Rangers v Celtic 27th December

marshallschunkychicken

How would you like the OF game to pan out?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How would you like the OF game to pan out?

• Rangers Win
    • Draw
    • Celtic Win

I P Knightley
Another graduate with no life experience :rolleyes:

In you expert opinion, what do you think the result would be, if the Hearts support at Parkhead next week was polled?

Do tell, Yoda. What is this 'life experience' of which you speak? 'Cos I've been hanging around this planet nearly 44 years and I forgot to pick any of it up along the way.

Does it entail getting born; achieving minimal educational standards; staying within 10 miles of your birthplace (except holidays when you go somewhere they speak English and you can get egg & chips); keeping the same opinions you first formed; spending every Saturday following the same routine, meeting the same people in the same pub and shouting the same rubbish at a football match?

Damn those horizons. They're so distant to me.

And to answer your question - that's something that those of us who failed to pick up a 'life experience' do: it wouldn't take an "expert opinion" (not of a statistician) to predict the outcome of any poll. Predicting an poll outcome is more about knowing about the subject matter.

Seriously, though, I'd love to hear about your life experience. My prediction is that it's really dismal.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in no way siding with the "usual suspects" (their wind up patter is now beyond brutal) but in my experience, unless it's of direct benefit to Hearts, most Hearts supporters would prefer Rangers to beat Celtic.

But maybe i've been keeping the wrong company these past 23 years.

I P Knightley
In that case, they are giving away degrees to incompetents.

Having said that, your clear lack of knowledge as to the workings of polling organisations such as MORI indicates it's far more likely that you are making things up. You wouldn't be the first to claim a fake degree and, after all, on the interweb one can be anything one wants to be.

Ker-pow! You're completely Teflon, aren't you?

You debate like a lady. And not a very good one, at that. "Ooh, ooh! That's a valid point, I'll have to counter it by (a) ignoring it and (B) coming up with a hare-brained distraction."

For there to be a clear lack of knowledge about MORI, I'd have had to make claims about their workings. I didn't. I included a pair of numbers to illustrate the point (in simple terms for the hard of thinking) that a very small proportion of the population can be used to determine, with a good degree of accuracy, patterns of the entire population.

I'm not disputing your deep, deep inside knowledge that their samples are not entirely random (do you want to tell me the name of the sampling technique they use or should I look it up on the web where I got the words for my phoney degree?)

However, if we were to follow the route you seem to be suggesting, we'd end up with a sample that's you, your Picky Bum chum and any more who, God help us, are in your mould. The trouble with that is that you are not representative of the 'population' of Hearts fans. You're a subset as is almost everyone who's contributed to the poll which, guess what, makes the poll representative of all Hearts supporters. If you were significant, then the result of the poll would have been what you want it to be.

I'm in no way siding with the "usual suspects" (their wind up patter is now beyond brutal) but in my experience, unless it's of direct benefit to Hearts, most Hearts supporters would prefer Rangers to beat Celtic.

Because that's the way it is, no hiding it. No matter what some on here would like to believe.

Bomber Harris
No they haven't. Unless you're referring to the opinion of the poster who referred to "the mighty Glasgow Rangers", whose fawning to the filthy bluenoses would put him right up there with you in the Rangers arselicking stakes.

Could it be that some people's hatred of Celtic is greater that their love of Hearts?

There's always one, or was it two? hang on it might have been three responding so typically to my reference to Rangers as "The Mighty".

Wait a minute there is a small smilie over on the right hand side that i will use to make things a tad clearer.........:hobofish: there you go.

Some people on here just simply don't read or maybe refuse to accept other opinions. I explained my decision in response to me preferring a Rangers victory;) as opposed to a celtic one:eek:

Hearts are never ever going to match Rangers this season in the run up to second place, open your eyes and get real.

3rd place yes, second place i certainly hope so but very mutch doubtful, Champions !!!!!!! aye right.

I will state again, not one of you clowns out there can question my loyalty for Heart Of Midlothian regardless of my answer to the OP question/poll.

I'm still not sure about Therapist and PB's point of view.

I know you claim that all real Hearts fans prefer the uns, so in your eyes is it impossible to be a real Hearts fan and prefer Celtic?

I may have just completely missed the point of the argument as it has changed a bit over the 8 pages!

PresidentRomanov
Do tell, Yoda. What is this 'life experience' of which you speak? 'Cos I've been hanging around this planet nearly 44 years and I forgot to pick any of it up along the way.

Does it entail getting born; achieving minimal educational standards; staying within 10 miles of your birthplace (except holidays when you go somewhere they speak English and you can get egg & chips); keeping the same opinions you first formed; spending every Saturday following the same routine, meeting the same people in the same pub and shouting the same rubbish at a football match?

Damn those horizons. They're so distant to me.

