Derek Ferguson's comments at a Show Racism the Red Card event today

GlasgowJambo

Like I said, get a grip.

great answer. i was at the game and do you know what people did when the monkey chants and the bananas were thrown? did they shout abuse at the offenders? did they walk out of the ground? no they didn`t lots of people laughed and most stood their and did nothing that is the reality of what happened and the people coming on twenty odd years later and saying they were disgusted just doesn`t cut it with me. easy to look back and tut tut but at the time it was adifferent story.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Placid Casual

No, i don't agree, there are incidents when we travel abroad with hearts and there are incidents at away games but percentage wise, i think that both halves of the Old Firm are away out in front.

That is not to say we do not have a problem obviously but i just do not see us doing a Manchester or Seville... Even relatively in terms of percentage. Rangers and Celtic attract a certain kind of person, we have them too but not in the same proportions man for man.

I don't know, I've seen some right f**kin' idiots on our travels. Maybe I'm just unlucky!

This may come as a shock to you, but most Celtic and Rangers fans are good people.

My point is that all clubs have their ar5eh0les. Even ours.

i never said celtic and rangers fans were not good people what i was querying was how you arrived at your percentage statistic?

Denny Crane

great answer. i was at the game and do you know what people did when the monkey chants and the bananas were thrown? did they shout abuse at the offenders? did they walk out of the ground? no they didn`t lots of people laughed and most stood their and did nothing that is the reality of what happened and the people coming on twenty odd years later and saying they were disgusted just doesn`t cut it with me. easy to look back and tut tut but at the time it was adifferent story.

Well, much as I would have liked to have done something about it at the time, I think a 13-year-old me would have been thumped by one of the 'so-called adult' KKK wannabes. Probably why my mum who took me didn't do anything either (except phone the club and L&B Police the following Monday and subsequently received written responses from both much later on, on how measures were being taken to ensure this never happened again - but it did: ask Dale Gordon).

Someone else mentioned Shuggy Burns on this thread. He was marking (very badly it had to be said) Walters that day and was alleged to have racially abused him throughout. Coincidence that he left Hearts not long after?

Well, much as I would have liked to have done something about it at the time, I think a 13-year-old me would have been thumped by one of the 'so-called adult' KKK wannabes. Probably why my mum who took me didn't do anything either (except phone the club and L&B Police the following Monday and subsequently received written responses from both much later on, on how measures were being taken to ensure this never happened again - but it did: ask Dale Gordon).

Someone else mentioned Shuggy Burns on this thread. He was marking (very badly it had to be said) Walters that day and was alleged to have racially abused him throughout. Coincidence that he left Hearts not long after?

all very fair comments and good that you did what you felt was right.

Placid Casual

i never said celtic and rangers fans were not good people what i was querying was how you arrived at your percentage statistic?

It's just my opinion John, based on my experiences following the Hearts for a number of years. Like I said on a previous thread - maybe I'm just unlucky!

Fair enough your comment about Celtic and Rangers fans, but it does annoy me when Hearts fans take the moral high ground over them, because we do have more than our fair share too.

It's just my opinion John, based on my experiences following the Hearts for a number of years. Like I said on a previous thread - maybe I'm just unlucky!

Fair enough your comment about Celtic and Rangers fans, but it does annoy me when Hearts fans take the moral high ground over them, because we do have more than our fair share too.

i agree we have our fair share and i`ve been guilty in the past of singing songs and saying things that are not acceptable now. i went over the top with your percentage thing.

what gets my goat nowadays is the hypocrisy of people. i stood on the terraces of celtic park and easter road in the 80s and 90s and absolutely THOUSANDS of hearts supporters all around me were singing bigoted songs but very few people seem to admit they were a part of this behaviour.

same with the mark walters thing everyone is like "i remember that...ashamed...terrible..etc etc."

IF EVERYONE THOUGHT ALL THIS BEHAVIOUR WAS SO BAD AT THE TIME THEN WHY DID NOBODY DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT?

