Derek Ferguson's comments at a Show Racism the Red Card event today

GlasgowJambo

GlasgowJambo

I was at a Show Racism the Red Card event with pupils from my school this afternoon, and heard some comments from Derek Ferguson who was on the panel which really angered me.

Basically Ferguson began a story about how he had been friends with Mark Walters at Rangers and continued that he had witnessed racist abuse from a set of rival fans in the form of chants and bananas being thrown. He descibed how he appealed to the police for something to be done, all the while he did not mention which fans until he then said without warning that it was the Hearts fans. He said Hearts subsequently banned several fans.

I was unaware of this incident, so although shocked I was also angered that he chose not to mention that it had happened at Celtic Park, and that in fact Rangers banned several fans for perceived racist abuse directed at Walters.

Ferguson claimed that Walters suffered racist abuse at "every away ground", but only specifically mentioned one club - Hearts - to 90 impressionable 11-year-olds. The same club he was happy to sign for Hearts 2 years later and no doubt pocket a massive signing on fee. The same player who is by his own admission "Rangers through and through", a supporter of one of Britain's most vile football clubs.

Mickey Weir was also there, as was Stevie Kirk. But those are stories for another day!

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know how bad it was a darkheid but what I do know is that it was despicable at Tynecastle that night,never have I felt so sorry for an opposing player,I was right in the thick of it in the jungle(pardon the pun),there were loads of impressionable kids their as well(why not have a go about that).

All this "it was worse with them" reeks of pesh,it happened in a huge way at Tynecastle enough for MW to comment on it and now DF.

What i can gather form all this is that you yourself were not anywhere near Tynecastle that night or you wouldn't be bringing the whole sad affair back up on a message board with young impressionable kids able to gain access to it.

I was at a Show Racism the Red Card event with pupils from my school this afternoon, and heard some comments from Derek Ferguson who was on the panel which really angered me.

Basically Ferguson began a story about how he had been friends with Mark Walters at Rangers and continued that he had witnessed racist abuse from a set of rival fans in the form of chants and bananas being thrown. He descibed how he appealed to the police for something to be done, all the while he did not mention which fans until he then said without warning that it was the Hearts fans. He said Hearts subsequently banned several fans.

I was unaware of this incident, so although shocked I was also angered that he chose not to mention that it had happened at Celtic Park, and that in fact Rangers banned several fans for perceived racist abuse directed at Walters.

Ferguson claimed that Walters suffered racist abuse at "every away ground", but only specifically mentioned one club - Hearts - to 90 impressionable 11-year-olds. The same club he was happy to sign for Hearts 2 years later and no doubt pocket a massive signing on fee. The same player who is by his own admission "Rangers through and through", a supporter of one of Britain's most vile football clubs.

Mickey Weir was also there, as was Stevie Kirk. But those are stories for another day!

It's amazing how time flies when someone old enough to be a teacher (I assume) is too young to remember a particularly notorious instance of racism.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Don't know how bad it was a darkheid but what I do know is that it was despicable at Tynecastle that night,never have I felt so sorry for an opposing player,I was right in the thick of it in the jungle(pardon the pun),there were loads of impressionable kids their as well(why not have a go about that).

Too right. Criticism where it's due

Guest Bilel Mohsni

All this "it was worse with them" reeks of pesh,it happened in a huge way at Tynecastle enough for MW to comment on it and now DF.

What i can gather form all this is that you yourself were not anywhere near Tynecastle that night or you wouldn't be bringing the whole sad affair back up on a message board with young impressionable kids able to gain access to it.

Not being funny but...

Some of the posters on here may well have been some of those "impressionable 11 year olds" in the crowd that day, going by some of the more bizarre posters and their "BNP are a legitimate party" stuff. How long ago was Walters-gate now? 20 odd years? Some of the wee laddies that were there to see that will be wee laddies no more.

