Top Top Man / Pressley interview (merged threads)

magicTs

:xmaseye:

Sorry to disappoint but I don't have a bigoted bone in my body.

However, I will not stand idly by and let people re-write history. Yes, Elvhis was a cup winning captain and contributed a great deal to the club. But he also went public knowing what the outcome would be for him personally and stuck it up the Hearts fans with his completely unnecessary and disrespectful chest thumping. The last two negatives far outweigh the positives.

I trust this clarifies matters. :xmasgrin:

Well if your not, you certainly come across as one, so I trust that clarifies my position too.

Many would argue that SP put himself in the position that he did for the greater good of the club, events that have happened since then would certainly support that. I think he made a huge mistake that day, and I did boo him myself, but on reflection I can see where he was coming from, forgiveness is like that though, it means we can rise above it and move on.

Most of us have, but some on here come across as nuckle dragging neanderthals for whom evolution has passed by. The constant adding of H's etc, all adds up to saying a whole lt more about the bigoted element in the Hearts support than it ever does about SP. Sure I can see a lot of it is done to troll and hook a few of us in, and I certainly get hooked every time, but I will never stand by and let this happen without speaking out, I very much dislike both halves of the old firm and I really cant see the difference between the two, however I suspect that's not quite the case with certain people on KB, you know the ones, always "support" each other in these debates, add H's, like Chelsea, ( and other teams in blue?) etc. You see in my book they are worse than old firm fans. Maybe it's just how you come across!!!?:xmasoh:

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd have been happier if he kept his mouth shut as he would have remained a Hearts player and we needed him. He let the club down.

I think he thought he was doing the right thing for the club, that his actions would in some way resolve the situation. In the end it didn't quite work out that way. It was a misjudgement, a wrong call, but in my opinion with the right intentions. We all make mistakes.

He's a pro Gambo, I would like to think he wouldn't let fans booing him actually get to him.

Everyones entitled to see things their own way, and have their own opinions on it, I cant ignore the fact that the man led us in 8 league campaigns, lifted a Scottish Cup for us, won god knows how many derby matches as captain, led us into Europe, and played hundreds of games for us.

Maybe I forgive easier than some, but facts don't lie.

Completely agree with everything you have said on this matter john and the vast majority of decent hearts fans feel the same,

Why is he training at Lennoxtown and not Riccarton?

Even for you Charlie that is ****ing pathetic.

Guest Dipped Flake

True legend for Hearts, would love to see him back here one day as manager. He will, IMO, be a top, top coach in years to come.

How many times will this chestnut get bloody roasted ffs?

Elvis was a Hearts player longer than he was anyone elses player, he captained more games for us than any other club he was at, and he led us to only our second trophy win in my footballing lifetime, the man will always be a Hearts legend in my eyes.

Yes I was disappointed at his chest pumping antics at the time, however Elvis is an honest hard working pro who wears his heart on his sleeve, and to be honest if I had been treated the same way by the mad Russian, then I would have wanted to get it right up the tosser too!

Elvis was an honest pro. I watched him at Pittodrie once, playing for Rangers. He was roasted by a pretty poor Aberdeen (under Roy Aitken, I think). He was laughed off the pitch by the Dons fans and booed and laughed off by Das Hun and must have been 20 at the time. I wondered at the time if I would ever see him play again.

I don't know what effect that experience had on him at the time but I think it almost certainly made him the rock that he proved to be for us and DUFC. I think it is also why he looks after and clearly mentors his younger colleagues (eg Webster, Berra).

I met him once at Dalmahoy Hotel the morning before the Hibs away game under Ivanauskis. He was a shattered man that day and didn't play if I recall correctly. The whole HMFC team looked like a completely dysfunctional unit deep in the mire. We lost that day (three weeks after the Hampden Semi-final victory). He stuck it out at HMFC for as long as he could stand it. I really believe that he tried to maintain standards as he claimed. I do believe that it cost him to have to throw in the towel.

I have undiluted admiration for him despite that lapse when at dressed in the Hoops.

