Official Golf geeks gibber thread

Victorian

By The Light..
On 26/01/2024 at 12:30, Bigsmak said:

Wasn't Tigers caddy the highest earning New Zealand sportsman for about 7 years straight! 

Martin Kaymer's caddie Craig Connelly was the highest paid sportsperson in Scotland in 2014

"With Kaymer, he won two major titles and climbed to number one in the world. Kaymer winning The Players Championship and then the U.S. Open within the space of five weeks in 2014 meant serious prize money for Connelly (US$3.42 million)."

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hmfc_liam06

• Samuel Camazzola

• Irufushi

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, By The Light.. said:

Martin Kaymer's caddie Craig Connelly was the highest paid sportsperson in Scotland in 2014

"With Kaymer, he won two major titles and climbed to number one in the world. Kaymer winning The Players Championship and then the U.S. Open within the space of five weeks in 2014 meant serious prize money for Connelly (US$3.42 million)."

Ah nice one, I had big Elks caddy Dave Renwick in mind for a story like this.

Tommy Brown
12 hours ago, escobri said:

Ah nice one, I had big Elks caddy Dave Renwick in mind for a story like this.

Here's a paer clip, probably from my brother's scrap book. Him and Buddy grew up through school together.

He done astonishing well considering he wasn't a golfer.

A Grove Bar drinker. We were a tight bunch :lol:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2016/feb/04/dave-renwick-caddie-three-major-winners-dies-62

Screenshot_20240201_102300_Facebook.jpg

13 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Here's a paer clip, probably from my brother's scrap book. Him and Buddy grew up through school together.

He done astonishing well considering he wasn't a golfer.

A Grove Bar drinker. We were a tight bunch :lol:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2016/feb/04/dave-renwick-caddie-three-major-winners-dies-62

Screenshot_20240201_102300_Facebook.jpg

It's a cracking story and pic above is a beauty, I've no doubt his money was well earned working for Vijay.

hmfc_liam06

Second week of being a member of a links course and already seeing the benefits.

My old place shut, but new place open and main greens in play. 

Dunno why I didn’t make the move sooner 😅

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Second week of being a member of a links course and already seeing the benefits.

Very jealous. Trying to get a links membership out East Lothian way is near impossible these days. 

7 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Only your second week, you say...:sweeet:

Armageddon
On 08/02/2024 at 21:55, Armageddon said:

A totally random question. If a set of clubs has +4 wraps of tape under the grips and I want them removed and re-applied with just a single wrap, will the same grips be useable or stretched too much?

(Places can remove and save the grips with an air compressor popped into the top).  I’ve tried calling the pro shop that I’d go to but they’ve not been answering all week.

Im needing 0.5” taken off, grips removed and reapplied, and the lie set to 1 degree upright on a set of 8 irons.

Golf Clubs 4 Cash 👌🏼

Full new grips, cut down 0.5”, lie changed, all for £8.99 per club and done in an hour 👏🏼👏🏼

Yet again amazing service from the team down there, plus a very generous trade in price for the old irons.  

Samuel Camazzola
17 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Did you consider a membership 'over the wall' or was it made easier by knowing guys to play with there? 

Tommy Brown
13 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Golf Clubs 4 Cash 👌🏼

Full new grips, cut down 0.5”, lie changed, all for £8.99 per club and done in an hour 👏🏼👏🏼

Yet again amazing service from the team down there, plus a very generous trade in price for the old irons.  

Where did you do a fitting ?

Armageddon
1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

Where did you do a fitting ?

A decent place in Edinburgh 😬  The cost was through the roof, so before committing I checked what was down there, GC4C had a set of P7MC's in immaculate condition, £400 trade in for the old irons and £350 handed over for these with the alterations included in that price.

hmfc_liam06
5 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Did you consider a membership 'over the wall' or was it made easier by knowing guys to play with there? 

A bit of that. But also cost/waiting list.

By The Light..

Some performance from Nick Taylor at the Phoenix Open!

I watched last night and he had to birdie 15, 16 & 18 to get to -21 into a play off with Hoffman.

