Killing in the name - xmas number 1?

Carl Weathers

What has happened to the Facebook group?

It got spammed with thousands of teenage girls trash talking.

They made another, new group.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not really a fan of X factor but Rage Against the Machine are utter guff as well. Would never buy either of the singles.

'**** you I won't do what you tell me to, grrrr' em, apart from go and buy your single because I'm being told to.

Total mugs. Sony have probably had this planned since last year and they are raking it in now.

Haven't seen anyone tell anyone to buy RATM to be honest.

Anyone who thinks RATM are guff deserves pity though.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Haven't seen anyone tell anyone to buy RATM to be honest.

Anyone who thinks RATM are guff deserves pity though.

The big campaign is to make RATM number one. Shirley that is asking you to buy it?!

I can acknowledge they are talented if you like that sort of thing but honestly, I think it is absolutely sh*te.

The big campaign is to make RATM number one. Shirley that is asking you to buy it?!

I can acknowledge they are talented if you like that sort of thing but honestly, I think it is absolutely sh*te.

Don't call me Shirley......

:smiliz64:

Asking is very different than telling :)

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Asking is very different than telling :)

OK ya weegie smart erse ;) What exactly is Cowell and the X Factor 'telling' you to do?

I actually quite admire Cowell so this wee campaign is getting on my tits.

OK ya weegie smart erse ;) What exactly is Cowell and the X Factor 'telling' you to do?

Not telling me anything to be fair, just hate him and x factor. The campaign has already pee'd him off which pleases me no end.

apart from go and buy your single because I'm being told to.

As I said earlier, it is called beating Cowell at his own game!

Geoff Kilpatrick

Given that Mr Blobby and Bob The Builder have been Xmas No 1, surely something like My Lovely Horse from Father Ted would have been better?

BoJack Horseman

I also quite like Simon Cowell, However I can't stand the sight of that little geordie ***** Joe. So I have happily bought my copy of Killing in the Name for that reason, not because somebody told me.

Sadly, this weekend will see every 12-16 year old girl in the UK buy the X-Factor song about 20 times from 20 different places.

We're doomed!

Strange buying patterns, ie someone buying 20 copies can get a song excluded from the chart, so if they do it could be completely disregarded from the chart.....plan....

Strange buying patterns, ie someone buying 20 copies can get a song excluded from the chart, so if they do it could be completely disregarded from the chart.....plan....

Note that I said from 20 different places!

The gangs of girls will walk down the high street and go into every single music store and buy 1 copy from each.

Note that I said from 20 different places!

The gangs of girls will walk down the high street and go into every single music store and buy 1 copy from each.

Ah ok. I was meaning online, didnt realise you meant shops.

LMAO, just found out which record lable is making all the money - Sony, Simon Cowell's parent company. Yeah yeah, lets show the system, we'll give them even more money.

Some one did not do their homework LOL

Sterling Archer
LMAO, just found out which record lable is making all the money - Sony, Simon Cowell's parent company. Yeah yeah, lets show the system, we'll give them even more money.

You're an x-factor lovechild though aren't you? Which really means you have given up your right to an opinion about real music.

Goldstone Wonder

Did anyone hear them play the song live on 5live this morning at about 9am? I was just thinking to myself "I'd be surprised if there are no swear words in this song" when the order to go forth and multiply duly arrived and was repeated three times before an embarrassed Shelagh Fogarty intervened.

Apparently they had been told not sing those lyrics but did so anyway. Great stuff. Really pleased I was late for work this morning!

I'm tempted to download it now for the hell of it.

It's already on Youtube apparently although I can't open this at work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuIa5NoPH9c

Goldstone Wonder

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8418158.stm

Rage Against The Machine swear on 5 live

The band's Killing In The Name ends with repeated swearing

The BBC has apologised after Radio 5 live listeners heard Rage Against the Machine swearing in a live performance of their song Killing In The Name.

Zack de la Rocha, the US band's singer, was heard swearing four times on the station's breakfast show.

The band are hoping the 1992 hit will beat X Factor winner Joe McElderry to this year's Christmas number one.

A BBC spokesman said: "We had spoken to the band repeatedly beforehand and they had agreed not to swear."

He added: "When they did, we faded the band out and apologised immediately to anyone who was offended."

'Landmark moment'

The band were interviewed in a live link-up with the US on Friday morning, before performing the song.

As the song was abruptly faded out during the controversial closing bars of the song, listeners heard presenter Shelagh Fogarty say, "get rid of it".

She added: "Sorry. We needed to get rid of that because that suddenly turned in to something we were not expecting.

"Well, we were expecting it and asked them not to do it and they did it anyway - so buy Joe's record."

Rage Against The Machine's 90s hit is in the running for the Christmas number one after a group was set up on website Facebook urging people to buy it.

The group was set up in protest at the dominance of the X Factor winners' singles in the Christmas charts in recent years.