The Mighty Thor

Taking the easy vilification of Hearts to one side (we are an easy target and don't always help ourselves on that score) the big issue remains;

What chance have you got of getting some supporters to understand the actions of that day being unacceptable when we still have a large number of supporters that hate their fellow caucasian scotsmen because they belong to a different religion?

Bananas or random h's it's all the same small minded stuff.

ps the justification of throwing bananas at Walters was because he was a 'diving cheat' as seen on MOTD? really? no, seriously? :blink:

Walter Kidd

Derek Ferguson should watch his glass house. His repertoire of songs at a Hearts dinner for a now defunct supporters club in West Fife were very much of the sectarian variety.

He's just gone right down in my estimation as I thought he was a great player.

So what was the minority in the jungle supposed to do,have a go at the morons,aye right well done.

Guys I quite liked and would now and again have a wee scoop with after the games(usually the green tree) went right down in my estimation,I saw a few "well kent" faces that night loving every second of it(probably still do),there was the same faces who always stood there,the same ones who helped dish out NF leaflets and who gloried in self righteousness when the tic came to town,letting everyone know just how far up their knees were in blood.

Like it or not Hearts had(if push came to shove,still have)a massive problem with bigoted racist fans and that is a fact,so stop trying to blame everyone else,it happened on a huge scale,and for that as Hearts fans we should be deeply regretful for not trying to deflect it away.

So what was the minority in the jungle supposed to do,have a go at the morons,aye right well done.

Guys I quite liked and would now and again have a wee scoop with after the games(usually the green tree) went right down in my estimation,I saw a few "well kent" faces that night loving every second of it(probably still do),there was the same faces who always stood there,the same ones who helped dish out NF leaflets and who gloried in self righteousness when the tic came to town,letting everyone know just how far up their knees were in blood.

Like it or not Hearts had(if push came to shove,still have)a massive problem with bigoted racist fans and that is a fact,so stop trying to blame everyone else,it happened on a huge scale,and for that as Hearts fans we should be deeply regretful for not trying to deflect it away.

i am not saying you (or anyone else) should have had a go. in your opening sentence you hit the nail on the head with the word "minority"

my point is it is easy and in keeping with modern times to condemn things that happened 20 years ago but at the time nobody (to the best of my knowledge) did anything about it.

my uncle (a very reasonable man) and a hearts supporter for 50 years came out with the comment "oh well they ******* give john colquhoun it tight every time he goes to ibrox so serves them right" this in my experience was a not too uncommon attitude.

i am not saying you (or anyone else) should have had a go. in your opening sentence you hit the nail on the head with the word "minority"

my point is it is easy and in keeping with modern times to condemn things that happened 20 years ago but at the time nobody (to the best of my knowledge) did anything about it.

my uncle (a very reasonable man) and a hearts supporter for 50 years came out with the comment "oh well they ******* give john colquhoun it tight every time he goes to ibrox so serves them right" this in my experience was a not too uncommon attitude.

Thing is,in that section,were almost every week,regardless of attendance,it was full and that night in particular it was the minority of that section who were not throwing bananas or hurling abuse at him,remember,this was premeditated.

What gets on my goat is that some posters on here give other fans dogs abuse because they support rangers, tic,motherwell,aberdeen because some of their minority do something,but yet want to brush this,and other events,off as normal,or not as bad as them.

Out of all the bad things I've seen watching Hearts over the past 30 odd years that is the one thing that sticks out for me,the venom with which people(ha)treated another human being was dispicable,nothing can defend it even if some other fans done the same,it cannot and should not be defended.

Who cares about what Ferguson has to say. He rabbits on about an incident that happened 22 years or so ago yet being brought up "the Rangers way" dosen't merit a mention? Has he conveniently forgotten the bile that comes out of his beloved Ibrox week in week out and the opposing vile songs and chants from the other side of town too? Pot, kettle, black springs to mind!

On another point, Ferguson was one of the most over-rated players to wear a maroon top, well....at that time. He was only at Tynecastle 'cos Souness couldn't get rid of him quick enough. He may have become a better player had Mercer not sacked McDonald, under Joe Jordan he was possibly the most negative passer of a ball we had and fans always got on his back for not being more positive and attacking opponents, hence the nickname "the crab" I don't recall many fans being too upset when he left at the end of Joe Jordan's time with us.

Who cares about what Ferguson has to say. He rabbits on about an incident that happened 22 years or so ago yet being brought up "the Rangers way" dosen't merit a mention? Has he conveniently forgotten the bile that comes out of his beloved Ibrox week in week out and the opposing vile songs and chants from the other side of town too? Pot, kettle, black springs to mind!

On another point, Ferguson was one of the most over-rated players to wear a maroon top, well....at that time. He was only at Tynecastle 'cos Souness couldn't get rid of him quick enough. He may have become a better player had Mercer not sacked McDonald, under Joe Jordan he was possibly the most negative passer of a ball we had and fans always got on his back for not being more positive and attacking opponents, hence the nickname "the crab" I don't recall many fans being too upset when he left at the end of Joe Jordan's time with us.

Okay then,lets all forget about St mirren 1986 or Pressley 2006/07,hmm,lets all just forget about it all and start a fresh.

Thing is,in that section,were almost every week,regardless of attendance,it was full and that night in particular it was the minority of that section who were not throwing bananas or hurling abuse at him,remember,this was premeditated.

What gets on my goat is that some posters on here give other fans dogs abuse because they support rangers, tic,motherwell,aberdeen because some of their minority do something,but yet want to brush this,and other events,off as normal,or not as bad as them.

Out of all the bad things I've seen watching Hearts over the past 30 odd years that is the one thing that sticks out for me,the venom with which people(ha)treated another human being was dispicable,nothing can defend it even if some other fans done the same,it cannot and should not be defended.

your comments seem mostly fair. my point is it makes no difference condemning these actions 20 odd years later.

as you were at the game you will probably agree the attitude of supporters and general vibe around tynecastle that night was hatred or hilarity or indifference depending on which section of the ground you were in.

too easy for people to say (not just on this thread, i have had discussions about this elsewhere) how disgusted they were by it now. 20 years too late and actions speak louder than words.

This coming from the very same Derek Ferguson who stood up and sang the sash at John Robertson's stag night at the Tartan Club.

Whats wrtong with that?

Okay then,lets all forget about St mirren 1986 or Pressley 2006/07,hmm,lets all just forget about it all and start a fresh.

Good idea! What happened at Dens in 86 was our own fault for not getting a point in the game and it wouldn't have mattered if Celtic had scored 10 goals that day, we've won the League, as for Pressley, i forgot about that chest-thumping incident......5 minutes after it happened! He was just some sad ageing player trying to make himself popular with a support that hated him, found it quite amusing actually!

your comments seem mostly fair. my point is it makes no difference condemning these actions 20 odd years later.

as you were at the game you will probably agree the attitude of supporters and general vibe around tynecastle that night was hatred or hilarity or indifference depending on which section of the ground you were in.

too easy for people to say (not just on this thread, i have had discussions about this elsewhere) how disgusted they were by it now. 20 years too late and actions speak louder than words.

Sorry,but it does,I was there I don't want to be known as part of it,these are the kind of action we/Hearts should be condoning,if not we have no gripe what so ever when the OF bang on about getting rid of bigotry in their grounds when nowt seems to happen.

Sorry,but it does,I was there I don't want to be known as part of it,these are the kind of action we/Hearts should be condoning,if not we have no gripe what so ever when the OF bang on about getting rid of bigotry in their grounds when nowt seems to happen.

i am not condoning anything. you were a part of it because you stood by and watched it happen. not gonna like it but the truth hurts. the misconception of that day was a small section of the hearts support threw bananas and made monkey noises and everyone else was thoroughly disapproving and disgusted. THAT IS NOT THE TRUTH and coming out almost a generation later condemning these actions is too little too late.

rather wait until he got home and vent his anger via a keyboard.

