The Balogh

Drylaw Hearts

I have no issues at all JF.

My opinion of Kello came from that match v Rangers where he looked vey dodgy. I have since admitted that he had surprised me with his performences although in his last few games his kicking has looked suspect and he looked badly positioned at a couple of goals we lost.

The Balogh makes me, and lots other people, very nervous when coming for crosses and his kicking is horrific.

Opinions on the game?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hans von Luck
under levein we scored goals mate! we had a fair bit of flair aswell under levein,

Sorry jambomickey but you must have been full of the jungle juice watching HMFC under Levein.

Sorry jambomickey but you must have been full of the jungle juice watching HMFC under Levein.
I think JM has a point. For a short spell Levein did have a decent team on the park. When MDv and Valois first came Hearts were decent to watch and we got results.

Largely, Levein`s teams were solid and unspectacular but they could still produce one off top performances. And more importantly they got results.

Towards his exit we turned in two good performances v Braga, not just solid ground out performances but enjoyable ones to watch.

Carl Weathers

3 clean sheets in a row is excellent for the goalie and the defense.

He needs to improve his kicking but I remember Gordon wasn't the greatest at that either.

Francis Albert
Why not?

Number 21, Number29.

The Balogh.

Pathetic.:o

Thanks. I've asked before. None of the authors of "The Balogh" have replied.

As you say, pathetic.

Drylaw Hearts
Why "The Balogh"?

Why not?

Number 21, Number29.

The Balogh.

Pathetic.:o

Thanks. I've asked before. None of the authors of "The Balogh" have replied.

As you say, pathetic.

Actually........

When I used to take the time to listen to Csaba Laslo's interviews he seemed to refer to certain players with the word 'the' before that players name.

I first noticed this when he was talking about his Goalkeeping options he stated :

"We have Kello and The Balogh"

I found this quite funny.

He was okay yesterday.

I don't think he's a keeper who would ever inspire confidence though. One of those goalkeepers where a head in hands moment looks round the corner.

To be honest the guy hardly put a foot wrong yesterday, three clean sheets says it all for me.

Paisley Jambo
Yer having a laugh! No Hands Henry!!! God times a great healer

Not sure if the late to mid 80s was part of your era, but Henry saved Hearts and won games and points on numerous occasions. In reality far more than his blunders.

I am sure Hearts fans from that era will back me up.

He did cost us 1988 Cup semi, but who was to say we were going to win the final anyway. The close calls from that era made '98 so sweet.

So not having a laugh!

Charlie-Brown
Not sure if the late to mid 80s was part of your era, but Henry saved Hearts and won games and points on numerous occasions. In reality far more than his blunders.

I am sure Hearts fans from that era will back me up.

He did cost us 1988 Cup semi, but who was to say we were going to win the final anyway. The close calls from that era made '98 so sweet.

So not having a laugh!

Henry Smith like Jim Cruikshank before him wouldn't have played all those hundreds of games for Hearts for over a decade if he hadn't been such a terrific goalkeeper for us - his record for us is right up there and stands comparison with anyones.

winston churchill
Henry Smith like Jim Cruikshank before him wouldn't have played all those hundreds of games for Hearts for over a decade if he hadn't been such a terrific goalkeeper for us - his record for us is right up there and stands comparison with anyones.

i watched henry the cat for many a year.

i thought he was hot and cold.

world class save from tommy coyne one week.selling semis the next.

that's only my opinion mind.

Actually........

When I used to take the time to listen to Csaba Laslo's interviews he seemed to refer to certain players with the word 'the' before that players name.

I first noticed this when he was talking about his Goalkeeping options he stated :

This would be a logical consequence of his having been in a German-speaking environment for a long time. To refer to people as "the", either before their first or second names, is very common in German.

In any case, your thread title is quite poetic - sounds like an Irish racecourse, or perhaps a banshee.

But unfortunately you seem to have fallen foul of those who are just dying to find something to be offended about, particularly if they can imply - without being open about it, of course - that there is a hint of xenophobia underlying your actions.

Which is, in itself, truly, deeply pathetic.

Francis Albert
Actually........

Thanks for he explanation. I apologise and withdraw any suggestion the term was designed to be insulting.

Drylaw Hearts

After seeing the replay of yesterdays Falkirk goal it further cements my fears that we have a bombscare in The Balogh.

Francis Albert
After seeing the replay of yesterdays Falkirk goal it further cements my fears that we have a bombscare in The Balogh.

Is it just me or is "bombscare" becoming the most tedious cliche on JKB? Our current keeper has conceded one goal in four games despite playing behind a "bombscare" central defender.

