Who is the better centre half?

Martin_T

Who is the better central defender?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Who is the better central defender?

Both are as bad as each other, Berra isn't as good as we all think he is and Zali is just going through a bad patch just now.

Zali has always been going through a bad patch since his first game for Hearts.

Personally I can't understand why Csaba continues to play him as he seem to be able to more or less pick the team he wants.

I would be tempted to move Eggert in beside Berra and see how he does, he played well before at Centre Half and he is about three years younger than Zali.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Charlie-Brown
You are quite proud of yourself for thinking of that excuse aren't you Charlie? Why didn't you own up to your mistake immediately then, as opposed to arguing the toss on several subsequent posts?

I was arguing the same points with a similar group of posters on both threads as it turned out, I did inadvertedly take this thread off-topic and got confused myself when I couldn't find my previous posts or their replies (which were on the other thread) by that time it was mid-argument so I just carried on.

Nelly Terraces

I've not checked back over this whole thread to see if this has been quuoted, but as far as the god awful Zaliukas is concerned, I'll leave it to man who is responsible for picking the team, and who I have trust in judgement of a footballer, Csaba Lazlo, to give you his view of this player on Saturday:

"In the first half the players made the same mistake and we gave our opponents the opportunity for counter situations. Especially Zaliukas, who stood behind his opponents badly."

That's from the Scotsman website. A direct quote from Shabba. Zaliukas - to blame for yet another goal. What any of us think, is a complete irrelevance, when the manager himself is highlighting this players faults.

Goodnight.

The other angle you probably won't want to acknowledge is that a lot of the sticking up for Lithuanian players whose form at the time has not justified their selection has been done by posters desperate to justify the actions of Romanov and the committee over the last three years. The playing of the race card is the most distasteful manifestation of this siege mentality.

This is a "cream rises to the top" post

:bravo:

In terms of raw ability I'd say that Zaliukas would just shade it.

However, his inability to concentrate for the full ninety minutes means Berra wins this one easily.

I'm just glad the choice wasn't "who do you think was the better Hearts centre forward, Robertson or Beniusis". We would all be getting strung up as card carrying, tattooed, t-shirt wearing members of each and every one of the above organisations.

this one too....:)

I was arguing the same points with a similar group of posters on both threads as it turned out, I did inadvertedly take this thread off-topic and got confused myself when I couldn't find my previous posts or their replies (which were on the other thread) by that time it was mid-argument so I just carried on.

to be fair the opinion you posted kind of transcends threads...

Wrong thread PJ1. My mistake. :)

Irrespective of what thread you intended to put that comment on, it was absolutely unnecessary. I am utterly surprised that such a decent guy can post such a nasty remark, and stand by it.

I can only conclude that you are posting what somebody else wants you to post; again.

Charlie-Brown
Irrespective of what thread you intended to put that comment on, it was absolutely unnecessary. I am utterly surprised that such a decent guy can post such a nasty remark, and stand by it.

I can only conclude that you are posting what somebody else wants you to post; again.

Not at all BH - there are Hearts players who are criticised or slagged on this forum in a way that other players aren't or if they are then far far less frequently - do i think some Hearts fans are bigotted and prejudice? YES I know people like that and a few of them go to tynecastle - do i think opinions like theirs might / are reflected on this forum? again yes I do and i'm not afraid to say it just cos it might upset some people.

There are no Hearts supporters who are racists or xenophobes on JKB or at Tynecastle, the BNP and NF never tried recruiting at Hearts matches, no Hearts supporters have KKK or C18 tattoos or badges or T-Shirts, none of these people ever drink in Robertsons bar (Green Tree) or the Balmoral (Auld Worthies)....nothing to see please move along.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Given much of the above is true, could you:

a) Please explain why none of the following were ever singled out for that much criticism, and certainly never anything personal?

Gilles Rousset

Pasquale Bruno

Stefano Salvatori

Thomas Flogel

Stephane Adam

Antti Niemi

Robert Tomaschek

Ricardo Fuller

Mark de Vries

Jean Louis Valois

Rudi Skacel

Takis Fyssas

Michal Pospisil

Julien Brellier

B) Explain why the following were or have been?

