The great lie

Geoff Kilpatrick

It's not my experience either that long term diehards are falling away, although I'm prepared to accept there are some.

I also find it hard to believe that people who started going in 2006 are the ones remaining.

The level of our crowds now is suspiciously close to what we normally get, although a bit higher, to make it seem likely we are getting back to the core support.

Nail hit on the napper - as usual from this well respected poster.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And that's the key bit. You're talking about personal anecdotal evidence. For my part, I don't personally know anybody who's walked away from the club like that.

If the situation you describe was widespread then the numbers of people willing to turn out to watch a not particularly good, not particularly bad hearts side in the wake of a dreadfull previous season should now be significantly lower than they were before.

This is evidently not the case. In fact crowds are a bit on high side considering the form of the last couple of seasons.

Three explanations suggest themselves

It could be that there's some exceptional factor that makes the reactions of you and your associates different from the Hearts support in general.

It may be that for every 3 1970s era "diehards" who've thrown in the towel there are 4 new people who were attracted by 2005-06 and instantly became sufficiently attached to not be put off by the subsequent mediocre and then poor seasons or the off-pitch shenanigans..

It could be that you're talking rubbish.

I reckon it's a bit of each

Controversial suggestion. Is it possible some of these new fans have been attracted by what we might call the 'trainwreck factor'? Meaning that, regardless of on-field results, Hearts under Vlad are nothing if not entertaining!

Romanov is a multi-millionaire who owns 90 odd percent of the club. I think it's up to him to get "cash into the club". If he hadn't ruined Hearts reputation with his ramblings and antics I'm sure more people in the business community would have provided money in the form of sponsorship, etc. To a certain degree Romanov has alienated the club from large parts of that market, his fault, not the fault of any "conciencious objectors".

Excellent point.

Meaning that, regardless of on-field results, Hearts under Vlad are nothing if not entertaining!

SL that may have been the case initially but there is sod all entertaining about Hearts now on the pitch or off it. We are devoid of any leadership, completely rudderless from top to bottom.

SL that may have been the case initially but there is sod all entertaining about Hearts now on the pitch or off it. We are devoid of any leadership, completely rudderless from top to bottom.

No - I didn't just mean 05/6 with this. I meant everything that's happened since: Hearts as a soap opera, that sort of thing. I'll well aware of how dull the on-pitch fayre is now.

No - I didn't just mean 05/6 with this. I meant everything that's happened since: Hearts as a soap opera, that sort of thing. I'll well aware of how dull the on-pitch fayre is now.

Yep I realised that but I would argue that the 'soap opera' is long since defunct which in some ways has exacerbated the total apathy engulfing much of the support. Not only are we now 'led' by a half-wit we are led by a half-wit who has chucked it and couldn't give a monkey's !

Francis Albert
The level of our crowds now is suspiciously close to what we normally get, although a bit higher, to make it seem likely we are getting back to the core support.

Average gates of 7700 in 1980/81 (in the Premier League and boosted by 17,000 and 16,000 plus crowds against the OF) and 5200 in the following year suggest we have a way to go before getting down to the traditional core.

MacDonald Jardine
Controversial suggestion. Is it possible some of these new fans have been attracted by what we might call the 'trainwreck factor'? Meaning that, regardless of on-field results, Hearts under Vlad are nothing if not entertaining!

You really should get to more games.

The novelty of a trainwreck soon wears off.

You really should get to more games.

I agree. But some new fans may have been attracted by the sense of being 'at an event', that's all.

Personally, I'd never tire of a sellik or leith flair FC train wreck. ;)

MacDonald Jardine
Personally, I'd never tire of a sellik or leith flair FC train wreck. ;)

Me neither but I wouldn't buy a season ticket.:rolleyes:

Geoff Kilpatrick
A winning team would certainly be a bonus. But I would take a losing team if the club treated its employees with respect (pay them on time, don't cheat them in contract negotiations, reward good performance and remove favouritism), its fanbase with respect (no more Romanov picked 4-5-1 tripe coached by yet another rubbish puppet manager), its suppliers with respect (pay bills in a timely manner), ... you get the picture.

Maybe you would but the evidence suggests that a lot of Hearts fans wouldn't accept a losing team.

Maybe you would but the evidence suggests that a lot of Hearts fans wouldn't accept a losing team.

I wouldn't like it but i would accept a losing team as long as the players gave 100% and the team was picked on merit and for footballing reasons.

I have done the majority of my 30+ years watching Heart of Midlothian FC.

I won't accept a losing team when the team is losing is because the owner decides he knows better than footballing professionals or the owners intentions differ from just winning games.