In the play off they then both birdied the 434yd 18th and went back to it again and Nick birdies it for the 3rd time in row to win.

Plenty social media chat about the crowds but watching on TV it looked great.

Edited by By The Light..

1 hour ago, By The Light.. said:

Some performance from Nick Taylor at the Phoenix Open!

I watched last night and he had to birdie 15, 16 & 18 to get to -21 into a play off with Hoffman.

In the play off they then both birdied the 434yd 18th and went back to it again and Nick birdies it for the 3rd time in row to win.

Plenty social media chat about the crowds but watching on TV it looked great.

He got a couple of nice bounces out of bunkers which helps a bit, but his putting was class. 👏

On 11/02/2024 at 23:09, Armageddon said:

Golf Clubs 4 Cash 👌🏼

Would that not alter the balance (swing weight) of the club by reducing its length, and possibly the swing speed?

Armageddon
7 hours ago, sac said:

Would that not alter the balance (swing weight) of the club by reducing its length, and possibly the swing speed?

They were originally +0.5” so now standard.

I get the club fitting process but only to a certain extent, like there’s no way Jack Nic was tweaking to the levels we have 10 handicappers believing they have to these days 😂

1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

They were originally +0.5” so now standard.

I get the club fitting process but only to a certain extent, like there’s no way Jack Nic was tweaking to the levels we have 10 handicappers believing they have to these days 😂

👍

Jambo4050
On 12/02/2024 at 07:42, Samuel Camazzola said:

Having played both numerous times now lundin is in a different league to Leven. 

superb golf course and the greens are some of the best in Scotland, up there with gullane and castle Stuart for best I’ve played in Scotland.

hmfc_liam06
23 minutes ago, Jambo4050 said:

superb golf course and the greens are some of the best in Scotland, up there with gullane and castle Stuart for best I’ve played in Scotland.

While I agree that Lundin > Leven, it's all down to money at the end of the day.

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, Jambo4050 said:

I agree that Lundin is the better of the two courses. Loses points for the two holes up by the road though. 

@hmfc_liam06 will no doubt get the opportunity to play the event which has the course set up across both tracks.

In terms of best greens, out of all the 'elite' courses I played, Lothianburn still trumped them despite it's humble existence. Just a pity it had to close. 

The Torrance at The Fairmont have had sensational putting surfaces for the last few years. With the DP World and Asian Tours hosting events and Open qualifying being hosted there, the quality stepped up a level. 

hmfc_liam06
22 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I agree that Lundin is the better of the two courses. Loses points for the two holes up by the road though. 

@hmfc_liam06 will no doubt get the opportunity to play the event which has the course set up across both tracks.

In terms of best greens, out of all the 'elite' courses I played, Lothianburn still trumped them despite it's humble existence. Just a pity it had to close. 

The Torrance at The Fairmont have had sensational putting surfaces for the last few years. With the DP World and Asian Tours hosting events and Open qualifying being hosted there, the quality stepped up a level. 

I wasn't a huge lover of Leven but now that I'm a member I'm appreciating it the more I play it.

And totally agree about Lundin, holes 11-14 are extremely weak and would prevent it from ever being mentioned in the same breath as the more illustrious courses up the coast.

Best greens I've played on in recent years belonged to Forres and Dunaverty. Played both on weekends away. Played Moray, Castle Stuart and Forres at one and both Machrihanish courses and Dunaverty at another and the wee guys at both blew the big boys out the water.

Armageddon
5 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

What an arse........... :)

I think this is bit of a set up, girl filming, breeks right up her hoop, guy gives advice and she's totally polite, some big golf social accounts pick up on this and it's had huge viewing numbers... 10k from me alone but muted.

Dawnrazor
2 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

What an arse........... :)

I think this is bit of a set up, girl filming, breeks right up her hoop, guy gives advice and she's totally polite, some big golf social accounts pick up on this and it's had huge viewing numbers... 10k from me alone but muted.

She does look well in those leggings mind!

giphy (3).gif

10 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

She does look well in those leggings mind!

giphy (3).gif

Partly why I think it’s a set up too. Not that these things don’t happen, they definitely do, but this one feels manufactured to boost her profile in many ways, camel or no camel. 