And to answer your question - that's something that those of us who failed to pick up a 'life experience' do: it wouldn't take an "expert opinion" (not of a statistician) to predict the outcome of any poll. Predicting an poll outcome is more about knowing about the subject matter.

Seriously, though, I'd love to hear about your life experience. My prediction is that it's really dismal.

I see someone thinks he's a high flyer because he lives in London :content:

Unfortunately for me, I've done well enough for myself in Edinburgh, that I've never had the need to leave the beautiful city I was brought up in :)

I P Knightley
I see someone thinks he's a high flyer because he lives in London :content:

Unfortunately for me, I've done well enough for myself in Edinburgh, that I've never had the need to leave the beautiful city I was brought up in :)

You're right, there are some people who just can't better themselves by broadening their horizons. The wheely-bin emptying career prospects are the same in any town round the country. I can see that.

Anyway - back the controls of this high-flying desk of mine. You never know when the Queen's going to pop in for an inspection. Hope that someone has polished the golden toilet bowl.

PresidentRomanov
You're right, there are some people who just can't better themselves by broadening their horizons. The wheely-bin emptying career prospects are the same in any town round the country. I can see that.

Anyway - back the controls of this high-flying desk of mine. You never know when the Queen's going to pop in for an inspection. Hope that someone has polished the golden toilet bowl.

I suppose I'm just lucky that I'm allowed to take my laptop with me in my bucket lorry :P

Bomber Harris
I'm still not sure about Therapist and PB's point of view.

I know you claim that all real Hearts fans prefer the uns, so in your eyes is it impossible to be a real Hearts fan and prefer Celtic?

I may have just completely missed the point of the argument as it has changed a bit over the 8 pages!

I have never claimed "all real Hearts fans prefer Rangers".

Granted I FIND IT HARD TO ACCEPT ANY Scottish football fan not just a Hearts fan (not using the term real) can accept celtic in anyway, shape or form but that is my view on the matter due to what the celtic football club are, the background and the stance they hold on certain issues.

With regards to you missing the point, i would like to ask you to go back and read my posts and accept i prefer Rangers to celtic due to the points stated and not to get confused with other posters, i hate and detest celtic more than Rangers i simply do not want them to win the next Old Firm match, celtic that is;)

Guest Dipped Flake
I have never claimed "all real Hearts fans prefer Rangers".

Granted I FIND IT HARD TO ACCEPT ANY Scottish football fan not just a Hearts fan (not using the term real) can accept celtic in anyway, shape or form but that is my view on the matter due to what the celtic football club are, the background and the stance they hold on certain issues.

With regards to you missing the point, i would like to ask you to go back and read my posts and accept i prefer Rangers to celtic due to the points stated and not to get confused with other posters, i hate and detest celtic more than Rangers i simply do not want them to win the next Old Firm match, celtic that is;)

If you read the post you were replying to, you would have seen that it was directed at 2 specific posters and not yourself. I am sure there are many Hearts fans who prefer rangers to celtic, just as there are many who prefer celtic to rangers. What most Hearts fans can't get it is certain posters hating celtic more than they love Hearts, and the old elephant in the room that is their obvious reason for that hatred

I P Knightley
I suppose I'm just lucky that I'm allowed to take my laptop with me in my bucket lorry :P

You're a scaffy?

What a coincidence - that's the same as the illustration I gave in my last post.

I'm not disputing your deep, deep inside knowledge that their samples are not entirely random

Glad to see we got there at last. :)

MacDonald Jardine
You're a scaffy?

What a coincidence - that's the same as the illustration I gave in my last post.

These last few posts of yours are a disgrace.

MacDonald Jardine

You obviously have.

Didn't you read the poll on here?

You obviously have.

Didn't you read the poll on here?

I didn't actually.

But then i don't need a poll on KB to convince me.

I have my eyes and ears for that thank you very much.

PresidentRomanov
These last few posts of yours are a disgrace.

I agree.

He's the type of person who thinks thinks it's acceptable to look down on someone who 's trying to earn an honest living, in a job that he see's as beneath him :sad:

He's also stated on this thread, that people who go to watch Hearts every week, somehow have something lacking in their life :sad:

I P Knightley

Sorry, Biker. This behaviour is beneath me; it really is.

It's the company I've been keeping lately.

Won't happen again.

'Mon the JTs.

I agree.

I'm the type of person who thinks thinks it's acceptable to look down on someone who's trying to earn an honest living, in a job that he fulfils his potential :sad:

He's also stated on this thread, that I have something lacking in my life :sad:

Doctor FinnBarr
Sorry, Biker. This behaviour is beneath me; it really is.

It's the company I've been keeping lately.

Won't happen again.

'Mon the JTs.

Trust it won't. I won't be coming back into check tho!

What sort of poll is that anyway, no St Johnstone option?

