Heard yesterday

Colonel Kurtz

Guest JamboRobbo

A debate about who was at fault for Falkirk's goal.

Zaliukas sold his entire defence the perfect dummy by lunging and missing at a forward pass creating a void in behind him - on Berra's opposite side, which he wasnt able to cover.

Mind you I think Balogh made it easy for Lovell

And to be honest it was just as well he scored otherwise Balogh might have been off.

Thats it in a nutshell. Can't believe there are some who can't see that is what happened.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JamboRobbo
No, I don't - and there should be a permanent glitch in the wages of the Colonel's source. You sent me the PM well after the rumour had started on The Bounce BTW.

I'll bow to your superior knowleged of what is on The Bounce.

Not gonna bother "debating" anymore as it's clear your determined not to listen. See no evil, hear no evil.

Charlie-Brown

Several players lost challenges or didnt challenge or didnt keep the ball after balogh kicked, the offside line was poor then balogh made it easier

I'll bow to your superior knowleged of what is on The Bounce.

Not gonna bother "debating" anymore as it's clear your determined not to listen. See no evil, hear no evil.

It's not a case of 'see no Evil, hear no Evil', - I actually bothered to do some digging on the latest 'glitch' rumour and that's all I found. Even my contacts in HBOS - who confirmed that last 'glitch', didn't know what I was on about!

Is there any need to be so patronising?

Guest JamboRobbo

Is there any need to be so patronising?

When you pass on information to someone in good faith, and then you find them writing stuff like the post below, I think them calling you patronising is extremely ironic. :rolleyes:

I can elaborate for you. It's the same rumour which starts on The Bounce every month at the same time. It's now soooooooo boring but yet, some people on here still lap this garbage up.

I predict that they'll start the same one again next month at the same time and the same people on here will still try to make something out of it.

You dig?

Patronising eh. Try reading some of your own posts.

I agree with the general opinion that Falkirk's goal was caused by a number of mistakes and bad judgements.

Only one goal lost in fours games though. Let's not beat ourselves up too much.

Buffalo Bill

Several players lost challenges or didnt challenge or didnt keep the ball after balogh kicked, the offside line was poor then balogh made it easier

Next you'll be saying it was partly Elvis' fault....

Personally I blame Dave McPherson. If he had actually brought over a guy that was 2 years older than McGowan, instead of some young prospect he would already be in the team as the defender in midfield and would have done a better job of sweeping up in front of Zaliukas, which would have mean poor Zali wouldnt have had to make a half-ersed schoolboy "look at me I can clear the danger nae bother" swipe at a straightforward pass, minutes before making a half-ersed schoolboy square pass along the back line straight to an opposition player....

Actually no, I blame Robbo. Had he not brought in a "faceless" Icelandic youth midfielder (who in his preferred midfield position has attracted interest from Werder Bremmen) and actually brought in a "faceless" Icelandic defender - we could have played said defender instead of Zali allowing him to take up his much more suited "Zidanne" position in midfield, and had that happened by this stage in the midfield Zali would have skinned the entire Falkirk midfield twice....

When you pass on information to someone in good faith, and then you find them writing stuff like the post below, I think them calling you patronising is extremely ironic. :rolleyes:

Patronising eh. Try reading some of your own posts.

Unless you are the type of person who laps up the stuff coming from the Hobos, it hardly applies to you, does it?

You passed on 'information' that I took the trouble to research before forming a view on. These rumours start over there and take on a whole new life over here and before you know it, some people start accepting them as facts.

HMFC are still trading as far as I am aware but lots of people had us going into Administration on the back of what was posted on Hobos.net earlier on in the season.

Zaliukas sold his entire defence the perfect dummy by lunging and missing at a forward pass this has been acknowledged creating a void in behind him - on Berra's opposite side, which he wasnt able to cover.

Not able to cover??? He was standing right behind the man when the Falkirk player received the ball, for some reason he chose to run away from him and give the Falkirk player all the time in the world to turn and play the through pass with Berra in no mans land. IMO all he needed to do was shepherd the player who would have to pass back/sideways or have to beat him with skill.