Most bookmakers have now suspended betting on the race for the number one slot on Sunday night.

On Wednesday night, before Ladbrokes suspended betting, it had made Rage Against The Machine the favourite to take the top spot

Spokesman Nick Weinberg said McElderry's "loss of favouritism" was "a landmark moment in Christmas number one betting".

"It was inconceivable just a few days ago, but the gamble on Rage Against The Machine has taken us completely by surprise."

McElderry, 18, won the X Factor on Sunday night beating Olly Murs with almost two-thirds of the votes.

http://www.nme.com/news/rage-against-the-machine/48926

Dave Grohl getting his tuppence worth in.

Dave Grohl pledges his support to Rage Against The Machine in 'X Factor' chart battle

Dave Grohl has said he'll be buying a copy of Rage Against The Machine's 'Killing In The Name' this week to try and help the song get to Number One ahead of The X Factor winner Joe McElderry on Sunday (December 20).

The 1992 song is currently in a chart battle with McElderry's single 'The Climb' after over 800,000 people joined a Facebook group registering their disgust with Simon Cowell and The X Factor.

Grohl told Tom Russell on 96.3 Rock Radio that he first became aware of the campaign after a garage worker mentioned it to him while he was travelling up the M6.

"I'm paying for my sandwich and he said, 'Are you gonna buy the Rage Against The Machine single this week? And I said, 'Yeah I think I might have to!" he said.

Speaking of why the campaign is proving so popular, Grohl said he thinks people are "sick" of reality TV programmes like The X Factor.

"There's some music that I question its intention," he explained. "When people rise up and decide, 'Hey man, I'm sick of this, let's derail this other thing for something real' I'm all for it."

He also praised 'Killing In The Name' as a song with a powerful meaning.

"I think that maybe what's happening now with the Rage Against The Machine thing, is people are really craving the warts and all," Grohl explained. "And that song is just an incredible song, and it's meaningful. Maybe they're craving something that actually means something?"

'Killing In The Name' recently became the bookies' favourite to bag the Christmas Number One slot.

Simon Cowell has slammed the campaign, calling it "stupid", "cynical" and "very Scrooge". Rage Against The Machine's Tom Morello has publicly given the campaign his backing.

For more on The X Factor and its effect on British music, get the new issue of NME, on UK newsstands nationwide, for an exclusive interview with Cowell.

marshallschunkychicken
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8418158.stm

Rage Against The Machine swear on 5 live

The band's Killing In The Name ends with repeated swearing

The BBC has apologised after Radio 5 live listeners heard Rage Against the Machine swearing in a live performance of their song Killing In The Name.

Zack de la Rocha, the US band's singer, was heard swearing four times on the station's breakfast show.

The band are hoping the 1992 hit will beat X Factor winner Joe McElderry to this year's Christmas number one.

A BBC spokesman said: "We had spoken to the band repeatedly beforehand and they had agreed not to swear."

He added: "When they did, we faded the band out and apologised immediately to anyone who was offended."

'Landmark moment'

The band were interviewed in a live link-up with the US on Friday morning, before performing the song.

As the song was abruptly faded out during the controversial closing bars of the song, listeners heard presenter Shelagh Fogarty say, "get rid of it".

She added: "Sorry. We needed to get rid of that because that suddenly turned in to something we were not expecting.

"Well, we were expecting it and asked them not to do it and they did it anyway - so buy Joe's record."

Rage Against The Machine's 90s hit is in the running for the Christmas number one after a group was set up on website Facebook urging people to buy it.

The group was set up in protest at the dominance of the X Factor winners' singles in the Christmas charts in recent years.

Most bookmakers have now suspended betting on the race for the number one slot on Sunday night.

On Wednesday night, before Ladbrokes suspended betting, it had made Rage Against The Machine the favourite to take the top spot

Spokesman Nick Weinberg said McElderry's "loss of favouritism" was "a landmark moment in Christmas number one betting".

"It was inconceivable just a few days ago, but the gamble on Rage Against The Machine has taken us completely by surprise."

McElderry, 18, won the X Factor on Sunday night beating Olly Murs with almost two-thirds of the votes.

You've got to love the irony in the fact that they were shocked that their instructions weren't followed. Did they hear the lyrics beforehand?

Goldstone Wonder
You've got to love the irony in the fact that they were shocked that their instructions weren't followed. Did they hear the lyrics beforehand?

In fact, it's a case of "Feck me, they didn't do what she told them!"

