Worst pub in edinburgh

Hound

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Ferry boat. End of thread.

That's the one on Ferry Road and it used to change its name every time someone got murdered.

:eek::laugh:

Seymour M Hersh

what was the pub that was in the old bus station?

As folk have mentioned there was two boozers The Highwayman was right in the middle where the buses parked up and the Travellers Tryst which was to the left of where the buses exited into the square. Not sure that Andy Bowman ran it but he certainly bevied in it the mid 80's. 

Not been down that way in years but is that dive the Willie Muir still open?

Flattened by bulldozers. Possibly the dodgiest boozer in Edinburgh that I ever had the pleasure of having a pint in. Raids between it and the Anchor used to be a thing back in the day. 

That's the one on Ferry Road and it used to change its name every time someone got murdered.

:cornette:

Hope that's not true!!

Flattened by bulldozers. Possibly the dodgiest boozer in Edinburgh that I ever had the pleasure of having a pint in. Raids between it and the Anchor used to be a thing back in the day.

Went to a stag party there and the girl collecting the glasses went to my primary school and I went home with her. I stayed at West Pilton Green and she stayed 5 mins from Granton Square.

Omans at peffermill

popped in a few weeks ago

a bit mad, but not bad, really

pool table and juke box. Busy on a Wednesday

Guess am just nostalgic for real pubs -- and this is one

What's Winstons up in Corstorphine like?

Used to work up that way, and always walked past it. Never struck me as at the sort of place to go in and try :lol:

Used to work up that way, and always walked past it. Never struck me as at the sort of place to go in and try :lol:

The Centurion looks dire too.

As does the Silver Wing near Longstone.

As folk have mentioned there was two boozers The Highwayman was right in the middle where the buses parked up and the Travellers Tryst which was to the left of where the buses exited into the square. Not sure that Andy Bowman ran it but he certainly bevied in it the mid 80's.

My mum managed The Highwayman for many years,I helped out in the cellar circa 1977.My Aunt worked in The Tryst at the same time Tommy Preston was the manager.

Some great times in both pubs

Winstons is probably the best pub in Corstorphine.

haha, the gunner ok. I remember the 1st time walked in there, carpet was pealing away from the wall and had holes all over it, the ceiling tiles were all broken and falling down. norhet used to be no bad but that's a while ago now. the telford is just crap these days, doocot was the best doon there but even that's pish noo. auld inns no bad.

The Norhet is the best pub in D Mains nowadays. The other two have gone downhill badly.

The Norhet is the best pub in D Mains nowadays. The other two have gone downhill badly.

McKenzie's has shut down and has had to let signs up for weeks. 

Doctor FinnBarr

What sort of a pub was The Spot above St James' Centre?

I only ask as a youngster in the mid 70s my mates old man used to manage it for Tennants. We would go and doss with him at the weekends and crate the empties on a Saturday night then refill the shelves on the Sunday morning and got rewarded with 2 pints each day (after hours) and a Chinese at the place across from the Playhouse.

Memory isn't so good as to remember whether it was a good or bad pub.

The Tron on Hunters Square is pretty awful

Its a shithole ,but far from the worst.

Getting a major revamp soon i believe.

I noticed the Oxford Bar and the manager Willie Ross mentioned, was Willie Ross by any chance a retired Edinburgh Police person.

John Findlay

Went to a stag party there and the girl collecting the glasses went to my primary school and I went home with her. I stayed at West Pilton Green and she stayed 5 mins from Granton Square.

Craigmuir Pirniehall or Saint David's? I was at Pirniehall 72-74. Stayed in the circus.

PS. Had my grandad dickson's wake in the Willie Muir way back in 1980.

The Centurion looks dire too.

As does the Silver Wing near Longstone.

Oh god, The Silver Wing. Wouldn't have a pint in there if someone else was paying for it.

Probably the roughest pubs I have been to on a semi regular basis ( no partic order )

Parrot Cage

Gauntlet

Busy Bee

Dykes

Silver Wing

The Dodger

Spiders Web

Ckub 85

Mechanics

Gardeners

Cabin

Crofters

Penthouse

Lord Darnley

Ferryboat

Waverley

Dianes

quite posh actually

Shanks said no

quite posh actually

Its an ok pub albeit a bit clichey, the sort of boozer you would expect a lot of off duty coppers would drink in (no offence intended). 

