• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

What course is that? Is it Pumpherston? 

Yes, lots of old shale mining shafts.

A lot of the land where there was subsidence was fenced off when we got the land from BP (there was a large detergent plant there previously).

Quite a scary one.

William H. Bonney
3 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Carrick-knowe fully booked up today, never expected that.

My dads course are fully booked all week. Guests are not allowed and 2 balls are not permitted either. 

15 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

My dads course are fully booked all week. Guests are not allowed and 2 balls are not permitted either. 

The cold weather not putting folk off, looks dry today after all the rain.

Peter Alliss died. 

One of the best voices for commentating. I’be been mostly Sky the last number of years so didn’t hear him so much but earlier years when the BBC showed more it was all him. 

1 hour ago, kila said:

Peter Alliss died. 

One of the best voices for commentating. I’be been mostly Sky the last number of years so didn’t hear him so much but earlier years when the BBC showed more it was all him. 

Sad day.

Bit of a golfing icon. Certainly grew up watching his later golf career,and listening to his commentaries.

Like you have been listening to Sky for a good while now.Think his one fault was he never moved with the times and lost touch with the players. I suspect that might have been on purpose on his part, a big advocate of the traditions of the game.

Agree re his voice, absolutely ready made for golf commentary.

Seen him interviewed on BBC just before the Masters, had a beard, never recognised him or his voice.

Really sad to hear, loved his commentary, particularly the Open.

3 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

So Pretty - would be a shame to have to hit them and ruin them

Trust me, the way I’m swinging right now I’d probably miss the ball anyway. 😂

Just got new irons too, had Cobra King F8 One length and just bought the Cobra King Forged tec but im just not hitting them as well as my old ones. No sure if its down to being cold and just not as loose when out on the course, well I hope that! Personally think they look stunning.

joondalupjambo

Our club is using mats from today, however unlike all other years that they have been used this year we need to buy them at 6 quid a pop.  We had half a million in the bank last April but obviously that will have taken a wee bit of a dent given the pandemic.  It feels like we are scratching around micro managing the finances.  Buy a mat, some members are going mental others threatening to use an old bit of carpet out of principal.  I have two in my locker from years gone by.

Paying for mats, anyone else's club doing that?

30 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Our club is using mats from today, however unlike all other years that they have been used this year we need to buy them at 6 quid a pop.  We had half a million in the bank last April but obviously that will have taken a wee bit of a dent given the pandemic.  It feels like we are scratching around micro managing the finances.  Buy a mat, some members are going mental others threatening to use an old bit of carpet out of principal.  I have two in my locker from years gone by.

Folk moaning about 6 pounds, deary me, 

35 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

:lol:

Even we're giving them away!

We've not used mats for a few years but we've been forced to do so this winter.

We've been doing work on the back 9 so it has been closed for the last few weeks, means the front 9 has been getting pounded. Between that, the huge uptake in bookings and the saturated ground the course has been getting chewed up.

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Folk moaning about 6 pounds, deary me, 

When the club has 500,00 in the bank, even if that has been reduced a bit that is all members money.  It is not the clubs.

Where there are big problems you do not solve these with small solutions.  Lat year it was stop diaries, this year charge a few quid for a mat but the serious bigger problems remain with no feedback from the club on how those are to be addressed other than fees "must" go up.

By the club scratching around looking to make a few quid to cover what should, in many members eyes be a club running cost, an expense it makes the finance committee look a bit weak if that is the depth of thinking.  I am sure overall that the 6 quid is neither here nor there, it is more the issue of concern that some members have about how the finances are being managed.

Mind you in saying all that sure there are a few members who will whinge about the 6 quid.  They will most likely be the better off members in the club, the ones who might be living in the houses next to the course, locally known as "millionaires row" :lol:

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We've not used mats for a few years but we've been forced to do so this winter.

We've been doing work on the back 9 so it has been closed for the last few weeks, means the front 9 has been getting pounded. Between that, the huge uptake in bookings and the saturated ground the course has been getting chewed up.

We have used mats at some point in winter for a good number of years now so it is now seen as what we do to protect the course I guess.  Interesting figures issued from the pro in relation to number of golfers playing rounds in October and November between these years.

• 2019 - October - 836 golfers - November - 983 golfers.
  • 2020 - October - 1946 golfers - November - 2216 golfers.

I am assuming a lot is down to Covid with folk on furlough and working from home?   Those on furlough have the time and those working from home can work their hours around a game.  It maybe that is a few more retirees but do not think that would swell the numbers to this extent.

2 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

We have used mats at some point in winter for a good number of years now so it is now seen as what we do to protect the course I guess.  Interesting figures issued from the pro in relation to number of golfers playing rounds in October and November between these years.

• 2019 - October - 836 golfers - November - 983 golfers.
  • 2020 - October - 1946 golfers - November - 2216 golfers.

I am assuming a lot is down to Covid with folk on furlough and working from home?   Those on furlough have the time and those working from home can work their hours around a game.  It maybe that is a few more retirees but do not think that would swell the numbers to this extent.

It's crazy numbers. A lot of it for us is down to lack of things to do. We gained over 100 new members, most of which were folk aged 20-40, majority were guys who couldn't play football or go to football so they joined a golf club.

2021 is going to be an interesting year for golf clubs, hopefully the number of club members see little drop off.

Just had a quick look at our numbers @joondalupjambo. Obviously we're nowhere near the standard of your place...

Oct 2019 - 398
Oct 2020 - 949

Nov 2019 - 193

Nov 2020 - 886

Dec 2019 - 123

Dec 2020 to date - 171

1 hour ago, joondalupjambo said:

When the club has 500,00 in the bank, even if that has been reduced a bit that is all members money.  It is not the clubs.

Where there are big problems you do not solve these with small solutions.  Lat year it was stop diaries, this year charge a few quid for a mat but the serious bigger problems remain with no feedback from the club on how those are to be addressed other than fees "must" go up.

By the club scratching around looking to make a few quid to cover what should, in many members eyes be a club running cost, an expense it makes the finance committee look a bit weak if that is the depth of thinking.  I am sure overall that the 6 quid is neither here nor there, it is more the issue of concern that some members have about how the finances are being managed.

Mind you in saying all that sure there are a few members who will whinge about the 6 quid.  They will most likely be the better off members in the club, the ones who might be living in the houses next to the course, locally known as "millionaires row" :lol:

Your club seems to be in good hands with that bank balance, when there are clubs now folding.

3 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Wait - what's happened here?  You dumped the multi-major winning Titleists?

Yes 😬. They got me from 6 to 0.6 and shall forever be cherished. 😍

On 10/12/2020 at 14:45, Irufushi said:

Yes 😬. They got me from 6 to 0.6 and shall forever be cherished. 😍

12 months noticed required to leave the Titleist stable mate 😂😂 They look beauties though 👌🏼😎

The Mighty Thor
On 08/12/2020 at 10:01, joondalupjambo said:

I've heard our club is having the same discussions. Usually we put the mats out in a big bin at the first and then a collection bin off the 18th. Covid has knocked that on the head. 

You'll probably find most members will have a mat squirrelled away somewhere so wouldn't need to buy one. 

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

I thought mats weren't allowed to be discussed on this thread:lol:

SShhh!!! he might hear :whistling:

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Furious Styles said:

I loathe mats. Would rather not play than use one. 

Would rather go to crazy golf than play of fairway mats. 😀

I'm selective of winter courses and only play of grass. Quite a few don't opt for them or winter greens. 

I use one of these. I'm comfortable hitting a 2 iron off the deck so I don't find using this sort of mat any issue. Ball sits nicely on it and doesn't roll off when on a slope.

515FDT42ZsL._AC_SL1000_.jpg.1ffa3695b26c0e6843d2596505ee5288.jpg

1 hour ago, kila said:

I use one of these. I'm comfortable hitting a 2 iron off the deck so I don't find using this sort of mat any issue. Ball sits nicely on it and doesn't roll off when on a slope.

