: :yucky:

The only pub I have been in where 70 year old guys started fighting over dominoes, however saying that I felt safer drinking in there than I did when in the Marmion at Gracemount, that pub seemed to be run by the locals with guys happily smoking at the bar and "deals" being done in view of everyone, That was one pub I was glad to get back out of.

heartsfc_fan

Never been in this place, but driven by it many a time and it looks like a hole.

Good companions (or the goodies pub) in oxgangs 10 secs from the library.

Heard a few "stories" from mates who used to go there :rolleyes:

tommythejambo

I'm noticing a common theme here whistling.gif

Ha! Might add, I'm not actually from Portobello, but my mum and a few of my mates stay there, and I can't help but notice the poor quality of their drinking establishments.

I'm a Broadfields man mainly. Although I'm quite liking the Radical Road, which has recently opened along the other end of Northfield Broadway.

They had a Clash tribute band on a few weeks ago, nuff said.

Say What Again
I'm a Broadfields man mainly. Although I'm quite liking the Radical Road, which has recently opened along the other end of Northfield Broadway.

I haven't tried the Radical Road yet but I'm off next week so will probably check it out.

I quite like Broadfields but haven't been in for a while. Ellwyn for me.

tommythejambo

I haven't tried the Radical Road yet but I'm off next week so will probably check it out.

I quite like Broadfields but haven't been in for a while. Ellwyn for me.

Definately worth a look mate, bit expensive but I think that's just to keep the riff-raff out, as it's very close to the Grove, food's excellent aswell.

I'm going to be seeing alot more of Broadfields this year as they've just agreed to sponsor our Sunday team.

Nikoliunas

MORNINGside GLORY, people actualy sit and read books! you made to feel out of order for even talking!

Never been in this place, but driven by it many a time and it looks like a hole.

Good companions (or the goodies pub) in oxgangs 10 secs from the library.

Heard a few "stories" from mates who used to go there :rolleyes:

The Goodies is a brilliant boozer .

portobellojambo1

As a former resident of Portobello, I have had cause to drink in many of the pubs mentioned in this thread on that side of the town, Jocks Lodge, Crown and Cushion, Portobello Bar, The Galleon, for example, amongst many others.

Never had a problem in any of them, but in life it tends to be more a case of not what you know, but who you know. Had no problems with any of the clientele in those pubs, but in my life I've also been a client of the likes of the Marischal Arms (or whatever it is called now) and Craigmillar Castle Tavern (before it became infested by plastic paddys), and after you've seen some of the things that happened in the latter two, everything else was a breeze.

The only pub I have to say I have felt uncomfortable in in that area was Broadfields on Northfield Broadway. The tables looked like they had been imported from a greasy takeway cafe, and it was a haven for Hibernian fans.

Say What Again
The only pub I have to say I have felt uncomfortable in in that area was Broadfields on Northfield Broadway. The tables looked like they had been imported from a greasy takeway cafe, and it was a haven for Hibernian fans.

It's had a fair bit of cash spent on it since those days PJ and looks good for it.

The Real Maroonblood

Robertsons Bar is supposed to be a bit of a dive.

dodethejambo

The Royal bottom of Moredunvale Road. Dive

Feck it took two page for someone to mention this place

:unsure:

davemclaren

Too many to mention - The Grapes, Doolittles ( remember that? ), The Clock inn... :whistling:

Say What Again

The now closed (sadly) White Horse on the Canongate deserves a mention. An absolute gem of a bar on a Saturday night, but one of the mankiest I've been in.

Archived