Victorian

Official Golf geeks gibber thread

robbodog
On 10/02/2019 at 11:05, Tommy Brown said:

@Old Blue Eyes

My annoyance of Kilspindie, is that to play in their open, you must have membership of an East Lothian course.

Strange one IMO

Doesn't really sound like an open if that's the case.

merrymac
11 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

You'd lose the wager. OK Sherlock fill me in why I'm no golfer due to my posting style?

On 07/02/2019 at 20:36, Old Blue Eyes said:

Yes, I concede and to the fact I've never played golf in my puff and never will...stupid game.

By your own admission it would seem?

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Fairmont. Wanted to play Craigielaw but no times available until the afternoon. No good when travelling from Fife.

2 over handicap with an 8 at the 6th. Took 4 to get out that greenside bunker :lol:

Good day for it. Was it breezy up at the Bay? Pity you didn't land in a bunker that's currently GUR. ?

Final Open qualifying is going up to the Fairmont on 2nd July. There could be some big names up there. I believe it's going to be a hybrid of the two courses and close to 7000 yards! 

Old Blue Eyes
9 hours ago, merrymac said:

By your own admission it would seem?

Touche! Taggart.

hmfc_liam06
10 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Good day for it. Was it breezy up at the Bay? Pity you didn't land in a bunker that's currently GUR. ?

Final Open qualifying is going up to the Fairmont on 2nd July. There could be some big names up there. I believe it's going to be a hybrid of the two courses and close to 7000 yards! 

It was absolutely perfect, not a lick of wind and a bright sunny day.

It must have been about one of the only bunkers GUR on the entire course, I couldn't even see the top of the flagstick when addressing my ball. Should have just taken advantage of the new bunker drop rule :lol:

The only gripe I have with the Fairmont, and it's not really the courses fault but the amount of pitch marks left unrepaired is staggering. Folk really don't give a shit when they play these resort courses.

Edited by hmfc_liam06

Armageddon

It must have been about one of the only bunkers GUR on the entire course, I couldn't even see the top of the flagstick when addressing my ball. Should have just taken advantage of the new bunker drop rule :lol:

The only gripe I have with the Fairmont, and it's not really the courses fault but the amount of pitch marks left unrepaired is staggering. Folk really don't give a shit when they play these resort courses.

How much for the Bay?  I used to get on for £25 last off season.

I'd love to play a fife coast links course in the Easter holidays, absolutely zero offers though! :(

hmfc_liam06
24 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

How much for the Bay?  I used to get on for £25 last off season.

I'd love to play a fife coast links course in the Easter holidays, absolutely zero offers though! :(

It was £29. There was barely a soul on the course. Managed to haul in some amount of balls though. between the 3 of us we found about 30 :lol:

Cheapest of the Fife courses will be Leven, often find that on teeofftimes.

Lundin is £50 in April. Elie is usually around £80. I think Crail is around the £60 mark.

Armageddon
12 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It was £29. There was barely a soul on the course. Managed to haul in some amount of balls though. between the 3 of us we found about 30 :lol:

Cheapest of the Fife courses will be Leven, often find that on teeofftimes.

Lundin is £50 in April. Elie is usually around £80. I think Crail is around the £60 mark.

Played Elie years ago ... well, 17 holes as we jumped on at 5:30am and walked off after the 17th green!!!  Decent course but was never paying the £80 for a mid-week tee time!!

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

Played Elie years ago ... well, 17 holes as we jumped on at 5:30am and walked off after the 17th green!!!  Decent course but was never paying the £80 for a mid-week tee time!!

Yeah it's a course I'd like to play but can't justify paying £80 for there.

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

posted recently, open on Sat 1/6/19, £25.

I'm playing Leven in the 2nd, decided against.

next year for sure.

John mcCartney
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Earlsferry Thistle open ,first week of June Liam lad ......

Was over at Fairmont meself on Sunday ,Torrance course.
Played very well altho the greens are doing my nut in....They dont look it but are slow and as has been mentioned tons of pitch marks un repaired.....the third hole had had some fecking windup merchants at it as there were 2 deep
marks within 4 ft of the hole itself.Thats @anker material right there

Edited by John mcCartney

merrymac
55 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

Earlsferry Thistle open ,first week of June Liam lad ......

