Its Proper Snow!

Doctor FinnBarr

Fxxx the SPFL

Mate has just e-mailed me to say that he has had about three inches of snow at Blainslie near Gala and he won't be attemting to drive up to auld reekie today.:smiliz21:

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Old Tolbooth

• blondejamtart

• Beats

• davemclaren

Sexton Hardcastle

Good 3-4 inches and crap conditions until Penicuik/straighton on my way in.

Didn't stop some arse overtaking 5-10 cars and a grittier at a good 60 mph.

• 3 years later...
Doctor FinnBarr

Bloody deep in Blackburn now and showing no sign of letting up. Struggled to make it along the M8 at half 10.

Did it come as a surprise to them again? Nowt had been gritted!

• 5 years later...
Салатные палочки

Been a weird day.  9am it was pitch black.  10am it was blue skies.  11am pitch black.  Repeat all day.  

Sleet, snow, hail, thunder and lightning.  

3 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Thank ****. I’m off out for 14 loaves and 20 pints of milk.

Saw 85 year old Betty from down the road struggling in the slippery slush. Went out and asked her why she was out in this dangerous weather. She said she had no food in so had to get to the shops before the weather got worse and trapped her in. That was a couple hours ago now. Hope she’s alright. Especially considering I gave her my shopping list too. No sense in us both risking injury. 

7 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Saw 85 year old Betty from down the road struggling in the slippery slush. Went out and asked her why she was out in this dangerous weather. She said she had no food in so had to get to the shops before the weather got worse and trapped her in. That was a couple hours ago now. Hope she’s alright. Especially considering I gave her my shopping list too. No sense in us both risking injury. 

Auld boot is probably still sifting through her purse for the correct amount!

I knew you guys were in for it. We have had snow since early January. there was weather reports sayin ours was lessening but it was heading east, and usually when I read that a few days or so later you guys are crying. Don't feel bad for B.C. losing the lovely white stuff we are happy to give it to you and share.

4 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

She may be an old boot to you but to me she may be a frisky wee thing

Edited by bobsharp

11 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Looking forward to the additional length I'll get on my slide tackles on the way home from work.

Additional length in your tackle is always useful.

She better hurry I’m needing the potatoes, washing powder & cat litter pronto. 

Салатные палочки
13 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Looking forward to the additional length I'll get on my slide tackles on the way home from work.

Hot chocolate when you get home. 

8 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Dont mind losing the lovely white stuff we are happy to give it to you and share.

Never knew you were into partying Bob!

38 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

And have the shops sold out if bread and milk yet?

Yep 

Only crispbread and soy milk left:arghh:

40 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I knew you guys were in for it. We have had snow since early January. there was weather reports sayin ours was lessening but it was heading east, and usually when I read that a few days or so later you guys are crying. Don't feel bad for B.C. losing the lovely white stuff we are happy to give it to you and share.

Easy Bob. We can’t have you getting yourself all worked up :D

Easy Bob. We can’t have you getting yourself all worked up :D

Well we are both exactly the same age, start with a wee song Memories. Then a Jeff Rowena of the Palais days, on a record, then a qickstep, two foxtrots, a slow  waltz and the question can I take you home, the answer' yes, where do you live, Sighthill, I'll see you to the bus then, thems were the days.

14 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Well we are both exactly the same age, start with a wee song Memories. Then a Jeff Rowena of the Palais days, on a record, then a qickstep, two foxtrots, a slow  waltz and the question can I take you home, the answer' yes, where do you live, Sighthill, I'll see you to the bus then, thems were the days.

Not quite a bag of chips and quick knee trembler down an alley in them days then? :lol:

I should comment on the snow to save us getting scolded for changing the thread subject. We have had the longest snowy spell I can remember with sub zero temps every day. Today is a bit warmer and the sun is shining, but more snow forecast in the next few days. The only people really happy are the local ski hills.

16 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I should comment on the snow to save us getting scolded for changing the thread subject. We have had the longest snowy spell I can remember with sub zero temps every day. Today is a bit warmer and the sun is shining, but more snow forecast in the next few days. The only people really happy are the local ski hills.

