The Balogh

Drylaw Hearts

Drylaw Hearts
i don't think he's that bad or that good tbh he's had nothing to do

He doesn't deal with crosses or pass backs well enough for my liking.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Craig Gordon wasn't particularly good at either as well! :cool:

Guest jambomickey
We also in the same time had McKenzie & Moilenan jambomickey it wasn't a seamless transition between those 3 keepers.

mainly as back up!

Drylaw Hearts
Craig Gordon wasn't particularly good at either as well! :cool:

Do you really want to use Craig Gordon as a comparison to our current Goalkeepers ?

we've had rousset, niemi and craig gordon now we've got balogh! the drop in quality is frightning

When Niemi left we had Tepi and an untried young reserve called Gordon. Tepi had a few good games but then started to leak. Enter Craig Gordon and do you remember Falkirk as well as one or two other games but fortunately Levein persisted long enough to let him find his feet and we will finish up with ?9m. Should we not give Balogh the chance to find his feet so long as he is not culpably shipping goals?

rudi must stay

end of the day though it's about shot stopping and he hasn't conceded a goal in 2 games which is pretty gd

Glamorgan Jambo
Is that the Icelandic goalkeeper who gave up football months ago and returned home to Iceland as reported on the official site?

Excuse me for not reading the official site and missing the end of Haraldur Bjornsson's Hearts career but it's hardly the most rivetting read in the world and it didn't exactly make Sky Sports News.

My point was we've got goalies coming out our ears, all of whom have quite distinct weaknesses, and rather than adding to the workload of our goalkeeping coach (with the addition of Kello amd Ballogh) we would have been better sticking with what we had and getting a proven, capable and not so expensive striker in for this season.

Okay dokay?

flaps at crosses mate.

Neither did Gordon, who didn't command his box enough at times. Remember when Webster got sent off for Scotland because Gordon missed the ball?

Gordon also had a tendency to kick the ball straight out at the half way line.

Guest jambomickey
When Niemi left we had Tepi and an untried young reserve called Gordon. Tepi had a few good games but then started to leak. Enter Craig Gordon and do you remember Falkirk as well as one or two other games but fortunately Levein persisted long enough to let him find his feet and we will finish up with ?9m. Should we not give Balogh the chance to find his feet so long as he is not culpably shipping goals?

talking about chances! why didn't jamie mac donald get a fair chance?

Drylaw Hearts
flaps at crosses mate.

He dropped a very simple ball at ER then made a few errors v Aberden (but he was given the benefit of the doubt due to the bad weather that day) then on Wednesday his attempts at dealing with cross balls was frightning.

Guest jambomickey
Neither did Gordon, who didn't command his box enough at times. Remember when Webster got sent off for Scotland because Gordon missed the ball?

Gordon also had a tendency to kick the ball straight out at the half way line.

surely you're not trying to say balogh or kello are in the same class as craig gordon?

Do you really want to use Craig Gordon as a comparison to our current Goalkeepers ?

If you want to criticise handling of crosses and kicking, then my comparison is valid. The weaknesses you are using were present in our ?9m keeper too, which is my point, yet you want an untested keeper out for the same reasons?

Gordon is clearly the best shot-stopper, with Balough relatively untested.

Drylaw Hearts
end of the day though it's about shot stopping and he hasn't conceded a goal in 2 games which is pretty gd

It isn't just about shot stpping though !!

If he can't catch a ball the defence will always be under pressure.

If he can't kick a ball the defence will always be under pressure.

we've had rousset, niemi and craig gordon now we've got balogh! the drop in quality is frightning

Can't we have the Balrog from Lord of the Rings please..........then every Spl striker would crap thier pans as soon as they got over the half way line.....!

:evil::teu49::vangry::devil-smiley-029::bat:

Guest jambomickey
He dropped a very simple ball at ER then made a few errors v Aberden (but he was given the benefit of the doubt due to the bad weather that day) then on Wednesday his attempts at dealing with cross balls was frightning.

after the celtic game i said on here he was to blame for maloneys goal mate, there was no need to come off his line but when he did he needed to punch further up the park or punch either side not 6 feet infront of him. he can't catch the ball under pressure

Guest jambomickey
Can't we have the Balrog from Lord of the Rings please..........then every Spl striker would crap thier pans as soon as they got over the half way line.....!

:evil::teu49::vangry::devil-smiley-029::bat:

nice childish pictures

rudi must stay
It isn't just about shot stpping though !!

If he can't catch a ball the defence will always be under pressure.

