The Balogh

Drylaw Hearts

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it wrong to want the best Goalie at the Club to play instead of that muppet we've had in recently ?

Course not, but I dont think Balogh, or Kello have done a whole lot wrong to be outsted, and the Banks issue has been done and dusted.

If Kello or Balogh show themselves to be poor, then the debate about get another keeper is fair game.

But this just seems like an excuse to drag up old issues for the sake of it, rather than because a keeper has made some total blunders.

I think part of the problem we have is no matter what keeper we play just now, he is going to be compared with Gordon, Niemi and Rousset. And the comparisons will always come out in favour of the three legends!

I don't think there's an awful lot between them. McDonald isn't fancied, for whatever reason. I think that is Casaba's call. so no complaints.

Kello is very similar to Banks IMHO, in that he looks fairly solid, doesn't look like he will make any mistakes, basically do all the basics well. But then I don't think any of them are going to win us a match or a point with a spectacular save either. I actually think Kello's kicking is honking bad too, but his distribution of from throw-outs maybe hides this.

Balogh maybe doesn't do the basics as well as Kello or Banks, might flap continental style at cross balls (so Berra, Zaliukas and Karapidis have to do more ball winning in the box), but he does have the ability to pull of something special to earn us a win or point - we saw that at Easter Road.

For that reason, I'd stick with Balogh.

Guest juvehearts

2 clean sheets in as many games,

kannae grumble at that.

he is no craig gordon tho & lets be honest, we will possiably never get someone like that ever again!

Charlie-Brown

Banks is doing a good job coaching young Ridgers who has come on a lot recently, his handling and penalty box presence is a lot better now than when he first came, looks a lot bigger and fills his goals well now too.

rudi must stay
Two words. The Kello.

not sure if he's any better. He had a good start to his career here but his confidence has taken a dip

Not convinced by Balogh, as he doesn't seem to get much spring from his jumps. He does punch crosses out quite a bit, but its the continental style, and I don't think his punching has been that bad. All gone out the box, and bar the Maloney one which needed a wonder strike, none have gone into the danger zone.

Banks didn't make mistakes, but he was average at best. Made stops that any professional keeper should make, but let in quite a few shots due to his lack of size and spring.

Kello looked very good, until his kicking ruined his confidence and he lost the plot.

Macdonald looks quite good, but again lacks the size and presence.

We don't have any one outstanding candidate, but I think Kello is the best out of a fairly mediocre bunch

He's pretty dodgy in my opinion. Never tries to catch the ball, there were three successive crosses he should have caught last night and he punched every one of them and kept the pressure on us.

Also, did you see his attempt to save Miranda's shot that went just wide at the weekend? He barley left the ground!

Minus his performance at Easter Road, I'd much prefer Kello

I was directly in line with that shot and it was clearly a miskick (or a very clever dummy which I don't think Miranda has the skill to do). He actually aimed for the other side of the goal and the ball sliced off his boot so Balogh was wrongfooted. Nobody else seems to have noticed that but from where I was it was definitely aimed for the far corner of the goal. Had it gone in I wouldn't have blamed Balogh as it fooled me as well.

I just spoke to my brother who made one of his rare visits to Tynie last night. He was absolutely fuming about Balogh and was equally scathing about Kello (he only saw him at Easter Road mind). It seems that despite getting 2 new keepers in we're no further ahead in the goalkeeping stakes than when Banks and McDonald were fighting it out. I suppose Basso and the Icelandic goalie are stilll hanging around too.

Just a pity we hadn't saved the money on both of their wages and got someone like Dougie Freedman in for the season.

Is that the Icelandic goalkeeper who gave up football months ago and returned home to Iceland as reported on the official site?

We_are_the_Hearts

The BALOGH has played 405 minutes of football and conceded 2 goals, 1 which was handball and 1 which Mackie was straight through. Far too early for the Drama Queens to be knocking him.

Kello ought to be #1 when he returns.

Kello was on the bench on Wednesday I think.

I don't think any of the goalies look significantly better than each other. Include Balogh, Kello, Banks, MacDonald and Basso in that. There is also the young keeper who was regularly in the first team squad at the end of last season.

6 goalies. Unbelievable given how poor the rest of the squad is.

Charlie-Brown

I don't think you can count Banks or Basso in that the club have already said they won't play again, Banks is a coach now not a player and Basso will leave at the first acceptable offer the club receives.

I don't think you can count Banks or Basso in that the club have already said they won't play again, Banks is a coach now not a player and Basso will leave at the first acceptable offer the club receives.

I can count them as signed available goalkeepers of a similar standard to the 2 signed in the summer when we desperately needed other players.

Some posters must live in a world of negativity.