Was over at Fairmont meself on Sunday ,Torrance course.
Played very well altho the greens are doing my nut in....They dont look it but are slow and as has been mentioned tons of pitch marks un repaired.....the third hole had had some fecking windup merchants at it as there were 2 deep
marks within 4 ft of the hole itself.Thats @anker material right there

Maybe Sergio Garcia been up for a game :ermm:

Samuel Camazzola
21 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Sadly the failure to repair pitch marks isn't always down to the holiday makers fancying an annual game. Seasoned golfers attached to clubs are to blame due to their laziness. This extends to them not replacing divots and raking bunkers properly. I see it in most places I play and have pointed it out to a few who claim they 'forgot'. 

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Sadly the failure to repair pitch marks isn't always down to the holiday makers fancying an annual game. Seasoned golfers attached to clubs are to blame due to their laziness. This extends to them not replacing divots and raking bunkers properly. I see it in most places I play and have pointed it out to a few who claim they 'forgot'. 

Definitely, it just always seems worse at places like Fairmont, Carrick, Cardrona etc.

Samuel Camazzola

PGA Championship returning to Sky Sports this year. Great news after suffering BBC and Eleven Sports the last couple of years. 

Armageddon

Can't believe I've just read through the Kilspindie posts! OBE welcoming potential new players with open arms!! ?

If you want to feel like you're a member of Muirfield then get yourself down! I'm playing tomorrow... the pie chips and beans are outstanding, the welcoming atmosphere from the second you check in with the pro through to being treated like shite at the bar cannot be described! :)

OBE - I know you’re not big G the Pro as he's a MASSIVE Tim, but are you his brother?? ;)

Edited by Armageddon

hmfc_liam06
42 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Can't believe I've just read through the Kilspindie posts! OBE welcoming potential new players with open arms!! ?

If you want to feel like you're a member of Muirfield then get yourself down! I'm playing tomorrow... the pie chips and beans are outstanding, the welcoming atmosphere from the second you check in with the pro through to being treated like shite at the bar cannot be described! :)

OBE - I know you’re not big G the Pro as he's a MASSIVE Tim, but are you his brother?? ;)

You're going to have to sign me on one day so I can sample this wonderful golfing experience!

Better make it the summer, I'm often hitting down on the ball...ground first. Wouldn't want to rip up the semi rough :lol:

Armageddon
2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

You're going to have to sign me on one day so I can sample this wonderful golfing experience!

Better make it the summer, I'm often hitting down on the ball...ground first. Wouldn't want to rip up the semi rough :lol:

I would but I need 12 months of solid practice ... at looking at people like they're sh*t and trespassing their space!!

The facts are - Kilspindie is immaculate and the views up to Edinburgh walking up the coast are amazing, it's enjoyable as it's anything but a slog, shooting scratch 63's is fun, but if the wind blows those 63's can easily be 103.

There's one man there who can drag that club into the 21st Century and that's Chris Stirling, brilliant guy.

hmfc_liam06
23 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I would but I need 12 months of solid practice ... at looking at people like they're sh*t and trespassing their space!!

The facts are - Kilspindie is immaculate and the views up to Edinburgh walking up the coast are amazing, it's enjoyable as it's anything but a slog, shooting scratch 63's is fun, but if the wind blows those 63's can easily be 103.

There's one man there who can drag that club into the 21st Century and that's Chris Stirling, brilliant guy.

If that's how they treat members...how do they treat visitors?? I'll pass.

Ray Gin

Baberton tomorrow. Hope it's in decent nick. 

Old Blue Eyes
5 hours ago, Armageddon said:

A massive tim you say? Ask him when he last paid a visit to Parkhead. His brother? No.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

hmfc_liam06

Got Longniddry and Letham Grange in the books for April.  Erm trying to play Longniddry for ages, looking forward to that one.

Armageddon
On 15/02/2019 at 13:57, Old Blue Eyes said:

A massive tim you say? Ask him when he last paid a visit to Parkhead. His brother? No.

Here OBE - my mate at Kilspindie is on their Junior What's App group chat, he messaged to say one of the dad's has posted they were shouted at by some fat Mat Nazi on the par 3 11th yesterday, the young lad was playing a bump and run from 3 yards off the back of the green.  Is wasn't you was it??!!!  He's expecting repercussions as the boy was told to do one!

Please don't say it was you! ;)

Old Blue Eyes
14 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Here OBE - my mate at Kilspindie is on their Junior What's App group chat, he messaged to say one of the dad's has posted they were shouted at by some fat Mat Nazi on the par 3 11th yesterday, the young lad was playing a bump and run from 3 yards off the back of the green.  Is wasn't you was it??!!!  He's expecting repercussions as the boy was told to do one!