Do you never get bored berating our players and management?!

i watched henry the cat for many a year.

i thought he was hot and cold.

world class save from tommy coyne one week.selling semis the next.

that's only my opinion mind.

Looking back, henry had a lot more plusses than minuses, but he had one or two really high profile clangers.

And there was a time when he kept giving away free kicks on the end of the box. Refs decided that he was carrying the ball out the box when kicking from hand.

Airdrie scored from a free-kick (Kenny Black) in Cup semi final replay.

Still, he was at the core of the teams I supported when I was growing up - and at the time, I wouldn't have swapped him for any other 'keeper.

I guess we have been spoilt, having Craig Gordon and Antii Niemi.

Is it just me or is "bombscare" becoming the most tedious cliche on JKB? Our current keeper has conceded one goal in four games despite playing behind a "bombscare" central defender.

A very fair point. Firstly, I prefer 'dodgepot'; and second, if he was truly no good, he'd have unnerved and destabilised the rest of the defence, a la Paul Robinson or Scott Carson with England. Balogh plainly hasn't, and has slotted in pretty seamlessly really.

A very fair point. Firstly, I prefer 'dodgepot'; and second, if he was truly no good, he'd have unnerved and destabilised the rest of the defence, a la Paul Robinson or Scott Carson with England. Balogh plainly hasn't, and has slotted in pretty seamlessly really.

The simple fact is that Hearts fans have been spoiled with Craig Gordon and almost seem to expect any other goalkeeper to be as good as him. If they're not, they're labelled pish, bombscares, 'dodgepots' :eek:, or whatever else.

Balogh appears to be a competent keeper, who's yet to be truly tested fully. His biggest test to date was when Derek Riordan went through one on one, and he won that battle. I haven't come out of a match yet thinking 'Balogh sold the jerseys today' nor did I with Kello. I did with Kurskis, and with Basso. Banks conceded goals where I would think 'Craig would have saved that'. But that's why we got ?9m for him!

The simple fact is that Hearts fans have been spoiled with Craig Gordon and almost seem to expect any other goalkeeper to be as good as him. If they're not, they're labelled pish, bombscares, 'dodgepots' :eek:, or whatever else.

Balogh appears to be a competent keeper, who's yet to be truly tested fully. His biggest test to date was when Derek Riordan went through one on one, and he won that battle. I haven't come out of a match yet thinking 'Balogh sold the jerseys today' nor did I with Kello. I did with Kurskis, and with Basso. Banks conceded goals where I would think 'Craig would have saved that'. But that's why we got ?9m for him!

Agreed on all counts.

blondejamtart

I'd have to agree with Peanut - from what I've seen so far, I'd put more confidence in Kello, Balogh or Jamie MacDonald than I ever would have in either Basso, or especially Kurskis.

We have been spoiled as far as keepers are concerned in recent years though, that's for sure.

Drylaw Hearts
Do you never get bored berating our players and management?!

I only 'berate' the players/management who I don't think are good enough.

That seems pretty reasonable to me.

Drylaw Hearts
You'd have criticised him for failing to come off his line had he done so.

Do you think he was right to run out his box for a ball he was clearly never going to get ?

Do you think he was right to run out his box for a ball he was clearly never going to get ?

Obviously not, as a goal was scored.

However I did shout 'Balogh MOVE!' when the ball was played originally.

When the alternative is hovering on the six yard line giving the forward running through one on one time to compose himself, set himself and pick his spot, then he was absolutely right to run out of his box, narrow the angle and try to force the striker to hit the shot early.

I would go as far as to say that Balogh was quite unlucky, in that the shot only just had the pace to get over the line without the chasing defender clearing it.

Drylaw Hearts

With the exception of St Mirren at Love Street Balogh has made at least one error of judgement in every match he played in.

Even at ER he dropped the ball !!

Versus Aberdeen he was all over the place.

I also thought he should done a lot better with the corner for Celtics 2nd goal.

At ICT he bottled out of a challenge which eventually lead to a goal-line clearance by Robbie.

And then there was yesterdays rush of blood.

Drylaw Hearts
Obviously not, as a goal was scored.

However I did shout 'Balogh MOVE!' when the ball was played originally.

So he made an error of judgement then ?

Drylaw Hearts
When the alternative is hovering on the six yard line giving the forward running through one on one time to compose himself, set himself and pick his spot, then he was absolutely right to run out of his box, narrow the angle and try to force the striker to hit the shot early.

I would go as far as to say that Balogh was quite unlucky, in that the shot only just had the pace to get over the line without the chasing defender clearing it.

If you watch the Motherwell v Hibs highlights from yesterday you will see Graeme Smith come out and narrow the angle before saving from DR with his feet.