Hans Eskilsson

Mohammed Berthe

Fabien Leclerq

Gordan Petric

Fitzroy Simpson

Marius Zaliukas

Audrius Ksanavicius

Eduardas Kurskis

c) Explain why the following have been too?

Saulius Mikoliunas

Edgaras Jankauskas

Roman Bednar

Mauricio Pinilla

Mirsad Besilija

Christian Nade

Charlie-Brown

Shaun there are opinions expressed on this forum that match some of the negative attitudes & opinions shown towards migrant workers in wider society, some of these opinions range from mild to extreme are xenophobic/racist, when I see some of the things repeatedly written about certain players on JKB in a way that isn't repeated nearly as much to other poor or under performing players and the herd mentality in repeating it then I'm not afraid to call it as i see it, if that makes me the bad guy then so be it.

Shaun there are opinions expressed on this forum that match some of the negative attitudes & opinions shown towards migrant workers in wider society, some of these opinions range from mild to extreme are xenophobic/racist, when I see some of the things repeatedly written about certain players on JKB in a way that isn't repeated nearly as much to other poor or under performing players and the herd mentality in repeating it then I'm not afraid to call it as i see it, if that makes me the bad guy then so be it.

Could you answer my question please?

Charlie-Brown
Could you answer my question please?

Group a) generally played better group B) didn't & group c) were a mixed bag of good & bad

Now can you answer my question.....which group of players have had the endings -useless, -clueless, -pishus etc added to their names, which group of players have been referred to only by squad number etc. People managed to spell Le-Clerq & Eskillson alright and didn't make up names for them or refer to Darren Beckford deliberately only by his squad number. It is the deliberate categorisation of players that i find distateful and question the motivation behind such things and also things like 'send them all back' 'send them home' etc which seems a bit odd given they don't say that to other players.

loveofthegame

Oh dear this is getting embarrassing. I've still yet to read 1 post on a thread of 213 replies (at time of writing) which tries to explain why Zaliukas is better (ok maybe apart from Gambo who in fairness at least gave it a go).

As usual idiots have resulted to the racism/xenophobic card. Some **** has even managed to try to justify a poll of 369-24 by saying posters are just going along with a fashion- I mean wtf!? Some of the posters on this thread, especially on the latter few pages cannot be described as anything but total fandans. Using their horrificly inappropriate and wrong agenda's as the last gasp arguement, as they always do.

Berra is a very promising young defender who looks certain to turn into a consistent Scottish international in years to come. He's captained his club for some time now and has a number of clubs sniffing around him, who is likely to have a career that moves only upwards.

Zaliukas on the other hand is a huddy who has consistently been shoe-horned into the Hearts side by Romanov and his yes men, regardless of how many mistakes he makes. He is just very lucky Mr Romanov is in charge of our club or he would have spent his entire career playing in the Lithuanian league, about his level.

The Mighty Thor

Sorry to drag this back to the topic but here goes.

In terms of form in the last 12 months there wasn't a huge amount in it. Berra has had a fairly ropey 2008 until the start of October since when his form has improved dramatically. Zaliukus has been consistent. He makes fundamental errors in almost every game.

For me you have two very different players of differing levels of natural ability and physicality.

Berra has the talent to play at a higher level, is much more composed, has more pace and if he develops his physique further could really go on to be a very good centre half. He needs to take control and be much more vocal (ala Pressley)

Zaliukus doesn't have the ability to the level Berra does. he tries to use his physical strength to bully and out muscle players (like against the Giraffe at ER) but anytime he comes up against a smart CF (like McDonald) he gets done over. I think Zaliukus is probably playing above his level and doesn't have the raw talent to be moulded to go any higher. This is evidenced when we make the suicidal decision to put him in midfield on occasion.

There's no need to raise the race card on either side, the differing ability of the two players kills the argument stone dead.

Group a) generally played better group B) didn't & group c) were a mixed bag of good & bad

Now can you answer my question.....which group of players have had the endings -useless, -clueless, -pishus etc added to their names, which group of players have been referred to only by squad number etc. People managed to spell Le-Clerq & Eskillson alright and didn't make up names for them or refer to Darren Beckford deliberately only by his squad number. It is the deliberate categorisation of players that i find distateful and question the motivation behind such things and also things like 'send them all back' 'send them home' etc which seems a bit odd given they don't say that to other players.

