Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

How did end up just before winter shutdown?

You started like a train and heading for single figures. Then you won't haywire.

You back on track?

Aye mate I managed to claw some good golf back towards end of October/November after I went for a lesson.

Off 11.0 exact now. Hopefully this year sees single digits.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A mix of winter and summer greens, with some fairways firm and others squirting jets of water with each step but managed to shoot a gross 76 so quite happy with how things are going.

Can't wait to play in a t-shirt with warm hands again... 

Haven't touched a club since October.  No idea when I'll next hit a ball. 

Might be a good thing though.. maybe forget some bad habits

Edited by Bigsmak
Adding stuff

Disser Pointon
14 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Haven't touched a club since October.  No idea when I'll next hit a ball. 

Might be a good thing though.. maybe forget some bad habits

That's a sin when you're a member at Gullane, are you outside the travel zone?! Played Gullane 1 in between Christmas and New Year with a mate who's one of the greenkeepers, was great to play a full course.

3 hours ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

That's a sin when you're a member at Gullane, are you outside the travel zone?! Played Gullane 1 in between Christmas and New Year with a mate who's one of the greenkeepers, was great to play a full course.

I moved to Dalgety Bay in November - I've tried to be good at following the regulations so not been to gullane at all.  Who is your mate?  

The course is in great nic apparently - my mum and Dad are playing 3 times a week each. 

No winter greens - No mats - I played on Christmas day 2019 and the greens were amazing. Very lucky there.. 

If anyone is in Fife and wants to invite me for a game of golf - i'm happy to try some courses around here! 

5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

New Sim drivers look mint!

Out of all the ones been released so far I think the Ping looks the best. As a Cobra man im disappointed with their colour combo this year on the RAD.

1 hour ago, Jamie Walker Tash said:

Out of all the ones been released so far I think the Ping looks the best. As a Cobra man im disappointed with their colour combo this year on the RAD.

Yeah Ping does look nice.

Just got a new set of T300 irons. Played one round at the weekend and hit them great. Night and day compared to my 10 year old Cleveland CG7's. Hopefully the snow goes away in time for the weekend as i've got 2 rounds booked at Winterfield in Dunbar. Greens are playing well, but a lot of the tee's have been moved 20 yards onto fairways.

Broke 80 once last year with a 79 (+14) so hoping to do that more consistently this year. I've got a voucher for 3 lessons at winterfield, but waiting until April before taking them. A few of my mates are on the waiting list for Dunbar, so hopefully get get taken on in March so I can play with them as a guest in the summer.

Disser Pointon
21 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

I moved to Dalgety Bay in November - I've tried to be good at following the regulations so not been to gullane at all.  Who is your mate?  

The course is in great nic apparently - my mum and Dad are playing 3 times a week each. 

No winter greens - No mats - I played on Christmas day 2019 and the greens were amazing. Very lucky there.. 

If anyone is in Fife and wants to invite me for a game of golf - i'm happy to try some courses around here! 

Benn McLeod, decent guy other than being a hun!

Disser Pointon
1 hour ago, neal-jambos said:

Just got a new set of T300 irons. Played one round at the weekend and hit them great. Night and day compared to my 10 year old Cleveland CG7's. Hopefully the snow goes away in time for the weekend as i've got 2 rounds booked at Winterfield in Dunbar. Greens are playing well, but a lot of the tee's have been moved 20 yards onto fairways.

Broke 80 once last year with a 79 (+14) so hoping to do that more consistently this year. I've got a voucher for 3 lessons at winterfield, but waiting until April before taking them. A few of my mates are on the waiting list for Dunbar, so hopefully get get taken on in March so I can play with them as a guest in the summer.

I've got those, Love them

Disser Pointon
6 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

played with Benn a lot.. good guy

Cracking player as well, course record holder at Gullane I think? And cack handed!

On 20/01/2021 at 16:29, Bigsmak said:

You're welcome to come slum it at my place anytime :thumbsup:

I see Patrick Reed is up to his debatable stuff again ( note I didn't say cheating) at Torey Pines.

Firstly claims an embedded ball without consulting his playing partners, then lifts the ball before a referee arrives.

Secondly takes a drop from a sprinkler head, which involved him taking a stance much wider than the one he took after he got relief.

