Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, weegranty said:

I have drove the 16th twice,last week I birdied the last 3 holes and missed out on an eagle at the last! Sometimes I couldn't hit a coo in the erse with a stick though,go figure.😊😁

They are good skelps to those greens.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Turning pro soon😀

Was 0.1 the other day . Going the wrong way !

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Turning pro soon😀

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, Irufushi said:

Aye you said lol, 🙂, feeling nervous about this game now.

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Interesting 9 holes out in that today 🤣

Were you enticed to smash a putter to keep it low?

Samuel Camazzola

Golf England look to be active in preventing courses down there closing as part of Thursday's restrictions. Madness to include courses within the closures. 

Harry Potter

Wee question for the folks on here, whats your preference of golf tee on par 3 holes.

I find the blue tee 18mm step height is best for myself, thoughts folks.

36 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Wee question for the folks on here, whats your preference of golf tee on par 3 holes.

Quite like off the deck for anything below an 8 iron :ninja:

I know someone who tees their irons like a driver. Mental. 

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, kila said:

Quite like off the deck for anything below an 8 iron :ninja:

I know someone who tees their irons like a driver. Mental. 

Thanks bud, 

Victorian
2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Depends on the club and the shot you envisage playing.  You would tee it up a smidge higher if you visualise hitting a draw or holding it into a left to right wind,  or to hit a fade with a mid iron.  Tee it down a bit if you're trying for a low launch,  etc.  

I always use a small standard tee or more often I pick up a broken bit of wooden tee to use.  Never a pre-set tee.

Harry Potter
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Depends on the club and the shot you envisage playing.  You would tee it up a smidge higher if you visualise hitting a draw or holding it into a left to right wind,  or to hit a fade with a mid iron.  Tee it down a bit if you're trying for a low launch,  etc.  

I always use a small standard tee or more often I pick up a broken bit of wooden tee to use.  Never a pre-set tee.

Thankyou, some good points to think about.

Furious Styles

Wedge or 9 usually off the deck for me. Like Victorian I look for broken tees to use for irons. 
Always very low though. 

6 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Lots of videos on you tube. Personally I use a broken tee very low.

https://youtu.be/5KfoGlrj7Rw

18 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Smallest tee possible for irons 5-pw (orange). 2nd smallest for 4i, 3 hybrid (red), 3rd for 3 wood (blue), 4th for driver (white). 

Harry Potter
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Smallest tee possible for irons 5-pw (orange). 2nd smallest for 4i, 3 hybrid (red), 3rd for 3 wood (blue), 4th for driver (white). 

Thanks Ray.

Victorian

There's a boy at my club who hits his driver (not very lofted from memory) off the deck from most tees.  I've seen him tee it up a little bit with a peg and he's a bit wild.  Superb striking with it off the deck and he's by no means a powerful hitter.  I'll sometimes try a driver from the fairway or first cut if the lie is inviting but you really have to swing smoothly and just let the clubhead lift it to get any decent flight.  Good option if you're after a chasing shot into a green.  

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Do folk still use the coloured castle tees? I don't think I've played with anyone in about 15 years who's pegged a ball up with one of those. 

2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Do folk still use the coloured castle tees? I don't think I've played with anyone in about 15 years who's pegged a ball up with one of those. 

Yep. Keeps the height easily at a consistent level without trying to eyeball it. Most of the folk I play with use them.

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Yep. Keeps the height easily at a consistent level without trying to eyeball it. Most of the folk I play with use them.

Genuinely never seen them being used for ages. 

I've only ever seen the wooden/bamboo ones in use. I thought the war on plastic had impacted these throwbacks! 😂 

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

Genuinely never seen them being used for ages. 

I've only ever seen the wooden/bamboo ones in use. I thought the war on plastic had impacted these throwbacks! 😂 

There's one of my mates who uses the wooden ones and he breaks them on every single hole. He's probably rattled his way through a few trees' worth of tees by now, not sure it's working out any more environmentally friendly. :lol: 

Victorian

I use the tall castle tee for driver.  Orange one or same sized wooden ones I found on ebay.  The consistent height is vital.

Samuel Camazzola
Just now, Ray Gin said:

There's one of my mates who uses the wooden ones and he breaks them on every single hole. He's probably rattled his way through a few trees' worth of tees by now, not sure it's working out any more environmentally friendly. :lol: 

I think I prefer the broken ones. 😄

Tommy Brown
10 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Really?

I use pink for my driver, but most folk I see use pink or orange for diving. Irons and others I use what's ever lying about, but very low. Or red castles if I have any.