Zals lunge was at a ball doing ping pong at the time, he missed his tackle (like most did as it was getting ping ponged about at the time), Berra on the otherhand had to deal with a ball rolled to the forwards feet and he ran away instead of defending.

As i say why only go as far back as Zal*, there were other Hearts players who lost the ball in the passage of play.

Unbelieveable (well not for JKB) that folk only want to focus on Zal and totally ignore Berra's part.

*This is the norm on here as was shown last season when Zal failed to knock the ball into row z v Utd at home last season, instead he played it down the wing (not very far) Utd made 3 passes after that with the final one ending up at the forwards feet in the middle of the box who was marked by Berra, yet Berra very easily allowed the boy to turn him and get a shot away (he allowed the player to do that twice in the game)........who got ALL the blame???

I know Zal aint perfect as neither is Berra, yet some on here see no fault with Berra at any time as is witnessed by some of the comments on the match thread/ratings thread/this thread for the Falkirk game ( a game i gave motm to Berra) .

Next you'll be saying it was partly Elvis' fault....

Personally I blame Dave McPherson. If he had actually brought over a guy that was 2 years older than McGowan, instead of some young prospect he would already be in the team as the defender in midfield and would have done a better job of sweeping up in front of Zaliukas, which would have mean poor Zali wouldnt have had to make a half-ersed schoolboy "look at me I can clear the danger nae bother" swipe at a straightforward pass, minutes before making a half-ersed schoolboy square pass along the back line straight to an opposition player....

Actually no, I blame Robbo. Had he not brought in a "faceless" Icelandic youth midfielder (who in his preferred midfield position has attracted interest from Werder Bremmen) and actually brought in a "faceless" Icelandic defender - we could have played said defender instead of Zali allowing him to take up his much more suited "Zidanne" position in midfield, and had that happened by this stage in the midfield Zali would have skinned the entire Falkirk midfield twice....

Again, still no acknowledgement of Berras part in the goal. :P

Guest JamboRobbo
Not able to cover??? He was standing right behind the man when the Falkirk player received the ball, for some reason he chose to run away from him and give the Falkirk player all the time in the world to turn and play the through pass with Berra in no mans land.

That reason was Zal, once again, lunging for a ball he was never getting to, and once again, not getting there. I'm sure Berra thought "oh ****, Zal's missed the ball again, I better get over there and try and cover for him again".

Charlie-Brown

Both Berra & Zaliukas are younger full international players, neither are perfect but both are a lot better players than many give them credit for.

Aye right. Nothing I ever say starts over there. I wouldn't even know the URL.

Actually, I've just re-read the PM exchange.

You appear to be a lot more certain now than you were then that it wasn't a rumour. ;)

Miller Jambo 60
Another parallel world exists on JKB

A debate about who was at fault for Falkirk's goal.

Zaliukas sold his entire defence the perfect dummy by lunging and missing at a forward pass creating a void in behind him - on Berra's opposite side, which he wasnt able to cover.

Mind you I think Balogh made it easy for Lovell

And to be honest it was just as well he scored otherwise Balogh might have been off.

Whilst I appreciate the view of Gambo in so far as its not only Zaliukas that makes mistakes, his are most basic and leave us most exposed. And the reason everyone launches into Zali is precisely due to this - his mistakes are in the awful / goal losing category. Even after his mistake for the goal he then passed across the defence straight to a Falkirk player minutes later.

The thought of Zaliukas being the senior CB in the team without Berra scares the bejeezus out of me to be honest. He shouldnt be in the team nevermind be the player of experience a youth player looks up to....

As an aside there is a distinct, but subtle difference in being a selling club where selling players is a bi-product of their success, and the whole footballing side of the club being set up and tailored to ensuring players are sold at certain times / stages of development etc

Funny i thought it was a penalty well he was a yard outside the box when the keeper clocked him.

Sorry he was not wearing a tim strip:eek:

Guest JamboRobbo
Actually, I've just re-read the PM exchange.

You appear to be a lot more certain now than you were then that it wasn't a rumour. ;)

Indeed I am. Because it's now been corroberated from other sources. I too have re-read the exchange. You seemed to know nothing about what was going on at any point.

Yet today, you seem very sure that it was always "just a rumour from The Bounce".