The correct answer, of course, is that a) were generally considered by most fans to be good players; B) crap players; and c) players with bad or even appalling attitudes. These are generally the only factors which bother most fans: are they any good? Are they pish? Are they giving their all for the club? And that applies to all players: domestic and foreign.

Meanwhile, the Lithuanian players you refer to didn't have their names extended or were referred to by their number because fans are racist. It's because they're pish, and only here because of the daft setup we pursued under Vlad until extremely recently (and may still be pursuing in several aspects). They're not perceived as being at the club on merit. And because they've been part of this system, and especially because the man behind it lives remotely and is rarely if ever at a game, they got it squarely in the neck.

In terms of form in the last 12 months there wasn't a huge amount in it. Berra has had a fairly ropey 2008 until the start of October since when his form has improved dramatically. Zaliukus has been consistent. He makes fundamental errors in almost every game.

For me you have two very different players of differing levels of natural ability and physicality.

Berra has the talent to play at a higher level, is much more composed, has more pace and if he develops his physique further could really go on to be a very good centre half. He needs to take control and be much more vocal (ala Pressley)

Zaliukus doesn't have the ability to the level Berra does. he tries to use his physical strength to bully and out muscle players (like against the Giraffe at ER) but anytime he comes up against a smart CF (like McDonald) he gets done over. I think Zaliukus is probably playing above his level and doesn't have the raw talent to be moulded to go any higher. This is evidenced when we make the suicidal decision to put him in midfield on occasion.

There's no need to raise the race card on either side, the differing ability of the two players kills the argument stone dead.

Berra = decent to good SPL player with the potential to go further.

Zaliukas = sometimes OK player prone to huge errors and monumental brainfarts.

The Mighty Thor

that would have saved about 5 mins of typing! :)

that would have saved about 5 mins of typing! :)

Not like me to show others the succint way, is it? :)

Guest JamboRobbo

We could delete the whole thread cause this post says all that needs to be said.

Guest JamboRobbo
The correct answer, of course, is that a) were generally considered by most fans to be good players; B) crap players; and c) players with bad or even appalling attitudes. These are generally the only factors which bother most fans: are they any good? Are they pish? Are they giving their all for the club? And that applies to all players: domestic and foreign.

Meanwhile, the Lithuanian players you refer to didn't have their names extended or were referred to by their number because fans are racist. It's because they're pish, and only here because of the daft setup we pursued under Vlad until extremely recently (and may still be pursuing in several aspects). They're not perceived as being at the club on merit. And because they've been part of this system, and especially because the man behind it lives remotely and is rarely if ever at a game, they got it squarely in the neck.

Well said Shaun.

The Mighty Thor
Not like me to show others the succint way, is it? :)

That's it! I'm leaving. I can't take the criticism! ;)

I like to justify my argument, or something like that.

Sheesh, Shaun...........I could maybe have stayed on my PAYG dial up if you'd always been as brief and succinct as that :P

One thing I would say though. Zal looks to have the physical attributes for the job, if maybe lacking just a bit pace........but he will have suffered along with the rest from poor / non-existent coaching - yet he doesnt get cut any slack ?

That's it! I'm leaving. I can't take the criticism! ;)

I like to justify my argument, or something like that.

No no, I was mocking myself! If there was a poster list based on total words imparted on JKB, I'd almost certainly be top... :eek:

Sheesh, Shaun...........I could maybe have stayed on my PAYG dial up if you'd always been as brief and succinct as that :P

One thing I would say though. Zal looks to have the physical attributes for the job, if maybe lacking just a bit pace........but he will have suffered along with the rest from poor / non-existent coaching - yet he doesnt get cut any slack ?

At this stage though, that's surely because others (notably Nade) seem to be progressing now; whereas Zal keeps making mistakes. If he turns things around under Csaba, I'm sure he'll get the credit for it.

The Mighty Thor
At this stage though, that's surely because others (notably Nade) seem to be progressing now; whereas Zal keeps making mistakes. If he turns things around under Csaba, I'm sure he'll get the credit for it.

