Killing in the name - xmas number 1?

Carl Weathers

The Mighty Thor
Everything in life is a cost-benefit exercise. I personally would have preferred the band chosen to go head-to-head to have been from an independent label or even unsigned. However the benefits to be gained from this exercise exceeded the cost, while the "name" of RATM undoubtedly helped it win against the X-Factor-pushed song.

To be honest, I would love to see the next single picked to go up against the X-Factor to be "God Save the Queen", given that the Sex Pistols were cheated out of the number one position in 1977. It would be nice to see the single hit the top spot that was rightfully its own. No doubt the rights to that single rest with a major label though, and I don't know if I could stand all that "but you're lining the pockets of a major label" bleating again...

Personally i don't think it was ever about anything other than a load of socially inadequates trying to be cool or be part of something. It wasn't a protest really. If it was it was about as well thought out as the one our pete was trying to organise behind the main stand for yesterday.

If RATM have donated all their royalties to Shelter then fair play to them.

But the reality is that all the teenage posturing has done is help shift 1 million singles for Sony BMG, which is probably 750,000 more than it would have done and that is an inescapable truth to the whole thing.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sterling Archer

Just saw this on the bbc pages. Have to agree

Added: Monday, 21 December, 2009, 10:44 GMT 10:44 UK

I've nothing against the lad personally, but how many manufactured artists have staying power? With the exception of Girls Aloud & arguably Will Young, I can't think of any that have stood the test of time.

A platinum selling record that spoke out against opression, racism & corruption & helped create a new genre has beaten a cover of a Miley Cyrus song by a talent competition winner to Christmas Number 1. When I re-read that it makes me wonder why it was ever such a big task to orchestrate.

Andrew Fletcher, Kingswinford

Geoff Kilpatrick

I think the issue with all of this is that Christmas music is associated with cheesy pap that everyone loves to hate (Slade, Wizzard etc). Cowell has decided to own the genre, probably because Louis Walsh did it so successfully with Westlife.

So, for me, a more fitting protest would have been something Christmassy or completely rubbish, rather than a decent choon. What about Stop The Cavalry, for example? Christmassy and it has a "message".

The Mighty Thor
I think the issue with all of this is that Christmas music is associated with cheesy pap that everyone loves to hate (Slade, Wizzard etc). Cowell has decided to own the genre, probably because Louis Walsh did it so successfully with Westlife.

So, for me, a more fitting protest would have been something Christmassy or completely rubbish, rather than a decent choon. What about Stop The Cavalry, for example? Christmassy and it has a "message".

No chance. It's from 1980. Most of the RAGE'rs were still 15 years from birth when that was riding high in the charts or if you like a full 12 years before 'Killing in the name' was blistering it's way to number 25.

Obviously in 1992 the world wasn't ready to tackle oppression, racism and corruption. Either that or they thought it was a gash song. :santa1:

If the RATM campaign had not happened, Shelter would be ?80,000 worse off and more people would be out on the streets this Christmas.

Notice how X-Factor never gives anything to charity. Ever.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
If the RATM campaign had not happened, Shelter would be ?80,000 worse off and more people would be out on the streets this Christmas.

Notice how X-Factor never gives anything to charity. Ever.

Cowell just gave 150 grand to charity and they released a charity single where all proceeds went to Great Ormond St hospital. RATM will get a tidy wee backhander off the Sony fat cats I reckon.

Hope this helps.

Delighted with this. Not for any real reason other than the fact that the little rat-faced x-factor weasel has done a fraction of the work most musicians do in order to get where he is and IMO doesn't even deserve a percentage of the reek from anybody's ****e. Also he's rubbish. So is his "song". IMO.

Snake Plissken

So Sony made, what, 750 k from this exercise?

This is the same Sony whose annual turnover exceeds 75 billion dollars?

Yeah I bet they orchestrated the whole thing, what a great scheme to increase their turnover by 0.00001%*. Yep, that alone will help them turn a profit after a disastrous 2009, this alone will turn things around for them.

This whole thing was a GIRFUY to the X-Factor, Cowell etc. people shouldn't look into so deeply as in the grand scheme of things these sales amount to bugger all. It was a bit of fun and made for the most interesting chart battle in years. I'm glad RATM won, that they donated money to Shelter doesn't matter to me. The politics of the band doesn't matter to me - what, if anything, do Joe and the other karaoke puppets stand for?

* quick calculation, if I've missed a zero or put in one too many it doesn't really detract from the main point.

Just saw this on the bbc pages. Have to agree

Carrie Underwood is pretty "big" in the USA, but pop music isn't about longevity, is it? It's usually about making money!

I still don't understand what the Sony thing has to do with anything? I don't recall anyone saying that stopping Sony having the number 1 was the aim.

Some people just seem desperate to discredit or belittle the campaign and are just making up reasons to do so....

InNothingWeTrust
So Sony made, what, 750 k from this exercise?

This is the same Sony whose annual turnover exceeds 75 billion dollars?

Yeah I bet they orchestrated the whole thing, what a great scheme to increase their turnover by 0.00001%*. Yep, that alone will help them turn a profit after a disastrous 2009, this alone will turn things around for them.

This whole thing was a GIRFUY to the X-Factor, Cowell etc. people shouldn't look into so deeply as in the grand scheme of things these sales amount to bugger all. It was a bit of fun and made for the most interesting chart battle in years. I'm glad RATM won, that they donated money to Shelter doesn't matter to me. The politics of the band doesn't matter to me - what, if anything, do Joe and the other karaoke puppets stand for?

* quick calculation, if I've missed a zero or put in one too many it doesn't really detract from the main point.

Spot on. It's just a bit of fun. Nobody really cares about christmas number one anymore. The only thing that annoys me is the X Factor fans who say he's got a lot of talent. He can sing. That's it. A lot of people can sing. Tom Morello has more talent in his pinky toe nail than that guy does.

It really shows the power of the internet though.

Apologies if this video has been posted previously.. It's late and i didn't want to read much :santa4: haha

Not sure how to get the actual video up so just follow the link or if somebody would kindly sort it for me to show the video!

Made me LOL anyway, enjoy!

EDIT: I think it was posted on the previous page but it says it has been removed...

Archived