Indeed I am. Because it's now been corroberated from other sources. I too have re-read the exchange. You seemed to know nothing about what was going on at any point.

Yet today, you seem very sure that it was always "just a rumour from The Bounce".

Check post 108 as to why I think that. It would appear that you have many "sources" to back up yet another conspiracy against the Hearts. So it must be true.

I would have thought that the press would have had a field day with this - why do you think that they haven't?

Guest JamboRobbo
Check post 108 as to why I think that.

Fair enough. Funny that you didn't say any of that on Friday (e.g. no confirmation that you know the previous "glitch" did happen), yet after the event, and after the problem has been fixed, your coming along saying there was never a problem.

I would have thought that the press would have had a field day with this - why do you think that they haven't?

Who knows. maybe cause it was sorted quickly, maybe they didn't find out, not my concern.

Fair enough. Funny that you didn't say any of that on Friday (e.g. no confirmation that you know the previous "glitch" did happen), yet after the event, and after the problem has been fixed, your coming along saying there was never a problem.

Nothing funny about that as we weren't actually discussing that 'glitch' on Friday. I didn't ask my HBOS contact about this one until Saturday when I bumped into him in the Diggers before the game.

Guest JamboRobbo
Nothing funny about that as we weren't actually discussing that 'glitch' on Friday.

No, we were discussing last weeks glitch. No similarity at all.

No, we were discussing last weeks glitch. No similarity at all.

Correct, one actually happened and was splashed over all the papers. :)

Guest JamboRobbo
Any chance you two could take your differences elsewhere ?

Like an empty house ?

Apologies, we'll stop forcing you to read this now. Ah, wait a minute.....

Not able to cover??? He was standing right behind the man when the Falkirk player received the ball, for some reason he chose to run away from him and give the Falkirk player all the time in the world to turn and play the through pass with Berra in no mans land. IMO all he needed to do was shepherd the player who would have to pass back/sideways or have to beat him with skill.

Zals lunge was at a ball doing ping pong at the time, he missed his tackle (like most did as it was getting ping ponged about at the time), Berra on the otherhand had to deal with a ball rolled to the forwards feet and he ran away instead of defending.

As i say why only go as far back as Zal*, there were other Hearts players who lost the ball in the passage of play.

Unbelieveable (well not for JKB) that folk only want to focus on Zal and totally ignore Berra's part.

*This is the norm on here as was shown last season when Zal failed to knock the ball into row z v Utd at home last season, instead he played it down the wing (not very far) Utd made 3 passes after that with the final one ending up at the forwards feet in the middle of the box who was marked by Berra, yet Berra very easily allowed the boy to turn him and get a shot away (he allowed the player to do that twice in the game)........who got ALL the blame???

I know Zal aint perfect as neither is Berra, yet some on here see no fault with Berra at any time as is witnessed by some of the comments on the match thread/ratings thread/this thread for the Falkirk game ( a game i gave motm to Berra) .

My view is that Berra is a fairly straight down the middle SPL centre back

This means he has limitations - mostly in so far as he isnt that good at distribution, but also, given his age, that he is the type of young centre back that would benefit from a more experienced father figure beside him.

So, no I do not view Berra as being perfect, mistake free, or anything other than he is.

As far as our centre backs go, however, he is the one best suited to the SPL

As regards the incident in question what you are essentially saying that Berra ought to have done, in order not to have any culpability in Falkirks goal at the weekend is this -

On seeing Zali move forward and challenge for the ball he ought to have moved from his left sided CB position to fill the gap Zali had created in anticipation the Zali may have missed the ball.

This could never happen in standard play Gambo because the amount of times one of the centre forwards steps forward from the back for line is about a handful of times a half. It cannot possibly be the case that everytime one centre back steps forward the other centre back leaves his post and fills in for the other CB.

This would leave both CBs in a linear formation on one side of the pitch with the other CB spot completely free and open.

I dont believe at any other football club would such debates about such an obvious dominant mistake leading to a goal would cause such differing opinion.

In every lost goal where an initial mistake has been made there may be some degree of other mistakes which arise in everyone else scrambling to try and bail out the bombscare.