Tommy Brown
9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I see you get bamboo ones now, about £4.50 a packet. Worth it as I think the are pretty much unbreakable.

He says, awaiting to get slaughtered over next couple of posts.:lol:

Edit:

Which means you don't need a packet, only one.:thumbsup:

Edited by Tommy Brown
Samuel Camazzola
4 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Really?

I use pink for my driver, but most folk I see use pink or orange for diving. Irons and others I use what's ever lying about, but very low. Or red castles if I have any.

I thought they were a thing of the past with only places like Sports Direct still holding stock of them. Not seen them in play for years. 

Not seen anyone use on in the Open or Masters either. 😄

Jamie Walker Tash

Red castle tee for irons and pink for driver. Also got the orange ones but feel they are just a little too high.

Tommy Brown
58 minutes ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Red castle tee for irons and pink for driver. Also got the orange ones but feel they are just a little too high.

Feel as though I would sky it off orange. Should maybe try again.

Jamie Walker Tash
13 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Feel as though I would sky it off orange. Should maybe try again.

Yeah done that a few times, also chipped the top of my brand new F9 driver using an orange tee. Could have cried. Obviously it was the tees fault and nothing to do with me being pish 😂

Victorian

Anybody seeing any WHS handicap index info on their SGU account or club website yet?

Tommy Brown
43 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Anybody seeing any WHS handicap index info on their SGU account or club website yet

Yes, mine shows up and also showing the same on howdidido.

Victorian
10 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Yes, mine shows up and also showing the same on howdidido.

Cheers.  Not seeing anything.  Downloaded the app but that's not working either.  

59 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Cheers.  Not seeing anything.  Downloaded the app but that's not working either.  

Not showing on my app main screen . But if you click the 3 dots bottom right of the app you’ll see “my handicap” and it’s in there pal. 👍

Edited by Irufushi
Victorian
Just now, Irufushi said:

Not showing on my app. But if you click the 3 dots bottoms right of the app you’ll see “my handicap” and it’s in there pal. 👍

Cheers. Not working via that.  Keeps asking for my CDH number but wont advance past that stage.  Christ knows what's up with it.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Cheers. Not working via that.  Keeps asking for my CDH number but wont advance past that stage.  Christ knows what's up with it.

Strange that it’s asking for the cdh number seeing as you have the app and are signed up. Mines shows cdh number and another column with my WHS link. 

Victorian
6 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Strange that it’s asking for the cdh number seeing as you have the app and are signed up. Mines shows cdh number and another column with my WHS link. 

It's contradictory.  The SGU site says you download the app and then use it to register.  When you try to register it tells you you're already registered.  Then tried to log in via the app and was told to verify from an email.  Did that but then discovered it doesn't work.   Just uninstalled the app as I'm fed up with it.

Victorian

Just noticed others have pied the app on Google Play reviews.  Clearly it has problems.   I'll not bother.  Will see if the club are going to have this info on the IG website or app.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Just noticed others have pied the app on Google Play reviews.  Clearly it has problems.   I'll not bother.  Will see if the club are going to have this info on the IG website or app.

If your club is on howdidido it’s all updated now. I’m off 0.6 , confirmed. 

Victorian
Just now, Irufushi said:

If your club is on howdidido it’s all updated now. I’m off 0.6 , confirmed. 

Not sure.  We use Intelligent Golf.  I noticed the handicap record screen was wiped earlier.  Presumably a prelude to the WHS info coming in.  

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Not sure.  We use Intelligent Golf.  I noticed the handicap record screen was wiped earlier.  Presumably a prelude to the WHS info coming in.  

Its a mess.

On the App,they have all my open scores logged against my home course. On the SGU website correct data but old CDH based handicap.

Spoke to our Match Secy and he said he had loads of incorrect records and that's just one club.

With regard to your issue.

I had to log out the App and log back in to see the WHS screen. 

You should see under My Handicap - My WHS index and below that your CDH number.

Victorian
Just now, merrymac said:

Its a mess.

On the App,they have all my open scores logged against my home course. On the SGU website correct data but old CDH based handicap.

Spoke to our Match Secy and he said he had loads of incorrect records and that's just one club.

With regard to your issue.

I had to log out the App and log back in to see the WHS screen. 

You should see under My Handicap - My WHS index and below that your CDH number.

I've binned it.  Will hopefully get it on the club website or app.  

Just now, Victorian said:

I've binned it.  Will hopefully get it on the club website or app.  

Think the SGU should follow your lead:phface:

hmfc_liam06

After some initial flip-flopping, everyones handicaps at my club now look spot on.