Sadly, this is the modus operandi of the nouveau jambeau. :yucky:

I think a lot of folk who are up in arms about the Hearts support that day are using present day values. When the incident happened, most fans thought it was a huge laugh and were ignorant about the horrors of racism. In the present day, these same supporters would be appalled and disgusted to see the same actions. I don't see the point of going over this old ground as much has changed in the last few decades. We should be more concerned about the continued bigottry in our support

Exactly,all you have to do is watch Love thy Neighbour to see how racism was taken as funny(from both sides black and white) years ago.

Exactly,all you have to do is watch Love thy Neighbour to see how racism was taken as funny(from both sides black and white) years ago.

Classic comedy. :thumbsup: The juxtaposition of the black middle class family and the white working class family was comedy genius. And let's not forget that the former always got the better of the latter. So maybe it wasn't racist after all and simply mocked society's stereotypes at the time.

Mind Your Language was great too although not as ground breaking as LTN. :thumbsup:

Classic comedy. thumbsup.gif The juxtaposition of the black middle class family and the white working class family was comedy genius. And let's not forget that the former always got the better of the latter. So maybe it wasn't racist after all and simply mocked society's stereotypes at the time.

Mind Your Language was great too although not as ground breaking as LTN. thumbsup.gif

LTN is pure comedy gold but we better watch mate the pc brigade will be along shortly to tell us how racist we are thumbsup.gif

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Classic comedy. :thumbsup: The juxtaposition of the black middle class family and the white working class family was comedy genius. And let's not forget that the former always got the better of the latter. So maybe it wasn't racist after all and simply mocked society's stereotypes at the time.

Mind Your Language was great too although not as ground breaking as LTN. :thumbsup:

It is funny how people can conveniently forget things too, like how Love thy Neighbour is slaughtered nowadays but Rising Damp, Porridge and Open all Hours are never mentioned for doing exactly the same type of sketches involving black and Asian stereotypes.

One thing I am not arguing about here is that what is deemed acceptable now is very different to back then with regards to race. I loved 'In Sickness and in Health' when I was a nipper, never even realised how it could have been offensive to other folk as I never knew anyone that was not a white working class person at the time, also it had been a bit more sanitized by then in comparison to 'Till death us do Part'.

GlasgowJambo

as an american why do you support hearts anyways. what is math? i absolutely despise the americanisation of the english language. as a teacher you should know better.

Americans unwelcome at Tynecastle now?

Seymour M Hersh

Oh dear. Did Butcher and Woods have bananas thrown at them too? Pathetic attempt to blame BNP-type racism on Scotland fans. You really have exposed yourself on this thread.

Hardly. Not defending terry pist per se but I'll bet a fair few getting their collective knic-knacks in a twist happily shouted English Barstewards and worse all game long at Butcher et al and we all know now that is racism. What happened was wrong. But putting it into context of the era is reasonable imo.

GlasgowJambo

Was there no opportunity to have a quiet word with him at all?

I'd like to make some concluding comments here if I may.

I was disgusted to hear about the actions of Hearts fans that night. I had heard of the Walters incident at Parkhead as it is, certainly in the west of Scotland, much better known. Yes I was 7 when it happened at Tynecastle, but I had not heard of it. I had heard of Colquhoun's pleas to cease the abuse of Paul Elliott, so hopefully that will calm those who feel I am myself as blinkered as Ferguson and am pursuing an agenda here to prove Hearts fans' moral superiority. I was hardly surprised by the Walters story, but made no attempt to admonish those involved of any blame. Their actions are reprehensible, as are the actions of all racists.

I was at Hampden in 2005, embarrassed by the booing. I have argued with Big Jock Knew vocalists and the guy who sits in Gorgie section Z and refers to Obua as "a dithering darkie".. Clearly therefore I see the problems Hearts have with this regard.

