Tonight's televised debate

redm

Geoff Kilpatrick

All I learned from from that is that Sky do shan live debates. Same questions as last time with some Murdoch low tactics thrown in.

I actually think part of it was the loss of the novelty factor from the previous week.

Who's presenting the Beeb one? Dimbelby?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Private Hudson

I actually think part of it was the loss of the novelty factor from the previous week.

I believe so, Geoff.

That would be tragic.

Unleash the Paxman on them...that'd liven things up.

Private Hudson

Why aren't Sky talking to the audience? Interviewing MP's is pointless, they're hardly going to give an unbiased view.

The Mighty Thor

All I learned from from that is that Sky do shan live debates. Same questions as last time with some Murdoch low tactics thrown in.

There was one particular tactic, which i've just been scanning back on sky+ to check, which was the panning in of the camera when Cameron was speaking.

Dave's fag is on now telling us how it is.

Private Hudson

There was one particular tactic, which i've just been scanning back on sky+ to check, which was the panning in of the camera when Cameron was speaking.

Dave's fag is on now telling us how it is.

I knew there was a reason I refused to watch Sky news. This is frighteningly partisan. Why are we only getting the bullsheight Sun poll results? How did they get these 'results' so quickly? Who did they poll? Utter nonsense.

The Mighty Thor

Alex Salmond coming across more than a little bitter, like the man that hasn't been invited to the party.

Ossory_Jambo

I knew there was a reason I refused to watch Sky news. This is frighteningly partisan. Why are we only getting the bullsheight Sun poll results? How did they get these 'results' so quickly? Who did they poll? Utter nonsense.

Seriously, did you really expect anything else, these programmes are not about fairness, democracy or choice, they were contrived to promote the London Parties leaders and boost viewing figures, they should not have been broadcast in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales in that format.

Alex Salmond coming across more than a little bitter, like the man that hasn't been invited to the party.

Rightly so..he's been starved the oxygen of publicity by the BBC..that's 5 million people in Scotland who have SNP policies directly affect them. We have no choice but to pay their licence fee. The very least I expect from a closed shop in terms of revenue is to be properly represented and be allowed to ask questions on issues and the government we live under. Do you think that's democratic? I don't.

well he wasn't was he?

Rightly so..he's been starved the oxygen of publicity by the BBC..that's 5 million people in Scotland who have SNP policies directly affect them. We have no choice but to pay their licence fee. The very least I expect from a closed shop in terms of revenue is to be properly represented and be allowed to ask questions on issues and the government we live under. Do you think that's democratic? I don't.

exactly...

the guardian today spoke MORE about uganda than scotland

shocking

Commander Harris

well he wasn't was he?

you need to draw the line somewhere with these crazy fringe parties? ;)

Seriously, did you really expect anything else, these programmes are not about fairness, democracy or choice, they were contrived to promote the London Parties leaders and boost viewing figures, they should not have been broadcast in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales in that format.

ITV news poll has Clegg just slightly ahead of both Brown and Cameron their poll..prety much agree that there wasn't much to choose between the three in the end. Which is probably a bad thing for Cameron

Private Hudson

A small part of me lives in hope but you're correct. I live in Surrey now so this does actually directly affect me. Particularly in my area where the Tories and Lib Dems are neck-and-neck.

you need to draw the line somewhere with these crazy fringe parties ;)

you mean the first minister of scotland??

as in the actual scottish government

you mean those who were voted into power in the last scottish election?

it actually disgusts me that the leader of the scottish government was excluded to the degree he was... and i'd say that even if i wasn't an SNP supporter

exactly...

the guardian today spoke MORE about uganda than scotland

shocking

Uganda matters Bev..it's a bit like Scotland.

Commander Harris

it actually disgusts me that the leader of the scottish government was excluded to the degree he was... and i'd say that even if i wasn't an SNP supporter

I was exaggerating for comical effect but in a UK context the SNP are not a major party, ?the SNP have 6 seats at westminster. ?the DUP have 9, Sinn F?in have 5(although they don't take them up) and PC have 3 - amongst a total of 646 seats I can understand why such parties are not part of the main UK wide television debate. ?

should we have had the DUP, Sinn Fein and PC leaders up there as well?

I was exaggerating for comical effect but in a UK context the SNP are not a major party, ?the SNP have 6 seats at westminster. ?the DUP have 9, Sinn F?in have 5(although they don't take them up) and PC have 3 - amongst a total of 646 seats I can understand why such parties are not part of the main UK wide debate. ?

should we have had the DUP, Sinn Fein and PC leaders up there as well?