Romanov is a multi-millionaire who owns 90 odd percent of the club

From what i can gather - a billionaire (lots more going on than you read in the press ;)

As a real youngster I rememeber Svensson (were we not the first Scottish team to become European?). I remember standing at the edge of a huge crowd watching Gemmil strike the ball from 40 yards and it getting suck in the net (4 - 0 drubbing, by the way) but, my God,what a match!

Don't remember doing much better than we are now. There's only one manager in Scotland I would say is probably as good as Csaba and he shares the same initials (this Deuchars is good :o).

The Real Maroonblood
If Romanov had nothing to do with the club and we had a mediocre team they would get my full support, 1013% (Csaba percentage). Apart from one season Hearts have been nothing but mediocre, at best, under Romanov anyway.

I've given my full support to plenty of mediocre Hearts teams in the past, that's not a problem. The club has lost it's Heart and Soul because of the lies and deciet from this regime. The way they have treated people has been disgraceful. The damage Romanov has done to our clubs reputation and standing will take years to repair.

I support Heart of Midlothian Football Club. I do not Support the Romanov regime.

Top post.

Charlie-Brown

Maybe you could also ask how Willie Bauld, Alfie Conn, Jim Cruikshank were treated with respect? and not to mention how more recently Jim Weir and Gary McSwegan were treated (or mistreated) by the club?

Glamorgan Jambo
Whilst the johhny come latelys and glory hunters cant remember or dont know about the bad times in the past.

I remember standing in the Gorgie end along with a few hundred other fans watching complete dross whilst in the 1st division.

Not only was the football rubbish and the crowds poor but you chose to stand in with the away fans.... no wonder you had such a miserable time.

PS I know that there wasn't any segregation in the first of our 4 seasons in Div 1.

PPS Romanov -- do one please

The Old Tolbooth
If Romanov had nothing to do with the club and we had a mediocre team they would get my full support, 1013% (Csaba percentage). Apart from one season Hearts have been nothing but mediocre, at best, under Romanov anyway.

I've given my full support to plenty of mediocre Hearts teams in the past, that's not a problem. The club has lost it's Heart and Soul because of the lies and deciet from this regime. The way they have treated people has been disgraceful. The damage Romanov has done to our clubs reputation and standing will take years to repair.

I support Heart of Midlothian Football Club. I do not Support the Romanov regime.

10/10 for that man!!!

I honestly couldn't have put that any better myself, nice one Siege. :)

I firmly believe that Romanov got lucky in his first season and that he doesn't have a bean of cash to take us anywhere apart from down.

10/10 for that man!!!

I honestly couldn't have put that any better myself, nice one Siege. :)

I firmly believe that Romanov got lucky in his first season and that he doesn't have a bean of cash to take us anywhere apart from down.

I really cant believe how much knicker twisting there is on this thread.

People on here talk about Vlad as if they know him an his thoughts.

We are an SPL club who sometimes do well and sometimes not.

Big deal.

Makes the good times even better.

Hearts are my team win , lose or draw.

Nothing else matters

End off

:)

The Old Tolbooth
I really cant believe how much knicker twisting there is on this thread.

People on here talk about Vlad as if they know him an his thoughts.

We are an SPL club who sometimes do well and sometimes not.

Big deal.

Makes the good times even better.

Hearts are my team win , lose or draw.

Nothing else matters

End off

:)

Some of us like to think about the mechanics of things a little bit more ;)

It hurts the brain though :wacko:

Some of us like to think about the mechanics of things a little bit more ;)

It hurts the brain though :wacko:

Your not kidding mate.

Thats why i leave it to the saddos/nerds.

Worrying /moaning makes no difference.

;)

Not only was the football rubbish and the crowds poor but you chose to stand in with the away fans.... no wonder you had such a miserable time.

PS I know that there wasn't any segregation in the first of our 4 seasons in Div 1.

PPS Romanov -- do one please

If i remember rightly at the time the away fans went in the enclosure. I could be wrong, maybe someone who is older than me that was there at the time can confirm or deny this. I was still at primary school at the time. I know it was later than our first season in div 1.

Charlie-Brown

Quite soon after the derby game with 100+ arrests and 1000+ evictions from the stadium during 1978-79 season there was a game against meadowbank thistle where a muckle great fence had been erected at the wheatfield entrance and henceforth the gorgie end was for away fans and the shed and school-end (roseburn) and main-stand was for home fans although the old firm did get some enclosure space as well before that season there had been no segregation and a free for all.