My point, a simple one, was this - Ferguson was happy to isolate Hearts. Why only Hearts? Racists are vile. Some Hearts fans are vile racists. But are we the only club with this problem? No. The man was selective in his use of facts. He also stated that prejudice based on nationality and religion is wrong. Did he cite any related examples here? Any FTP stuff? No.

Why not?

I think burns was emptied for it.

I'd like to make some concluding comments here if I may.

I was disgusted to hear about the actions of Hearts fans that night. I had heard of the Walters incident at Parkhead as it is, certainly in the west of Scotland, much better known. Yes I was 7 when it happened at Tynecastle, but I had not heard of it. I had heard of Colquhoun's pleas to cease the abuse of Paul Elliott, so hopefully that will calm those who feel I am myself as blinkered as Ferguson and am pursuing an agenda here to prove Hearts fans' moral superiority. I was hardly surprised by the Walters story, but made no attempt to admonish those involved of any blame. Their actions are reprehensible, as are the actions of all racists.

I was at Hampden in 2005, embarrassed by the booing. I have argued with Big Jock Knew vocalists and the guy who sits in Gorgie section Z and refers to Obua as "a dithering darkie".. Clearly therefore I see the problems Hearts have with this regard.

My point, a simple one, was this - Ferguson was happy to isolate Hearts. Why only Hearts? Racists are vile. Some Hearts fans are vile racists. But are we the only club with this problem? No. The man was selective in his use of facts. He also stated that prejudice based on nationality and religion is wrong. Did he cite any related examples here? Any FTP stuff? No.

Why not?

...because it is a famous incident surrounding Mark Walters. Was Derek Ferguson a big mate of Paul Elliot? I would suggest not. He spoke about an incident that was pertinent as his mate was involved, is that really so odd?

Just out of interest, did Ferguson ever say any of the following.....

Hearts are the only club with racist fans

Hearts are the only club with fans who prejudice others based on their nationality and religion

"FTP" comments are not that bad

If Ferguson did not say any of the above, my suggestion to you would be to grow up a little, toughen that skin and you will be fine.

GlasgowJambo

...because it is a famous incident surrounding Mark Walters. Was Derek Ferguson a big mate of Paul Elliot? I would suggest not. He spoke about an incident that was pertinent as his mate was involved, is that really so odd?

Just out of interest, did Ferguson ever say any of the following.....

Hearts are the only club with racist fans

Hearts are the only club with fans who prejudice others based on their nationality and religion

"FTP" comments are not that bad

If Ferguson did not say any of the above, my suggestion to you would be to grow up a little, toughen that skin and you will be fine.

Well you're entitled to your opinion. Alas, despite your heroic attempts to be patronising you have failed to change my opinion.

Here's what he did say: I'm only going to mention Hearts. I'm going to single them out. I was so outraged I later signed for them.

Or words to that effect.

Anyway, it's run it's course now. Popular thread though!

You can be a teacher at 22 years of age. The incident occurred in 1988.

You do the math.

I know - it' just that for those of us of a certain age it's amazing that something we remember so vividly (yet you, a Hearts fan, knew nothing about it) was so long ago. I know the maths, being the parent of a teacher.

Of all the notorious examples of racism in Scottish football, this incident is up there with the worst, so it would not surprise me that D Ferguson mentioned it. And as long as we have (had) fans whose behaviour is so stupid, we are fair game, even it if is a bit rich to be criticised by a loyal Rangers man.

(Pedants corner, nothing to do with GlasgowJ, was it not an afternoon match in the days when Saturday at 3 was the favoured kick-off time?)

Well you're entitled to your opinion. Alas, despite your heroic attempts to be patronising you have failed to change my opinion.

Here's what he did say: I'm only going to mention Hearts. I'm going to single them out. I was so outraged I later signed for them.

Or words to that effect.