No we should have the SNP and PC leaders involved. The SNP are the major party up here and PC are the major party in Wales. With many devolved issues these debates are irrelevant under our legislation unless it comes under Westminster rule.

Commander Harris

for what it's worth I don't really like the idea of a Leader's debate at all.? I think it makes very little sense to have a presidential style debate in the context of our parliamentary system. ?

Commander Harris

No we should have the SNP and PC leaders involved.??The SNP are the major party up here and PC are the major party in Wales.??With many devolved issues these debates are irrelevant under our legislation unless it comes under Westminster rule.

why not the DUP? ?They're the major party in their neck of the woods and have the same amount of seats as the SNP and PC combined.?

The Mighty Thor

well he wasn't was he?

Evening Girls

I don't see what Alex Salmond or indeed Plaid Cymru's, Ieuan Wyn Jones are going to add to a debate on what is effectively a prime ministerial beauty contest. Neither are going to form a Westminster government and actually neither are likely to have any impact on even a hung parlaiment.

In terms of the BBC our license fees go towards funding BBC Scotland, who provide excellent programming and coverage for all things Scottish.

This is a Westminster election and has nothing to do with Scotland's First Minister or the Scottish legislature. The Scottish elections are a whole different kettle of fish.

Uganda matters Bev..it's a bit like Scotland.

All of us have followed Ugandan affairs at one time or another.

Jam Tarts 1874

for what it's worth I don't really like the idea of a Leader's debate at all. I think it makes very little sense to have a presidential style debate in the context of our parliamentary system.

I agree, I am currently listening to the after debate programme on Radio 5. All the participants are talking about is who "performed well". No-one seems to have actually been listening to or considering policy.

Ossory_Jambo

A small part of me lives in hope but you're correct. I live in Surrey now so this does actually directly affect me. Particularly in my area where the Tories and Lib Dems are neck-and-neck.

Absolutely, they are programmes aimed at the English electorate, I don't have any problem with that. However, because of that the programme content is partisan and not representative for viewers in the other parts of the UK and Northern Ireland. Brown, Cameron and Clegg are an utter disgrace, they have conspired to let the media set the agenda for this election and they have savaged democracy in the process.

In terms of the BBC our license fees go towards funding BBC Scotland, who provide excellent programming and coverage for all things Scottish.

i live in edinburgh and not the weege though, as i suspect you do too... and the amount dedicated to scotland isn't really proportionate.. different debate to this evenings debates though, but point noted as this is essentially, an english election campaign i guess

Evening Girls

I don't see what Alex Salmond or indeed Plaid Cymru's, Ieuan Wyn Jones are going to add to a debate on what is effectively a prime ministerial beauty contest. Neither are going to form a Westminster government and actually neither are likely to have any impact on even a hung parlaiment.

This is a Westminster election and has nothing to do with Scotland's First Minister or the Scottish legislature. The Scottish elections are a whole different kettle of fish.

It has everything to do with Scotland and Wales. No shock I don't agree with you. Licence fees (no s) are supposed to represent all of the nation. Sky, a private company who don't need to care about Scottish politics at all are the only organisation giving Alex Salmond air time. I would also throw back to you 'how excellent' the programming is asides from this debate. Do you honestly think that?

The Mighty Thor

i live in edinburgh and not the weege though, as i suspect you do too... and the amount dedicated to scotland isn't really proportionate.. different debate to this evenings debates though, but point noted as this is essentially, an english election campaign i guess

As it ever was Bev. You could say we lost our voice when Holyrood opened, if we ever had a voice.

I can't recall the exact figures but BBC Scotland's budget/overheads are more than license fees raised in Scotland. The fact they seem to spend it all in the Weeg is another matter altogether :verymad:

The Mighty Thor

It has everything to do with Scotland and Wales. No shock I don't agree with you. Licence fees (no s) are supposed to represent all of the nation. Sky, a private company who don't need to care about Scottish politics at all are the only organisation giving Alex Salmond air time. I would also throw back to you 'how excellent' the programming is asides from this debate. Do you honestly think that?

See my response to Bev. license fee money raised is less than the budget spent on programming/overheads.

In terms of your first point i'd ask what you want? A big say in the Westminster parliament or a Scottish parliament?

See my response to Bev. license fee money raised is less than the budget spent on programming/overheads.