Francis Albert

How did Romanov "get lucky"? We won a trophy, only our second in 46 years. I know it is devalued because we "only beat Gretna" (deservedly) but we also beat three Premier Lague clubs to do so. (I am not sure, but all three may even have been in the top six when we beat them.) Compare with Rangers last season who beat one Premier League club (the greatest Scottish Cup bottlers), and that after a replay. Oh, and we won a CL place as well. Got lucky?

As for "not a bean of cash" ... well, more cash than the entire Hearts fans base was able to muster when it mattered.

How did Romanov "get lucky"? We won a trophy, only our second in 46 years. I know it is devalued because we "only beat Gretna" (deservedly) but we also beat three Premier Lague clubs to do so. (I am not sure, but all three may even have been in the top six when we beat them.) Compare with Rangers last season who beat one Premier League club (the greatest Scottish Cup bottlers), and that after a replay. Oh, and we won a CL place as well. Got lucky?

As for "not a bean of cash" ... well, more cash than the entire Hearts fans base was able to muster when it mattered.

:fing10:

Too many jumping on the JKB bandwagon

:(

Your not kidding mate.

Thats why i leave it to the saddos/nerds.

Worrying /moaning makes no difference.

Thankfully, there was more than a few saddos/nerds around when CPR was 'killing our club' who were willing to worry/moan.

Thankfully, some fans were prepared to think about the mechanics of things a little bit more than others.

Each to their own though.

The Old Tolbooth

I should possibly explain why I think he got lucky, before your knickers get anymore twisted :P

If you look at the way the club is now, no decent manager would come near us with a bargepole (imo), when Vlad started out no one knew what he was like, and we were very lucky to get someone like Burley in charge, but if he knew how Vlad was going to be, then he wouldn't have touched the job with a bargepole either.

If you look at some of the players we signed just before the Middlesboro game, we got some real quality in, but those players could have been anything really, and I say that because some of the player we've signed since have been murder, even although Vlad thought they were good when he signed them.

I think we were lucky getting players like Skacel, Bednar, Bruno, Janny (although turned out to be a lazy git) etc into the club, not forgetting we already had a very strong backbone to the team of Pressley, Webster, Hartely, Gordon etc. It wouldn't take much quality to turn the side we already had into something a bit special, which is what happened.

I'm positive (although someone correct me if I'm wrong) that Vlad is on record somewhere as stating that he didn't expect as much success in his first season, and as a result has become a victim of his own success.

So when I say we "got lucky" I don't mean we got lucky on the field, in the cup final, over a whole league campaign where we finished a superb 2nd. I mean we got lucky in the fact that we already had a decent team, and then we got a decent club manager in, with a decent scout to work with him (cant remember the scouts name now), who brought in some decent quality players to fit in around the backbone we already had, it could have been so much different had we not appointed these guys and things had taken a different road.

That was before Vlad decide to press the big red self destruct button, and now I feel that the apart from adding a trophy to the cabinet, the first season doesn't really count for much because he failed to build on it like promised and for some stupid reason dismantled a very good team.

Still not sure if I've explained it properly or not, but your gonna have to wait until tomorrow for another reply as I'm offski out for the day :P

Thankfully, there was more than a few saddos/nerds around when CPR was 'killing our club' who were willing to worry/moan.

Thankfully, some fans were prepared to think about the mechanics of things a little bit more than others.

Yeah but thats was a completely different scenario.

Not just because we were playing pash.

Each to their own though

Yeah but thats was a completely different scenario.

Not just because we were playing pash.

Each to their own though

Totally agree.

A few good players brought in to fill problem positions and we could have a decent challenge for 3rd and run in the cup. Then we will see the "won't come back/Madfud" brigade wanting to come back.

The problem here is we are playing crap, although generally getting by with results. This isn't something that has never happened in the past, although some people seem to expect us to win the league every season, scoring 6 in every game.

We aren't hobos and some people need to stop trying to rewrite history and face up to it that things aren't as bad as under the Pieman. Some cost-cutting is going on, which is prudent, but is it Vlad's fault that we have overpaid players like Kingston who aren't producing on the park?

Jam Tarts 1874

Rubbish! What did any group of Hearts fans do to change anything while Robinson was taking us to the brink of extinction and selling Tynecastle? Answer - NOTHING!

Jam Tarts 1874
I should possibly explain why I think he got lucky, before your knickers get anymore twisted :P

If you look at the way the club is now, no decent manager would come near us with a bargepole (imo), when Vlad started out no one knew what he was like, and we were very lucky to get someone like Burley in charge, but if he knew how Vlad was going to be, then he wouldn't have touched the job with a bargepole either.

If you look at some of the players we signed just before the Middlesboro game, we got some real quality in, but those players could have been anything really, and I say that because some of the player we've signed since have been murder, even although Vlad thought they were good when he signed them.

