Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

6 minutes ago, Barack said:

Yeah. Hate those error strewn rounds of...80.

:lol:

Could not tell you the last time I shot in the 80s , probably in the 60s more recent than 80s tbh. ?

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Aye, but your bald. I'm not.

Swings & roundabouts.?

I am bald and most definitely beautiful ?

43 minutes ago, Barack said:

Yeah. Hate those error strewn rounds of...80.

:lol:

It's all relative buddy.    A once proud golf hard punter is toiling a bit.    I just need my 2% back.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, merrymac said:

How did you enjoy Dunaverty?

Played it a number of years ago fun little holiday course and the greens were some of the best I have ever putted on.

Managed to shoot a scratch 59 holed just about every putt I stood over - ah those were the days!!

Really enjoyed it, really fun wee course. Greens were great, not the quickest but in perfect condition. Didn't quite manage a 59 though, hit 78.

6 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Really enjoyed it, really fun wee course. Greens were great, not the quickest but in perfect condition. Didn't quite manage a 59 though, hit 78.

Glad you enjoyed it. Thats the same as they were when I played. Just had one of those days that you have once or twice in your life think I had about 22 putts and a chip in. 

Doesnt seem to happen anymore:ermm:

Great trip though the old is spectacular, and the Dunes much improved from the Crazy golf course, it was when it first opened.

Samuel Camazzola

Completed the Longest Day Challenge this weekend. Four rounds over two of The St Andrews Links and each of the Fairmont courses respectively. 

5am start and finished around 9:30pm. Cracking day, great conditions and back was done in at the end. Nearly 25 miles of walking covered. 

Highly recommend it for anyone looking to experience the day and support a good cause. 

I might sign up for next year and see if the new Dumbarnie Links would be willing to provide a tee time. ?

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Glad you enjoyed it. Thats the same as they were when I played. Just had one of those days that you have once or twice in your life think I had about 22 putts and a chip in. 

Doesnt seem to happen anymore:ermm:

Great trip though the old is spectacular, and the Dunes much improved from the Crazy golf course, it was when it first opened.

The electric fences were quite the shock :lol:

I think the Dunes just edges the Old. 11-18 are pretty underwhelming on the Old.

hmfc_liam06

Anyone done group trips to Spain or Portugal?

We're thinking of heading for a boys trip next year. 8 of us. Pestana prices look good and unlimited golf too but recent reviews seem terrible.

15 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We're thinking of heading for a boys trip next year. 8 of us. Pestana prices look good and unlimited golf too but recent reviews seem terrible.

www.Bilyanagolf.com 

Edited by Armageddon

40 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The electric fences were quite the shock :lol:

I think the Dunes just edges the Old. 11-18 are pretty underwhelming on the Old.

Not lierally I hope :afro:

The Dunes was terrible at first, you had to have a guide with each group, or people were literally getting lost:ermm: Do thy still have the screen fence on the par 3 to stop the sand from the beach invading the green?, it was like putting in a bunker before they put it up!

The last couple on the old are particularly poor especially as they have ground they could do something better, but they probably dont want to mess with the historical aspect.

Samuel Camazzola
57 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I've been to Mallorca, Puerto Banus and Dona Pepa, Quesada but all were over 10 years ago. 

Mallorca was good and from what I recall, we played Son Vida, Bendinat and one of the Santa Ponca courses (I think there are at least three but one is exclusive to members). 

Puerto Banus was good with courses being Los Naranjos, Aloha and the highlight being La Quinta (three 9 hole layouts where you get allocated to two of the tracks). 

Quesada (near Guardamar) had Villa Martin, La Marquesa, Las Ramblas and the highlight, La Finca. 

All golf was booked whilst over there and probably before the easy accessibility of doing it in advance now without the intermediation of an agent etc. 