This is the nub of the whole thing for me. Under Romanov we appear to have had a much more hit or miss recruitment policy (perhaps with the exceptions of the Burley players). We have brought in guys with hunger and limited ability or all the ability and no desire.

Nade falls into the latter category and could be a very good SPL forward, his troubles are well documented and the penny seems to have dropped with the guy that if he gets his head down and works hard he'll do well up here. He just needs someone to keep him out of Topkapi of an evening!

Zaliukus is in the former category and he might not develop much further with Hearts. His decision making is poor and that's not something that can be coached into him unfortunately. The bottom line is that he is playing above his level and probably enjoying the fact he's in the SPL playing for a club like Hearts.

This is the nub of the whole thing for me. Under Romanov we appear to have had a much more hit or miss recruitment policy (perhaps with the exceptions of the Burley players). We have brought in guys with hunger and limited ability or all the ability and no desire.

Nade falls into the latter category and could be a very good SPL forward, his troubles are well documented and the penny seems to have dropped with the guy that if he gets his head down and works hard he'll do well up here. He just needs someone to keep him out of Topkapi of an evening!

Zaliukus is in the former category and he might not develop much further with Hearts. His decision making is poor and that's not something that can be coached into him unfortunately. The bottom line is that he is playing above his level and probably enjoying the fact he's in the SPL playing for a club like Hearts.

Maybe Zal wont make the grade but whilst he's made some right howlers lately he's also been strung up worse than others for run of the mill sclaffs / miss-kicks that happen to all defenders which have resulted in the 'goal a game' tag he's now carrying

Then again - maybe he's the 20 goal a season man we've been crying out for :P

The Mighty Thor
Maybe Zal wont make the grade but whilst he's made some right howlers lately he's also been strung up worse than others for run of the mill sclaffs / miss-kicks that happen to all defenders which have resulted in the 'goal a game' tag he's now carrying

Then again - maybe he's the 20 goal a season man we've been crying out for :P

I think it's all relative. The reason he's being 'strung up' more than others is that, with few exceptions, all our games this season have been tight as feck and these errors (which do often lead to goals conceded) can cost games or points from games. The margin of error is so tight as we're not exactly free scoring. If Zaliukus makes a blunder and we lose a goal in a 5-1 win you'd hear nothing on here at all. He fluffs it and we lose 1-0 or draw 1-1 and then everyone says no.26 cost us 2 or 3 points. That's the way it is. When it's tight mistakes are magnified and fingers are pointed. Such is life.

I said it yesterday, collectively Hearts are getting away with it a bit at the moment but confidence breeds confidence, on the other hand really stupid mistakes cost games and that shatters the very fragile confidence this team currently have. The difference over a season between 3rd and 8th is consistency of performance.

If he's a 20 goal man this season he will get strung up!

Not at all BH - there are Hearts players who are criticised or slagged on this forum in a way that other players aren't or if they are then far far less frequently - do i think some Hearts fans are bigotted and prejudice? YES I know people like that and a few of them go to tynecastle - do i think opinions like theirs might / are reflected on this forum? again yes I do and i'm not afraid to say it just cos it might upset some people.

There are, in my view, undoubtedly Hearts fans who are bigoted and prejudiced. Unfortunately for you, the Robbo's Loyal has cast its block vote exactly the way you've cast yours, Charlie - a strict "no criticism of Mr Romanov" policy, and that includes selection. I hope you're glad to have them on your team.

The difference over a season between 3rd and 8th is consistency of performance.

Nearly true

Saturday's win means that Csaba's SPL record is now 1 point more (I think) than Frail from New Year last season

To that extent Frail was actually correct in saying that from New Year last season our form was "3rd in the league" form. Its just that Cervenkov had plunged us so low in the league that we couldnt recover from that handicap.

So, Csaba has really built on / continued the form the team had under Frail ;)

There are, in my view, undoubtedly Hearts fans who are bigoted and prejudiced. Unfortunately for you, the Robbo's Loyal has cast its block vote exactly the way you've cast yours, Charlie - a strict "no criticism of Mr Romanov" policy, and that includes selection. I hope you're glad to have them on your team.