I think we were lucky getting players like Skacel, Bednar, Bruno, Janny (although turned out to be a lazy git) etc into the club, not forgetting we already had a very strong backbone to the team of Pressley, Webster, Hartely, Gordon etc. It wouldn't take much quality to turn the side we already had into something a bit special, which is what happened.

I'm positive (although someone correct me if I'm wrong) that Vlad is on record somewhere as stating that he didn't expect as much success in his first season, and as a result has become a victim of his own success.

So when I say we "got lucky" I don't mean we got lucky on the field, in the cup final, over a whole league campaign where we finished a superb 2nd. I mean we got lucky in the fact that we already had a decent team, and then we got a decent club manager in, with a decent scout to work with him (cant remember the scouts name now), who brought in some decent quality players to fit in around the backbone we already had, it could have been so much different had we not appointed these guys and things had taken a different road.

That was before Vlad decide to press the big red self destruct button, and now I feel that the apart from adding a trophy to the cabinet, the first season doesn't really count for much because he failed to build on it like promised and for some stupid reason dismantled a very good team.

Still not sure if I've explained it properly or not, but your gonna have to wait until tomorrow for another reply as I'm offski out for the day :P

Another one who cannot tell the difference between stating ambitions and "promises". Also, I think you will find that millions of pounds of debts and an un-sustainable wage bill were not "some stupid reason".

Rubbish! What did any group of Hearts fans do to change anything while Robinson was taking us to the brink of extinction and selling Tynecastle? Answer - NOTHING!

Exactly.

No matter how much gnashing of teeth, jumping up and down with rage and organising protest movements such as "Save our Hearts", Romanov will do whatever he wants to do with this club. Of course we're entitled to try and make our voices heard but let's not kid ourselves on, we are powerless to stop the inevitable.

What we can do is get organised to pick up the pieces after the mad one departs and get the club back up and running.

correct .. that base was just under 900

Did you actually read my post? Thought not?

Go back and read what i typed then feel free to comment further.

MacDonald Jardine
Did you actually read my post? Thought not?

Go back and read what i typed then feel free to comment further.

So they thought more closely about things.

I'm not putting SOH down but without Romanov what would they actually have achieved?

So they thought more closely about things.

I'm not putting SOH down but without Romanov what would they actually have achieved?

I don't consider any Hearts fan involved in SOH to be a saddo/nerd because they worried/moaned about CPR. For the very same reason i wouldn't label any Hearts fan a saddo/nerd because they're worrying/moaning about VR.

I was glad some fans were prepared to think about the mechanics of things a little bit more than others back then, just as i'm glad people are doing the same now.

I'm also glad that SOH's efforts are not being diminished by you, although another poster seems to have no qualms in doing so, but I'm not claiming that they would have achieved anything on their own.

There has been a view espoused in some quarters here about the club having lost its soul and other such cant since Romanov has employed his own methods on the club. A commonly held view stated by the same posters usually involves the throwaway "I wouldn't care if we played in a public park to be rid of him etc. etc."

Can someone, therefore, explain to me how this opinion squares with the criticism aimed at Csaba Laszlo? Leaving aside this "committee" thought, let's assume that Csaba was the manager but, hooray, Romanov had left the building. Are you trying to tell me that a mediocre team that had risen to 4th place (as we have done) would have the full backing of our support in these circumstances, because unless we had a new owner willing to splash his or her largesse on the side that is exactly what would happen. I don't think so.

Indeed, what annoys us so much about Romanov, deep down, is that he funded one of the best sides in Hearts history and then dismantled it, meaning that the return to mediocrity rankles with us. Therefore, if Romanov was to fund a decent side again (not saying he will and I don't think he will) I think a large number of people would rapidly revise their opinion of him, despite their previous comments and all this "killing the club" wailing would disappear.

you may be right but my problem with romanov is very simple and that is that he has been responsible for the gross mismanagement of our team. all the fans want is a manager who knows what management is all about. a manager who gets the players playing to the best of their ability. a manager who has the final say on team selection and a major say on new signings. football is a simple game and romanov just hasn't a clue when it comes to players or a manager.

The Old Tolbooth
Another one who cannot tell the difference between stating ambitions and "promises". Also, I think you will find that millions of pounds of debts and an un-sustainable wage bill were not "some stupid reason".

And how are you tonight Mr Romanov, I hope your well, but obviously not too well ;)

Francis Albert
And how are you tonight Mr Romanov, I hope your well, but obviously not too well ;)

If someone posts an opinion you disagree with he is "Mr Romanov". Is this the best you can do?

Archived