There always has to be a dominant cause though and in this case Zaliukas screwed up a fairly easy clearance op, leaving a huge gap behind him - and had he not done so the rest of his defence would not have been under the pressure that they didnt / couldnt deal with.

Lets put it this way if I was managing a team that played Hearts I would target Zaliukas as the weak link, I would have players on the instruction to gamble on him making errors and buzzing around him. I would imagine that this would garner quite a bit of success.

Berra under the same pressure would likely do what he does - clear and defend first, pass and distribute later, but I would doubt if he would hand regular scoring opportunities on a plate to teams...

As regards the incident in question what you are essentially saying that Berra ought to have done, in order not to have any culpability in Falkirks goal at the weekend is this -

On seeing Zali move forward and challenge for the ball he ought to have moved from his left sided CB position to fill the gap Zali had created in anticipation the Zali may have missed the ball.

This could never happen in standard play Gambo because the amount of times one of the centre forwards steps forward from the back for line is about a handful of times a half. It cannot possibly be the case that everytime one centre back steps forward the other centre back leaves his post and fills in for the other CB.

Berra IMO should have stuck with the man he was closely marking, the man who received the ball, that way it would have been a lot harder for him to make the pass he did (he probably would have been left with the option to go sideways or backwards) and it would have allowed Wallace/Zal time to get back and cover the runner, instead when the man he was closely marking received the ball, Berra decided to run away from him thereby giving him the chance to thread the ball through.

Maybe if Karipidis had done his job instead of looking at the boy with the flick on Zal would not have had to make the tackle, maybe if Robbie had not done a needless/aimless flick Karipidis would not have been needed to challenge for a header, maybe if Jonsson had not pussy footed about after Nades flick on Robbie would not have needed to do his neeless/aimless flick, maybe if Zal had made contact in his tackle Berra would not have been needed to do what (because he done nothing apart from run away)? Just maybe though if Berra had stuck to defending the man he was marking instead of running away....................... .

I find it amazing that out of all the mistakes leading up to the goal Zal has to take all the blame and Berra not an ounce of it.

Guest JamboRobbo
I find it amazing that out of all the mistakes leading up to the goal Zal has to take all the blame and Berra not an ounce of it.

And I find it amazing that you can't see why Zal gets the blame, when it's Zal who keeps REPEATING THE SAME BASIC ERRORS.

One off mistakes can be overlooked.

Repeating the same basic mistakes over and over, is incompetence.

Berra IMO should have stuck with the man he was closely marking, the man who received the ball, that way it would have been a lot harder for him to make the pass he did (he probably would have been left with the option to go sideways or backwards) and it would have allowed Wallace/Zal time to get back and cover the runner, instead when the man he was closely marking received the ball, Berra decided to run away from him thereby giving him the chance to thread the ball through.

Maybe if Karipidis had done his job instead of looking at the boy with the flick on Zal would not have had to make the tackle, maybe if Robbie had not done a needless/aimless flick Karipidis would not have been needed to challenge for a header, maybe if Jonsson had not pussy footed about after Nades flick on Robbie would not have needed to do his neeless/aimless flick, maybe if Zal had made contact in his tackle Berra would not have been needed to do what (because he done nothing apart from run away)? Just maybe though if Berra had stuck to defending the man he was marking instead of running away....................... .

On this particular occasion I dont think Berra made a mistake.

I agree that often a couple of mistakes are made in the build up to a goal.

Whatever ifs and buts arise in differing minds and opinions the dominant cause and dominant mistake in Falkirk's goal was Zaliukas.

I've already said that I think Balogh might have done better than to make Lovell's mind up for him so easily - but he, like Berra, was put into the position of having to try and bail out school boy defending.

Everyone was on the back foot because (despite him consistantly fecking up) the players could not have expected Zaliukas to go for the ball, flap at it and miss it.

Anyway, had Vlad not sold / emptied all our good players we'd have been 2-0 up by this stage and all over Falkirk like a rash....so I blame Vlad :P

boabyarsebiscuit
And I find it amazing that you can't see why Zal gets the blame, when it's Zal who keeps REPEATING THE SAME BASIC ERRORS.

One off mistakes can be overlooked.

Repeating the same basic mistakes over and over, is incompetence.