:P

So if Celtic were ever in a position to help Hearts win the title by beating their opponents, you'd want them to lose? :eek:

Don't be silly. I wasn't aware that we were dealing in hypotheticals here, and also thought that that would've been pretty obvious.

I suppose that that's maybe not true if you're the kind of person who thinks that there's such a thing as a "Rangers leaning Hearts pub", though.

Bomber Harris
Another bodyswerve.

OK let's try this one. How far did you go with your statistics studies? Degree level? Higher?

Mine's is degree level plus a spell of delivering post-graduate exam training, particularly in sampling theory and significance testing. I know how sampling works.

If you want to narrow your demographic down to the type of person who fits your description of a "real" Hearts fan, then you'll get your answer to fit your preconception. If you think that 280 on a Hearts supporters' site is not representative, then you're a bigger arse than I previously gave you credit for.

eek::eek::eek: :sobored::

Bomber Harris
If you read the post you were replying to, you would have seen that it was directed at 2 specific posters and not yourself. I am sure there are many Hearts fans who prefer rangers to celtic, just as there are many who prefer celtic to rangers. What most Hearts fans can't get it is certain posters hating celtic more than they love Hearts, and the old elephant in the room that is their obvious reason for that hatred

and if you read the post properly clearly states he is not sure of T & P.B'S views, HE THEN GOES ON TO allege that i claim all "real" Hearts fans prefer Rangers to celtic.

I have already spoken to the elephant and stated the reasons for my hatred for celtic.

and if you read the post properly clearly states he is not sure of T & P.B'S views, HE THEN GOES ON TO allege that i claim all "real" Hearts fans prefer Rangers to celtic.

I have already spoken to the elephant and stated the reasons for my hatred for celtic.

I wan't even referring to your post mate.

Yours just happened to be above mines at the time, i was not asking you for reasons for your argument, that question was aimed at 2 other posters.

Sorry if i caused any confusion:)

siegementality
A win for Rangers FC would do for me. :)

Now that does surprise me!

I'll take Celtic, for no reason other than to hack you off.

He's the type of person who thinks thinks it's acceptable to look down on someone who 's trying to earn an honest living, in a job that he see's as beneath him :sad:

He's also stated on this thread, that people who go to watch Hearts every week, somehow have something lacking in their life :sad:

I found his post extremely distasteful too. :o

Having said that, if he wants to get into a peshing contest about job, salary, assets, countries visited, etc etc he'd end up being bested by either of us. :)

But at the end of the day it's best just to ignore him. His post above about posting something just to "hack me off" shows exactly what he is; a wind-up merchant and troll. :sad:

I P Knightley

Having said that, if he wants to get into a peshing contest about job, salary, assets, countries visited, etc etc he'd end up being bested by either of us. :)

But at the end of the day it's best just to ignore him. His post above about posting something just to "hack me off" shows exactly what he is; a wind-up merchant and troll. :sad:

You have the wrong guy but it deosn't spoil my enjoyment of the irony.

If you think that my laying out credentials to add weight to a statement is a 'peshing' contest, then we're beyond hope.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the game today. Really. If you enjoy the game, it probably means Hearts have done well and if Hearts do well, I'll be happy. Kind of similar to how many folk on the thread want Celtic to beat Rangers if it serves Hearts well, despite having no liking for Celtic.

And now, the thread's back on topic; let's leave it there.

PresidentRomanov

. :sad:

He would be, but if me being a bucket man makes him think he's my internet superior, then let him carry on :P

Anyway, one day he might grow up and realise how incredibly arrogant, ignorant, and shallow it is, to judge someone by what job they do :sad:

Anyway, must get off to the same pub, to meet the same pals, to go and watch the same team, I always do every week, I'll need to leave him to carry on with his celebrity lifestyle sitting on the internet in London for the rest of the day :)

Incidentally, hope Rangers FC lose today :)

Anyway, must get off to the same pub, to meet the same pals, to go and watch the same team, I always do every week

See you soon PB. :)

I didn't see the poll option of:

"A plane-load of Hibs fan crashing into Ibrox and wiping out all involved"

Whilst it is perhaps a bit of a stretch for that to happen, it would be my ideal outcome.

Captain Lithuania
along with players assaulting match officials. pitch invasions and sectarian fuelled riots:)

Just a regular Old Firm match them :)?

Fozzyonthefence
What if we're close to them in the league at that stage?

He can't see past his red white & blue specs for all things Chelsea FC and Rangers FC

Fozzyonthefence

I didn't vote as there there was nothing in the poll for "who gives a toss about the OF Firm game?".

We'll likely be 13 points behind Rangers next week and who knows what is going to happen with our club let alone the playing side of things in the coming weeks / months. The OF games doesn't affect us so why does anyone care except the bigots?

Archived