Worst pub in edinburgh

Hound

• 7 years later...
  • Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Oak in Corstorphine wasn't half ran in to the ground over a few years before closing last month.

Shame really.

The Oak in Corstorphine wasn't half ran in to the ground over a few years before closing last month.

Shame really.

When I lived in Clerwood I often walked down and had a couple of pints before dinner, always thought it was a really nice old style pub.  Many years ago as it is hard to believe it dropped that bad.

When I lived in Clerwood I often walked down and had a couple of pints before dinner, always thought it was a really nice old style pub. Many years ago as it is hard to believe it dropped that bad.

Being gentrified I believe Bob. Reopening as a Bar and Grill complete with a name change.

Hadn't been great for a long time. Didn't help that a big Wetherspoon hotel opened next door to it. Might of been Dingwalls furniture store when you lived here? That's the first thing I remember it as anyway.

The Southsider has to be a contender.

According to pub-guide legend, an eclectic mix of colourful south-side locals and university students. Maybe (and I'm not convinced) that was true 25-30 years ago...

In reality (last time I was there 2 years ago) the bar area is a cheerless dirty hovel populated by jakeballs, one of whom was going around the tables asking if anyone wanted to buy DVDs.

:spoton:

WoolfordsHearts

Shame really.

That IS a shame.

I used to travel through regular to it before games 10/11 years ago and it had lot of good Hearts guys in it.

The Royal bottom of Moredunvale Road. Dive

My Cop mates have told me a few stories about this place.

Apparently when meat is stolen from the Scotmind in the Inch, they head to this pub to catch the person selling it.

Omans at peffermill

Another quite nice wee pub in the past days.  I have a wee story about a burglar alarm there one night.  We attended the manager let us in, no sign of any problems, but somebody suggested we check the cellar   in case it was a lock in situation., The big heavy trap door was lifted and I started down the stairs, the managers dog bumped the trap door, and it came down and banged my head, I got a fair cut above my eye.  The guys gave me a run up to the old RIE, and while I was in there the sergeant and the inspector came, it was like two vacuum cleaners sniffing my breath to see if I had been drinking in the pub. Unfortunaterly I had been injured to early to get one.

Please, someone mention the International Bar (the IB) at Tollcross.

It's horrendous.

What's the Marksman on Duke Street like?  It looks a right dive from outside; the look of the smokers who stand outside does nothing to help this.

The Southsider was mentioned, I was in there on Saturday, didnt think it was that bad tbh, mind you wouldnt go out my way to head there, from there we headed to Holyrood 9A, had a few pints of Pilot Mochaccino, a milk coffee flavoured stout, absolutely superb.

http://pilotbeer.co.uk/?avada_portfolio=pilot-mochaccino-stout&portfolioCats=15%2C13%2C14

What's the Marksman on Duke Street like?  It looks a right dive from outside; the look of the smokers who stand outside does nothing to help this.

It fair to say that it's as good as it looks.

The Vine in leith was interesting back in the day, has it yuppified yet ?

No.

The worst bar in Leith is the Spey. No doubt about it.

The Oxford Bar. Rebus banter or not that is a crap wee pub.

Used to go there sometimes when Willie Ross was the publican. A proper drinker's bar - I think there was one heavy beer on tap, and a collection of whiskies behind the bar, along with the obligatory "don't ask for Babycham - we do not stock it" notice. Literary types propping up the bar, looking as if they would fall over if they let go.

Got thrown out once when one of my colleagues (a lawyer and a New Town yuppie) inadvisedly asked for a sweet sherry...

The Ferry boat. End of thread.

This [emoji38]

That place is unreal. Always busy though.

Sent from my VFD 600 using Tapatalk

No.

The worst bar in Leith is the Spey. No doubt about it.

... otherwise know as the Star Wars bar

... otherwise know as the Star Wars bar

Its probably worse.

My mates and I frequently drink in Leith and usually take in a few pubs down Leith Walk. They always go in there. I take a detour and meet them in the Central. Not a chance you'll catch me in the Spey.

