Who is the better centre half?

Martin_T

Who is the better central defender?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Who is the better central defender?

Following some 'debate' on another thread, who of Hearts two current first choice centre halves do you rate as the better player in that position?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh dear- anyone that doesn't vote for Berra should not be allowed near Tynecastle. Ever. FACT. END OF(f)!!

Guess i should hand in my and my wifes season tickets then as we both rate Zali higher than Berra.

Berra is just not vocal enough to be captain i'm afraid. Still has a few more years to be considered a "great" centre half.

I voted Zal because nobody else would

loveofthegame
Guess i should hand in my and my wifes season tickets then as we both rate Zali higher than Berra.

Preferably. Either that or head down to specsavers in the very near future. I honestly cannot believe for a minute that anyone who watches Hearts could have your belief, it boggles my mind.:(

Oh dear- anyone that doesn't vote for Berra should not be allowed near Tynecastle. Ever. FACT. END OF(f)!!

:eek: Kickback Police.

I think Berra is better myself but people are entitled to opinions.

Zali had a run of a few games when a mistake spoiled an otherwise good performance, for me he is far more commanding in the air than Berra and has on more than one occasion mopped up a Berra mistake(its a bit of a pity Berra isnt able to do the same in return).

Having said that i thought Berra was fantastic yesterday:p

Don't think there is much between them tbh.

Both on their day are capable of top performances, both off their day are capable of making mistakes.

loveofthegame
:eek: Kickback Police.

I think Berra is better myself but people are entitled to opinions.

There's having an opinion and then there's being wrong!:eek:

Both on their day are capable of top performances, both off their day are capable of making mistakes.

But Berra has the pace to make up for the mistake. Zaliukas makes a mistake and it very often leads to a goal or a scoring chance.

Most people on are racist towards Lithuanians anyway:rolleyes:

*sigh* wondered how long it would be until the xenephobia card was wheeled out...

Given you prefer Zaliukas to Berra, does that make you racist toward Scots?:eek:

portobellojambo1
Berra is just not vocal enough to be captain i'm afraid. Still has a few more years to be considered a "great" centre half.

I think you have managed to avoid the initial question very well. You were not asked if Berra was vocal enough, or if he was a great centre half, the question posed was who is the better of two named central defenders.

I voted Berra, if I am honest the most comfortable I have been with the central defence this season was the recent game at Love Street, where Berra played alongside Jonsson. It was also very noticeable that it was also the game in which Berra has been most vocal.

*sigh* wondered how long it would be until the xenephobia card was wheeled out...

Given you prefer Zaliukas to Berra, does that make you racist toward Scots?:eek:

No i find us a bitter race in general anyway:p

I think Berra is better, albeit marginally.

Both are more than capable SPL defenders and both have different attributes. Berras pace differentiates him from most centre halfs though and would be the harder to replace.

That said I think Berra tends to get a light ride of it when he balls up, whereas Zaliuckas gets absolutley crucified for anything and not very much praise when he deserves it.

I am happy with both and think they are a pretty good centre half pairing, I dont think Berra is as good as some on here make out and I dont think Zaliuckas is anywere near as bad as people make out

Re Karipidis- not a fan of him tbh, not suited to the scottish game as a cemtre half and too limited for the right back spot.

If we had to put anyone into centre half as cover for me it would McGowan and tbh Im amazed he doesnt get at least a few sub appearences

one is vastly over-rated and the other is dreadful;) you choose:)

I wouldn't say Berra is dreadful just needs to screw the head on at times.

The pair of them.

I don't think there is as much between them as many on here state.

For me it's marginally Berra over Zaliukas as the latter has more pace.

Although I agree with H.A.N.S that Karipidis is superior to both.

I agree.

But will give Big Zal the underdog vote.

;)

There should not be a question of who is better.

Zalclueless should not be any where near the team. It is only on vlads sayso that he is.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Of course, this poll will be skewed as people perceive a vote for Berra to be a vote against Vlad's interference.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
Following some 'debate' on another thread, who of Hearts two current first choice centre halves do you rate as the better player in that position?

Bit of a Zal detractors crowd pleaser vote Martin. Zal is an excellent CB and could do with support from so-called Hearts fans rather than getting ripped for making a few mistakes. He wins virtually every header that comes his way and posted a couple of top cross-field passes to Andy Driver yesterday.

He's better than 80% of CB's in SPL. Certainly wouldn't swap him for any of the current hobo chumps.

So, last time I looked there were over thirty votes for Berra and three for Zaliukas, one of which was counted due to the above non-reason.

I predict,

Berra will win this poll by some margin.

Berra will leave Hearts within 18 months to go to a (so called) bigger club, with at least one of the Glasgow two expressing interest.

Zaliukas will remain at Hearts for the foreseeable future under Romanov.

Zaliukas will NOT be at a (so-called) bigger club and NEITHER of the Glasgow two will express interest.

Time will tell.

loveofthegame
Of course, this poll will be skewed as people perceive a vote for Berra to be a vote against Vlad's interference.

Garbage.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Garbage.

You don't think?

I think some people will be happy to see a huge win for Berra here as an up yours to Romanov.

Berra by a long way, the poll concludes that.

Not necessarily. It could be that everyone thinks Berra is marginally better.