Actually, what he should have done was wait approx 8 yards from goal wait for Lovell to take his first touch about 20-24 yards from goal, charge him and force him to rush his 2nd touch/shot. By rushing out as he did all Lovell had to do was get to the ball before him and poke it past then he had a good chance to score

Actually, what he should have done was wait approx 8 yards from goal wait for Lovell to take his first touch about 20-24 yards from goal, charge him and force him to rush his 2nd touch/shot. By rushing out as he did all Lovell had to do was get to the ball before him and poke it past then he had a good chance to score

Possibly...I play in goals (albeit at amatuer level!) and know what you mean.

I think I would have gambled on rushing out the way Balogh did. Lovell is a decent player, and I think giving him the time/opportunity to take the second touch would have led to a goal anyway - and a large number of people ****ed off that the keeper didn't come of his line early.

Damned if he did, damned if he didn't.

The blame for the goal lies with Zaliukas, who dived into a challenge 10 yards inside the Falkirk half, leaving a gaping hole in the centre of our defence for Lovell to run through.

Possibly...I play in goals (albeit at amatuer level!) and know what you mean.

I think I would have gambled on rushing out the way Balogh did. Lovell is a decent player, and I think giving him the time/opportunity to take the second touch would have led to a goal anyway - and a large number of people ****ed off that the keeper didn't come of his line early.

Damned if he did, damned if he didn't.

The blame for the goal lies with Zaliukas, who dived into a challenge 10 yards inside the Falkirk half, leaving a gaping hole in the centre of our defence for Lovell to run through.

It's always in my head that in that situation unless the keeper is 100% in no doubt that he won't get the ball he should hold back as the slightest miscalculation and we're 1 man down. If Lovell had tried to go round it was a cert red card because Balogh clattered him without going anywhere near the ball.

I agree with the Zaliukas point though, it looked even worse when I saw it on the highlights

Drylaw Hearts seems to have an issue with any goalkeeper we have have that isn't British.

Kello was apparently this seasons Kurskis, DH was wrong then. And 'the Balogh' has this thread dedicated to him. He is wrong again.

Janos Balogh is the best keeper we have on our books and that is why he is currently No1.

FACT.

maltese jambo
IMO Kello is a better option. Balogh has done ok but seems to want to punch far too often and his kicking is horrendous.

Nothing wrong with punching as long as it gets it away.

Balogh is doing well; saved our asses in the derby and has done everything asked of him since.

Keep it up big man.

Drylaw Hearts seems to have an issue with any goalkeeper we have have that isn't British.

Kello was apparently this seasons Kurskis, DH was wrong then. And 'the Balogh' has this thread dedicated to him. He is wrong again.

Janos Balogh is the best keeper we have on our books and that is why he is currently No1.

FACT.

In all honesty, I don't think there is a great deal between all 3, I can't help feeling that I feel safer with Kello or MacDonald. Saying that Balogh's recent record dictates he is No. 1 and as for the comment above frpm Drylaw Hearts for the Celtic's 2nd, I'd recommend looking at it again as he couldn't come for the initial corner and his point blank save from MacDonald was top class he wasn't helped by the defences reaction and Caldwells right arm

Does anyone believe The Drylaw hasn't a bloody clue what he's talking about or do you think he is trying to make an impression that his beliefs and personality do not permit?

C'mon. cut out the false sh*te!

No-one can be held solely to blame for that goal. This was Falkirk's tactic all game; they hit the ball over the midfield or tried to run it down their left. We have been playing a much higher line and occasionally an opportunity like that is going to be available to the opposition. If anything, Balogh was unlucky.

In all honesty, I don't think there is a great deal between all 3, I can't help feeling that I feel safer with Kello or MacDonald. Saying that Balogh's recent record dictates he is No. 1 and as for the comment above frpm Drylaw Hearts for the Celtic's 2nd, I'd recommend looking at it again as he couldn't come for the initial corner and his point blank save from MacDonald was top class he wasn't helped by the defences reaction and Caldwells right arm

Balogh at the Celtic game could not have caught the ball for the 1st, the ball landed at Mahoney's feet and it was a superb finish. As you correctly point out, he made a terrific save just before Caldwell threw the ball into the net for their 2nd:) Add to that two terrific saves at Easter Rd and the 3 recent clean sheets and there can be no doubt.

'The Balogh' deserves to be current No1.

Anyone who states otherwise, has an 'issue'.

FACT.

My problem is not with Balogh, or with Kello for that matter, but with the fact that we signed two average goalkeepers rather than give an opportunity to the decent young goalkeeper we already had.

Archived