Thankfully most of our support are actually sentient beings these days... the majority anyway. :rolleyes:

Tell you what mate,for me you have lit the torch paper,you call the hun support vile and all that yet you seem to defend the Hearts fans because it happened some where else,and your a teacher,what a fecking joke you are.

Ever,and I mean every club has it's arseholes who blurt out racist and biggoted abuse,we are no different from rangers in that department it's just that pound for pound there are more of them,percentage wise probably the same.

The Treasurer

As you were so angered by his comments I take it you challenged him on the spot.

Hans von Luck

It's amazing how time flies when someone old enough to be a teacher (I assume) is too young to remember a particularly notorious instance of racism.

I was there that day and confess that some things we sang and threw were shocking in this day and age and no excuse can be made.

However for that Weegie slaver Derek Ferguson just to single out Hearts just shows how blinkered him and his bawbag brother is anyway.

Their beloved Rankgers have been profiteering on sectarianism since they were formed away back in 1873.

Pot kettle black "excuse the pun" comes to mind.

as far as i can remember this was either walters` first away game or his first game for rangers.

i was sat in the old benches (section a or b now) and there was a bloke with about ten bananas before the game started. a polis came up and questioned what he was going to do with so many bananas and the boy goes " am gonnae eat thum" polis goes "on ye go then git eatin`" boy was green after about 5 bananas and polis wandered off with the rest of them.

So basically you heard the truth and it hurt?

Aye so lets blame Feguson and the tic,because"we're no as bad as them".

as far as i can remember this was either walters` first away game or his first game for rangers.

i was sat in the old benches (section a or b now) and there was a bloke with about ten bananas before the game started. a polis came up and questioned what he was going to do with so many bananas and the boy goes " am gonnae eat thum" polis goes "on ye go then git eatin`" boy was green after about 5 bananas and polis wandered off with the rest of them.

Quality :):thumbsup:

Where is that kind of policing now I wonder

Anyway, much as I'd like to harangue DF I'm afraid that night was probably up there with Pope-gate and we really don't have a leg to stand on

This coming from the very same Derek Ferguson who stood up and sang the sash at John Robertson's stag night at the Tartan Club.

As you were so angered by his comments I take it you challenged him on the spot.

Since he said he was not aware of the incident how did you expect him to challenge him "on the spot". After hearing what Ferguson had to say I assume he went away and done some research on the incident.

I was there that day and confess that some things we sang and threw were shocking in this day and age and no excuse can be made.

However for that Weegie slaver Derek Ferguson just to single out Hearts just shows how blinkered him and his bawbag brother is anyway.

Their beloved Rankgers have been profiteering on sectarianism since they were formed away back in 1873.

Pot kettle black "excuse the pun" comes to mind.

Joke man,so you are,"no excuse" but then you come up with one and defend it,I doubt very much if you were there or are one of the ones who are quite proud of it.

As for you last bit about sectarianism from 1873,utter baws.

This coming from the very same Derek Ferguson who stood up and sang the sash at John Robertson's stag night at the Tartan Club.

The very same by the very same Hearts fans who sang "Fergie Fergie give us the sash,Fergie give us the sash" and then joined in,I was there as well.

i was there, it is one of the very few moments in 40 years at Tynecastle that have made me ashamed to be a Jambo!!

What a neanderthal Derek Ferguson is. What angers me is that he chooses to bring this incident up. It happened. It was 20 odd years ago. I don't condone it, but he is so thick that the irony of the incident was lost on him. At the time his beloved RFC "fans" had recently chanted "I'd rather be a (N-word) than a Tim". His beloved RFC was a bigoted vile institution and their fans indelibly linked with rampant sectarianism and sponsorship of terrorist murder. This was institutionalised bigotry. It poured from the stands of Ibrox and the streets of Scotland every week. In recent times, it was referred to as "Scotland's shame". RFC are, and have always been, a focal point for this behaviour.