Guitarist TOM MORELLO said all proceeds from the song will be going to the charity Shelter. He also expanded on his comments yesterday, adding: "People are tired of being spoon fed one schmaltzy ballad after another.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/2776014/Joe-McElderry-has-narrowed-the-gap-on-Rage-Against-The-Machine-in-the-battle-for-Christmas-No1-but-is-still-almost-40000-behind.html

(fair bit down)

think you are the one who did not do their homework LMAO LOL

Guitarist TOM MORELLO said all proceeds from the song will be going to the charity Shelter. He also expanded on his comments yesterday, adding: "People are tired of being spoon fed one schmaltzy ballad after another.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/2776014/Joe-McElderry-has-narrowed-the-gap-on-Rage-Against-The-Machine-in-the-battle-for-Christmas-No1-but-is-still-almost-40000-behind.html

(fair bit down)

thats assuming all the money made will be going to the band, which it wont be.

Did anyone hear them play the song live on 5live this morning at about 9am? I was just thinking to myself "I'd be surprised if there are no swear words in this song" when the order to go forth and multiply duly arrived and was repeated three times before an embarrassed Shelagh Fogarty intervened.

Apparently they had been told not sing those lyrics but did so anyway. Great stuff. Really pleased I was late for work this morning!

I'm tempted to download it now for the hell of it.

It's already on Youtube apparently although I can't open this at work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuIa5NoPH9c

Awesome.

You can tell he knew he was going to do it all along. Nice.:D

It was almost a "you can **** off too, BBC!"

(fair bit down)

thats assuming all the money made will be going to the band, which it wont be.

Yep, I don't think Mr Morello will have any say in where the Sony money goes, and as you know the record company makes more money that the artist.

You can still get 3/1 on RATM being number 1. Is it not really as close as everyone is making out?

30,000 in it as of this afternonn, but joe's is now out cd and is expected to surge whilst rage flounders.

Chaka Demus & pliers
30,000 in it as of this afternonn, but joe's is now out cd and is expected to surge whilst rage flounders.

Second for rage will do me nicely!

You're an x-factor lovechild though aren't you? Which really means you have given up your right to an opinion about real music.

LOL - I like X-Factor, I think Joe is a great singer and will be an international artist. I'm a bit too old fat and ugly to be a love child.

Buying something on the back of a negative campaign where you are paying the people you are fighting - that's a real opinion!

LOL - I like X-Factor, I think Joe is a great singer and will be an international artist. I'm a bit too old fat and ugly to be a love child.

Buying something on the back of a negative campaign where you are paying the people you are fighting - that's a real opinion!

RATM are very talented chaps as well though, as well as international artists, and they achieved it the hard way. So how come you don't like them?

It might be 'on the back of a negative campaign', but it's also a chance to send a message to Cowell, as well as to RATM. The fact that RATM themselves, Dave Grohl, and The Prodigy are behind the campaign is good enough for me.

Chip - that sort would listen to Led Zeppelin's Dazed and Confused and think that Satan was about to rape them! Which of course is true..... :santa1:

Twenty years on and sadly Bill Hicks' argument still rings true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ74RJr4djg

RATM are very talented chaps as well though, as well as international artists, and they achieved it the hard way. So how come you don't like them?

It might be 'on the back of a negative campaign', but it's also a chance to send a message to Cowell, as well as to RATM. The fact that RATM themselves, Dave Grohl, and The Prodigy are behind the campaign is good enough for me.

I would not argue against their talent in anyway, their music is OK IMHO. I have never indicated that I don't like them, they are probably all very nice gentlemen as well as being talented.

Joe is a great singer, it's a pity that's not good enough for you :santa5:

5 Live.. Brilliant!

The whole point of the song is that they won't do what you tell them

and em... well they decided not to do what they were told!

lol

Can't think of what's worse -- buying a song because of a talent show or buying some old song by some no talent band that hardly anyone has heard of and will never again once this is over.

some no talent band that hardly anyone has heard of and will never again once this is over.

:santa5:

Anybody who knows anything about music has heard of RATM.

Snake Plissken

Four platinum albums in the US (two were triple platinum, one double platinum)

15 million albums sold worldwide.

Yeah, no-one's heard of them right enough.

Can't think of what's worse -- buying a song because of a talent show or buying some old song by some no talent band that hardly anyone has heard of and will never again once this is over.

:smiliz23:

Bob Dylans a poor singer, but at least he had something to say !

I bought the RATM song because I am so fed up with Cowell and his buddies filling the charts with bubble gum and boring cover versions. Look back at the charts in the 60s and 70s when musicians were important.

The music industry got rid of people with something to say and no it's now people like Cowell who are the stars and churn out the radio friendly unit shifters.

I don't care if RATM are on Sony, this is not about money.

I would not argue against their talent in anyway, their music is OK IMHO. I have never indicated that I don't like them, they are probably all very nice gentlemen as well as being talented.

Joe is a great singer, it's a pity that's not good enough for you :santa5:

No he is not. He is the latest scale exercising from the Cowell production conveyor belt which will no doubt be thrown to the scrapheap like the others before him.

Roger Daltery, Robert Plant, Ian Gillan et al are great singers - and I'm including when they started out too.

Archived