Killing in the name - xmas number 1?

Carl Weathers

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just bought my copy off iTunes.

I'm not at all fussed about them being on Sony, or it being un-Christmassy or whatever. It would just be funny to have it as Christmas number 1. It also shows the power of Facebook and it is very much a democratic movement. No-one's being TOLD to buy it with a gun pointed to their heads, are they?

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure it won't make it to number 1 but at least I can say I tried.

I'm not at all fussed about them being on Sony, or it being un-Christmassy or whatever. It would just be funny to have it as Christmas number 1. It also shows the power of Facebook and it is very much a democratic movement. No-one's being TOLD to buy it with a gun pointed to their heads, are they?

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure it won't make it to number 1 but at least I can say I tried.

What is the difference with a facebook group and an x-factor fan?

There is no punchline to this joke.

Both groups of people have been influenced to buy a record at a specific time that you probably would not have bought otherwise.

Mate it wont count as the christmas charts are started counting at 1pm this monday..

So you have to buy it again!

What is the point of this?

People are annoyed at being manipulated into buying the x-factor song, so instead they try and manipulate people into buying a different song?

I hope you all realise that RATM are signed to Epic, the same label that will have the x-factor winner?

You're probably right man, this'll be an Epic arranged 'protest'.

Keep filling the devils coffers people, you're just as bad as the people phoning in to X Factor.

You all make me sick.

Carl Weathers
Mate it wont count as the christmas charts are started counting at 1pm this monday..

So you have to buy it again!

I was wondering...xmas is 12 days away!

What is the difference with a facebook group and an x-factor fan?

There is no punchline to this joke.

Both groups of people have been influenced to buy a record at a specific time that you probably would not have bought otherwise.

1 record is ****e and the other is not.

Keep filling the devils coffers people, you're just as bad as the people phoning in to X Factor.

You all make me sick.

Well naff off and be sick somewhere else, who gives a toss

You all make me sick.

It has nothing to do with money.

The X Factor pish gets #1 every year, and I'd much rather hear a decent tune by an actual band than some karaoke ****e.

I'll be buying the music i like. A bit sad to buy something just to try to stop something else being no.1 . Hope you all waste your money, someone lese laughing at the money they'll make.

Say What Again
It has nothing to do with money.

The X Factor pish gets #1 every year, and I'd much rather hear a decent tune by an actual band than some karaoke ****e.

I'm not an X Factor or Simon Cowell fan, but he was spot on in a press conference the other day.

He was asked about this campaign and how his show was making a mockery of Xmas No.1. He replied that "before X Factor, Xmas No.1's had recentley included Mistletoe & Wine, Bob the Builder and Mr Blobby. Is that what I'm spoiling?"

He has a point.

Carl Weathers
I'll be buying the music i like. A bit sad to buy something just to try to stop something else being no.1 . Hope you all waste your money, someone lese laughing at the money they'll make.

It's 79p.

I'm lucky enough to be able to say that I can afford to lose that.

:smiley2:

I'm not an X Factor or Simon Cowell fan, but he was spot on in a press conference the other day.

He was asked about this campaign and how his show was making a mockery of Xmas No.1. He replied that "before X Factor, Xmas No.1's had recentley included Mistletoe & Wine, Bob the Builder and Mr Blobby. Is that what I'm spoiling?"

He has a point.

Agree with his sentiment, but at the end of the day i still remember the words to mistletoe and wine, Bob the builder and to a lesser extent Mr Blobby. Christmas songs should be uplifting (to get you in the christmas spirit) or at least a good singalong. Most Christmas songs of late will never be remembered as being Christmas number 1. In the last 4 years I don't remember 3 of the songs at all (hallelujah the execption).

Well thats me on the breadline after blowing 99p :stuart:

He has a point.

It used to be a big thing though, to see who would be No. 1 at Christmas (even if it was pretty much always a crap song). Now it's a foregone conclusion.

------------------------------------------------------

There's an internet campaign to back Rage Against The

Machine's Killing in the Name as Xmas number one.

On the same label as the X Factor track, there's a

nice conspiracy theory that Cowell has bought the

publishing rights and is behind the campaign...

from popbitch.com

Say What Again

I'm sure someone has much more knowledge than me on this subject, but how does everyone rushing to buy it on the 14th make it Xmas No.1?