He might as well have talked about anti-semitism in Germany during the war or that "love thy neighbour" was a top rated TV show in the '70's. They all happened, but way before any of the people he was addressing was born. The Mark Walters incident was regretable but in the context of modern anti-social behaviour it is completely irrelevant. The type of racism displayed at Tynecastle that day, I expect never to witness again in these parts. Sadly the same cannot be said of Scotland's Shame. Show Derek Ferguson the red card.

he had been friends with Mark Walters at Rangers and continued that he had witnessed racist abuse from a set of rival fans in the form of chants and bananas being thrown. He descibed how he appealed to the police for something to be done, all the while he did not mention which fans until he then said without warning that it was the Hearts fans.

First, let me say I do not condone racist abuse. Having said that, I should point out;

1. Walters was one of the most despicable cheats I've ever had the misfortune to witness. He dived all over the shop and often used his colour to make out he was somehow a victim.

2. At the time the incident happened, calling someone a ***** ******* was not uncommon. One has to view the incident in the context of the times.

3. Get a grip and get off the easily offended bus. It was ages ago, so who really cares?

4. Walters also got hit by a bag of chips that day.

Hans von Luck

Joke man,so you are,"no excuse" but then you come up with one and defend it,I doubt very much if you were there or are one of the ones who are quite proud of it.

As for you last bit about sectarianism from 1873,utter baws.

Can you please point out exactly where I said I was trying to defend it.

Please note little boy I am a season ticket holder for 29 years next season "paid up" and as for Rankgers if you check their history they were formed before us in 1873.

@rse

i was there, it is one of the very few moments in 40 years at Tynecastle that have made me ashamed to be a Jambo!!

I was unfortunate to be in the Rangers end that game(Gorgie Road Terracing). However the view of the bananas being thrown, (for those not there it wasent a few there were dozens)was shameful.

Please note little boy I am a season ticket holder for 29 years next season "paid up" and as for Rankgers if you check their history they were formed before us in 1873.

@rse

Oh sorry,I didn't realise I was in the presence of some kind Of HMFC royalty,your right.

Because rangers were of course founded on their current beliefs,what I would suggest if I may dare is that you in fact check their,and for that matter the tics,history,sure you will find out where all this bigotry came from,but hey,one so knowledgeable as you will know this already.

Anyway,you did try and defend it by trying to discredit the guy who allegedly said it,thus deflecting the point he was making.

The type of racism displayed at Tynecastle that day, I expect never to witness again in these parts.

By far the most interesting comment on this thread so far. It depends what you mean by "type" of racism. If you mean "let's all buy bananas and throw them at the black man because we've not seen one playing here before" type racism, then you're probably right. If you mean football fans and society in general are less racist, sadly I don't agree. I think that as our society becomes ever less civilised in terms of basic manners, civility and education, the number of racist incidents will increase.

Walter Bishop

I was around 10 at the time and i can remember the disgust shown by hearts fans around where we were sitting, the behaviuor that day by a section of our support was a disgrace and probably worse than what happened anywhere in Scotland.

As for Derek Ferguson, a player ahead of his time, one of the most intelligent and skillful players i have seen in a Hearts jersey.

I was unfortunate to be in the Rangers end that game

Hun without the bus fare alert. :thumbsup:

First, let me say I do not condone racist abuse. Having said that, I should point out;

1. Walters was one of the most despicable cheats I've ever had the misfortune to witness. He dived all over the shop and often used his colour to make out he was somehow a victim.

2. At the time the incident happened, calling someone a ***** ******* was not uncommon. One has to view the incident in the context of the times.

3. Get a grip and get off the easily offended bus. It was ages ago, so who really cares?

Im sure he got hit by a rubber chicken from spitting image,iirc.

the disgust shown by hearts fans around where we were sitting

Enough said. Not condoning it, but if you were sitting it was hardly representative of the majority of Hearts fans that day.

Walter Bishop

Enough said. Not condoning it, but if you were sitting it was hardly representative of the majority of Hearts fans that day.

Who mentioned majority?