If I was to be doing a trip now, I'd be looking at something in the Belek area of Turkey. Complexes and courses look superb and will definitely offer better value for money. A group of mates stayed at the Regnum Carya (which hosts the Turkish Open) and got their flights, golf and all inclusive board basis for £1k last April. 

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Used a guy Adrian - AM golf holidays.

Good guy knows his stuff has brilliant deals at Penina and San Lorenzo (Dona Filipa Hotel -quality)

Has Spain as well be we always went back to Portugal thought the courses were better.

Hope you get sorted,

10 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Costa Calida, Los Alcazares.

www.ccgt.co.uk for course bookings.

www.hotelcostanarejos.com 7 nights DBB £230 in May 4* special offer. pay the minimum for breakfast €9 and €27 for evening meal and the accommodation is free.

Been doing this area for the last 15 years, just gets better & better.

Las Colinas, Lo Romero, La Serena, La Finca, Roda, Riquelme, La Torre, Mar Menor, to name but a few. All between 5 & 25 minute's from the above hotel.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

5 medal summary.

Birdie - 4

Par - 34

Bog - 40

Double - 12

No prizes for seeing where the 5 x 0.1s have happened.    

46 minutes ago, Barack said:

Won't need to go abroad. Seen the forecast for the end of the week? 

28 degrees here in Wales. Golf shorts making their 1st appearance this year.

:pleasing:

Hope we get a wee summer.  Couple of weeks would do.

Regional Qualifying for The Open at my club today. Done my stint as a spotter this morning. Watch some golf now.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Regional Qualifying for The Open at my club today. Done my stint as a spotter this morning. Watch some golf now.

What club are you at? Fairmont, St Andrews has qualifying being hosted 9n 2nd July. 

10 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

What club are you at? Fairmont, St Andrews has qualifying being hosted 9n 2nd July. 

Its Regional today which is what they used to call Local qualifying. Final qualifying is at Fairmont amongst another 4 or 5 other courses. I'm at Kedlestone. Nobody has ripped at apart today. 3 under the best score so far.

Looking like level will get you into a play off to go through to final qualifying at the moment. Top 11 go through from here.

Edited by Notts1874

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Its Regional today which is what they used to call Local qualifying. Final qualifying is at Fairmont amongst another 4 or 5 other courses. I'm at Kedlestone. Nobody has ripped at apart today. 3 under the best score so far.

Looking like level will get you into a play off to go through to final qualifying at the moment. Top 11 go through from here.

Fairmont is going to be set up as a hybrid of the two courses. I think they are going to be relying on the lengthened course and some windy conditions to keep the scores down as the fairways have not been brought in too much so I can't imagine these guys will miss them too often. 

Played 9 holes at Wee Braids plus 2 rounds at Carricknowe in the last month. Wee Braids was the first time I had hit a ball in 9 years, back when I was a Junior member at Kingsknowe! 

Really enjoying it and Kingsknowe are doing a 8 week summer membership for £99 so gonna sign up for that and hopefully get back on track. 

Before I stopped I was always aiming to break 90, but my scores this month have been just over 100, although I had a highlight of +1 through 5 holes at Carricknowe during my last round. 

Dunno if it’s unrealistic but my target is to break 90 before the end of summer! ?? 

Edited by JamboMarc

Played Muirfield last night in the county cup (foursomes)... If you do anything wrong, .....ANYTHING wrong on that course  - you will be punished....  Lost a hole to a 7 - both teams having lost balls, and up against the face in a bunker then 3 putting.  Combined, all four of us had about a handicap of 10... We were broken after the game! 

My partner lost 3 balls as well - Which didn't go down well!  - Lol 

Great condition, brilliant greens -

hmfc_liam06
On 26/06/2019 at 17:56, JamboMarc said:

Played 9 holes at Wee Braids plus 2 rounds at Carricknowe in the last month. Wee Braids was the first time I had hit a ball in 9 years, back when I was a Junior member at Kingsknowe! 

Really enjoying it and Kingsknowe are doing a 8 week summer membership for £99 so gonna sign up for that and hopefully get back on track. 