Sorry, JR. Surely if Zaliclueless was making all these mistakes, he'd be dropped, right?

So if I have got this right when Zal makes yet another mistake Berra has to take part of the blame for not covering for him ? :4_1_72:

Or how about Zal stops making mistakes no one has to cover for him we stopy giving away cheap.

All season we have had goal costing or bad errors from Zal and some still rate this guy ? :wacko:

Berra is not perfect but he is miles ahead of Zal.

On this particular occasion I dont think Berra made a mistake.

So that was a great piece of defending by Berra......run away from your man when he has the ball. ???:eek:

So if I have got this right when Zal makes yet another mistake Berra has to take part of the blame for not covering for him ? :4_1_72:

Or how about Zal stops making mistakes no one has to cover for him we stopy giving away cheap.

All season we have had goal costing or bad errors from Zal and some still rate this guy ? :wacko:

Berra is not perfect but he is miles ahead of Zal.

Or how about Berra does his job no matter how many mistakes are made before it gets to him?

Your logic means that Zal never made a mistake because Karipidis mucked up in front of him.........wait the now Karipidis did not make a mistake because Neilson mucked up before him,......wait wait Neilson did not make a mistake because Jonsson did not get on the end of Nades flick.:eek:

So that was a great piece of defending by Berra......run away from your man when he has the ball. ???:eek:

Lovell was running clean through he tried to get back and cover. Zal had left a huge gap in the defence by going so far forward for a ball he could not get. Berra was trying to cover 2 postions and was left exposed it really is that simple.

Or how about Berra does his job no matter how many mistakes are made before it gets to him?

Your logic means that Zal never made a mistake because Karipidis mucked up in front of him.........wait the now Karipidis did not make a mistake because Neilson mucked up before him,......wait wait Neilson did not make a mistake because Jonsson did not get on the end of Nades flick.:eek:

What mistakes are you referring to ?

Lovell was running clean through he tried to get back and cover. Zal had left a huge gap in the defence by going so far forward for a ball he could not get. Berra was trying to cover 2 postions and was left exposed it really is that simple.

The man Berra was closely marking received the ball on the halfway line facing his own goal!

Now all imo Berra had to do was jockey him and make him pass it back/pass it sideways or have to beat him. There was no option of a through pass to the runner until Berra decided to run away and allow his player the freedom of Tynie to slot the pass through.

An error on Berras part which along with errors made by others led to the Falkirk goal.

Guest JamboRobbo
The man Berra was closely marking received the ball on the halfway line facing his own goal!

OMG. Were you even watching the game? I've not even watched it again on TV, but I know that when he received the ball he was well in our half and was running through towards our goal.

It was Zal's man who received it on the half way line facing his own goal, then turned and had all the time in the world to turn and play the other guy in.

Have you confused Zal and Berra again?

What mistakes are you referring to ?

Jonsson bottled a challenge from Nades flick on.

Neilson flicked an aimless ball up the park.

Karipidis stood and watched as his man flicked the ball on towrds the man Zal was marking.

Zal tried and failed to get to the ball first.

Berra run away when his man had the ball.

Balogh came out to quick(imo).

All were mistakes that led to the goal with the more guilty parties being the last 3.

The goal was not ALL down to one man.

I cannot get my head around the idea that you are totally blameless as long as someone has made an error before you and as long as we can go back as far as Zals last contribution to find that 'someone'.

Berra imo would himself admit that he was not at his best defending that goal.

Now all imo Berra had to do was jockey him and make him pass it back/pass it sideways or have to beat him. There was no option of a through pass to the runner until Berra decided to run away and allow his player the freedom of Tynie to slot the pass through.

An error on Berras part which along with errors made by others led to the Falkirk goal.

And if he done that and the boy slipped it through to Lovell you would have blamed him for not going with the runner. Out of all these mistakes you seem to find the only person out of position is Zal which leaves the rest vulnerable and we get punished.

Guest JamboRobbo

I cannot get my head around the idea that you are totally blameless as long as someone has made an error before you and as long as we can go back as far as Zals last contribution to find that 'someone'.

Certainly not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is, an occasional mistake is understandable.