The reality is that Hearts will be unlikely to unearth another goalkeeper as good as Craig Gordon. There are good keepers out there, as Dundee Utd has been able to find in Zaluska and Szamotulski, but neither Balogh or Kello fall into that catagory.

All you need to know is that Balogh was demoted to 2nd choice keeper at Debrecen and obviously surplus to requirements if they let him go on loan to Hearts. That is the level of his ability, to think he is any better than this is just foolish. However, as he is only 25 yrs old he may well develop.

Overall I thought that Hearts' defensive unit coped well over the last few games.

The goalkeeping situation remains a complete mystery.

Having now had adequate opportunity to assess both Kello and Balogh, and given how tight the money situation is at the club, it is incomprehensible to me that we didn't go with MacDonald for this season and save ourselves two salaries in the process.

It's not as if there would be much of a sell-on potential for either of these guys, even if we did hold their registrations and even if they were any good.

Utterly baffling.

Out of the...ahem....3 that we have I'd say Jamie McDonald looks most solid. Have never seen him feck up on kicking as both his competitors have, usually solid from cross/high balls, good shot stopper.

Shame he is considered 3rd choice

Seymour M Hersh
Out of the...ahem....3 that we have I'd say Jamie McDonald looks most solid. Have never seen him feck up on kicking as both his competitors have, usually solid from cross/high balls, good shot stopper.

But then we've not really seen him have we.

Ive also never seen him score a totally sweet over head bicycle kick.

FFS - Is this a candidate for the successor to Peebles Jambo's famous Burley thread?

The guys been in goals for 4.5 games and not made an error that cost us a goal, which includes 2 clean sheets in the last couple of games, yet people want him dropped? :buttkick:

People want Steve Banks back in goal? :banghead2: Nearly everything hit on target went past him - he was too small to cover the angles. Banks was not good enough for us although he was an honest pro. Move on - we have to make do with the current pick.

As for goalkicking - is Ballogh's kicking worse than Kello's? Kello was a bombscare at the piggery in the first half, and gave Hibs 2 or 3 scoring opportunities from unforced kicking errors including the one where Ratboy had a claim for a penalty from Eggert's desperate challenge.

Before the Piggery, Kello's kicking was all over the place in the previous few games.

Give the guy a chance - he's done ok so far in my opinion and the jury is still out.

crap punch stright to maloney against sellik - slow to get up after crap punch

beaten at near post by mackie againstcod-heids

come back Kello!``

I always thought that as long as the defence had the confidence with a keeper that this would show in the performances. Seem to remember it with roddie Mackenzie when the defence didnt have the confidence to pass back to him and would rather try and play the ball out which meant taking defensive risks and we lost goals through it.

Is this the case with Balough or Kello?

Guest jambomickey
are they fit to replace gordon? of course not. there was never any will or necessity to replace gordon, if there had been then they would have had to pay a great deal of money for a replacement.

hearts were extremely fortunate to bring through an exceptional talent like gordon, and vlad did very well to maximise his value. these kind of players don't fall into the laps of the likes of hearts every year.

the point being the players we have sold have been replaced with dross! we've sold quality and replaced it with crap

the point being the players we have sold have been replaced with dross! we've sold quality and replaced it with crap

You're quite perceptive Mickey but seem to have overlooked that we have ALWAYS done that.

Think Dave Mackay, Alex Young, Colin Cameron, Antti Niemi (and many more) were either not replaced directly or replaced by inferior players. That is the nature of things for a selling club. Big money clubs come in for your best players and if you replace like with like in terms of value and ability then what's the point of selling. You sell to make money and stay alive with the hope you can pick up a bargain or that a young player will be able to step in asap.

Guest JamboRobbo
You're quite perceptive Mickey but seem to have overlooked that we have ALWAYS done that.

Think Dave Mackay, Alex Young, Colin Cameron, Antti Niemi (and many more) were either not replaced directly or replaced by inferior players. That is the nature of things for a selling club. Big money clubs come in for your best players and if you replace like with like in terms of value and ability then what's the point of selling. You sell to make money and stay alive with the hope you can pick up a bargain or that a young player will be able to step in asap.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that.

But one of the first things our owner told us when he arrived, was that HMFC are no longer a selling club.

banks isn't coming back, have closure.

also not coming back:

burley

gordon

pressley

hartley

brellier

skacel

bednar

the beatles

elvis

lord lucan

shergar

cremola foam (sorry i just really liked cremola foam)

balogh is what we now have, him and kello. both look a damn sight better than kurskis or basso.

and rest.

There is hope for you my friend.

http://www.creamolafoam.co.uk/

But then we've not really seen him have we.

No.

So - he never deserves a chance?

Why he is he the only one out of the 3 alleged competitors that hasnt had a chance?

I wouldn't disagree with any of that.

But one of the first things our owner told us when he arrived, was that HMFC are no longer a selling club.

