Worst pub in edinburgh

Hound

The Midyoken still going? Never liked that place.

Once heard a story about a guy getting his thumb bitten off in there.

I live nearby in Craigmount and I've only been in once, and that was the lounge where there was about 3 people.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
crunchy frog

It's still there. I virtually lived in there between 88 and 92. Been back once or twice recently and the same faces from 30 year ago still use it. Seen plenty bother there but it was no worse than any other scheme pub.

Auld Reekin'

:gotwife:

I think Doug had his brain bitten off in there...

It's still there. I virtually lived in there between 88 and 92. Been back once or twice recently and the same faces from 30 year ago still use it. Seen plenty bother there but it was no worse than any other scheme pub.

Do you know/remember a guy called Craig Poole, I worked with him for years and we'd drink in there along with a guy known as Stevie "bullshit" Beatty?

Omans at peffermill

not been there for donkey years.....

Always remember long haired charlie who drank there and up in sandy bells..great character.

Please, someone mention the International Bar (the IB) at Tollcross.

It's horrendous.

I heard it had been gentrified.... :)

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Winstons is probably the best pub in Corstorphine.

Nice pub but you are likely to get thrown out for breaking in to a conversation :lol:

Mid to late 90's for me Chester.

Maybe a slight exaggeration from me but most Fridays when in for a quick pint after work there was a usually something going on or kicking off.

Used to drink In the Chessar, late 80s when I worked across the road in pent!and house. Really great Friday nights....

The Postillion.

Was that the bar, o!d travellers tryst that had female go go's for women clientele at o he time.

What's The Western Bar like these days ?

Pass it regularly, seems the same... Dont know when they started charging to get in to those stripper pubs...... Free in the 80s. :)

Anyone ever had the misfortune of entering the centurions toilets?

Not for a many a year. Always found it a strange pub all round.

132goals1958

When I first started going out with the good lady (over 50 years ago) we sometimes went for a drink with her old man at his local - The Liberton Inn. It was owned by the Woods who were father and brother to the late Ian Wood, an outstanding and well respected Scotsman sports journalist. It was one of the friendliest, respectable, traditional, and atmospheric bars around with never a hint of bother. Sad to see how it degenerated over the years and I believe it had his licence withdrawn. There really are some occasions when you wish you could go back to the good old days.

Used to drink In the Chessar, late 80s when I worked across the road in pent!and house. Really great Friday nights....

Think you've misread my post Huey.

John Findlay

You thinking of the same one? Ferryboat has had its name since I was born. 1993 at least.

Always the Ferryboat and I go back to 1972 as a nine year old. We started young as underage drinkers then:-0)

...a bit disco

Me too. Same time but working in Chesser House before we moved to Govt Buildings and had to make the Busy Bee our  go to pub.

The joys of flexitime!

The last time I was in there one of the 'dancers' had a flashing light attached to a piercing in a very intimate area.

Not been back since.....

:Aye:

crunchy frog

Do you know/remember a guy called Craig Poole, I worked with him for years and we'd drink in there along with a guy known as Stevie "bullshit" Beatty?

I've heard of beatty. Got his burd pregnant then royally dumped her.

What's Winstons up in Corstorphine like?

Used to work up that way, and always walked past it. Never struck me as at the sort of place to go in and try :lol:

Used to drink in Winstons regularly. Small place, never any chance of any bother (except when 2 of the barmen staged a fake armed robbery when one of them was locking up one night. They got found out) and you aren't allowed to swear.

As for The Silver Wing, you should give it a try. The locals are entertaining.

Think you've misread my post Huey.

Read chester, though chessar... :)

And that's me sober......

Me too. Same time but working in Chesser House before we moved to Govt Buildings and had to make the Busy Bee our  go to pub.

The joys of flexitime!

Yes, we moved as well to gov buildings at saughton... Vehicle excise.

The busy bee was further away, very quiet, if I remember well..

The Vietnam (aka Dundee Arms)

Been in there with a brawl breaking out, 20 years agoish....

Had a good pool table at that time....

Was in a few weeks ago, lots guest ales but quite empty...

The Chesser ( and Luckies ) were great pubs when they first opened

Pretty strict and quick to bar any trouble makers ? with Broomtown and the Westerhaliens just up the road they had to be.

Latterly the Chess was pretty radge full of guys straight out of Saughton Prison

Always the Ferryboat and I go back to 1972 as a nine year old. We started young as underage drinkers then:-0)

Not true John. Was once Buzby's for a while. I'm sure it had another name too but cant remember what it was. Everybody still called the ferryboat. I've lived down there all my days (1968)

John Findlay

Not true John. Was once Buzby's for a while. I'm sure it had another name too but cant remember what it was. Everybody still called the ferryboat. I've lived down there all my days (1968)

Fair enough. I left ferry road drive in 79. Only came back permanently in 05

Read chester, though chessar... :)

And that's me sober......