Seymour M Hersh

Anyone remember the Ivanhoe in South St David's St? All the paraffin lamps/jakeballs of the day used to be in there guttered. Once saw about 8 of them having a battle but they were all so pished they were just leaning on each other or falling down. One of the funniest things I seen. No idea why but 4 or 5 of us (office worker sorts) used to go in their most Fridays for an hour or so (maybe the beer was quite good, certainly cheap). Total dump though.

Anyone remember the Ivanhoe in South St David's St? All the paraffin lamps/jakeballs of the day used to be in there guttered. Once saw about 8 of them having a battle but they were all so pished they were just leaning on each other or falling down. One of the funniest things I seen. No idea why but 4 or 5 of us (office worker sorts) used to go in their most Fridays for an hour or so (maybe the beer was quite good, certainly cheap). Total dump though.

Was that the place that became Rakes?

MacDonald Jardine

I had a summer job in the Scottish Provident and we used to go in there.

Never seemed that bad to me TBH although I think it also had a reputation for attracting prostitutes before they began work.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MacDonald Jardine

Was that the place that became Rakes?

That's the one.

That's the one.

Ta.

Thought so. The guy that ran Rakes was the brother of the guy who had Mr Mustards I think?

Am I right?

MacDonald Jardine

Ta.

Thought so. The guy that ran Rakes was the brother of the guy who had Mr Mustards I think?

Am I right?

Not sure to be honest.

He asked my and my mates to finish our pints and leave as wee looked a bit on the young side.

He was quite nice about it and to be fair we were 13.

Rakes, Gatsbys, Cottars howf, grosvenor were the bars of choice for us underagers.

All old haunts of mine too apart from the Grosvenor.

I'll replace it with the Illicit Still and The Galloping Major.

what was the pub that was in the old bus station?

The International Bar is indeed a shitehole. I used to live in Tarvit Street and gaggles of Celtic fans hanging around was common.

there's only 8 pubs mentioned I havn't been in on occasion and I could still top most with

the gunner

the white house

and the artful dodger

how could I forget the norhet in dmains.

there's only 8 pubs mentioned I havn't been in on occasion and I could still top most with

the gunner

the white house

and the artful dodger

how could I forget the norhet in dmains.

WTF is wrong wi the Norhet? Gunner was ok too. You're just too soft, stick tae the telford :D

Ron Burgundy

The Coopers rest on Easter Road.

Few of us headed down that neck of the woods after a derby one night to wind up the locals and got dropped off outside it.

Walked in and there was a barmaid, one punter and a guy on keyboards with disco lights doing a cabaret stint.

Left and went to the Persevere which was not much better.

Few of us headed down that neck of the woods after a derby one night to wind up the locals and got dropped off outside it.

Walked in and there was a barmaid, one punter and a guy on keyboards with disco lights doing a cabaret stint.

Ron?

Did you know Gerry D'Agostino who owned the Persevere?

sounds about right ..... now that place was scary

Was the station bar in Waverley Station not a bit iffy too?

Ron Burgundy

Ron?

Did you know Gerry D'Agostino who owned the Persevere?

Nope mate only been in twice, both times SAS style, in and out.

Say What Again

Think the Coopers has been shut for at least 3/4 year now.

Still has '5-1' in the tarmac outside, which pleases me every time I walk past :lol:

WTF is wrong wi the Norhet? Gunner was ok too. You're just too soft, stick tae the telford :D

haha, the gunner ok. I remember the 1st time walked in there, carpet was pealing away from the wall and had holes all over it, the ceiling tiles were all broken and falling down. norhet used to be no bad but that's a while ago now. the telford is just crap these days, doocot was the best doon there but even that's pish noo. auld inns no bad.

The Old Tolbooth

What about the crofters that is a dodgy place IMO

Now a Beijing Banquet with a live cooking station, damn good as well! 

Archived