In terms of your first point i'd ask what you want? A big say in the Westminster parliament or a Scottish parliament?

It's licence fee! you are still spelling it wrong. I want both..we have both..so your question makes little sense as devolution is here to stay.

Patrick Bateman

To rephrase that question; Would you prefer a parliament in another country or this one? I'm for restoring the Scottish Parliament to the full sovereignty surrendered in 1707. We can do it, so why not?

As it ever was Bev. You could say we lost our voice when Holyrood opened, if we ever had a voice.

I can't recall the exact figures but BBC Scotland's budget/overheads are more than license fees raised in Scotland. The fact they seem to spend it all in the Weeg is another matter altogether :verymad:

sorry i wasn't cler, i meant wasn't proportionate in terms of scottish viewers, as everything is so glasgow centric.. i think we kind of agree there

thing is, i think the scots, n irish and welsh leaders have every right to be part of these debates, at the very least in a scottish/welsh/norn iron debate which doesn't seem to be something those in power are keen on allowing

To rephrase that question; Would you prefer a parliament in another country or this one? I'm for restoring the Scottish Parliament to the full sovereignty surrendered in 1707. We can do it, so why not?

yay odysseus!

a voice of reason :)

dear god this ann leslie on question time is a slavering old cow.

Was genuinely just about to post that myself, absolute gobsh**e !!

Was genuinely just about to post that myself, absolute gobsh**e !!

comes across like someone's great auntie after a few g&t's at christmas. i was cringing when she was claiming to be a regular working joe citizen.

The Mighty Thor

It's licence fee! you are still spelling it wrong. I want both..we have both..so your question makes little sense as devolution is here to stay.

Pardon my stupidity and lack of education :rolleyes:

let me put it another way. The licence fee raised in Scotland doesn't cover the budget of BBc Scotland.

You may want both but you aren't going to get them and as the years of devolved power roll on your voice in Westminster will decrease to a whisper.

To be perfectly honest i don't know why Alex Salmond is so desperate to be involved as to me he doesn't carry the weight to survive in such a debate. In fact on pretty much every time he is given the exposure at a national level he seems to slip into a mode of rabid nationalism and foot stomping parochialism, despite the fact he is a very polished politician. I think exposure of 90 minutes on national TV would actually damage the SNP's chances in Scotland rather than enhance them. Just my opinion.

The Mighty Thor

That's an entirely different question and one we may well get the opportunity to vote on in the promised referendum and at that point we'll all have the chance to collectively put our money where our mouths are :rolleyes:

Pardon my stupidity and lack of education :rolleyes:

let me put it another way. The licence fee raised in Scotland doesn't cover the budget of BBc Scotland.

You may want both but you aren't going to get them and as the years of devolved power roll on your voice in Westminster will decrease to a whisper.

To be perfectly honest i don't know why Alex Salmond is so desperate to be involved as to me he doesn't carry the weight to survive in such a debate. In fact on pretty much every time he is given the exposure at a national level he seems to slip into a mode of rabid nationalism and foot stomping parochialism, despite the fact he is a very polished politician. I think exposure of 90 minutes on national TV would actually damage the SNP's chances in Scotland rather than enhance them. Just my opinion.

Ok Mr 'I spelt it wrong a few times after being told you were twice' ..you haven't told me 'the excellent programming' BBC Scotland does..care to share examples?

He should have been allowed the chance. There is no democracy if you believe he wasn't allowed his chance to speak. As you've said above the fact he is a good debater is the reason he's not been allowed to.

Absolutely, they are programmes aimed at the English electorate, I don't have any problem with that. However, because of that the programme content is partisan and not representative for viewers in the other parts of the UK and Northern Ireland. Brown, Cameron and Clegg are an utter disgrace, they have conspired to let the media set the agenda for this election and they have savaged democracy in the process.

As absurd as it sounds, I both agree and disagree with this.

The television debates have without doubt added a new dimension to UK politics and generated a bit more interest. This is worthy or praise and I hope the turnout 2 weeks today reflects that.

However, the televised debates so far pandered largely to the English audience (Manchester, Bristol and Birmingham next week) where the election will be won and lost over issues that, for us, are controlled by Holyrood irrespective of who moves into number 10.

The debates would have been fair if one had been held in Scotland and involved the three union parties plus the SNP, another held in Wales involving the three main parties plus Plaid Cymru and ditto Northern Ireland. There are things that I'll be taking into account when I vote that have barely been covered in the two televised debates so far.

United Kingdon is England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland. Not England, England and England.

The Mighty Thor

Ok Mr 'I spelt it wrong a few times after being told you were twice' ..you haven't told me 'the excellent programming' BBC Scotland does..care to share examples?

He should have been allowed the chance. There is no democracy if you believe he wasn't allowed his chance to speak. As you've said above the fact he is a good debater is the reason he's not been allowed to.

It's very subjective. I think BBC Scotland do a good job. The local programming, investigative stuff, comedy, news and sports coverage on both TV & Radio is very good. We get a lot of regional bang for our buck in real terms.

We'll have to disagree that SNP, PC, BNP, UKIP, DUP, SinnFein and all the other fringe parties should be given a platform in a 'leaders' debate.

When the Scottish Elections for the Scottish Parliament come round Mr Salmond will get his chance to grandstand and be ministerial on issues that he knows about and are relevant to us.

Scottish independence would be absolutely disastrous. Scotland is much stronger for being part of the United Kingdom and given in particular the high proportion of public sector jobs in our country, independence would result in mass un-employment and a country on it's knees. Freedumb in every sense of the word.

The People's Chimp

It's very subjective. I think BBC Scotland do a good job. The local programming, investigative stuff, comedy, news and sports coverage on both TV & Radio is very good. We get a lot of regional bang for our buck in real terms.

We'll have to disagree that SNP, PC, BNP, UKIP, DUP, SinnFein and all the other fringe parties should be given a platform in a 'leaders' debate.

When the Scottish Elections for the Scottish Parliament come round Mr Salmond will get his chance to grandstand and be ministerial on issues that he knows about and are relevant to us.

Have to agree with this. Essentially, you cannot have a 5 way, 6 way debate! If you let in the SNP, you have to also invite Plaid Cymru, you'll then have the BNP raising actions to allow them to appear and so on...you would have, at the end of the day, an absolute circus.

Buffalo Bill

Surely Alex Salmond can have his own debate inside that ?450M horribly designed, concrete and bamboo monstrosity diddy parliament down at Dumbiedykes?

In what way do we get a lot of regional bang for our bucks? I'm really interested to know exactly what you tune into and watch that makes it so. Can you provide examples?

Mr Salmond deserves his platform this election. He deserves his time to speak and be questioned on the 3 years of SNP goverment we've lived under. To say that's not important to many Scots is an utter joke.

The Mighty Thor

Have to agree with this. Essentially, you cannot have a 5 way, 6 way debate! If you let in the SNP, you have to also invite Plaid Cymru, you'll then have the BNP raising actions to allow them to appear and so on...you would have, at the end of the day, an absolute circus.

Precisely.

I don't get why people are getting so het up. There will be televised 'regional debates' which will allow the national and nationalist parties the opportunities to talk to their audience, their electorate, directly.

I've watched both debates and can honestly say there was nothing of any consequence that came out of either and neither have given me any great motivation to change my voting intentions. As i said earlier it's a prime ministerial beauty contest.

Patrick Bateman

Scottish independence would be absolutely disastrous. Scotland is much stronger for being part of the United Kingdom and given in particular the high proportion of public sector jobs in our country, independence would result in mass un-employment and a country on it's knees. Freedumb in every sense of the word.

How can you say Scotland is "much stronger" within the Union when we have areas of Scotland with a life expectancy lower than Baghdad. You just don't see that in other comparable nations, do you? So you'd say that Scotland's economy within the Union isn't healthy - yet we're 'much stronger' than without it? That's a non-sequitur argument and you know it. Show a bit of vision and a bit of optimism and you'll see that not only is an independent viable but that it can and will be a good thing.

Salmond had his chance last week and he enver even turned up!

Salmond had his chance last week and he enver even turned up!

he never turned up i'm thinking because, according to the speil at the start of that debate they "drew straws as who would represent each party"

funny how jim "smarmy gutless fecker" got his straw drawn though

Precisely.

I don't get why people are getting so het up. There will be televised 'regional debates' which will allow the national and nationalist parties the opportunities to talk to their audience, their electorate, directly.

I've watched both debates and can honestly say there was nothing of any consequence that came out of either and neither have given me any great motivation to change my voting intentions. As i said earlier it's a prime ministerial beauty contest.

A 'regional debate' broadcast on Sky at 10.30am this Sunday? Doesn't that socially exclude many? Not to mention the many others that won't be tuning in at that time on that day due to other commitments. It's a disgrace and if you wish to think otherwise then that's up to you.

Archived