Players who Played for big teams but were actually not very good

Rawrrrrrrr

Charlie-Brown
I'm this close to posting a linky to Sir Norbert raising the Jules Rimet trophy at Wembley. But because I don't fancy a cyberlynching, shall abstemiously refrain. :)

You took the bait Shaun, that was what the 'winky' smiley was for. :)

As we don't have an 'engerlander' smiley you'll just have to make do with this one.... :hobofish:

(ps only joking! :))

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You took the bait Shaun, that was what the 'winky' smiley was for. :)

As we don't have an 'engerlander' smiley you'll just have to make do with this one.... :hobofish:

(ps only joking! :))

But where's the 'on the payroll' smiley for you? ;)

(only joking too, of course :))

far from it. He was dire

Astonishing. Here is a wee quote for you...

Denis is the one player I just would not sell. We have some great players at the club but if someone had to vote for pure consistency in every game of a season then Denis would be our player of the year.

he barely ever played for them and when he did he got caught out with the pace of the game

529 appearances!!!! FIVE HUNDRED AND TWENTY NINE!!!!!

Ever present in the title winning side of 92/93, he also scored five goals that year.

Ever present in the double winning side of 93/94, the only United ever present that year.

Still, feel free to make things up!!!! :rofl:

FWIW, a full back that scored 33 goals for United, many crackers.

This bit is not a dig, however, I can only guess that you are a youngster and have only seen him play for Wolves or his latter years for United.

This bit is not a dig, however, I can only guess that you are a youngster and have only seen him play for Wolves or his latter years for United.

Just checked, you were two when the 1992 season started, and I don't want to have a go at you, but I would wager that you were not sitting there watching games with Denis Irwin playing in them as a two year old. ;)

John Jensen at Arsenal. One goal in 4 years ?

He was a defensive midfielder. He wasn't bought to score goals.

He won the World Cup, though. As did Christophe Dugarry, Stephane Guiv'arch and Frank Leboeuf. So if anyone slags any of them, all they have to do is turn round and retort "I won the World Cup" - how is there any comeback to that?! It was the same with Alan Ball, really.

Winning the World cup gave him a rep he did not deserve. There have been some very ordinary players who've been in team which have won major honours. Barthez was stageringly bad, I did **** myself laughing when he managed to single-handedley get Man U knocked out of the FA cup some years ago though!

Is it possible to ban someone for worst opinion on football ever? If so, Rudi_must_stay should earn a lengthy ban.

Denis Irwin? Are you having a ****ing laugh?

I hated the man, along with every other Man U player, when I was younger but you could not deny the guy was one of the best fullbacks in the game.

Bobby Charlton has been watching football at Old Trafford since the mid fifties and rates Denis Irwin as the greatest left back in the club's history. Sorry, but for me, that says it all.

Is it possible to ban someone for worst opinion on football ever? If so, Rudi_must_stay should earn a lengthy ban.

Denis Irwin? Are you having a ****ing laugh?

I hated the man, along with every other Man U player, when I was younger but you could not deny the guy was one of the best fullbacks in the game.

Bobby Charlton has been watching football at Old Trafford since the mid fifties and rates Denis Irwin as the greatest left back in the club's history. Sorry, but for me, that says it all.

I think you have to be fair on the dude. He has only seen a 36 year old defender and thought he was past it, and he was probably right. He cannot possibly form a proper opinion on a player that was in his prime before he started nursery school. He just needs to tell off his dad or whoever it is that told him that Irwin was rubbish! :)

I CAN NOT believe someone has said Denis Irwin!

No one comes close to Ali Dia.

Southampton have never been a big club.

Liverpool have had their fair share of utter mince over the years.

Igor Biscan, Im sure he cost around ?6million!

Emile Heskey, how on earth is he in the England squad?

Peter Crouch, despite scoring some great goals he was never good enough to play for Liverpool.

Steve Harkness, some boy called Kvarme, Mark Wright, David James, Bjornabye, Leonhardsen, Rigobert Song, Titi Camera all contributed to Liverpool winning nothing for so long. Thanks Roy Evans.