Before I stopped I was always aiming to break 90, but my scores this month have been just over 100, although I had a highlight of +1 through 5 holes at Carricknowe during my last round. 

Dunno if it’s unrealistic but my target is to break 90 before the end of summer! ?? 

All the best! Let us know how you get on.

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Heading to Niddry Castle for a wee knock this afternoon. Not played there in a few years.

I was there the other night! Love playing it from the whites - my dads a member there.

7 hours ago, Bigsmak said:

Played Muirfield last night in the county cup (foursomes)... If you do anything wrong, .....ANYTHING wrong on that course  - you will be punished....  Lost a hole to a 7 - both teams having lost balls, and up against the face in a bunker then 3 putting.  Combined, all four of us had about a handicap of 10... We were broken after the game! 

My partner lost 3 balls as well - Which didn't go down well!  - Lol 

Great condition, brilliant greens -

Must have been a great experience.    But much better of course if you do well at the same time.     You would have to be a really good chipper and putter to keep the score down.   

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, Armageddon said:

I was there the other night! Love playing it from the whites - my dads a member there.

To be honest, it was just as shite as I remembered it to be :lol:

Daisies all over the place annoyed me more than anything. 4/6/7/17 & 18 are decent enough holes though.

John mcCartney

Walked around Muirfield on Wednesday practice day 2013 open....27 deg n all.Looked a very testing but fair links to play.
the par 3`s are superb.All of it,just classic top level golf,a jewel ......and yet when you drive past and look over the course, is allways empty.

20 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

Walked around Muirfield on Wednesday practice day 2013 open....27 deg n all.Looked a very testing but fair links to play.
the par 3`s are superb.All of it,just classic top level golf,a jewel ......and yet when you drive past and look over the course, is allways empty.

Not now the women have snaked in.

:calmdown:

hmfc_liam06
52 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

Cant think why...

:wonga:

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

To be honest, it was just as shite as I remembered it to be :lol:

Daisies all over the place annoyed me more than anything. 4/6/7/17 & 18 are decent enough holes though.

Have to agree, not a good course, first hole is a joke, green slopes away at a ridiculous and angle, then the 2nd?????

hmfc_liam06
10 hours ago, SectionG said:

Have to agree, not a good course, first hole is a joke, green slopes away at a ridiculous and angle, then the 2nd?????

I was pin high in the rough on the first. Chipped on to the green, probably about 20 foot above the pin...ball rolled off the green :lol:

Competition today and knockout tie tomorrow.    Qualifier for a secondary club championship and coughing up 5 shots in the tie.     Just going to have to hope for a tighter score building today or forget it.    As ever in a tie when giving shots,   try to win a couple of them against the head and get a bit of scoreboard comfort going.   If I had to choose one or the other I would take a qualifying score and a pie in the face in the tie.     I need a score and a small cut.

hmfc_liam06

Question - can you get cut from a 4BBB? Say you go round and finish every hole and complete your card, could your club cut you if you reported your score?

JamboCampbell
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Question - can you get cut from a 4BBB? Say you go round and finish every hole and complete your card, could your club cut you if you reported your score?

Nope in short mate 

7 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I was pin high in the rough on the first. Chipped on to the green, probably about 20 foot above the pin...ball rolled off the green :lol:

Its a ridiculous green, it’s not golf when you have to try and just run the ball onto a par 3

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, JamboCampbell said:

Nope in short mate 

Cool cheers. Any reason why? You're playing your own ball for 18 holes?

JamboCampbell
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Cool cheers. Any reason why? You're playing your own ball for 18 holes?

Not sure the exact reason but assuming down to the fact nobody is directly signing your card. Eg there are multiple scores on one card

1 minute ago, JamboCampbell said:

Not sure the exact reason but assuming down to the fact nobody is directly signing your card. Eg there are multiple scores on one card

You’re not playing under medal conditions as you are playing as a team, taking advice from your partner and playing a completely different game.