Yes but in the land of business nothing is static. Even the more perceptive operators have to react to what is going on in the big wide world and targets and intentions often have to be modified or even scrapped. I also think that when VR said what you say he said, he was the majority shareholder before selling his shares to UKIO/UBIG.

Guest Dipped Flake
Yes but in the land of business nothing is static. Even the more perceptive operators have to react to what is going on in the big wide world and targets and intentions often have to be modified or even scrapped. I also think that when VR said what you say he said, he was the majority shareholder before selling his shares to UKIO/UBIG.

afraid some people will never get away from some of Vlads more outrageous comments when he first took over. These are the ones that will still slag Vlad off because we haven't won the chamions league by now. In fact they will slag Vlad off on every thread, no matter how off-topic it is. Back on topic, until Ballogh makes a major mistake then he should stay in. I agree with those that state that Macdonald never made a mistake but Csaba obviously sees him as one for the future. As for those calling for Banks, he is no longer a player for Hearts, whether right or wrong, so get over it.

Guest JamboRobbo

He personally was only majority shareholder for an hour or two. He bought the sharesto take him to a majority in his name, then transferred them to UBIG the very same day.

Guest JamboRobbo
afraid some people will never get away from some of Vlads more outrageous comments when he first took over. These are the ones that will still slag Vlad off because we haven't won the chamions league by now. In fact they will slag Vlad off on every thread, no matter how off-topic it is. Back on topic, until Ballogh makes a major mistake then he should stay in. I agree with those that state that Macdonald never made a mistake but Csaba obviously sees him as one for the future. As for those calling for Banks, he is no longer a player for Hearts, whether right or wrong, so get over it.

:hobofish:

Snake Plissken

Could it be said he's a little like Tepi Moilanen?

i.e Capable of spectacular saves that will win us points but has an air of "accident waiting to happen" about him...

That said he's only been beaten twice in 4 and a half games and his save from Riordan saved us a point in the derby.

To say Banks should be back in the team is ridiculous - the guy was beaten by every second shot! I had no confidence in Banks, I a least have some confidence in Kello and Balogh - in the sense they might actually save a shot.

He personally was only majority shareholder for an hour or two. He bought the sharesto take him to a majority in his name, then transferred them to UBIG the very same day.

I'll take your word for it even if I'm not so sure.

I cannot however believe you would be so gullible as listen to utterances like that from someone who did not have the full authority to make it happen. I rather think he was talking about targets rather than making promises - you could hardly make a promise or guarantee about winning the league unless you had some control over the competing teams. Try to think about it as a wish or a hope that has not worked out and that way your blood pressure will come down a bit.

Anyway getting back to Balogh, he has had 2 consecutive clean sheets and thus deserves to stay in meantime. What I cannot understand is that if Vlad is picking the team how does Csaba get away with playing Balogh ahead of a Kaunus player?

winston churchill

come back Kello!``

really

he punched it further than you could kick it.

the blame should go to cheznae ,who was standing holding maloneys coat instead of closing him down.

as for DH.

6037-1.jpg

scott herbertson
You can still get cremola foam!!!

Well, how about Smith's Savoury Vinegar crisps, or Vesta vegetable curries?

Oh, and bring back Cruikie!!

Drylaw Hearts

I'm having a rare old chuckle at the stick I'm getting from a few on here yet there are several who agree with me that The Balogh doesn't look up to much.

:)

rudi must stay
I'm having a rare old chuckle at the stick I'm getting from a few on here yet there a re several who agree with me that The Balogh doesn't look up to much.

:)

i don't think he's that bad or that good tbh he's had nothing to do

Charlie-Brown

It is way too soon for us Hearts fans to make any definite decisions about Kello or Balogh as we've only seen them in a few games each and they've both shown some good & bad qualities - both look as if they have the potential to be reasonably okay or decent keepers but like most new players and especially goalies could do with a decent run in the team and build up an understanding with the defence.

Charlie-Brown
we've had rousset, niemi and craig gordon now we've got balogh! the drop in quality is frightning

We also in the same time had McKenzie & Moilenan jambomickey it wasn't a seamless transition between those 3 keepers.

come back Kello!``

Crap punch? A punch to near the centre circle is quite a distance.

Slow to get up? How many times have you seen someone hit a ball first time and as sweetly as Maloney did that day?

Sometimes you've got to hold your hands up and say the boy took his goal well. As Tizwas says, where was Chesney when he was supposed to be marking Maloney? IIRC the free kick for the goal was the result of stupidity from someone like Stewart.

come back Kello! Do you recall his bombscare performance in the first half at the piggery? We could have been 3-0 down at half time with the chances he gave the Hobos due to bad kicking. I already said that his kicking was abysmal in the previous 3 games.

Archived