Csaba has a point

Jambosimmy

League positions has improved even if the football & players haven't changed much, are other teams worse if we've not got noticably better?

Think we are a lot more organised than last term at the back and (for the most in midfield)

Going forward we are very up and down though. Looking good one week, looking like strangers the next.

Was not expecting miracles, but expect a bit more than was on offer last night.

Tell you what, if Nade is out for any length of time - we are Donald Ducked.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No he does not. He is havering.

Each of our victories this season has been by a single goal in games which could have gone either way. The two draws could just as easily have resulted in defeats as victories. Only in three out of our five defeats has there been anything clear-cut about the margin of victory.

I can see that you're a "my glass is half empty" person whereas....! :P

I have to say that I am quite happy with our league position, bearing in mind the squad that we have. This seasons squad is more or less the same as last and yet results have improved. This points towards a higher quality of management. Okay it is clear we need better players but i feel we are overanalysing a simple situation. Put simply, we are making do with what we've got just now and doing a half-decent job of doing that. Lets be a bit more pragmatic about things. You cant polish a turd but you can take the whiff away by using an air freshener or something...

Right now I think Hearts are playing sticking plaster football. As a team we are very poor and some of the individuals are shocking.

I know football is all about results but for me as a paying customer it alsohas to be about enjoyment. I can't enjoy watching the crud currently being served up. When you see the difference in what Levein is achieving with a considerably smaller budget, smaller fan base etc etc, it makes me wish that Romanov had had the balls to appoint a proper manager. One who knows the Scottish game and had the authority to run the team and coaching set up in a professional and autonomous manner.

I'm not sure that Levein could do better with our current squad.....VR needs to empty a few first of all :)

what about the last game of the season when we were beaten by Gretna, thought they were the bottom team at the time.

Yep - we'd completely given up the ghost by then (and were down to 10 men as well I think)

Our motivation levels are better than they were for the last 3 games of last season, I'll give you that.

Stressing that winning is all that matters in football, the Hearts boss added: "We appreciate the supporters, we need them and I have always had a good connection with them.

"I don't have a problem with them. They maybe wanted to see us beat the team at the bottom of the table by five or six goals but that doesn't happen very often in professional football.

But we should not be struggling at home against a team like Hamilton.

"I am happy we won. And I ask, do you like to be beautiful or do you like to be successful?

I would not mind both to be honest.

"Me? I want to be successful. You get no prizes for being beautiful. That is my motto in life. If you are successful you can take everything you want. The most important thing is to win."

Yes indeed the most important thing is to win but I disagree with the statement "You get no prizes for being beautiful"

I really think that if you play beautiful football as he puts can and will bring success. I think both go hand in hand.

If he really thinks that a performance like last night would win many games against the majority of the teams in the SPL then he is indeed in the wrong job.

Hamilton beat Dundee United this season??? ;)

jambos are go!

I hope none of the moaners on this are those who would post over the last few seasons that we would not have dropped home points under Levein because he would have shut the game down after we were in front. aye and we scored nearly all our goals under Burley in the first half at the school end then closed it down.

wow, I just cant believe that everyone is acting like we lost badly last night. We won, it was not pretty but all that matters is the three points. At the end of the season you dont look back saying "well we finished 9th but at least we played well." Thats hibs mentality.

I also dont think Csaba tells the press what he really thinks of his teams performance, managers only do that when they are really annoyed at their team. I am pretty sure he will go through the video with his players and point out how badly they have done at times and how they can improve. He shows his frustration on the pitch when each thing goes wrong, he is professional in interviews not to say too much against players but when behind closed doors he will tell them.

There is very little he can do with his team at the moment, there are good youngsters but Csaba has a plan on how to bring them in and I feel he wont be rushed into that by a panic. I will only be worried if we only sign one player we need in January.

get of this site....you're writing far too much sense :)

The vast majority of games in the SPL this season excluding the Old Firm (indeed almost all of them) are being settled by a single goal margin either way - it is not only Hearts games it applies across the whole SPL from 3rd-12th - the league below the Old Firm has never been as tight - we have won games we could have lost and vice versa and also drawn games we could have won or lost and every other team can legitimately claim the same - the league table doesn't lie we were told only last week - goals are goals and points are points.

There have been 53 games not involving the Old Firm.