Drylaw Hearts
He's a Celtic man now? I don't know why DH - the evil Romanov didn't do anything to stop him playing in Robbie's testimonial did he, Maybury asked if he could train with the club so why not Elvis ?

Maybe Wee Ginge called him and offered him the chance to use the facilities before VR had the chance to pick up the phone ?

Charlie-Brown
Maybe Wee Ginge called him and offered him the chance to use the facilities before VR had the chance to pick up the phone ?

Was Maybury offered use of the facilities or did he contact the club to ask?

Bomber Harris' Best Mate
Well if your not, you certainly come across as one, so I trust that clarifies my position too.

Many would argue that SP put himself in the position that he did for the greater good of the club, events that have happened since then would certainly support that. I think he made a huge mistake that day, and I did boo him myself, but on reflection I can see where he was coming from, forgiveness is like that though, it means we can rise above it and move on.

Most of us have, but some on here come across as nuckle dragging neanderthals for whom evolution has passed by. The constant adding of H's etc, all adds up to saying a whole lt more about the bigoted element in the Hearts support than it ever does about SP. Sure I can see a lot of it is done to troll and hook a few of us in, and I certainly get hooked every time, but I will never stand by and let this happen without speaking out, I very much dislike both halves of the old firm and I really cant see the difference between the two, however I suspect that's not quite the case with certain people on KB, you know the ones, always "support" each other in these debates, add H's, like Chelsea, ( and other teams in blue?) etc. You see in my book they are worse than old firm fans. Maybe it's just how you come across!!!?:xmasoh:

does liking chelsea make you a bigot (or are you just a bigot) :)

jamboinglasgow
I suspect because he has not been invited to Riccarton. Csaba Lazslo could do far worse than get him involved in training the youngsters though, god knows we are short of experienced leaders at the club whose good habits and professionalism could be of great benefit.

I have always had alot of respect for Pressely, the shirt thumping was a bad move by him but for the six years previous I am willing to forgive.

I agree with you that Csaba would be wise in getting Pressely involved at Hearts. It will require a kiss and make up between Vlad and Pressely which may not be easy (though I am sure that Vlad offered him a coaching posistion which he refused after riccartongate.) But having met Pressely and watched him speak and act it is obvious there is an intelligent footballer in there who is a leader and motivater (remember a thread saying what Pressely said before the 4-0 semi and it is inspired.) He could learn alot from Csaba and would inspire alot of youngsters and develop them, Berra learnt alot of Pressely and so would others.

Pressely may not be a legend, very few people who played for the club are (in fact probably no more than 5 players who played for the club are and one sadly passed away this week) but he gave hearts so much and like it or not gave a passion to the club,and although he did one stupid action, it should not be held against him.

Why do you think ?

Whilst they did not see eye to eye on a few things, i do not think there is the deep hatred betweeen VR/Pressley that some folk would wish us to think.

Who cares where Elvis or Maybury trains and who cares who asked who. None of that has any relevance on what Elvis achieved while he played for the club.

What is the point your trying to make ?

Jeez, Alan Maybury is a no mark figure who played a couple of seasons for Hearts and left amicably. He had a flat in Edinburgh and was looking for training facilities, he was hardly likely to ask Hibs.

Steven Pressley is a completely different scenario. I know you understand that so you are quite clearly looking to stir things.

Whilst they did not see eye to eye on a few things, i do not think there is the deep hatred betweeen VR/Pressley that some folk would wish us to think.

I agree. I'm sure there isn't between Vlad and Burley either. But it didn't stop Elvis making a point: "You said I was finished, and wanted to stop picking me. So I moved to the Champions, and have just won at Tynecastle. GIRUY!" A point aimed at Vlad and the board - not the fans.

Charlie-Brown
Who cares where Elvis or Maybury trains and who cares who asked who. None of that has any relevance on what Elvis achieved while he played for the club.

What is the point your trying to make ?

Why is he going to Celtic before Hearts - does he think Vlad or Hearts wouldn't let him use the facilities?

Ehlvis should never be made welcome at Tynecastle.

What he done was a slap in the face to every fan that supported him during his time at Hearts.

Hes a disgrace.