Repeatedly making the same mistakes is not. Any player continually making the same mistakes should be dropped IMO.

Do you disagree?

And if he done that and the boy slipped it through to Lovell you would have blamed him for not going with the runner. Out of all these mistakes you seem to find the only person out of position is Zal which leaves the rest vulnerable and we get punished.

Wallace was there to cover and if Berra had easily held the player up Wallce would have got there, but Berras action allowed Falkirk to keep the move flowing.

I have said Zal made mistakes re the goal, but so did others including Berra.

Karipidis stood and watched as his man flicked the ball on towrds the man Zal was marking.

All were mistakes that led to the goal with the more guilty parties being the last 3.

The goal was not ALL down to one man.

Berra imo would himself admit that he was not at his best defending that goal.

You really going to count those has mistakes ?

Neilson - He had no choice the ball was going to get passed him.

Karipidis - Aimless defensive falkirk header luckily finds a falkirk player you can't blame kara for that.

Zal - out of postion and the wrong side of the defender.

Berra - left with 2 positions and players to deal with.

Balogh - Had no choice but to come out but should have stayed in his box.

Thunderstruck

You could possibly add that Wallace could have stepped up and left Lovell in an offside position when the ball was finally played forward but, by the time the move developed, he was too far behind Berra.

Wallace was there to cover and if Berra had easily held the player up Wallce would have got there, but Berras action allowed Falkirk to keep the move flowing.

I have said Zal made mistakes re the goal, but so did others including Berra.

What stopped wallace getting there then ? All ifs and buts Gambo but he was never going to make it and Berra had a decision to make. It all stems from Zal being out of position and going for a ball he was not going to get again. If Zal had stayed we would have had 3 defenders to their 2 attackers.

OMG. Were you even watching the game? I've not even watched it again on TV, but I know that when he received the ball he was well in our half and was running through towards our goal.

It was Zal's man who received it on the half way line facing his own goal, then turned and had all the time in the world to turn and play the other guy in.

28secs in on the bbc scotland thread, tell me who is marking his man (the man who receives the ball) on the halfway line?

28secs in on the bbc scotland thread, tell me who is marking his man (the man who receives the ball) on the halfway line?

Berra, clearly out of position but I have no idea why. :P

It seems like our centre backs are 1 in front of the other.

My initial reaction was why the Hearts man stood off the Falkirk player, allowing him to turn and play the through ball.

Berra should've gone through the Falkirk player as we were exposed.

That said, I think Berra has been playing very well for us in recent weeks, as has Lee Wallace, but Zaliukas is a nightmare.

The Mighty Thor

Gambo

not wanting to pile into your private spat with JR but WTF was Zaliukus doing diving in 15 yards into their half for a ball he was never going to get. He does this regularly. In fact there was a carbon copy in the Motherwell game at Tynie. He tries to stretch across the forwards body with his right leg, gets rolled and we're on the back foot immediately. Diving in is something you coach 8,9,&10 year olds not to do.

The thing about this particular goal is we had 7 men in and around their box so you'd expect the other 3 to sit tight on the 2 forwards not go lunging in and leave it a 2v2. Basically he drops Berra and Wallace right in it.

It's a fairly basic error that seems to happen all to often with Zaliukus.

Zaliukas had his man, and Berra had the other. When Zaliukas made a pigs ear of it, Berra was forced to choose between two strikers. Damned if he did and damned if he didn't.

I too agree that it is Berra's fault that Zaliukas lost his man.

I think you're due someone an apology.

You really going to count those has mistakes ?

Zal - out of postion and the wrong side of the defender. Believe it or not as a game progresses players will move out of their position, ball came towards the man he was marking, he made a move for it but lost out.......it happens. He tried something, he failed.

Berra - left with 2 positions and players to deal with Berra allowed the move to flow by making the wrong decision. He tried nothing and failed. You deal witht he man you are marking and who has the ball at the time (especially when he is facing his own goal on the halfway line) and let others worry about other players, he ran away worrying about the boy running through (never got anywhere near him btw) and left the boy with the ball all the time in the world to make his pass.

Balogh - Had no choice but to come out but should have stayed in his box.

.I agree with you re Balogh.

Archived