10 have been drawn

33 have had a margin of a single goal

8 have had a margin of a two goals

2 have had a margin of a three goals

Inverness   2-0 against Aberdeen(A) 09 Aug
Hamilton    3-1 against Dundee_Utd.(H) 11 Aug
Kilmarnock  2-0 against Dundee_Utd.(A) 30 Aug
Dundee_Utd. 3-0 against Hearts(H) 27 Sep
Falkirk     4-1 against Hamilton(H) 27 Sep
Inverness   3-1 against Kilmarnock(H) 27 Sep
Dundee_Utd. 2-0 against St._Mirren(H) 25 Oct
Motherwell  2-0 against Hamilton(H) 01 Nov
Aberdeen    2-0 against St._Mirren(H) 11 Nov
Dundee_Utd. 2-0 against Hibernian(H) 12 Nov

The numbers of wins and losses by more than one goal per team

are shown below

Pos	Team        	W  	L  
3  	Dundee_Utd. 	3*  	2  
4  	Hearts      	0  	1*  
5  	Aberdeen    	1  	1  
6  	Motherwell  	1  	0  
7  	Kilmarnock  	1  	1  
8  	Hibernian   	0  	1  
9  	Inverness   	2  	0  
10 	Falkirk     	1*  	0  
11 	St._Mirren  	0  	2  
12 	Hamilton    	1  	2* 
*Including a 3 goal margin 

Dundee United's form is the strangest so far.

They were winless for their first five and are now undefeated in 8

LDDLLWWWWDDWW

I hope none of the moaners on this are those who would post over the last few seasons that we would not have dropped home points under Levein because he would have shut the game down after we were in front. aye and we scored nearly all our goals under Burley in the first half at the school end then closed it down.

Do you think we "shut the game down" last night? To me that implies some degree of control which was sorely lacking. From where I was sitting it looked like 35 minutes of desperation against a (fortunately) very poor relegation candidate.

What I find strange is that the Committee managed to get the team to score 4 goals in 4 consecutive matches at home last season.

Rangers 4-2

Dunfermline 4-1

Falkirk 4-2

Aberdeen 4-1

Admittedly we played 2 up front though, in 3 of those....

MackaysCentreSpot

Two words describes Hearts preformance in the majority of the second half......and they two words are.........Panic Stations.

Randle P McMurphy
wow, I just cant believe that everyone is acting like we lost badly last night. We won, it was not pretty but all that matters is the three points. At the end of the season you dont look back saying "well we finished 9th but at least we played well." Thats hibs mentality.

I also dont think Csaba tells the press what he really thinks of his teams performance, managers only do that when they are really annoyed at their team. I am pretty sure he will go through the video with his players and point out how badly they have done at times and how they can improve. He shows his frustration on the pitch when each thing goes wrong, he is professional in interviews not to say too much against players but when behind closed doors he will tell them.

There is very little he can do with his team at the moment, there are good youngsters but Csaba has a plan on how to bring them in and I feel he wont be rushed into that by a panic. I will only be worried if we only sign one player we need in January.

says it all for me

I can see that you're a "my glass is half empty" person whereas....! :P

I was intending to start a thread in the Shed about the type of people who are forever going on in the workplace about how they are "a glass half-full person", but I might not now that my card is marked!

:)

Charlie-Brown

Topcat's excellent stats above show that 43 out of the 53 SPL games so far that exclude the Old Firm have either been drawn 10 (18.87%) or won by a single goal margin 33 (62.26%) which is 81% of games, has it ever been any closer?

I can't agree with your assessment of the draws. As well as a very strong penalty claim at 1-0 up, Hibs had several very good chances - just as many as we did. And do you remember Aberdeen hitting the same post twice within five minutes long before the Stewart penalty incident?

As the OP says we need a striker in the Aberdeen game they hit the post because they had a striker Lee Miller who was not afraid to have a shot from outside the box.Aberdeen never played any football that day and Hearts dominated but yet again as has been so often this season our lack of a potent striker always allowed Aberdeen a chance to win the game.The papers today even said that Nade although playing really well could have had 5 goals last night but had to settle for one which again had us clinging on.

Topcat's excellent stats above show that 43 out of the 53 SPL games so far that exclude the Old Firm have either been drawn 10 (18.87%) or won by a single goal margin 33 (62.26%) which is 81% of games, has it ever been any closer?

What they don't show however is the frankly obscene amount of money we continue to pay out on a weekly basis (when there are no 'glitches' in the system, aye right ;)) in comparison to the teams outwith the Old Firm. Dress it up whatever way you like but regardless of close defeats (Falkirk away, Killie home) and close wins (ICT home, M'Well home, St Mirren home and away, Hamilton home and away) we are toiling far more than is at all acceptable given our finances and resources. The 6pts we have just picked up are very welcome but last night inparticular was a shambles and easily as bad as many of the shockers from last season. The embarassing standard of Hamilton was the only thing that let us off the hook as we were utter gash. The SPL is so bad this season our league position currently masks the huge mess we are in and papers over the cracks. Whether we continue to do so is down to the others being total rubbish more than anything we are likley to produce.