Gambo, I agree with you. I think if they met they would shake hands and move on.

does liking chelsea make you a bigot (or are you just a bigot) :)

No. Though if you happen to like/follow Chelsea, Rangers, Linfield, Lazio and Real Madrid, it's probably a bit suss. :)

Why is he going to Celtic before Hearts - does he think Vlad or Hearts wouldn't let him use the facilities?

Player trains with Scottish club he most recently played for and departed amicably from shocker! Burn the heretic! Burn him, burn him!

I have no idea and who actually cares ? I see no relevance to anything because of where he trains.

Charlie-Brown
I have no idea and who actually cares ? I see no relevance to anything because of where he trains.

I just find it sad that he talks about his affection for Hearts but doesn't take a perfect opportunity to try to build some bridges.

I reckon he'll join Levein at Utd as a player coach. I think they got on real well when Levein was at the club and I'm quite shocked he isn't there already

I just find it sad that he talks about his affection for Hearts but doesn't take a perfect opportunity to try to build some bridges.

It should be Hearts who are begging him to come back.

siegementality

You'll get over it soon hopefully.

I agree. I'm sure there isn't between Vlad and Burley either. But it didn't stop Elvis making a point: "You said I was finished, and wanted to stop picking me. So I moved to the Champions, and have just won at Tynecastle. GIRUY!" A point aimed at Vlad and the board - not the fans.

A point that wether anyone likes it or not 'hit' the fans and not VR/Board imo.

Stop making **** up to suit the twisted and bigoted view point of some on here.

I have to disagree with you on this. I think VR saw and still sees Elvis as a traitor, and to a Russian that is the lowest of the low.

How do you know the message did not hit VR ? It suits your view to say it was aimed at the fans but I and many more did not see it like that.

Charlie-Brown
Stop making **** up to suit the twisted and bigoted view point of some on here.

That was actually MY opinion Dazo but twist it however you want to. :(

Because he would be refused if he asked, and he knows it. But you know that surely? :xmasbabe:

Elvis was part of a team that took three points from us that day. We missed out on European qualification by four points, and would've been in the driving seat going to the final day had we beaten Celtic instead. You sure about that assertion? ;)

I have to disagree with you on this. I think VR saw and still sees Elvis as a traitor, and to a Russian that is the lowest of the low.

I'm not so sure Redjambo. I think Romanov (and mini-me) both regret how that all ended and knew the huge hole it left in the dressingroom.

The irony is I genuinely think Csaba and Elvis would get along brilliantly. Both are seriously passionate, hard working and decent men.

That was actually MY opinion Dazo but twist it however you want to. :(

It is your opinion that he refused the opportunity to build bridges without knowing whether he asked or not to train with us ?

You have decided he has not asked or been offered without knowing the facts. As i said twisted and pathetic.

Charlie-Brown
Because he would be refused if he asked, and he knows it. But you know that surely? :xmasbabe:

That's just speculation red - others on this thread don't agree with you. :)

Charlie-Brown
It is your opinion that he refused the opportunity to build bridges without knowing whether he asked or not to train with us ?

You have decided he has not asked or been offered without knowing the facts. As i said twisted and pathetic.

No dazo i don't know the facts hence my original question , why is he at lennoxtown not riccarton? other people seem to be reasonably close to elvis i wondered if maybe they might know why or if he'd asked hearts or not - so you should think before you dish out abuse! :(

Elvis was part of a team that took three points from us that day. We missed out on European qualification by four points, and would've been in the driving seat going to the final day had we beaten Celtic instead. You sure about that assertion? ;)

You only have to read this thread and the many others like it to see that Pressley 'hit' a nerve with some of the Hearts support that day with his antics including many who were staunch Pressley supporters. He missed his alleged target that day by a country mile.

You only have to read this thread and the many others like it to see that Pressley 'hit' a nerve with some of the Hearts support that day with his antics including many who were staunch Pressley supporters. He missed his alleged target that day by a country mile.