The unfortunate part of that is that the prejudices posted by Charlie Brown (again, I have met the guy and do not think that he would post as such, I believe we are reading the views of another) are cold and calculated. They also oppose any notion that the regime could be mistaken.

We have a situation here where rubbish players (Ksanavicius and Zaliukas in this instance) are being outed as rubbish players, at a time when many threads call for the re-signing of Andrius Velicka. Then CB starts to throw out terms like "KKK", "xenophobe", "C18", "BNP" and "NF". All because two players are labelled as rubbish, rightly or wrongly.

If these are the views of CB (I don't believe they are) then they are appalling and show him up for what HE believes, also suggesting that I was mistaken in believing him to be a "good guy". However if they are the views of another, he really should stop posting them on this board as they only tar him with the same prejudicial brush.

Charlie-Brown

BH these are entirely my opinions, prejudice exist in society & in the workplace & at tynecastle & on jkb, it's not nice but it's true sadly. :(

BH these are entirely my opinions, prejudice exist in society & in the workplace & at tynecastle & on jkb, it's not nice but it's true sadly. :(

Well, if the above prejudices are yours then I am deeply disappointed.

In terms of form in the last 12 months there wasn't a huge amount in it. Berra has had a fairly ropey 2008 until the start of October since when his form has improved dramatically. .

I wouldn't say that. Even in darkest January, when we had been playing abysmally, Berra was our best player, and when, under Frail, we stopped the losing run, several goals came from Berra directly or indirectly, playing a captain's part going up for corners / set pieces.

Sorry we seem resigned to losing him.

Zal's better than many think but has a habit of making costly mistakes. I do think that Csaba's strategy of playing another central defender in midfield, whilst cautious, gives us good cover when Berra or Zal or both venture upfield.

The Mighty Thor
I wouldn't say that. Even in darkest January, when we had been playing abysmally, Berra was our best player, and when, under Frail, we stopped the losing run, several goals came from Berra directly or indirectly, playing a captain's part going up for corners / set pieces.

Sorry we seem resigned to losing him.

Zal's better than many think but has a habit of making costly mistakes. I do think that Csaba's strategy of playing another central defender in midfield, whilst cautious, gives us good cover when Berra or Zal or both venture upfield.

I mean that his form is ropey in comparison to what he is capable of, a lot of which we are starting to see now. Therefore for the bulk of 2008 he's been well below par. It's only my opinion of course.

The costly mistakes are costly alright and that's why Zaliukas is in the firing line so much.

He's sellable so he will be offski at some point.

I mean that his form is ropey in comparison to what he is capable of, a lot of which we are starting to see now. Therefore for the bulk of 2008 he's been well below par. It's only my opinion of course.

The costly mistakes are costly alright and that's why Zaliukas is in the firing line so much.

He's sellable so he will be offski at some point.

Yes, certainly makes a difference playing in a winning team with a decent coach.

The Mighty Thor
Yes, certainly makes a difference playing in a winning team with a decent coach.

It certainly does to a degree but i feel Berra's raised his game in the last 8 weeks or so.

If only the positive effect of a winning team and a decent coach would improve the concentration levels of Berra's partner we'd be much stronger at the back.

You are a joke Charlie, plain and simple. The suffixes you have referenced are a simple combination of a pun on the players name allied to a comment on their ability. I remember a chap many years ago who used to refer to Neil McCann as Neil McCannae, does that make the gentleman in question prejudiced against Scots?

Charlie-Brown
You are a joke Charlie, plain and simple. The suffixes you have referenced are a simple combination of a pun on the players name allied to a comment on their ability. I remember a chap many years ago who used to refer to Neil McCann as Neil McCannae, does that make the gentleman in question prejudiced against Scots?

Martin if all poorer players were criticised & abused in equal fashion it wouldn't be a problem however Goncalves was never Gonclueless despite him playing much worse than Zaliukas most of the time and the likes of Neilson, Mole, Thomson, Makela etc whilst they are criticised aren't ridiculed in the same manner as most of the slavic players. Anyway I'm not the only person who perceives some prejudice on the forum.