Nobody has any idea what the clubs current finances are - people can only guess and speculate.

We can say with a fair degree of certainty that the likes of Neilson, Berra and Wallace earn more in a week than the entire Hamilton squad (nevermind Kingston's wages alone).

Nobody has any idea what the clubs current finances are - people can only guess and speculate.

I don't think there is any doubt we will have the 3rd highest wage bill in the SPL and by some distance. It will have come down significantly compared to previous seasons but still ridiculously high when compared to performance.

Charlie-Brown
I don't think there is any doubt we will have the 3rd highest wage bill in the SPL and by some distance. It will have come down significantly compared to previous seasons but still ridiculously high when compared to performance.

It will be the 3rd highest however from peaking at ?12M in 2006-07 we have lost Pressley, Hartley, Fyssas, Jankauskas, Brellier, Barasa, Gordon, Pospisil, Pinilla, Beslija & Goncalves (loan) from the wage bill as well as releasing numerous youngsters and sending Klimek, Pilibaitis, Kancelskis, Kurskis, Beniusis & Ivaskevicius back to Kaunas so the total wage bill should be seriously reduced from what it was.

If you want to look at poor performance in terms of wage bill then in recent weeks Rangers have lost to St.Mirren and in the last 7 days drawn with Motherwell and Dundee Utd which is really poor considering their wage bill is almost ?30M (?28M most recent figures)

So?

Charlie-Brown
So?

Most games are as tight as they possibly could be and could easily go either way - not just Hearts games but from 3rd - 12th in the SPL.

http://www.heartsfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/HeartsNewsDetail/0,,10289~1453072,00.html

Reading this the man has a point and has confirmed what we all know.

If Nade had put his chance away at easter road and Mole against aberdeen we would have been sitting nicely in third and have won 4 out 5!!

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but its a 20 goal a season striker we are crying out for!!

Think that say's more about the quality of these two being "strikers" more than anything,between them they have played in 25 games for Hearts this season scoring one goal each,man prolific or what.

If you want to look at poor performance in terms of wage bill then in recent weeks Rangers have lost to St.Mirren and in the last 7 days drawn with Motherwell and Dundee Utd which is really poor considering their wage bill is almost ?30M (?28M most recent figures)

So?

Most games are as tight as they possibly could be and could easily go either way - not just Hearts games but from 3rd - 12th in the SPL.

...and what?

We are just as pish as everyone else so all is well?

Do you have children? "Never mind son, the fact that nearly 90% of everyone else in the class got a fail means its OK."

Charlie-Brown
So?

The dirty Huns aren't getting very good value for money - Hearts got 2nd place in the SPL spending a third of that amount.

It will be the 3rd highest however from peaking at ?12M in 2006-07 we have lost Pressley, Hartley, Fyssas, Jankauskas, Brellier, Barasa, Gordon, Pospisil, Pinilla, Beslija & Goncalves (loan) from the wage bill as well as releasing numerous youngsters and sending Klimek, Pilibaitis, Kancelskis, Kurskis, Beniusis & Ivaskevicius back to Kaunas so the total wage bill should be seriously reduced from what it was.

Sorry I thought we were hearts supporters. Who gives a toss how rangers wage bill compares to their performances. Rangers are not our competitors.

rudi must stay
No he does not. He is havering.

Each of our victories this season has been by a single goal in games which could have gone either way. The two draws could just as easily have resulted in defeats as victories. Only in three out of our five defeats has there been anything clear-cut about the margin of victory.

don't really see what this has to do with anything. He is saying that we should have won the games he is quite right to say that imo we had chances to win both.

So?

I think he's trying to suggest there is little to be worried about :)

He thinks cos all the games are close, there is nothing between the sides and we are so far edging more games against the dross than we are losing (winning v Hamilon x2, St Mirren x2, ICT), whilst losing twice (Killie and falkirk) and drawing twice (Dons and Hibs) with the teams competing for top 6 and being humped by the best 3 teams (Tic, Gers and Utd) it is acceptable despite the fact we are far and away the biggest wage payers outside Rantic.

The only really decent result this season so far was the first one v Motherwell !

In reality we are in 4th by default as the league is mind numbingly horrendous. Nothing to see here, move along !

Charlie-Brown
...and what?

We are just as pish as everyone else so all is well?

Do you have children? "Never mind son, the fact that nearly 90% of everyone else in the class got a fail means its OK."