IMHO, Berra is the best centre half but both are good enough for our current aspirations. We should have at least another year of them playing together during which they should improve as a pairing and individually.

Hopefully we can start to gain comfortable leads in a few games later on in the season to allow any up and coming centre backs to get some experience.

loveofthegame
You don't think?

I think some people will be happy to see a huge win for Berra here as an up yours to Romanov.

Not for me mate, i think people are just expressing their honest (and in this case correct) views. I could retort by saying almost all the votes for Zali are from people who (some admittedly) only voted for him as he's the ''underdog'' or to be controversial.

Not every negative view of a Lithuanian player is due to an agenda against Vlad, and people have to stop seeing it like that imo.

I cant believe anybody voted for Zaliukas. I would rather not see him in hearts top again, a complete liabilty that seems to have one major error in every single game we play.Berra is in a completely different league and is improving all the time.

I think our captain will be playing championship football next season up against his old pal Roman Bednar as Mogga seems determined to kill WBA by trying to play Brazil style when grinding out wins will make them survive.

Seems most SPL players leave and end up playing in the Championship which "may" or may not be their level. But old Christophe ain't premiership class i'm afraid

I cant believe anybody voted for Zaliukas. I would rather not see him in hearts top again, a complete liabilty that seems to have one major error in every single game we play.Berra is in a completely different league and is improving all the time.

There is a hell of alot of players in our team who make mistakes game after game but ar nowhere near chastised like old Zal/

Aftaer 5 games of the season, I would have said Zaliukas.

Right now Berra is ahead.

If Zaliukas were to cut out the bombscare moments he woudl be the better player. He isn't though (near miss yesterday) and so you can't call him the better defender.

I am most pleased at how well both have progressed (although Berra has progressed more) since Csaba took over at the club.

Thunderstruck

A poorly constructed poll that doesn't allow a "Neither".

IMHO, both have good and bad qualities and both could learn from each other or good coaching. For example:-

Zal is much better in the air that Berra, he rarely gets beaten in the air and he gets power and distance on the ball. Berra, on the other hand, struggles to get aerial superiority and his clearances tend to go up rather than long.

Berra is better at reading the game and anticipating moves than Zal although he got caught out yesterday for their goal.

Both are strong, brave and, recently, good at getting out of defence. Yesterday, Berra had a couple of good runs into forward positions and Zal put in an absolute peach of a pass from deep in his own half right to feet of, I think, Driver, turning defence into attack in on easy movement.

For the above reasons, I abstain from a pointless poll.

A poorly constructed poll that doesn't allow a "Neither".

IMHO, both have good and bad qualities and both could learn from each other or good coaching. For example:-

Zal is much better in the air that Berra, he rarely gets beaten in the air and he gets power and distance on the ball. Berra, on the other hand, struggles to get aerial superiority and his clearances tend to go up rather than long.

Berra is better at reading the game and anticipating moves than Zal although he got caught out yesterday for their goal.

Both are strong, brave and, recently, good at getting out of defence. Yesterday, Berra had a couple of good runs into forward positions and Zal put in an absolute peach of a pass from deep in his own half right to feet of, I think, Driver, turning defence into attack in on easy movement.

For the above reasons, I abstain from a pointless poll.

But you are quite happy to stick your oar in with a contribution to the thread? The point of the poll was to establish who, of those who do have a preference, favour. If you don't like the thread or the poll, feel free to ignore both. :mad:

Big Zal is a total nightmare! How many more mistakes can one man make and not lose his place in the team?!!

As for him being more commanding in the air, I'm sorry but I don't see Berra losing too many balls in the air.

I don't think he should be captain of the side but thats a different argument entirely!

Karipidis better than both?

Not much between Zal and Berra?

Zal better in the air??

FFS, love of the game is right, if you can`t see Berra is by far the best CH you should stay away and study football before coming back to Tynie.

Berra is growing, both in his position and as captain. His performances at the moment should be inspiring to his teammates.

Thunderstruck
But you are quite happy to stick your oar in with a contribution to the thread? The point of the poll was to establish who those who do have a preference, favour. If you don't like the thread or the poll, feel free to ignore both. :mad:

Perhaps you should refer to your original question and see if you can find "for those who do have a preference".

I don't like your pathetic poll and I am quite entitled to say so and to back that up with my reasoning. If you wish to become abusive, I will add that I see your poll as little more than playing to what you think is the gallery in some form of attention seeking exercise.

Perhaps you should refer to your original question and see if you can find "for those who do have a preference".

I don't like your pathetic poll and I am quite entitled to say so and to back that up with my reasoning. If you wish to become abusive, I will add that I see your poll as little more than playing to what you think is the gallery in some form of attention seeking exercise.

I was never abusive to you in my original reply, so I don't see why I would become so now.

I'll be sure to consult you in future should I choose to create another poll :), and the point of my original reply stands, if you don't like a poll/thread ignore it. Calling it 'pathetic' etc is a sign of someone who takes this forum just a wee bit too seriously....:)

Football is all about opinion, I've created a poll which gives a black or white choice, the answer may very well be a shade of grey but that is not what I'm pollling here. If you ask someone to call a coin toss, you don't include an option for the coin landing on it's side.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Number 26 is an embarrasment to Heart of Midlothian and it makes me sick watching him pull on a Hearts jersey.

Archived