Although it didnt get much better with Houllier; Bruno Cheyrou, Le Tellac, Gregory Vignal, Abel Xavier, Heggem.

Thank god for Rafa. Torres, Keane, Mascherano, Alonso etc will do for me.

Please tell me you are joking? Heskey has been outsanding for England recently. I'm absolutely delighted he's back in the squad. He is the main reason for our upturn in fortunes. He will be at a bigger club again come next season.

milan baros

Agreed. Headless chicken. That boy never EVER looks up!

John Terry.

Most overrated player in the world. No question.

Not far off it. He's also a complete tit. Rio is a million miles better than Terry.

bit harsh on him imo. He was a good premiership keeper for years

Oh aye, so Denis Irwin is a terrible player, but Neil Sullivan's alright by you?!

Jesus on a bike.

Worst Premiership player ever for me is definitely Ruud Van Nistelrooy. Not half the player Carl Cort was.

rudi must stay
Oh aye, so Denis Irwin is a terrible player, but Neil Sullivan's alright by you?!

Jesus on a bike.

Worst Premiership player ever for me is definitely Ruud Van Nistelrooy. Not half the player Carl Cort was.

yeah he was crap, barely ever scored :P

far from it. He was dire, he barely ever played for them and when he did he got caught out with the pace of the game

You're talking absolutely bollox, I'm afraid.

:)

Igor Biscan

Djimi Traore

Istvan Kozma

Paul Stewart

Mike Marsh

Igor Biscan is a great shout, he was hopeless!

Mark Gonzales at Liverpool a couple of seasons back was keek as well.

Scott Gemmill played far too many Premiership matches for my liking (Everton fan), he was rank.

Not a fan of Bendtner either, can see him fading into obscurity in the next couple of years.

rudi must stay
Igor Biscan is a great shout, he was hopeless!

Mark Gonzales at Liverpool a couple of seasons back was keek as well.

Scott Gemmill played far too many Premiership matches for my liking (Everton fan), he was rank.

Not a fan of Bendtner either, can see him fading into obscurity in the next couple of years.

a good shout. He's very overrated

Mark Gonzalez was brilliant in La Liga.

Have to agree with Scott Gemmill, he was gash. Got loads of caps too.

Notable mentions to Jamie Carragher, Gary and Phil Neville.

Completely average players who have improved through playing with better teams.

Mark Gonzalez was brilliant in La Liga.

Have to agree with Scott Gemmill, he was gash. Got loads of caps too.

Notable mentions to Jamie Carragher, Gary and Phil Neville.

Completely average players who have improved through playing with better teams.

Totally disagree there. Gary Neville, while not spectacular, is an accomplished RB and always has been. Solid in every way, gets forward well and puts in a good cross.

Mind you, when you`ve got Robbie Neilson i can understand why you think GN is average:eek::P

I want to say Danny Mills.

I never saw anything in him to suggest he was a decent player and never understood why he was involved in so many England squads.

That's why I said they have improved.

I'd be hard pushed to find a consistently good performing right back as Gary Neville, but I don't think he's always been a good player.

He started out a fairly poor/average player who having played/trained with better players has picked up loads and improved his game dramatically.

Paulo Ferriera at Chelsea is a dire player...somehow seems to get a game now and again as well.

No doubting though, Titus Bramble is the worst player in the EPL...a bombscare that would be average in sunday league football.

Frankenstein Jambo.

Tim Howard, Fabian Bartez, Titus Brambel, Damien Duff, Maluda, Phil Nevile, David Beckham, Darren Flecher, Quinton Fortune, Michael Mole ect . . .

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Tim Howard, Fabian Bartez, Titus Brambel, Damien Duff, Maluda, Phil Nevile, David Beckham, Darren Flecher, Quinton Fortune, Michael Mole ect . . .

???

Beckham has always been way overrated on the world stage but he's been a top player at every club he's been at.