If he can't kick a ball the defence will always be under pressure.

if he is a decent shot stopper though the opponent won't get the ball in the net

surely you're not trying to say balogh or kello are in the same class as craig gordon?

No, but would he have gone on to be a ?9m player if people had shouted for his head after he shipped 4 against Falkirk in the Scottish Cup?

Balogh's shipped 3 in 4.5 games and had two clean sheets in the past two, yet people are calling for him to be dropped? :eek:

Drylaw Hearts
if he is a decent shot stopper though the opponent won't get the ball in the net

He has not been really tested imo.

And when he does face a tough test - I fear the worst.

Guest jambomickey
No, but would he have gone on to be a ?9m player if people had shouted for his head after he shipped 4 against Falkirk in the Scottish Cup?

Balogh's shipped 3 in 4.5 games and had two clean sheets in the past two, yet people are calling for him to be dropped? :eek:

against st mirren and hamilton wow! our defensive formation with one upfront against the mighty st mirren and hamilton isn't going to give the goalkeeper much to do but what he has had to do doesn't inspire confidence

Guest jambomickey
Jambomickey are hamilton and st mirren any worse than (first division at the time) falkirk?

no there not but i seem to remember back then we played more attacking football, right now we play defensive football

against st mirren and hamilton wow! our defensive formation with one upfront against the mighty st mirren and hamilton isn't going to give the goalkeeper much to do but what he has had to do doesn't inspire confidence

I asked, should we not give him a chance to find his feet as we did with Gordon?

Csaba seems to have confidence in him, enough to play him ahead of Kello who one would think would be Vlad's choice - and yet if Kello was picked ahead of Balogh you'd be on here moaning that Vlad is picking the team. And if that didn't happen you be on here moaning about something else.

winston churchill
I must have dreamt Tepi as No1 for half a season and McKenzie as No.1 for a season IIRC.

the fat east lothian junkie done him down the slope at the sangiro.

that said.

he was hooked the following game for a young goalkeeper called craig gordon.

Guest jambomickey
I asked, should we not give him a chance to find his feet as we did with Gordon?

Csaba seems to have confidence in him, enough to play him ahead of Kello who one would think would be Vlad's choice - and yet if Kello was picked ahead of Balogh you'd be on here moaning that Vlad is picking the team. And if that didn't happen you be on here moaning about something else.

why didn't jamie mac donald get a chance?

winston churchill

would that be the same st.midden ,that boabied rangers a few weeks ago.

no there not but i seem to remember back then we played more attacking football, right now we play defensive football

Are you sure? I remember us regularly playing with Kevin McKenna as a lone striker!

I was a fan of Levein but a lot of people thought he was too negative (mind you most of these people are boycotting until Romanov goes). Levein had a very limited team with an International calibre defence.

At the moment we don't have that international calibre defence, but have some slightly better outfield players in certain positions.

Guest jambomickey
would that be the same st.midden ,that boabied rangers a few weeks ago.

YES! every team has a freak result throughout the season.

rudi must stay
the fat east lothian junkie done him down the slope at the sangiro.

that said.

he was hooked the following game for a young goalkeeper called craig gordon.

it was the game against Celtic where we lost 5-0 that was his last game eh, which was probably abit unfair because he wasn't at fault for any of the goals. Like you say though it was a good thing because Gordon was far better than him

Guest jambomickey
Are you sure? I remember us regularly playing with Kevin McKenna as a lone striker!

I was a fan of Levein but a lot of people thought he was too negative (mind you most of these people are boycotting until Romanov goes). Levein had a very limited team with an International calibre defence.

At the moment we don't have that international calibre defence, but have some slightly better outfield players in certain positions.

under levein we scored goals mate! we had a fair bit of flair aswell under levein,

winston churchill
it was the game against Celtic where we lost 5-0 that was his last game eh, which was probably abit unfair because he wasn't at fault for any of the goals. Like you say though it was a good thing because Gordon was far better than him

i think/thought it was after he had a mare down in lochend:mw_confused:.

levein hooked him for the next game.

under levein we scored goals mate! we had a fair bit of flair aswell under levein,

I appreciated Levein's team for the limitations imposed on it by the Pieman, selling our best players every season.

However, we were hardly blessed with outstanding strikers in his time. DeVries was good but scored less on average than Velicka. The best bit of the team was the defence and keeper.