I think you are making it up, especially the emboldened section.

I think that you heard him refer to an incident you didn't hear about (why would you? You were young and wan o tha peepul) and wanted to post about you encountering a Hearts player who said something nasty (factual, but nasty) about Hearts. I think you were so desperate to fan it out a little that you added a little indignation and some extra tit bits to beef out the story.

It's a pity that your pupils aren't members here, we could have a fair debate.

J.T.F.Robertson

But the thing is these "old guys" as you put it have moved on and realised that this sort of behaviour is unacceptable.

And I'm sure when his generation become the "old guys", they'll have a completely unblemished record in the "things I could have approached differently", stakes.

This thread has become an excercise in self-flagellation for some people. FFS, we've all done things in the past we're not exactly proud of, but with hindsight, comes 100%, 20/20. And another thing, much of that "hindsight" comes with simply growing up and has f all to do with having some Damascus moment on your journey to moral perfection.

This will be my defence, in any case. ninja.gif

Just for the record, I've always despised racism. (I used to root for the Black Panther Party, ffs rolleyes.gif )

Or words to that effect.

What a terrible riposte to a great post that made perfect sense.

Never mind.

Denny Crane

And I'm sure when his generation become the "old guys", they'll have a completely unblemished record in the "things I could have approached differently", stakes.

This thread has become an excercise in self-flagellation for some people. FFS, we've all done things in the past we're not exactly proud of, but with hindsight, comes 100%, 20/20. And another thing, much of that "hindsight" comes with simply growing up and has f all to do with having some Damascus moment on your journey to moral perfection.

This will be my defence, in any case. ninja.gif

Just for the record, I've always despised racism. (I used to root for the Black Panther Party, ffs rolleyes.gif )

But would you rather such people faced up to once holding a poor moral outlook or continue to retain it? If some have recognised their behaviour 22 years ago was contemptible then maybe this thread has served a purpose in its own way?

J.T.F.Robertson

But would you rather such people faced up to once holding a poor moral outlook or continue to retain it? If some have recognised their behaviour 22 years ago was contemptible then maybe this thread has served a purpose in its own way?

If they haven't grasped the gist of it by now, no amount of moralising on here is going to change anything. Also, if we were to have all our perceived frailties pointed out to us by other, more righteous members of our species, in an effort to convert us, we'd be here 'til the cows came home. sad.gif

Denny Crane

If they haven't grasped the gist of it by now, no amount of moralising on here is going to change anything. Also, if we were to have all our perceived frailties pointed out to us by other, more righteous members of our species, in an effort to convert us, we'd be here 'til the cows came home. sad.gif

We await Daisy the cow's arrival then

I was at a Show Racism the Red Card event with pupils from my school this afternoon, and heard some comments from Derek Ferguson who was on the panel which really angered me.

Basically Ferguson began a story about how he had been friends with Mark Walters at Rangers and continued that he had witnessed racist abuse from a set of rival fans in the form of chants and bananas being thrown. He descibed how he appealed to the police for something to be done, all the while he did not mention which fans until he then said without warning that it was the Hearts fans. He said Hearts subsequently banned several fans.

I was unaware of this incident, so although shocked I was also angered that he chose not to mention that it had happened at Celtic Park, and that in fact Rangers banned several fans for perceived racist abuse directed at Walters.

Ferguson claimed that Walters suffered racist abuse at "every away ground", but only specifically mentioned one club - Hearts - to 90 impressionable 11-year-olds. The same club he was happy to sign for Hearts 2 years later and no doubt pocket a massive signing on fee. The same player who is by his own admission "Rangers through and through", a supporter of one of Britain's most vile football clubs.

Mickey Weir was also there, as was Stevie Kirk. But those are stories for another day!

Don't thin deek ferguson did anything wrong in mentioning the hearts fans. What is wrong, though, is allowing micky weir near children. They'll have nightmares for years. Anyway, he's gay, he's bent.....

Archived