Francis Albert

The type of racism displayed at Tynecastle that day, I expect never to witness again in these parts. Sadly the same cannot be said of Scotland's Shame. Show Derek Ferguson the red card.

It's a lot less blatant these days, but it's still there.

By far the most interesting comment on this thread so far. It depends what you mean by "type" of racism. If you mean "let's all buy bananas and throw them at the black man because we've not seen one playing here before" type racism, then you're probably right. If you mean football fans and society in general are less racist, sadly I don't agree. I think that as our society becomes ever less civilised in terms of basic manners, civility and education, the number of racist incidents will increase.

I acknowledge your point.....and would have a hard time arguing an opposing view. I think that in general, as a society, we are more tolerant and accepting of a multi-racial environment. But as our society becomes more cosmopolitan, many more isolated situations arise where racist behaviour can happen. Those of the the L'Oreal generation (Because I'm worth it) will have more opportunity to force their beliefs on others. As a result, racism in general may be more common.

I acknowledge your point.....and would have a hard time arguing an opposing view. I think that in general, as a society, we are more tolerant and accepting of a multi-racial environment. But as our society becomes more cosmopolitan, many more isolated situations arise where racist behaviour can happen. Those of the the L'Oreal generation (Because I'm worth it) will have more opportunity to force their beliefs on others. As a result, racism in general may be more common.

I'm not sure to what extent the "because I'm worth it" generation overlaps with what one of my favourite posters frequently refers to as the lumpenproletariat, but I think they're the real problem - the ever-expanding underclass that lives by the motto "I couldn't give a ****". The kind of people that habitually, aggressively and gleefully resist all entreaties to good citizenship are unlikely to start behaving nicely in the increasing number of situations where they come across people of different ethnicity, as you mention.

The White Cockade

What the hell has that got to do with the vile racist abuse he was subjected to from Hearts, Celtic and most other team's "fans" including his own team's

Some of the behaviour in those days was moronic and it was pretty widespread

Not one of the better times in our club's history

What the hell has that got to do with the vile racist abuse he was subjected to from Hearts, Celtic and most other team's "fans" including his own team's

It's called attempting to put it in context.

So why is this a pun then Rudi?? you seem to be on you're moral high horse, yet this is quite a racist statment all by itself.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I dunno... I probably disagree with that actualy. I agree that our society has less manners in general but people seem to be a lot more comfortable with other races these days, due to nothing other than exposure to different people from different backgrounds.

Where I grew up there was one Asian family at school and one black guy, the town it'self had one black family and that was the lot. It was not uncommon to hear people just casually using racist terms but nowadays most people are more aware of not doing it, due to there being more people there who would hear it and take offence to it.

There are always a few idiots who will never grow up or evolve but in my experience back then if someone said p**i or n****r in public, you would not bat an eyelid but nowadays when you hear someone say it you stop and think 'hang on a minute, what was wrong with what he just said'... It is a sort of mental trigger in most folk nowadays that you don't use those terms and so you pick up on it more when someone casually uses them now.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I think that it would put the poke o' chips into context maybe - if the fans at the time had seen him play before but... The bananas? And if it was his first game in Scotland I would wager that the majority of the idiots chucking bananas were not doing so because they thought he was a cheat.

The White Cockade

the two things are totally unrelated

unless you are saying that racist abuse is acceptable if you think the player will dive to gain a free kick some time in the future?

the two things are totally unrelated?

No they're not. Walters' general behaviour provoked a disproportionate reaction from the Hearts fans.

maroonshrew

I'll have to apologise first off cos ive not read all replies but for me the OP has missed the point. Some things are bigger than football. So, we got named and shamed but others didnt? So, what. If you think he was trying to make us look bad in telling that story thats some crazy paranoia. Its not about point scoring, its about racism awareness.

Some of the behaviour in those days was moronic and it was pretty widespread

Not one of the better times in our club's history

Perhaps the OP can reveal if Ferguson made any mention of the Rangers fans who racially abused him OR maybe he was able to convince Walters that the Rangers fans were not really meaning the abuse that was chanted , instead of just bad mouthing Hearts fans.