2 hours ago, William H. Bonney said:

Anthony Kim has joined the liv tour as a wildcard, 12 years after his last event due to injury and a payout from the pga tour. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/68400951

LIV offering him more cash than what his insurance payout was I presume. And that'll be without winning anything.

He was a cracking player, will be interesting to see how he gets on.

Vlad Magic
On 28/02/2024 at 14:59, kila said:

LIV offering him more cash than what his insurance payout was I presume. And that'll be without winning anything.

He was a cracking player, will be interesting to see how he gets on.

Dead last!!

7 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Dead last!!

Just as well there's no cut too

Irufushi

He must’ve had some amount of gear in the past 10/15 years. 😂 looks like a different person. 

escobri
19 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Anyone tried any Caley gear?

Can't be any help to you as I'd never heard of them until I seen your post, I had a look and must say they do look nice, and looked to have  impressed on those who've reviewed. Good spec of shafts/grips and all for a decent price. Won't tempt me away from my Mizunos though 🤣

Statts1976uk
23 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Rick Shiels has done a review of them, I think for the price he seemed fairly impressed with them. Should be on YouTube somewhere.

hmfc_liam06

I seen one review from a Scottish guy living in Canada, he reckons they're not great for folks with a low ball flight. Which is me...

Lord Beni of Gorgie
On 05/03/2024 at 16:06, hmfc_liam06 said:

Sponsor Under Par Golf on YouTube, not tried it but they look ok.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Any suggestions for a course, Edinburgh or West of on Monday with no mats, big ask! Taking in a round en route to Greenock

RustyRightPeg
On 05/03/2024 at 16:06, hmfc_liam06 said:

My mate knows the guy and had the Driver. He let me use it for a round...3 holes in.

:hartley:

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Any suggestions for a course, Edinburgh or West of on Monday with no mats, big ask! Taking in a round en route to Greenock

You're better trying down near Kilspindie or even over the bridge at this time of year mate. The more linksy the better.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

You're better trying down near Kilspindie or even over the bridge at this time of year mate. The more linksy the better.

Cheers, been looking, travel wise East Lothian a bit of a crippler for me, Sunday night weather forecast also coming into play. West Lothian any good?

RustyRightPeg
5 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Cheers, been looking, travel wise East Lothian a bit of a crippler for me, Sunday night weather forecast also coming into play. West Lothian any good?

West Lothian not my forte unfortunately, just aware that EL & North of it tend to be a bit more lax on mats and winter greens due to the proximity to the coasts.

1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Craigmillar Park

Swanston

Tommy Brown
13 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Did you not fancy any of the ones I posted before near Greenock?

West Lothian- Pumphy is part mats, Uphall just top dressed their greens yesterday, Deer Park are generally on Winter Greens.

Greenburn or Shotts may be a good shout.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Did you not fancy any of the ones I posted before near Greenock?

West Lothian- Pumphy is part mats, Uphall just top dressed their greens yesterday, Deer Park are generally on Winter Greens.

Greenburn or Shotts may be a good shout.

Most seem to be mats. Dont mind teeing off mats, fairways kind of spoils the fun for me :)

Cheers for the info though, helpful.

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Most seem to be mats. Dont mind teeing off mats, fairways kind of spoils the fun for me :)

Cheers for the info though, helpful.

Hitting from soaking wet fairways is even less fun. Mats are far more enjoyable hitting from at soaking parkland courses. You need a good mat of course, and a Spurk mat is the only correct answer.

Tommy Brown
5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Hitting from soaking wet fairways is even less fun. Mats are far more enjoyable hitting from at soaking parkland courses. You need a good mat of course, and a Spurk mat is the only correct answer.

My playing mate has one, it is really good.

Might get one next winter. I said might:whistling:

Miserable git alert.

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

My playing mate has one, it is really good.

Might get one next winter. I said might:whistling:

Miserable git alert.

They’re not the cheapest but if you’re playing a decent bit of winter golf and your course uses mats then they’re worth it.