No people were saying we could have lost or won this game or that game - it is true right across the league, however we DID win and are 4th so currently we are the 4th best team in Scotland.

The dirty Huns aren't getting very good value for money - Hearts got 2nd place in the SPL spending a third of that amount.

And boy did we take advantage of that achievement - NOT.

don't really see what this has to do with anything. He is saying that we should have won the games he is quite right to say that imo we had chances to win both.

You don't see what this has to do with anything?

Csaba has selected two games in which we achieved draws - games that could have gone either way based on the chances created - and two narrow defeats as a basis to propound an "if your aunty had baws"-ism. Meanwhile he has conveniently ignored the fact that all of our wins have been knife-edge affairs; each could have ended in the loss of at least two points.

In other words, he's slavering.

No people were saying we could have lost or won this game or that game - it is true right across the league, however we DID win and are 4th so currently we are the 4th best team in Scotland.

5 of our 6 wins (and by just a goal on each occasion) have come against the bottom 4 including 4 wins against the bottom 2. The only victory of any note and jeez it shows were we are when it comes to saying this was against Motherwell on the first day of the season.

Charlie-Brown
5 of our 6 wins (and by just a goal on each occasion) have come against the bottom 4 including 4 wins against the bottom 2. The only victory of any note and jeez it shows were we are when it comes to saying this was against Motherwell on the first day of the season.

All points won and goals scored are equal in value - Celtic didn't beat us in 1985-86 but still won the league.

You can only play what's put in front of you. In our league, we're currently 4th. At the end of the season, that'll be all that matters anyway.

All points won and goals scored are equal in value - Celtic didn't beat us in 1985-86 but still won the league.

No s**t sherlock. Certainly our record this season against the bottom teams suggests we should at least manage 6th or 7th this season which of course will see half wits claiming progress has been made. To get 4th or 5th we will need to beat the footballing giants of Kilmarnock, Falkirk, Aberdeen and Hibs once or twice though. In Csaba and the Russian fool we trust.

Charlie-Brown

Last week when we lost to Celtic we fell from 5th? to 8th and people were wrist-slashing then on saturday we won and jumped back up to 4th then Aberdeen won and we were 5th for a day before winning again last night and consolidating 4th and building a nice wee gap above the teams below - yes we need to maintain it as the league is very tight and a couple of good or bad results can drastically change the league position as we have seen perfectly well for ourselves in the last fortnight however Dundee Utd apart I don't see anybody else to be afraid of - yes we've been horrificly poor in a couple of games but nobody else is doing any better, we can do a lot better but just now we're doing okay even if it's not very pretty.

rudi must stay
You don't see what this has to do with anything?

Csaba has selected two games in which we achieved draws - games that could have gone either way based on the chances created - and two narrow defeats as a basis to propound an "if your aunty had baws"-ism. Meanwhile he has conveniently ignored the fact that all of our wins have been knife-edge affairs; each could have ended in the loss of at least two points.

In other words, he's slavering.

who cares what our other results have been. He is saying we would be higher up in the league if we had taken our chances in those games which is absolutely correct. If he had chosen games like Rangers, Celtic then i'd agree with you but he's picked two games we should have won

if we had lost out last 2 we would be 1 point above bottom place.

if we had taken our chances and/or not been denied goals due to bizarre decisions in the hibs and aberdeen games, we would be in 3rd place.

that's how tight this league is.

we wont keep getting away with the inability to score more than 1 goal per game.

we will have some joy in this league if we keep up the goals against record from out last 4 games against non-OF teams (2 goals in 4 games).

we are at a bit of a crossroads. we will either consolodate our position in 3rd to 5th, or we will take a heider down the table.

getting all out injured players back and a few crafty signings in january and it will be the first of those two.

Charlie-Brown
if we had lost out last 2 we would be 1 point above bottom place.

if we had taken our chances and/or not been denied goals due to bizarre decisions in the hibs and aberdeen games, we would be in 3rd place.

that's how tight this league is.

we wont keep getting away with the inability to score more than 1 goal per game.

we will have some joy in this league if we keep up the goals against record from out last 4 games against non-OF teams (2 goals in 4 games).

we are at a bit of a crossroads. we will either consolodate our position in 3rd to 5th, or we will take a heider down the table.

getting all out injured players back and a few crafty signings in january and it will be the first of those two.

I agree with what you wrote Victorian and agree we aren't scoring nearly enough to be comfortable or confident about games - the consolation to that is neither are most other teams with most of them having scored the same or less than we have.