However, we didn't get a decent all-round team until the season he left, and then he dismantled it by taking DeVries and Maybury to Leicester. The remainder of that season just got worse and worse (definitely a worse team than now).

rudi must stay
i think/thought it was after he had a mare down in lochend:mw_confused:.

levein hooked him for the next game.

thought he played a few games after that could be wrong though

why didn't jamie mac donald get a chance?

I take it from your evasive reply that you concede he should be given a chance similar to CG.

Re McDonald, ask Csaba.

Having been a goalie - and once asked by a German physical education instructor if I played for Hearts or Hibs - best compliment I ever had at 18 (32 years ago!). Having played a stormer for German students against my friends team (almost got the biggest kicking of my life but the German girls were pretty:p). In my opinion, Kello is a very good keeper. He is strong, good shot stopper and excellent in going for high balls (some strange kicking sometimes, though:rolleyes:). Balogh. I think he is an excellent shot stopper and his only weakness is going for high balls (never one of my strengths :sad:). Hopefully his instructor is helping him on this.

Have to say, I think MacDonald will be a good goalkeeper but is behind both. It's a difficult position to play, from experience. It was wierd, I can remember losing my confidence in diving for the ball. Strange, considering I could throw myself off scary heights to win "Best Man Falls" - what a game! Probably landed on my head too often :banghead:

Paisley Jambo

He's certainly not up to the class of a Gordon or a Niemi and going back in time not as good as Henry or Rousset.

He is not as poor as I first thought and I am now willing to give him a chance.

That blunderer Kello is the one that just wont do.

winston churchill
3 clean sheets on the bounce

Seems to me 'the Balogh' is doing just fine.

see my post on the official thread.

DH will be sitting sooking his soor plooms on the bus down the road.

The Jambo Janny

He had a decent game today but lets see how he does against the weegie lot before judging him

FFS - Is this a candidate for the successor to Peebles Jambo's famous Burley thread?

The guys been in goals for 4.5 games and not made an error that cost us a goal, which includes 2 clean sheets in the last couple of games, yet people want him dropped? :buttkick:

People want Steve Banks back in goal? :banghead2: Nearly everything hit on target went past him - he was too small to cover the angles. Banks was not good enough for us although he was an honest pro. Move on - we have to make do with the current pick.

As for goalkicking - is Ballogh's kicking worse than Kello's? Kello was a bombscare at the piggery in the first half, and gave Hibs 2 or 3 scoring opportunities from unforced kicking errors including the one where Ratboy had a claim for a penalty from Eggert's desperate challenge.

Before the Piggery, Kello's kicking was all over the place in the previous few games.

Give the guy a chance - he's done ok so far in my opinion and the jury is still out.

Agree, again totally gobsmacked at some of the comments. He`s no Craig Gordon but i wouldn`t say he`s done much wrong. Yes, i`d prefer him to clutch the ball at crosses more but he`s not short with his punches either. A bit unlucky at Celtics opener but i`d have preferred him to catch it.

He had a little slip v Aberdeen but otheriwse he`s dealt with many dangerous balls in slippy conditions and looks confident enough.

His kicking is fine too. He can get it right down the park and looks more confident than Kello taking pass backs.

Thank goodness Scott Carson isn't our keeper or JKB would be on meltdown and the rash would be back in all its putrescent glory!!!

rudi must stay
He had a decent game today but lets see how he does against the weegie lot before judging him

i think we've seen enough of him now to say he is a good keeper. Not better than Niemi or Gordon but probably more solid in goals than Banks

Drylaw Hearts

Just back......

Once again The Balogh kept a clean sheet but once again his kicking was awful and he looked very hesitant when a cross ball came into the box.

I saw nothing today that changed my opinion of The Balogh.

Just back......

Once again The Balogh kept a clean sheet but once again his kicking was awful and he looked very hesitant when a cross ball came into the box.

I saw nothing today that changed my opinion of The Balogh.

So we now have Kello, whom you described before he had played a game as 'this years Kurskis' and 'The Balogh' who despite keeping a clean sheet in the previous 3 games is simply not up to it.

I think you have issues DH.

Sorry.

Drylaw Hearts
So we now have Kello, whom you described before he had played a game as 'this years Kurskis' and 'The Balogh' who despite keeping a clean sheet in the previous 3 games is simply not up to it.

I think you have issues DH.

Sorry.

I have no issues at all JF.

My opinion of Kello came from that match v Rangers where he looked vey dodgy. I have since admitted that he had surprised me with his performences although in his last few games his kicking has looked suspect and he looked badly positioned at a couple of goals we lost.

The Balogh makes me, and lots other people, very nervous when coming for crosses and his kicking is horrific.

Archived