No, wisnae me!

Highly likely the youngster has been watching you playing from the 1st cut and deemed it to be ok...six years FFS! ;)

Armageddon
7 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

No, wisnae me!

Highly likely the youngster has been watching you playing from the 1st cut and deemed it to be ok...six years FFS! ;)

A ken!  I will say though, the first cut is REALLY short these days - it's great! :)  Joking, we all played off the mats yesterday, early doors so you've made a difference ya big mat nazi!!! :) 

hmfc_liam06

Should have putted it IMO

Old Blue Eyes

A ken!  I will say though, the first cut is REALLY short these days - it's great! :)  Joking, we all played off the mats yesterday, early doors so you've made a difference ya big mat nazi!!! :) 

To be fair, majority of the 1st & 2nd cuts are difficult to define. "Matt Nazi" I love that! :clap:

Dino Velvet

Jb Holmes is a *****. His shocking slow play had me rooting for Justin thomas. **** you JB, **** you. 

hmfc_liam06

My club have just announced a reciprocal deal with a few clubs, have only played one so I'll hopefully get a few of them under my belt this year.

Linlithgow (played), Bathgate, Airdie, Merchants of Edinburgh, Kirkliston, Eastwood & Hayston.

Victorian

:ninja::wave1:

Thinking about it again.   Checking out fixture dates.    Wondering when to have a thrash around in the nets.    

Victorian
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

My club have just announced a reciprocal deal with a few clubs, have only played one so I'll hopefully get a few of them under my belt this year.

Linlithgow (played), Bathgate, Airdie, Merchants of Edinburgh, Kirkliston, Eastwood & Hayston.

Get yourself up to Merchants.    It's... different.    But well worth a visit for the shit and giggles.     Very enjoyable as long as you can hit it straight.     Tricky but not as punishing as The Braids if not straight.

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Merchants is one of the few I've never played in Edinburgh. They were never in the same section for team matches.

Driven through it often enough and it seems one long leg and one short leg is needed for the holes near the road. ?

Do these courses share the same founding year as yours or something as it's quite a random selection? 

Tommy Brown

Played my first home Winter sweep on Saturday.

I had one of only three 2's recorded.

Each hole that get's a 2 goes into a draw.

My hole (4th) got drawn, I was the only one to have a 2 at it.

£72 happy ****ing days.

:jambobanana:

hmfc_liam06
34 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Merchants is one of the few I've never played in Edinburgh. They were never in the same section for team matches.

Driven through it often enough and it seems one long leg and one short leg is needed for the holes near the road. ?

Do these courses share the same founding year as yours or something as it's quite a random selection? 

I think the pro at one of the clubs involved put feelers out to various clubs about a deal and those were the ones who were up for it. Decent wee benefit.

Samuel Camazzola
8 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I think the pro at one of the clubs involved put feelers out to various clubs about a deal and those were the ones who were up for it. Decent wee benefit.

It's the kind of things clubs need to try to freshen things up. May lead to annual matches between clubs in rotational basis. 

Lothianburn had a couple of link-ups when I was there. They had a tie in with clubs formed in the same year throughout the UK. They were also part of the Braid trail involving clubs also designed by James Braid. 

Sadly, Lothianburn is no more... ?

merrymac

You will enjoy the Merchants if you have one leg longer than the other,and don't suffer from vertigo :mw_rolleyes:

Bathgate is pretty good and Hayston is worth a visit.

hmfc_liam06
Just now, merrymac said:

You will enjoy the Merchants if you have one leg longer than the other,and don't suffer from vertigo :mw_rolleyes:

Bathgate is pretty good and Hayston is worth a visit.

Haha I'm guessing Merchants is somewhat hilly then?

I've no doubt me and my mate will get around all 7 at some point this year. Hayston and Kirkintilloch are right next door to each other so we'll do 2 in a day.

merrymac
Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

Haha I'm guessing Merchants is somewhat hilly then?

I've no doubt me and my mate will get around all 7 at some point this year. Hayston and Kirkintilloch are right next door to each other so we'll do 2 in a day.

Got it in one, a few holes on the side of hills and square greens cut into the hillside which makes short game tough. These is one par three that you tee off from the top of the hill (mountain!!) to a green way below.Spectacular but you do need to be a mountain goat to get down though.

Hayston and Kirky are both worth a visit, nice day out.