Even mild mannered Rich Beem was strongly questioning the legality.

Reed is questionable at best, and we know what at worst.

Samuel Camazzola
3 minutes ago, merrymac said:

I see Patrick Reed is up to his debatable stuff again ( note I didn't say cheating) at Torey Pines.

Firstly claims an embedded ball without consulting his playing partners, then lifts the ball before a referee arrives.

Secondly takes a drop from a sprinkler head, which involved him taking a stance much wider than the one he took after he got relief.

Even mild mannered Rich Beem was strongly questioning the legality.

Reed is questionable at best, and we know what at worst.

Straight from the Seve playbook. 😂

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

Straight from the Seve playbook. 😂

😂

I always felt that Seve pushed the rules to the absolute limits.

I think Reed goes way beyond that.

Samuel Camazzola
Just now, merrymac said:

😂

I always felt that Seve pushed the rules to the absolute limits.

I think Reed goes way beyond that.

Tony Johnstone has told some cracking stories regarding Seve bending the rules to benefit him. 

On another note, although the biggest purses are on the PGA Tour (which ultimately attracts the highest ranked players), the European Tour has far more interesting and varied courses. The Omega Dubai Desert Classic has always been a great venue. It's mad when you see the footage of the first event 30 years ago and there are only a couple of buildings in the background. 

1 minute ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Tony Johnstone has told some cracking stories regarding Seve bending the rules to benefit him. 

On another note, although the biggest purses are on the PGA Tour (which ultimately attracts the highest ranked players), the European Tour has far more interesting and varied courses. The Omega Dubai Desert Classic has always been a great venue. It's mad when you see the footage of the first event 30 years ago and there are only a couple of buildings in the background. 

Yep I was out there around 2008 and stayed at the Jumeirah Beach and apart from the Burj there was very little round about 

Now !!!

Played the Montgomerie Course which was pretty interesting.

Samuel Camazzola
12 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Yep I was out there around 2008 and stayed at the Jumeirah Beach and apart from the Burj there was very little round about 

Now !!!

Played the Montgomerie Course which was pretty interesting.

My mate has played the Earth Course where the Race To Dubai finale is played and said it was different class. 

Would love to play golf out there and the floodlit tracks look great too. 

William H. Bonney

Reed is a cheat. Peter kostis, on the no laying up podcast, recalls 5 different occasions where he has witnessed Reed cheat. 

Here is one of them. 

Samuel Camazzola
13 minutes ago, merrymac said:

I like Bob McIntyre but starting to show definite signs of being a final round bottler unfortunately

He's running out of holes. A couple of two shot swings needed but can't see Casey doing anything silly. Par golf should clinch this. 

Bob Mac needs to watch what's below him on the leader board or he could risk not getting into World top 50 and lose Ryder Cup points. 

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

He's running out of holes. A couple of two shot swings needed but can't see Casey doing anything silly. Par golf should clinch this. 

Bob Mac needs to watch what's below him on the leader board or he could risk not getting into World top 50 and lose Ryder Cup points. 

That's been 2/3 times lately that he has been in a position to win and fallen away badly.

Not sure if the cauldron of the Ryder Cup is the place for him at the moment.

Hopefully he will put it behind him and learn how to win a 72 holer.

Samuel Camazzola
44 minutes ago, merrymac said:

That's been 2/3 times lately that he has been in a position to win and fallen away badly.

Not sure if the cauldron of the Ryder Cup is the place for him at the moment.

Hopefully he will put it behind him and learn how to win a 72 holer.

He seems to have a good attitude and for someone who has only completed two seasons on tour, he's maybe ahead of where he anticipated to be. 

In terms of Ryder Cup qualification, he's not far off the auto spots. However, the team currently has two rookies and I could only see one being a captain's pick if form dictates. Matt Wallace is expected to have a strong case for a pick if he doesn't qualify. He would be another rookie. Sergio and Rose will be hard to overlook too if fit. Kaymer has started to show consistency again and just never know how Poulter will be placed. 

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

He seems to have a good attitude and for someone who has only completed two seasons on tour, he's maybe ahead of where he anticipated to be. 