That's what I thought had happened!!

:lol:

Fair enough. I left ferry road drive in 79. Only came back permanently in 05

I Think it was late 80's or early 90's

The Real Maroonblood

Used to drink in Winstons regularly. Small place, never any chance of any bother (except when 2 of the barmen staged a fake armed robbery when one of them was locking up one night. They got found out) and you aren't allowed to swear.

As for The Silver Wing, you should give it a try. The locals are entertaining.

I used to go to Winstons quite regularly and at the time of the robbery I asked them about it and they said that it traumatised them.

Then found out like you it was staged.

The Real Maroonblood

When I first started going out with the good lady (over 50 years ago) we sometimes went for a drink with her old man at his local - The Liberton Inn. It was owned by the Woods who were father and brother to the late Ian Wood, an outstanding and well respected Scotsman sports journalist. It was one of the friendliest, respectable, traditional, and atmospheric bars around with never a hint of bother. Sad to see how it degenerated over the years and I believe it had his licence withdrawn. There really are some occasions when you wish you could go back to the good old days.

It's closed now.

132goals1958

It's closed now.

What a pity. Used to be a good pub in a good location. As I alluded to earlier some things change for the worse.

The Chesser ( and Luckies ) were great pubs when they first opened

Pretty strict and quick to bar any trouble makers ? with Broomtown and the Westerhaliens just up the road they had to be.

Latterly the Chess was pretty radge full of guys straight out of Saughton Prison

Its funny to watch a pub you have frequented for many years really go down thee tubes...

I visited the lord darnley, for many years...could see the carpets, lighting, general decor, bar staff and clientele go so downhill, don't you know...... :)

It's closed now.

Is that the pub along from mount Vernon cemetery and the crematorium...if so put on a great spread for my dads funeral...

Its funny to watch a pub you have frequented for many years really go down thee tubes...

I visited the lord darnley, for many years...could see the carpets, lighting, general decor, bar staff and clientele go so downhill, don't you know...... :)

was a decent music venue later though

Say What Again

BB, as I'm sure you know, the Galleon still is 'unbelievable' :lol:

In a what the **** is this place kinda way.

Serj Tankian

Agree Huey. Used to drink in the ormelie in Joppa years ago and it was a great boozer, always rammed, good service and had that feeling that only a good pub has.

It hasn't changed really at all in 25 years but I was in a couple of months ago on a Thursday, which used to be probably the best night of the week in there and it was a shadow of its former self.

Still looked the same, in fact exactly the same, but very tired looking and very quiet for a Thursday.

Some of the pubs in porty were unbelievable, galleon, pop inn, central, the royal, marine, Flying Dutchman etc. Some truly scary places with the sea beach probably the worst!

Used to be 28 pubs and clubs in porty/Joppa. Not many left now.

A great place to start your drinking career as a teenager though!

The Seabeach was the meeting place for Portobello Hearts in the early 80's always served you despite being underage . Had many good player of the year awards there .

crunchy frog

Walked past The Stathie in Iona Street today.

Jeezo!

Does anyone ever go there ?

Me. I like it.

That band magic numbers filmed a video in there my mate is the guy with the shaved heid

It was great fun that day everybody was pleasantly smashed, really nice folk. Apart from the drummer. He was a total dong.

The Real Maroonblood

Is that the pub along from mount Vernon cemetery and the crematorium...if so put on a great spread for my dads funeral...

Yes it is just along from the cemetery at the traffic lights.

crunchy frog

EDIT:

Me. I like it.

That band magic numbers filmed a video in there my mate is the guy with the shaved heid at the end of the bar

It was great fun that day everybody was pleasantly smashed, really nice folk. Apart from the drummer. He was a total dong.

Was Chandlers around 1988 and Buzby's in 1982 got pictures of both.

Jam Tarts 1874

Me. I like it.

That band magic numbers filmed a video in there my mate is the guy with the shaved heid

Interesting, it just looked like one of those no-go places from the outside with a couple of daytime drunks hanging about outside.

Just goes to show how wrong first impressions can be.

Say What Again

Not been in for maybe 15 years, possibly 20. Was playing darts with the seal clubbing jambo in the arctic who posts on here.

A mate of ours who has had major bevvy problems was having a kip on the wall length seats. Was a Saturday afternoon.

Me and another mate took our bursds to the pop inn, central bar and portobello bar one night. They were not impressed. The only thing the pop inn had going for it was that it was next to the police station.

Bursds eh? Never happy :lol:

The first time I ever set foot in the galleon there was a boy singing karaoke, with the mic in one hand and a doner kebab in the other.

After finishing his song he asked an old boy sat at the front of the bar, alone, if he wanted the rest of his half chowed kebab. The old boy got tore right into it.

Archived