Where is this?

jambogaz1968

48 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Right, this is a ‘where is this’ with a slight twist. This is a photo of relatives of my mate. We reckon it’s on the steps of a building  in New York. Anybody know where/what this building is?

9B2E0747-87F1-4648-A395-872E97916363.jpeg

They look like a couple of wise guys from the Godfather. 

luckyBatistuta
9 minutes ago, indianajones said:

They look like a couple of wise guys from the Godfather. 

Sure do...Francis and Andrew Marino.

luckyBatistuta
6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

2 minutes ago, H2 said:

You are bloody good at this game!

I told him someone on here would find it, but still find that incredible that you found that rj :clap::notworthy:

1 minute ago, H2 said:

You are bloody good at this game!

I certainly appear to have my moments, H2. This was a fun one to find though! The building in question is supposedly the largest single dormitory in the world, sleeping 4,000 midshipmen. That's a lot of seamen.

luckyBatistuta
Just now, redjambo said:

I certainly appear to have my moments, H2. This was a fun one to find though! The building in question is supposedly the largest single dormitory in the world, sleeping 4,000 midshipmen. That's a lot of seamen.

:lol:

what did you search to find it?

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I told him someone on here would find it, but still find that incredible that you found that rj :clap::notworthy:

No problem, Lucky. I'm glad your friend will benefit from all our Google-fu's. Just don't ask me to tell you which step they're standing on. ;)

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

PMSL, 

Who knows, one day that might come up in a Quiz.

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

:lol:

what did you search to find it?

"united states" building steps cannon -"cannon house" -"hong kong". The cannon was the second photo on the page. I then searched for "Bancroft Hall" and, pretty sure I had the place, used Google Maps to look at the Naval Academy from the front.

luckyBatistuta
16 minutes ago, redjambo said:

"united states" building steps cannon -"cannon house" -"hong kong". The cannon was the second photo on the page. I then searched for "Bancroft Hall" and, pretty sure I had the place, used Google Maps to look at the Naval Academy from the front.

Hong Kong?

20 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Hong Kong?

When I first searched for US building steps cannon, there were quite a few images of Cannon House in the States and also of some building in Hong Kong. To get rid of them I used the minus sign "-" before those terms to tell Google not to include those in the search results. 

Just now, redjambo said:

Forgotten me already. Sigh.

LOL... I just went on to Wikipedia, some interesting meanings for rj, Registered Jack, for example... and others!

luckyBatistuta
Just now, H2 said:

Kirkintilloch

Nope

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

When I first searched for US building steps cannon, there were quite a few images of Cannon House in the States and also of some building in Hong Kong. To get rid of them I used the minus sign "-" before those terms to tell Google not to include those in the search results. 

Never knew about the minus 

luckyBatistuta
Just now, H2 said:

I think I've passed it going to a football game, can't think where though.

Aberdeen?

Hmmm, don’t think you have

If anyone is interested, the glass bit above the door has some large writing visible through it (or reflected, although in that case it would be the other way round, Shirley?). All I can make out is "Collection" although one word does look like "Mull". Can't find any post offices like that on Mull though.

4 hours ago, redjambo said:

If anyone is interested, the glass bit above the door has some large writing visible through it (or reflected, although in that case it would be the other way round, Shirley?). All I can make out is "Collection" although one word does look like "Mull". Can't find any post offices like that on Mull though.

I think "Mull" is actually "Mail", but thanks Red:  If you search for "island post office red", the first picture is that post office. :D

luckyBatistuta
50 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Port Stanley.

How’d you get it Lemongrab, great find

point to Lemongrab

56493B09-7624-4082-A91F-73D8A3657D13.jpeg

luckyBatistuta
38 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I think "Mull" is actually "Mail", but thanks Red:  If you search for "island post office red", the first picture is that post office. :D

Doh

5 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

:D Nice one.

20 hours ago, redjambo said:

Well done red, good idea to miss out the clue of New York. 

Lucky, any dates for the photo?

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, SUTOL said:

Well done red, good idea to miss out the clue of New York. 

Lucky, any dates for the photo?

He reckons it’s the 60’s, it’s his cousin that’s doing the family tree. Another relative of his who moved over from Naples had an ice cream shop in Edinburgh, but he fell out with a friend who he said stole money from the business. He shot the guy 3 times with a revolver and was then packed off to the USA. It was in the newspapers here. I think it was New Arthur Place he lived, maybe Bob will remember this and my mates relative.

luckyBatistuta
22 hours ago, redjambo said:

‘My mates cousin wants to hire you red:notworthy:

Thanks to you supplying that information, she has now found this. It is one of the guy’s sons and she thinks it might be his graduation.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

luckyBatistuta
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Thanks to you supplying that information, she has now found this. It is one of the guy’s sons and she thinks it might be his graduation. If you notice, his  last name is Marin, but their name is actually Marino, the family dropped the ‘O’ supposedly quite a common thing back then.

27522ED0-4826-43EF-86BE-8ABB8688D893.jpeg

Edited by luckyBatistuta

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Thanks to you supplying that information, she has now found this. It is one of the guy’s sons and she thinks it might be his graduation.

That's great news, Lucky.

My good deed for the year done anyway. Nice to get it out the way by the end of February.

luckyBatistuta
9 hours ago, SUTOL said:

Nice one LB. 

You need to ask Bob if he remembers them!     :policeman:

Not sure if he posts in this thread...

Sorry guys, fell asleep after posting that.

I’m confident he will, Bobs got some memory

8 hours ago, redjambo said:

That's great news, Lucky.

My good deed for the year done anyway. Nice to get it out the way by the end of February.

I’m sure a man of your standing will have many more :thumb:

On closer examination, it might be Meall Nan Tarmachan.

That's my final answer, Bob. ;)

Edited by redjambo

5 hours ago, redjambo said:

Loch Tay from Beinn A' Bhuic (or thereabouts).

Loch Tay = 1 point :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, redjambo said:

On closer examination, it might be Meall Nan Tarmachan.

That's my final answer, Bob. ;)

And there's the second point.

Good work as always redjambo ... eventually :D