Frankenstein Jambo.
???

Beckham has always been way overrated on the world stage but he's been a top player at every club he's been at.

No pace, skill, strenth, agility. A good passer and free kick taker, That is about it.

He was found out at Real Madrid

No pace, skill, strenth, agility. A good passer and free kick taker, That is about it.

I give up.

Capello came out and said Beckham was a major instigator in Real`s revival the season they recovered to win the league.

Your playing a stormer today, what with this and the Neilson thread............

Please tell me you are joking? Heskey has been outsanding for England recently. I'm absolutely delighted he's back in the squad. He is the main reason for our upturn in fortunes. He will be at a bigger club again come next season.

When was the last time Heskey scored?

As long as he doesnt come back to Liverpool I have nothing to worry about!

This thread has certainly been a good barometer for gauging how much I'm going to pay attention to some posters' opinions in future.

Wayne Bridge, David Beckham, Denis Irwin, Gary Neville, Emile Heskey and John Terry are my highlights. Chucklevision.

rudi must stay
This thread has certainly been a good barometer for gauging how much I'm going to pay attention to some posters' opinions in future.

Wayne Bridge, David Beckham, Denis Irwin, Gary Neville, Emile Heskey and John Terry are my highlights. Chucklevision.

don't forget Van Nistelrooy mate. He's played for some of the worst biggest clubs and scored regularly for them but he's crap as well apparently

don't forget Van Nistelrooy mate. He's played for some of the worst biggest clubs and scored regularly for them but he's crap as well apparently

:rofl:

Go back and read his post again. Do you honestly think he was saying that Ruud Van Nistelrooy was far inferior to Carl Cort? Or do you think he was extracting the Michael?

FacePalm_picard.jpg

rudi must stay
:rofl:

Go back and read his post again. Do you honestly think he was saying that Ruud Van Nistelrooy was far inferior to Carl Cort? Or do you think he was extracting the Michael?

i hoped he was being serious as that would have been utter ****

Who was the player that was so bad a fan offered to come on and replace him? Pretty sure it was for Everton (are they a big club?).

Giovanni (now at Hull) is another one that comes to mind, he's a decent player but nowhere near Barca's level and was not worth anything like the price they paid for him. The talk about Liverpool also reminded me of that guy Nunez who they got from Real's reserves, now there was a player who was well out of his depth!

Who was the player that was so bad a fan offered to come on and replace him? Pretty sure it was for Everton (are they a big club?).

Giovanni (now at Hull), decent player but nowhere near Barca's level and is not worth anything like the price they paid for him. The talk about Liverpool also reminded me of that guy Nunez who they got from Real's reserves, now there was a player who was well out of his depth!

Ibrahima Bakayoko.

Champ Man legend.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I stand by it. John Terry is massively overrated.

Terry may be an annoying git but he is still a good defender. (but NOT a captain)

I was about to rip 'Kenif' but then I read his post properly, Jamie Carragher is world class, FACT. The other two? Ugliest eleven ever?

Beckham, was quality, if only we could make subs when we need a free kick taker......

Nunez- contributed to Liverpool FC's glorious conquest of Europe (again).

To be fair, the thread isn't entitled "which players are overrated". John Terry is far from "not very good", he may not be the superstar the English will have you believe, but he does not belong on this thread.

I have always thought Rio Ferdinand MUST be providing other "sevices", I mean he is total ****e! Whenever Man U let one in guess who usually is at fault? I've never understood WHY he gets a game with them. Jackie Charlton years ago was another, although explained due to his super famous brother.

rudi must stay
Liam Miller at Man Utd.

Luther Blissett at AC Milan.

Miller barely ever played for Man Utd. Was a waste of a signing because he was brilliant at Celtic

I have always thought Rio Ferdinand MUST be providing other "sevices", I mean he is total ****e! Whenever Man U let one in guess who usually is at fault? I've never understood WHY he gets a game with them. Jackie Charlton years ago was another, although explained due to his super famous brother.

:hae36:

Archived