The small rectangular shape doesn't help as everyone tends to sit against the walls looking into the centre.

Was it really a launderette originally?

zoltan socrates

It is as far as I'm aware :laugh:

What else has it been known as? Always been the ferry boat afaik, wouldnt go within 100 yds of the place though

Ill nominate the mackenzies bar in d mains, also been called the mutton hole or lambs ***** for the locals, only ever opens for a year brfore it shuts down and is on the market yet the infinite shitehole that is the norhet thrives, dont get it

Probably the roughest pubs I have been to on a semi regular basis ( no partic order )

Parrot Cage

Gauntlet

Busy Bee

Dykes

Silver Wing

The Dodger

Spiders Web

Ckub 85

Mechanics

Gardeners

Cabin

Crofters

Penthouseg

Lord Darnley

Ferryboat

Waverley

Dianes

I was going to mention Diane's yesterday but kept it to pubs.

Wouldn't have called the Penthouse rough though General. Not any of the many times I was in there anyway.

Maybe I was just lucky!

Used to have a no swearing rule apparently. Don't know if it still applies.

Feck that !

'I've been barred for swearing in there' type post.

Auld Reekin'

Its an ok pub albeit a bit clichey, the sort of boozer you would expect a lot of off duty coppers would drink in (no offence intended). 

The small rectangular shape doesn't help as everyone tends to sit against the walls looking into the centre.

Was it really a launderette originally?

Yup.

I was going to mention Diane's yesterday but kept it to pubs.

Wouldn't have called the Penthouse rough though General. Not any of the many times I was in there anyway.

Maybe I was just lucky!

one of the worst fights I ever saw was in there TCR v Barox ... at least 3 folk got glassed , it was sickening

maybe that colours my judgement

one of the worst fights I ever saw was in there TCR v Barox ... at least 3 folk got glassed , it was sickening

maybe that colours my judgement

Late 70's?

Jings.

Iircc I think ex hobo Pat Stanton owned it, which also explains why it always smelled of stale piss.

Parrot Cage

Gauntlet

Busy Bee

Dykes

Silver Wing

The Dodger

Spiders Web

Ckub 85

Mechanics

Gardeners

Cabin

Crofters

Penthouse

Lord Darnley

Ferryboat

Waverley

Dianes

The Good Companions have been on the phone and wish to complain at their exclusion.

The Good Companions have been on the phone and wish to complain at their exclusion.

:lol:

ha ha I dont thnk I was ever in there

but there was also a few dodgy hotels back in the day before pubs open on the Sabbath

ha ha I dont thnk I was ever in there

but there was also a few dodgy hotels back in the day before pubs open on the Sabbath

The Mount Grange Hotel was always good for a wee Sunday afternoon brawl.

An old chestnut of mine - the Penny Black.

More fights than Caesars Palace.

I used to go to the Penny Black, very regularly, when I worked in a nightclub in the early 2000s. I never saw any fighting at any point.

Ferryboat ain't half as bad as people think. Typical local boozer.

Southsider ain't bad at all. If folk on here think it's a total dive then you must all be toffs. Everyone I go in there's quite alot of people eating meals quietly among themselves.

I used to go to the Penny Black, very regularly, when I worked in a nightclub in the early 2000s. I never saw any fighting at any point.

Mid to late 90's for me Chester.

Maybe a slight exaggeration from me but most Fridays when in for a quick pint after work there was a usually something going on or kicking off.

You thinking of the same one? Ferryboat has had its name since I was born. 1993 at least.

You thinking of the same one? Ferryboat has had its name since I was born. 1993 at least.

Yeah. I lived in Granton for 6 years,1983-89 then West Pilton from 1992-1997.

Jambo, Goodbye

The Midyoken still going? Never liked that place.

Once heard a story about a guy getting his thumb bitten off in there.

Yeah. I lived in Granton for 6 years,1983-89 then West Pilton from 1992-1997.

No worries mate. Just I've only ever known it to be the Ferryboat.

Archived