Lol.   Always a fun fest these days.

Double - double start.    Head melting.    Par - par.    Bogey - bogey.    Another double at 8.     From 9... 3433443.    4th double arrives at 16.    Par - par finish.

43 + 35 = 78.    Buffer and a step towards 'normality'.     But just 2 bogeys and 4 doubles is not normality.    It's golf turned on it's head.    

William H. Bonney

3 birdies, 2 chip ins and 3 putts from off the green. 

Best I could manage was an 84. 

Driving was erratic to say the least. 

Birdie - 5

Par - 45

Bogey - 42

Double - 16

A rate of over 2.5 doubles per round.   That's 2 or 3 shots per round escaping just in doubles.    Pars/bogeys could be a bit better in favour of the pars so that's a total rate of about 4-5 shots per round.    That's a perfect example of the fine margins involved.    

I think I've had a good rate of 3s.   3 or 4 per round.    But almost just as many 6s.

Knockout tie.  Beat 2/1.  It's a perilous start giving 2 shots in the first 5 plus a number of tricky holes.  Guy starts like he's the low player.   Holes from off the green at the 6th after being a foot from going out of bounds.   5 down thru 6.   He's giving nothing in the way of errors and not even my 15" putt to win the 7th.   Won that and battled away to get back to 1 down,  then faced with his final shot at the 16th which was lost.  Putt to win the 17th manages to take the lip of the hole at zero mm/s and overhangs the back.   Pretty sure I would have won the last but denied the chance to find out.

Fault lies with the inability to play the first 6 holes.   Coming up against a player who plays very few medals,  has a highish handicap and went nowhere near a bad hole makes it a bit tough though.   I've done the same to other players in the past so have some of your own medicine I suppose.

Edited by Victorian

6 minutes ago, Barack said:

Gracias Señor!

20190630_192338.jpg

Yeah,  a bit of Dick Turpin going on but that's not the cause of being beaten.   The match could have been won.   The guy hasn't matched his score today in any medal in the last few years but continually starting to play golf on the 7th tee is the cause.

4 minutes ago, Barack said:

I've recently enjoyed my Golf from the 3rd hole onwards.

Might just start putting from the tee on the 1st next. 295 yard putt.??

I actually like a course you can build your score on the back 9 after surviving the harder part.   Not much point if you're missing an arm and a leg after the hard bit though.     

Thankful for the heavy rainfall yesterday. Slowed the greens down today to more manageable level compared to when I played on Thursday. I had already taken 4 less putts by the third hole. :lol: 

14 hours ago, Barack said:

I've recently enjoyed my Golf from the 3rd hole onwards.

Might just start putting from the tee on the 1st next. 295 yard putt.??

How long is your warm up routine?  I was the same and always felt good from 3 or 4 onwards.. Turns out that it took me a little bit to get going and warm up... So if I can, I usually his some balls before and am warm on the first tee these days!  - 

Definitely a major failing of lots of players.    Considering how simple it is to make some kind of effort to hit 10-15 balls it's self inflicted.    

Why didn't you have a hit?   Dunno,   just wandered down to the first tee.    No need to wonder why your first par was at the 4th then.    

I think I spent more time deciding which irons (exc. 52 & 56 wedges) were taking a tour around the course on Saturday.    But didn't have one out the bag until the 3rd hole.    Go figure the glaring mistake.

14 minutes ago, Barack said:

Difference is, you care about your score for handicap & comps. I'm playing a social don't give a **** about knockabout. ?

I just take the rough with the smooth these days. Plenty of times I've rocked up, jumped out the car, straight to the tee, and proceeded to shoot a great front 9. If I have the time, I spend more time at the practice bunker & the putting green, than I do hitting 15 shots into a shitey moth-eaten green net.

No I was including myself.  I'm a lazy ****er.    Definitely have to start preparing.