I drink with the developer of that mat when I'm in Tenerife. He showed me it a few years ago, I then bought one almost identical out of Aldi about 3 times the size, sold as a door mat for £3. Still never tried it.

Last year he showed me a plastic rake they you attached to your club, I nearly burst out laughing.

this year, covid comes and all rakes are taken off the course. :lol:

Just watched BBCs tribute to Peter Alliss.

It is terrific, a must see.

What a fantastic character he was.

Totally gifted.

Edited by Tommy Brown

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Once you’re out who’s gonna know anyway. Bin the mat. 

Rumour has it the mat police are a branch of the mask police. 

9 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Rumour has it the mat police are a branch of the mask police. 

Rumour has it the mat dodgers are the same kind who don’t replace divots, repair pitch marks or rake bunkers ;)

It’s all about minimal damage to the course until growing season again. I’m OK with that if it means a better course in the summer.

Lack of mats would need to be balanced by an army of volunteers around Feb/March sanding/seeding over divot holes etc.

Samuel Camazzola
29 minutes ago, kila said:

Rumour has it the mat dodgers are the same kind who don’t replace divots, repair pitch marks or rake bunkers ;)

It’s all about minimal damage to the course until growing season again. I’m OK with that if it means a better course in the summer.

Lack of mats would need to be balanced by an army of volunteers around Feb/March sanding/seeding over divot holes etc.

Sounds like your course suffers from players not having any courtesy on the course. 

Regarding pitch marks, I've always looked to repair at least one other in addition to my own. 

I don't play anywhere which implements fairway mats or winter greens. It's simply not enjoyable. Whether the mats make a difference is debatable. As a blanket approach, it's proven they don't but there will be some instances where common landing areas may be preserved. 

Where courses benefit most is when defined walkways are introduced and the order of holes are rotated (where possible) to save the same ground being trodden. 

William H. Bonney

I play kingsacre a lot and they don’t use mats, nor do they have winter greens. Which is great. 
However, I actually believe the course would benefit from closing for a few months. Some of the holes are like playing in a bog. They won’t of course due to loss of income. 
I noticed castle Stuart is closed til March. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 minute ago, Furious Styles said:

I play kingsacre a lot and they don’t use mats, nor do they have winter greens. Which is great. 
However, I actually believe the course would benefit from closing for a few months. Some of the holes are like playing in a bog. They won’t of course due to loss of income. 
I noticed castle Stuart is closed til March. 

I agree that course closures at times should be introduced and would benefit courses more. It's the traffic which does the damage, not the non use of mats. 

I understand that some clubs will fear losing some of its membership book if they do so but even reducing the tracks to rotated 9 hole layouts/par 3 set ups would help. 

Matt Fitzpatrick taken the Race 2 Dubai by the scruff of the neck, needs other players leapfrogging Patrick (cheat) Reed to take the R2D title.  

23 hours ago, kila said:

I use those mats too and prefer using the smooth side for my hybrids and fairway woods,feels like a better connection and gets a higher trajectory too.

Just been to the range after having a lesson last week. I have a really shallow swing and I tend to over-swing resulting in an over the top swing path. I’m now trying to keep my hands in front of me much more, dip my left shoulder on the back swing and get my hands much higher at the top of my back swing. A lot of thoughts going on! Golf is hard.

2 hours ago, dicksojo said:

Just been to the range after having a lesson last week. I have a really shallow swing and I tend to over-swing resulting in an over the top swing path. I’m now trying to keep my hands in front of me much more, dip my left shoulder on the back swing and get my hands much higher at the top of my back swing. A lot of thoughts going on! Golf is hard.

Same boat here with lessons. I’m struggling to remember everything 🤣

2 hours ago, dicksojo said:

Sounds like me, never had a lesson.

Started to get mates to film my swing on my phone. I do notice that my hands aren't as high as pros.

But as you say, it takes my whole memory to stop my overswing without dealing with anything else.:lol:

It's funny the difference between how you think your swing looks and how it actually looks. I’ll get another lesson in late January to see if the last one has nestled in. Fingers crossed.