Nice work, I can think of one, particularly vacuous moron, who should be made to publically apologise for being a racist wee jobby; seems to have himself down as a professional judge of a player by the way he wears his strip and his place of origin.

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/485001-post9.html

Martin if all poorer players were criticised & abused in equal fashion it wouldn't be a problem however Goncalves was never Gonclueless despite him playing much worse than Zaliukas most of the time and the likes of Neilson, Mole, Thomson, Makela etc whilst they are criticised aren't ridiculed in the same manner as most of the slavic players. Anyway I'm not the only person who perceives some prejudice on the forum.

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/485001-post9.html

Gonclueless is not a pun of Goncalves though is it? Zaliclueless is a pun of Zaliukas, as both words sound the same. In any event Goncalves was widely ridiculed as 'Bambi' throughout most of his time here.

The two players who have consistently received the most abuse on here are Elliot and Neilson, 'Clum' and 'Jobbie' if you will. If you think that the criticism of some of our Lithuanian players or indeed any of our players (in the case of the vast majority of fans), is to do with anything other than the fans perception of their ability, then you truly are a pathetic individual.

How come Velicka wasn't affored a nasty nickname then Charlie? Or Rudi Skacel (who is also slavic)?

You should do the honorable thing and resign from this forum, for the contempt and accusations (by implication) you have made of your fellow supporters is absolutely deplorable.

Charlie-Brown
Gonclueless is not a pun of Goncalves though is it? Zaliclueless is a pun of Zaliukas, as both words sound the same. In any event Goncalves was widely ridiculed as 'Bambi' throughout most of his time here.

The two players who have consistently received the most abuse on here are Elliot and Neilson, 'Clum' and 'Jobbie' if you will. If you think that the criticism of some of our Lithuanian players or indeed any of our players (in the case of the vast majority of fans), is to do with anything other than the fans perception of their ability, then you truly are a pathetic individual.

How come Velicka wasn't affored a nasty nickname then Charlie? Or Rudi Skacel (who is also slavic)?

You should do the honorable thing and resign from this forum, for the contempt and accusations (by implication) you have made of your fellow supporters is absolutely deplorable.

Your havering Martin , Gonclueless is just as apt and rhyming with Goncalves as Zaliclueless is with Zaliukas but some players are afforded more respect and at least criticised by their actual real name not a stupid made up name or squad number.

No I won't be resigning from the forum, some people ARE prejudice, not all only a few, some others let themselves down by their posting style. So unless I've broken any forum rules and get banned or suspended then I'm still here....why didn't you comment on the other post that I linked? Should he resign the forum as well?

Guest JamboRobbo

Which you use to try and play down ANY criticism that non-scottish players receive. the more you say it, the deeper hole you dig yourself.

Christian Nade - stick last year, praise this year.

Did he suddenly change his race or skin colour? Of course not. He just started try hard, and playing better, so he gets praise instead of stick.

No doubt you'll ignore this example (one of many I could list) as it doesn't match your warped view that the only reason guys like Zaliklueless get stick is cause people are racist, and not becuase they are absolutely honking over and over again for HMFC on a Saturday.

If think Zaliukas is ****e. Absolutely ****e. I thought the same of Beniuselless (and said as much after one game and was called a racist for saying it). It wasn't racism though - it was cause he was ****e at football - nothing more, nothing less.

You're repeated attempts to suggest otherwise are out of order and you should apologise to the many Hearts fans being tarred with your racist brush IMO.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Which you use to try and play down ANY criticism that non-scottish players receive. the more you say it, the deeper hole you dig yourself.

Christian Nade - stick last year, praise this year.

Did he suddenly change his race or skin colour? Of course not. He just started try hard, and playing better, so he gets praise instead of stick.

No doubt you'll ignore this example (one of many I could list) as it doesn't match your warped view that the only reason guys like Zaliklueless get stick is cause people are racist, and not becuase they are absolutely honking over and over again for HMFC on a Saturday.

It was great to hear the crowd in Inverness chanting for big Nade, he simply turned and clapped the fans.

Was easy to see he was trying, and that he appreciated perhaps he, and his relationship with the fans has turned a corner with some of his recent performances.

Archived