It clearly wasn't his best moment for many. Perhaps we should make the anniversary of that event 'Pressley day' on JKB and only on that day are we allowed to rake over the old coals.... :xmaszip:

No dazo i don't know the facts hence my original question , why is he at lennoxtown not riccarton? other people seem to be reasonably close to elvis i wondered if maybe they might know why or if he'd asked hearts or not - so you should think before you dish out abuse! :(

If you don't know the facts why have you decided he has not took the opportunity to build bridges ?

Would you agree Gambo that a fair % of the 'Hearts support' Pressley "hit a nerve" with are not quite as sensitive normally and that it may be the case that it was because he was wearing green and white hoops that they got all in a flap ?

That's just speculation red - others on this thread don't agree with you. :)

Yes, namely you. It's all speculation CB. We know nothing, or next to nothing at any rate. You can have a pop at Elvis based on speculation if you want, and I can ignore it if I want, but all it comes across as is that you're labouring a very weak point for no apparent reason other than to wind people up.

Charlie-Brown
If you don't know the facts why have you decided he has not took the opportunity to build bridges ?

If he had asked Hearts and had been refused iam sure there would have been a 50 page thread about it already..........however I wasn't having a pop at Elvis I just wanted to know if anybody knew - seems to me he has missed a small chance to come back even if it was only to train......

Charlie-Brown
Yes, namely you. It's all speculation CB. We know nothing, or next to nothing at any rate. You can have a pop at Elvis based on speculation if you want, and I can ignore it if I want, but all it comes across as is that you're labouring a very weak point for no apparent reason other than to wind people up.

MagicT / Gambo / Shaun.Lawson also don't seem to think there is the lingering animosity your suggest red, but show me where I was having a pop at Elvis?

Would you agree Gambo that a fair % of the 'Hearts support' Pressley "hit a nerve" with are not quite as sensitive normally and that it may be the case that it was because he was wearing green and white hoops that they got all in a flap ?

Yes, but i also bet that there are a fair number of the type of fan you mention above that would feel the exact same if he did it in Rangers strip.

As a side question, is it okay to hate Celtic without being labelled a mini hun/bigot etc?

I hate every team that aint the Heart of Midlothian, yet i find i have to watch my p's and q's when it comes to having a go at Celtic or their players for the fear of being labelled a mini hun/Rangers fan/bigot etc.

If he had asked Hearts and had been refused iam sure there would have been a 50 page thread about it already..........however I wasn't having a pop at Elvis I just wanted to know if anybody knew - seems to me he has missed a small chance to come back even if it was only to train......

There is nothing to gain from him coming back to hearts to train IMO especially if he gets the chance to join a lower SPL club.

While I think that Pressley has nothing to apologise for - people should really gain some form of perspective! - it is quite amusing to me the minority (and you ARE a minority) who feel that Elvis is a traitor, villain etc are looking at this from one angle. Is there perhaps a chance that when Mr Pressley returned to Tynecastle you 'voiced' your displeasure at him before he had even kicked a ball, and perhaps every time he did? Albeit Elvis is not naive, but i believe he did what he did at the press conference for the greater good, hence he probably didn't expect to be treated with so much vitriol upon his return to a club that he genuinely had affection for. As I say, that is a naive viewpoint but is only my opinion. I just find a small number of people on here are so narrow-minded it makes me wonder what sort of life they lead...

As a side question, is it okay to hate Celtic without being labelled a mini hun/bigot etc?

I hate every team that aint the Heart of Midlothian, yet i find i have to watch my p's and q's when it comes to having a go at Celtic or their players for the fear of being labelled a mini hun/Rangers fan/bigot etc.

It should be mandatory for a hearts fan to hate celtic and you should not need to ask permission. :)

Charlie-Brown
There is nothing to gain from him coming back to hearts to train IMO especially if he gets the chance to join a lower SPL club.

On the contrary Dazo it would help dispel notions of animosity between Elvis & Hearts / Romanov.

Yes, but i also bet that there are a fair number of the type of fan you metion above that would feel the exact same if he did it in Rangers strip.

Of course! No-one on here has any problem with anyone who hates Celtic. It's the stuff that accompanies said hatred by just a few on here which drives so many of us up the wall.

Archived