Canada knows how to deal with it. We are useless

1 hour ago, gjcc said:

She better hurry I’m needing the potatoes, washing powder & cat litter pronto. 

Might have forgot where the extra money in her purse has come from and stopped off at the pub for a wee whisky or 9.

Craig Gordons Gloves
1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

We've on;y had about 45 inches this winter so far.  Last February alone we had around 57 inches.  Temps have been weird though, it's been in the teens and twenties more than usual and we even had a 48f day last week.  But there's still around 18 inches of snow on the ground.  I don't see the grass for around 4 months a year :)

26 minutes ago, Swanny17 said:

South bound carriageway of Queensferry crossing closed for 24 hours according to BBC. 

Oaft! That'll mean the trains will be chaos in the morning from Fife into Edinburgh.

Doctor FinnBarr
45 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Hope it doesn't get too wild. I need to get a train down to Edinburgh at half 9 tomorrow. 

I'm picking the wife up from her work in Livi at half ten tonight, not looking forward to it with the amount thats falling.

As a resident of Penicuik and also being a smart arse I had my online shop delivered yesterday .

I've got tea, coffee, biscuits and hot chocolate to sink a ship here.....

:fonzie:

Do you have in Edinburgh a snow tire rule after a certain  date do most have snow tires or not. I have a contract with my dealer, they store my snow or summer tires which I have both on rims, and I just go in prior to the mandatory date and get them fitted, and they do a general routine mechanical inspection at the same time as part of the deal. I also bought a battery charger whic I have had to use twice this year as I sometimes don't use enough miles to keep it charged especially when you are using heater, wipers, seat heaters ,fans etc.

24 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

As a resident of Penicuik and also being a smart arse I had my online shop delivered yesterday .

I've got tea, coffee, biscuits and hot chocolate to sink a ship here.....

:fonzie:

do you get many ships in penicuik?

2 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Do you have in Edinburgh a snow tire rule after a certain  date do most have snow tires or not. I have a contract with my dealer, they store my snow or summer tires which I have both on rims, and I just go in prior to the mandatory date and get them fitted, and they do a general routine mechanical inspection at the same time as part of the deal. I also bought a battery charger whic I have had to use twice this year as I sometimes don't use enough miles to keep it charged especially when you are using heater, wipers, seat heaters ,fans etc.

Nobody has snow tires in Edinburgh. It is very rare for us to get any substantial amount of snow that lasts more than a few days.

44 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Nobody has snow tires in Edinburgh. It is very rare for us to get any substantial amount of snow that lasts more than a few days.

I just wondered if it had changed, in my time the annual snow storm always seemed to come just in time for the evening rush hour, chaos ensued. Very few even knew how to drive in snow, and we, the polis used to be out pushing cars up hills until they got a grip and could move on their own. The sumers there seem to have improved, I wondered if the winter had changed for the worse.

6 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

I just wondered if it had changed, in my time the annual snow storm always seemed to come just in time for the evening rush hour, chaos ensued. Very few even knew how to drive in snow, and we, the polis used to be out pushing cars up hills until they got a grip and could move on their own. The sumers there seem to have improved, I wondered if the winter had changed for the worse.

This is still the case. :lol: 

Malinga the Swinga

Please note that the amount of snow in Edinburgh amounted to about 1/2 a centimetre, was widely forecast and barely left an impression on the roads.

Shit driving, roadworks and temporary traffic lights throughout the West of Edinburgh all contributed to this afternoons shambles. The council should hang their heads in shame but they won't, they will simply carry on ****ing normal citizens over.

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

I've got winters on my merc. They are not just for snow and work well below 7'C and in pishing rain.

22 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Please note that the amount of snow in Edinburgh amounted to about 1/2 a centimetre, was widely forecast and barely left an impression on the roads.

Shit driving, roadworks and temporary traffic lights throughout the West of Edinburgh all contributed to this afternoons shambles. The council should hang their heads in shame but they won't, they will simply carry on ****ing normal citizens over.

Tbf the roadworks would've been planned well in advance to take place during the school holidays as usual. The snow storm was comically bad timing.