In terms of Ryder Cup qualification, he's not far off the auto spots. However, the team currently has two rookies and I could only see one being a captain's pick if form dictates. Matt Wallace is expected to have a strong case for a pick if he doesn't qualify. He would be another rookie. Sergio and Rose will be hard to overlook too if fit. Kaymer has started to show consistency again and just never know how Poulter will be placed. 

From comments Harrington made on a recent interview i think you can guarantee Serio and Poulter if they are able to walk😄

Samuel Camazzola
12 minutes ago, merrymac said:

From comments Harrington made on a recent interview i think you can guarantee Serio and Poulter if they are able to walk😄

He definitely let slip regarding Sergio after yesterday's round. 😀

He'll have a headache if someone like Lowry wins a major but isn't amongst the points. 

I P Knightley
On 30/01/2021 at 21:28, Samuel Camazzola said:

Interesting that Paul Casey has decided that the situation with human rights abuse in Saudi Arabia has improved to such an extent that he now feels able to enter the Saudi Arabia International tournament with its purse of $3,500,000 or more.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Interesting that Paul Casey has decided that the situation with human rights abuse in Saudi Arabia has improved to such an extent that he now feels able to enter the Saudi Arabia International tournament with its purse of $3,500,000 or more.

I wonder what appearance fees gave been dished out to attract the likes of DJ and Bryson over. Even more so when the US Tour are at Scottsdale for their usual Superbowl weekend competition. 

Fxxx the SPFL

i see the R & A along with the US PGA are looking to restrict driver lengths from 48 to 46 inches to stop golf being spoilt by the big hitters i.e. the Bryson chappie. they insist it's not about him but to bring golf back to some sort of normal game not a drive and a pitch or in some cases a drive and a putt, apologies if this has been posted already this is my first time on this thread. ex 13 handicap golfer Carricknowe/Braids 2 

Bryson says he hasn't used his longer shaft yet. But I agree with the rules getting ahead of it.

Standardised golf balls would be good too. And smaller driver heads.

3 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

i see the R & A along with the US PGA are looking to restrict driver lengths from 48 to 46 inches to stop golf being spoilt by the big hitters i.e. the Bryson chappie. they insist it's not about him but to bring golf back to some sort of normal game not a drive and a pitch or in some cases a drive and a putt, apologies if this has been posted already this is my first time on this thread. ex 13 handicap golfer Carricknowe/Braids 2 

Welcome to the madness

6 hours ago, kila said:

Bryson says he hasn't used his longer shaft yet. But I agree with the rules getting ahead of it.

Standardised golf balls would be good too. And smaller driver heads.

What happens if a 6 foot 10 golfer makes the tour and his only option is longer shafted clubs?

45 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

What happens if a 6 foot 10 golfer makes the tour and his only option is longer shafted clubs?

I’d pay a few quid to see a pro at 6ft10 smash a drive! 

You’re right that fitted clubs mean different length shafts sometimes so isn’t necessarily fair to impose a height limit. 

More attention on the ball variations and driver head size is the way to go though.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Crowd allowed in for the Phoenix Open including 2400 in the stadium bit around the par three 16th.

Feature groups are on just now with Rory, Rickie and Koepka among them.

Edited by kila

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Chances of getting a round played in February? :lol:

One of the Links look your best bet. Crail, Lundin, Eden etc. 

Fairmont is closed today and needs at least a day of dry windy weather to drain quickly. 

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Chances of getting a round played in February? :lol:

Most of the East Lothian courses are open.

The question is would you really want to play in this weather?😨

Really shit news, Uphall had a serious fire last night. Photo is terrible. 

I dont believe anyone is injured, thankfully.

I have deleted photo, will upload again

20210206_091828.jpg

Edited by Tommy Brown

30 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Really shit news, Uphall had a serious fire last night. Photo is terrible. 

I dont believe anyone is injured, thankfully.

I have deleted photo, will upload again

20210206_091828.jpg

Jesus Christ 

4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Screenshot_20210206-093136_WhatsApp.jpg

That's crap Tommy.

Any idea how it started?

Clubhouse would have been closed I presume.

Break in or electrical would be my guesses.

I've o a photo from the rear, higher up from 18th fairway looking down. No roof only the walls left. really black where the Pro shop was.

My untrained eye suggests thats where it started. I'll post it later. 

Hope they recover from this. Upside, gives them a chance to build a better one with west facing views.:peepwall: