Tonight's televised debate

redm

So who's going to be tuning in? They're surely going to get some seriously unusual audience figures...

I'd like to say that I'm planning to watch because I'm interested in what they have to say...and I am, to some extent...but I just have a feeling that it might be good old fashioned car crash telly. There's no way that they can all escape unscathed. Depending on what happens, this debate could end up having a real impact on the election results and you have to give them a wee bit credit for agreeing to do it.

Or it could just be one 90 minute long disappointment, of course... ? :unsure:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

So who's going to be tuning in? They're surely going to get some seriously unusual audience figures...

I'd like to say that I'm planning to watch because I'm interested in what they have to say...and I am, to some extent...but I just have a feeling that it might be good old fashioned car crash telly. There's no way that they can all escape unscathed. Depending on what happens, this debate could end up having a real impact on the election results and you have to give them a wee bit credit for agreeing to do it.

What time is it on at? I just want to see them mess up.

Mods - please merge this with the Gordon Brown thread. No point in cluttering up the board. :thumbsup:

What time is it on at? I just want to see them mess up.

8.30pm on STV. Right after the weird sunset.... ?:)

i'm already hacked off with the whole thing. the same pointless bickering over minor issues and personal point scoring.

that's what 'the terrace' is for. who needs it on the telly?

Mods - please merge this with the Gordon Brown thread. No point in cluttering up the board.??:thumbsup:

??:rolleyes:

Separate issue, Therapist. Had I wanted to post about Gordon Brown and NI, I would have contributed to the original - this is for the debate.

8.30pm on STV. Right after the weird sunset.... ?:)

Real Madrid game, blue sunset and then this. EPIC.

I doubt it'll sway my vote in the slightest but it should be entertaining.

i'm already hacked off with the whole thing. the same pointless bickering over minor issues and personal point scoring.

that's what 'the terrace' is for. who needs it on the telly?

I certainly agree with this. I don't think any would object to sincere differences with reasoned arguments, but bikcering and pettiness is always unpleasant. I predict a disppointment for anybody hoping for good political debate or even entertainment.

See here for a higer standard of political debate:

http://www.bartleby.com/251/

I certainly agree with this. I don't think any would object to sincere differences with reasoned arguments, but bikcering and pettiness is always unpleasant. I predict a disppointment for anybody hoping for good political debate or even entertainment.

See here for a higer standard of political debate:

http://www.bartleby.com/251/

another thing is the constant reliance on trooping out figures and statistics which can doubtless be interpreted in a number of ways. quite often stuff that doesn't mean an awful lot to the ordinary person in the street. one will reel off one set of statistics about some issue or another and the opposing side will argue until they're blue in the face that the figures are wrong, misleading, misinterpreted, out of date, blah blah blah.

then they'll all have another wild goose chase over policy commitments / manifesto promises which have been left deliberately vague and / or completely uncosted, at least in reality.

this is definitely the first election that i have lost pretty much all interest in since i started voting. can't even base my vote on part leader personalities 'cos they're all a bunch of tossers.

i'm not a fan of the idea, but it'll be fun watching the buggers squirm. between brown's lawsonesque ability to provide succinct answers and cameron's utter lack of policy there could be a fair amount of squirming going on tonight. i'll have a wee glass of wine and a shout at the telly watching this tonight.

Right fiver on Britain to be the first word used and a fiver on Brown to sweat first.

MON SWEATY BRITS!

Danny Wilde

Will skip the first 45 minutes on "domestic matters" ie NHS, education and justice matters which only apply to England and Wales.

Will watch the second half to see which of them has sweat-rings under their armpits by then. And you never know, some nutter might rush the stage and top the lot of them. Live.

Pretty sad that the debate has - in the minds of some on here - been reduced to a betting discussion. However, it's maybe not surprising that people are desperate given the financial meltdown that Cyclops has visited on us. :verymad:

Pretty sad that the debate has - in the minds of some on here - been reduced to a betting discussion. However, it's maybe not surprising that people are desperate given the financial meltdown that Cyclops has visited on us. :verymad:

I need money for my childrens school uniform thanks to this BROKEN BRITAIN. :verymad:

I need money for my childrens school uniform thanks to this BROKEN BRITAIN. :verymad:

Hope you're lucky mate. I've heard that uniforms for George Watson's College are not exactly cheap.

Hope you're lucky mate. I've heard that uniforms for George Watson's College are not exactly cheap.

They weren't in my day.

"future" has to be a good option for a bet.

Haha. I'm seriously going to have a punt on that. Britain @ 4/1 is a NAP.

First to noticably perspire as well. :lol:

Who's getting on the 'Britain' FREE MONEY train?

?10 on Britain :thumbsup:

Sierra Delta

Think I'll watch, although I know very little about politics.

Perhaps one of them can persuade me to vote for them.

I'll be watching, I'm cream crackered after a busy busy day, but politics does interest me so I'm resisting the urge for a super early night.

Particularly interested to see what (if anything) is said about welfare and benefits legislation reform.

Pretty sad that the debate has - in the minds of some on here - been reduced to a betting discussion.

Therapist, we're literally "backing Britain"! You, of all people, should be delighted!

If ITV were interested in number of people watching they'd put Nick Griffin in the debate.

That would boost numbers.

If ITV were interested in number of people watching they'd put Nick Griffin in the debate.

That would boost numbers.

So would a big water slide in the middle of the stage.

Was that a winner?! I'm not sure what the rules are ...

Opening speeches didn't count for the purposes of the market.

'Mon leaders, get Blair involved!

chester copperpot

This has been really interesting, and may just make the election for the right speaker.

My money's on someone who I didn't think it was at the start of this. Surprised.com

Archived