Won't it peak this week?

I'm sure someone has much more knowledge than me on this subject, but how does everyone rushing to buy it on the 14th make it Xmas No.1?

Won't it peak this week?

Sales this week count towards the chart on Sunday. This is the last chart before Christmas Day next Thursday, therefore whatever is number 1 on Sunday will be the Christmas number 1.

Have you just woken up or something? :2thumbsup:

Say What Again
Sales this week count towards the chart on Sunday. This is the last chart before Christmas Day next Thursday, therefore whatever is number 1 on Sunday will be the Christmas number 1.

Have you just woken up or something? :2thumbsup:

:10900:

I must have. I was thinking that with Xmas being next week, there would be another chance at No.1 next week - didn't take into consideration the charts are a Sunday.

When does the X Factor single get released?

Looks like this campaign is more than doomed anyway. The bookies go 1/10 the X Factor for Xmas No.1, it's even 1/8 against every other song.

Regardless of whether RATM get the no.1 spot all tv progs and radio progs will still jam the x factor song down your throat, it makes no odds.

Whilst i am on, i understood last years song being no 1, it was an ok rendition of a classic song. This years is just a rendition of a crap song that some wee lassie released last year, i dont get it!

Talking of wee lassies, Joe's a bit light on his loafers is he not?

The Mighty Thor
Fair enough, there is only 1 winner in all of this though and that is the record label.

I don't like being dictated to on what music I should buy so I will be purchasing neither.

Ding!

Common sense has spoken.

Put your 79p in a charity collection box. You'll feel much better.

There's an internet campaign to back Rage Against The

Machine's Killing in the Name as Xmas number one.

On the same label as the X Factor track, there's a

nice conspiracy theory that Cowell has bought the

publishing rights and is behind the campaign...

from popbitch.com

Gobsh*te

Have duly purchased it. For those saying "isn't it the same as Cowell by plugging one song to the hilt?". I say, "we are simply taking the little gob****e on at his own game"!

Chaka Demus & pliers
Looks a certainty to at least be no. 2 in the xmas singles chart. 6/4 at Hills for no 1 without x factor looks like buying money :2thumbsup:

I won't be buying it but hope lots of people do for the reason above :2thumbsup:

Say What Again
I won't be buying it but hope lots of people do for the reason above :2thumbsup:

You got a great price Kurt, Paddy Power currently 1/6, Ladbrokes 1/10

So you've put money on it, but wont buy it to try and give your bet even more chance of coming in?

Chaka Demus & pliers
So you've put money on it, but wont buy it to try and give your bet even more chance of coming in?

Yeah. Not to prove any point or anything like that.

Don't really buy many tunes and reckon that this should be safe without me buying a copy.

If they miss out on second in the charts by 1 then I won't be happy with myself though :th_o:

Chaka Demus & pliers
Shoved a tenner on it when it was 5-1 outwith X-Factor :stuart:

Nice one! Wish I had seen it at that point although tbh I wasn't sure how well this would take off and I suppose thats why it was that price.

Say What Again

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8413557.stm

Rock anthem outselling X Factor winner Joe McElderry

Rock band Rage Against The Machine is ahead of X Factor winner Joe McElderry in the race for the Christmas number one, early sales figures suggest.

A Facebook group aiming to get the band's 1992 hit Killing In The Name to the top of the festive chart has attracted more than 750,000 members.

But McElderry's debut The Climb, out on CD on Wednesday, is expected to catch up by the weekend.

The Official Charts Company (OCC) said it is "a very exciting battle".

Campaign criticism

It is understood that there is a 10% margin in sales between the two singles after Sunday and Monday.

McElderry's song was released digital after his victory in the X Factor final, while Rage Against The Machine has been out almost twice as long.

X Factor judge Simon Cowell has criticised the internet campaign, calling it "stupid".

Prior to the final of the ITV talent show, he said: "I think the campaign's aimed directly at me".

The Facebook page includes a link to homeless charity site Shelter, which has raised nearly ?30,000 in donations.

Rage Against The Machine, meanwhile, are signed to Epic Records, which is part of Sony BMG, the same label as McElderry.

The OCC's Martin Talbot said "two different records have captured the nation's imagination".

"According to our initial sales estimates, there is no doubt that this tussle is far from over," he added.

Archived