The White Cockade

No they're not. Walters' general behaviour provoked a disproportionate reaction from the Hearts fans.

oh dear this is not one of your better attempts

the racist abuse was at his first ever game at Tynecastle

the fans had never seen him play before

do you reckon the banana chuckers raided the greengrocers before the game just in case he cheated and they could protest

by chucking bananas and making monkey noises?

is anyone brave enough to admit to being one of the racists? - there were plenty of them

I dunno... I probably disagree with that actualy. I agree that our society has less manners in general but people seem to be a lot more comfortable with other races these days, due to nothing other than exposure to different people from different backgrounds.

Where I grew up there was one Asian family at school and one black guy, the town it'self had one black family and that was the lot. It was not uncommon to hear people just casually using racist terms but nowadays most people are more aware of not doing it, due to there being more people there who would hear it and take offence to it.

There are always a few idiots who will never grow up or evolve but in my experience back then if someone said p**i or n****r in public, you would not bat an eyelid but nowadays when you hear someone say it you stop and think 'hang on a minute, what was wrong with what he just said'... It is a sort of mental trigger in most folk nowadays that you don't use those terms and so you pick up on it more when someone casually uses them now.

I think educated people are more comfortable with our increasingly multi-racial society. No-one in their right mind would let a TV programme like "Love Thy Neighbour" (sorry if that's before your time) be made now, let alone sit and titter at it. But racism is out there. It's there at Tynecastle right now. If you haven't heard any racist abuse of Nade and Obua or heard Suso called a '****, you've been lucky.

I'm reminded of conversations I've had in the past with people in and from different countries. I once made the mistake of telling a Turkish guy I knew in Stuttgart how nice and accepting I found the Germans to be of people of different race. His reply was: "You're talking about a certain social class" - and I knew immediately he was right.

Society has changed and for the better imo.

The world has got smaller which means we see people from all over the world all the time. Back then we didn't and that was probably part of the problem. As was poor education.

Is "******" a racist slur anyway? If someone is from Pakistan that is surely what they are? I'm from Scotland and I'm a Scot. Thats not racist. I suppose it's the way its used.

the fans had never seen him play before

Oh dear. <_<

1. There was a device known as television in these days, so loads of people had seen him play.

2. He was part of the English influx that so many TA-types despised. They had no problem calling him an English ******* so calling him a ***** ******* didn't present much of a hurdle.

Thundercats Are Go

@rse

Well done, on a thread about personal abuse you have managed to stoop to that level.

Is the point that the OP is making not that the abuse and level of banana throwing at Parkhead was far greater than what happened at Tynecastle (which it was) but Ferguson chose not to mention it ?

Sorry if I've picked it up wrong.

Oh dear. <_<

1. There was a device known as television in these days, so loads of people had seen him play.

2. He was part of the English influx that so many TA-types despised. They had no problem calling him an English ******* so calling him a ***** ******* didn't present much of a hurdle.

Oh dear. Did Butcher and Woods have bananas thrown at them too? Pathetic attempt to blame BNP-type racism on Scotland fans. You really have exposed yourself on this thread.

Is the point that the OP is making not that the abuse and level of banana throwing at Parkhead was far greater than what happened at Tynecastle (which it was) but Ferguson chose not to mention it ?

Sorry if I've picked it up wrong.

For sure, but why let that get in the way of a holier than thou argument.

Oh dear. Did Butcher and Woods have bananas thrown at them too? Pathetic attempt to blame BNP-type racism on Scotland fans. You really have exposed yourself on this thread.

Butcher, and Woods were abused in a similarly offensive way. Or is calling someone an English ******* not racist?

winston churchill

i was there and never saw anything.

i was also there when.

tommy sellik football club was hit with a two-bob bit taking a corner,and again saw nothing.

Archived