I agree with what you wrote Victorian and agree we aren't scoring nearly enough to be comfortable or confident about games - the consolation to that is neither are most other teams with most of them having scored the same or less than we have.

Would you now concede it was therefore beyond negligent not to have addressed the 'striker' issue obvious to all but the imbeciles in charge of our club during the transfer window ?

Would you now concede it was therefore beyond negligent not to have addressed the 'striker' issue obvious to all but the imbeciles in charge of our club during the transfer window ?

We have strikers.

We had Nade, Makela and Mole. We then signed Tullberg.

We have strikers.

We had Nade, Makela and Mole. We then signed Tullberg.

:) That makes me smile. How anyone can be soooooo deluded.

who cares what our other results have been. He is saying we would be higher up in the league if we had taken our chances in those games which is absolutely correct. If he had chosen games like Rangers, Celtic then i'd agree with you but he's picked two games we should have won

But it's not rocket science, is it? "If we'd won some other games we'd be higher up the league." Brilliant. What next? "If we'd won every game we had played last season, we'd have won three trophies"?

I'm only making the point because I was hoping we'd have reached the stage where the official website was no longer being used to peddle deluded drivel. That would have been a great improvement for this season. There's plenty Csaba could be saying about team matters at the moment that would be of interest. Such as what he thinks needs to be improved.

Last week when we lost to Celtic we fell from 5th? to 8th and people were wrist-slashing then on saturday we won and jumped back up to 4th then Aberdeen won and we were 5th for a day before winning again last night and consolidating 4th and building a nice wee gap above the teams below - yes we need to maintain it as the league is very tight and a couple of good or bad results can drastically change the league position as we have seen perfectly well for ourselves in the last fortnight however Dundee Utd apart I don't see anybody else to be afraid of - yes we've been horrificly poor in a couple of games but nobody else is doing any better, we can do a lot better but just now we're doing okay even if it's not very pretty.

1 nil to the Arsenal or 1 nil to the Wimbledon?

I said many a time under the Triangle/Frail that a number of these wins, pushing us for Europe in season 1, and top 6 in season 2, were papering over massive cracks. During both seasons, we failed in our goals and generally the wins turned to draws, and draws to defeat at the critical end of the season when results AND performances mattered. Prime example example being Killie for top six. Yeah, result was important, but the performance was so inept, you were never going to get a result.

I'm basing my judgement on all home games and a couple of aways but I just felt we were building up to a performance such as last night. We might have beaten Hamilton, but I'm not sure we would have beaten anyone else. If there isn't a quick turnaround in performances I fear what looked like a promising start and definite top six, may not come to pass.

Just now it looks like we are basing our hopes on the inconsistent and poor performances of others. Dundee United have got their consistency back; Motherwell are getting there and Kilmarnock avoid the Old Firm for 3 or 4 months.

Let's all hope Csaba is right and current results lead to more confidence leading to better performances leading to more convincing results. The early season impetus quickly fell away.

Charlie-Brown

There wasn't any money to sign any players - they tried to get Gow & Rat-boy on loan deals without success but I don't think there were many top strikers available on free transfers.

Alright then ask yourself these questions:

If Frail was still in charge would we have come back from an early goal against Hibs and gone on to dominate the game?

If Frail was still in charge would we have come back from an early goal against Aberdeen and gone on to dominate the game?

If Frail was still in charge would we have seen out the game against Celtic with 10 men without losing any further goals?

If Frail was still in charge would we have beaten St Midden away with 10 men?

If Frail was still in charge would we have held on to our 1-0 advantage after being pumelled by Hamilton for most of the second half?

I'm willing to bet that we would have lost all the above, or have been settling for a draw at best to both St Midden and Hamilton.

I think we have progressed, not a lot, but I do see improvement and (Celtic game apart) a will to win that was completely missing last season.

Top post

I was going to post something similar. This is a list of our league positions after each game this season

2nd

7th (after Rangers game)

5th

2nd

5th

2nd

3rd

5th

5th

5th

8th (after Celtic game)

4th

4th

Given this information I find it strange that many people immediately latched onto the fact that we were 8th for one game and the league never lies blah blah blah, but all of a sudden we are back to 4th and the league is lying again, despite the fact that the lowest we have gone outwith the 2 occasions after facing the OF was 5th. But hey, we were 8th for a week,and that just happens to be the only week that the league doesn't lie. Go figure.

Refute this if you like but the fact is that our average league position from the above data is 4th. So if the league doen't lie our present position in the league is pretty much spot on. Add a goal scorer to the mix and who knows, we may just creep up another place.

Some will still focus on the negatives mind.

By the way, can I just remind you all that we won the frickin game!!!!

Archived