Where is the course at Kirkliston?

hmfc_liam06
1 minute ago, merrymac said:

Got it in one, a few holes on the side of hills and square greens cut into the hillside which makes short game tough. These is one par three that you tee off from the top of the hill (mountain!!) to a green way below.Spectacular but you do need to be a mountain goat to get down though.

Hayston and Kirky are both worth a visit, nice day out.

Where is the course at Kirkliston?

Sounds interesting.

Sorry, I said Kirkliston but meant Kirkintilloch.

merrymac
1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Sounds interesting.

Sorry, I said Kirkliston but meant Kirkintilloch.

Ah sorry should have realised. Its quite short but pretty tricky. Greens are usually pretty good and quick if you don,t go too early in the season?

Harry Potter

Whats the script with Kuchar, watching the mexico championship and fans are booing him, 

Not the 1st time, what has he done.

Dino Velvet
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Whats the script with Kuchar, watching the mexico championship and fans are booing him, 

Not boos. It's a play on his surname. Kuchar becomes kuuuuuuch. 

Harry Potter
8 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Cheers mate, certainly seemed strange, all clear now.

Dino Velvet
5 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Cheers mate, certainly seemed strange, all clear now.

No problem. 

merrymac
10 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

9 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Might be boos this time - been all over the papers regarding Kucher stiffing a Mexican caddie when he won the Miyakobi Classic last year.

Harry Potter
11 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Might be boos this time - been all over the papers regarding Kucher stiffing a Mexican caddie when he won the Miyakobi Classic last year.

interesting .

SectionG

Yes, it’s boos this time and was booed last week, only gave caddy $5k despite winning over $mil. Then apparently made disparaging remarks about the caddy’s income. Although apparently he has now paid the caddy the 10% going rate.

merrymac
7 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

interesting .

Instead of talking about golf, Kuchar, long a fan favorite, had to address his payment to David 'El Tucan' Ortiz, who was a fill-in caddie for Kuchar when he won the Mayakoba Golf Classic and its $1.3 million first prize last year.

Kuchar originally paid Ortiz $5,000 for his week's work — a deal the two agreed upon. But when news broke of the sum — which accounted for less than 0.4 percent of Kuchar's winnings, far below the standard 10 percent ($130,000) regular Tour caddies receive when their boss wins — Kuchar came under intense criticism.

At first, Kuchar defended his payment, which led to more criticism that he was out of touch, cheap and insensitive. Then he doubled down, and as some said on social media, he kept putting his own feet in his mouth. Fans at Riviera hurled biting remarks at Kuchar throughout his four rounds.

Upon reflection — he said he cringed when he read the words of his defense — Kuchar had a change of heart.

"Listen, I was stubborn, hard-headed," Kuchar said last week. "In my mind, I had it as 'a deal is a deal.' But after I won the tournament, a deal wasn't a deal. Any transaction, all parties should come out feeling like they've won, and certainly in David's case he did not feel like he won in that situation.

"I need to make it right. It's as simple as that."

Kuchar sent an additional $45,000 to Ortiz and made a charitable contribution to the Mayakoba Golf Classic.

Harry Potter
2 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Instead of talking about golf, Kuchar, long a fan favorite, had to address his payment to David 'El Tucan' Ortiz, who was a fill-in caddie for Kuchar when he won the Mayakoba Golf Classic and its $1.3 million first prize last year.

Kuchar originally paid Ortiz $5,000 for his week's work — a deal the two agreed upon. But when news broke of the sum — which accounted for less than 0.4 percent of Kuchar's winnings, far below the standard 10 percent ($130,000) regular Tour caddies receive when their boss wins — Kuchar came under intense criticism.

At first, Kuchar defended his payment, which led to more criticism that he was out of touch, cheap and insensitive. Then he doubled down, and as some said on social media, he kept putting his own feet in his mouth. Fans at Riviera hurled biting remarks at Kuchar throughout his four rounds.

Upon reflection — he said he cringed when he read the words of his defense — Kuchar had a change of heart.

"Listen, I was stubborn, hard-headed," Kuchar said last week. "In my mind, I had it as 'a deal is a deal.' But after I won the tournament, a deal wasn't a deal. Any transaction, all parties should come out feeling like they've won, and certainly in David's case he did not feel like he won in that situation.

"I need to make it right. It's as simple as that."

Kuchar sent an additional $45,000 to Ortiz and made a charitable contribution to the Mayakoba Golf Classic.

Thats not good press is it.

merrymac
1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

Thats not good press is it.

Nope - think he will be eating humble pie for a while yet.

Will need thick skin in Mexico this week !!