Silence will never be green, white and gold.

Guest Alex Guttenplan

the real question we should be asking is will celticfc take action against this disgusting green brigade mob after all they all sit in the one place that should make them easier to find than a WMD Dr reed

I suspect this statement is a blatant lie - and that they have indeed banned the Green Brigade bigots who walked out while being too scared to admit it for fear of upsetting the silent majority of bigots around them who would start rattling on about 'human rights' and 'legitimate political protest.'

http://www.celticfc.net/news/stories/news_131108163449.aspx

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stevieC@pivot
I honestly can't follow the logic which states that applause from 59,800 folk or whatever in an effort to pay their respects while drowning out 200 bigoted morons from having their way is somehow 'abuse'. Sorry, I find that bizarre to say that.

Its abuse , cos every club had a minutes silence,its not difficult to comprehend.It was as they say "the celtic way" andwe all know what that implies! And ps, there were plenty NOT applauding !

stevieC@pivot
the real question we should be asking is will celticfc take action against this disgusting green brigade mob after all they all sit in the one place that should make them easier to find than a WMD Dr reed

I suspect this statement is a blatant lie - and that they have indeed banned the Green Brigade bigots who walked out while being too scared to admit it for fear of upsetting the silent majority of bigots around them who would start rattling on about 'human rights' and 'legitimate political protest.'

http://www.celticfc.net/news/stories/news_131108163449.aspx

Celtic don`t lie do they???? Remember : Cambuslang is a reality!!:eek:

Not wanting to get into an argument on the religious issues here but i honestly believe that I was standing at Hampden Park and a minutes silence was conducted to pay respects to the late Pope John Paul II. Irrespective of beliefs whether that was the right thing to do, I do not care.

I may be wrong here but I also believe that on that day it suited "Ra Celtic", and a minute's silence was deemed the "Celtic Way". Of course that was a few years ago, and a club with a "proud history" wouldn't alter the "Celtic Way", would they?

I could be wrong, I frequently am.

Rod.

Not wanting to get into an argument on the religious issues here but i honestly believe that I was standing at Hampden Park and a minutes silence was conducted to pay respects to the late Pope John Paul II. Irrespective of beliefs whether that was the right thing to do, I do not care.

I may be wrong here but I also believe that on that day it suited "Ra Celtic", and a minute's silence was deemed the "Celtic Way". Of course that was a few years ago, and a club with a "proud history" wouldn't alter the "Celtic Way", would they?

Rod.

The press and Celtic fans were quick to condem a few Hearts fans for disrupting the silence for the pope. However, it has not been mentioned that the Rangers game the day before did not have a silence, and the pope's death was three weeks before.

It should made known to people all over the world that celtic fc did NOT show any respect to our war dead, in actul fact they slapped them in the face along with the British people.

It should be made clear to business that spend money at darkheid that this is the beliefs of the Club and also the low life that follow them.

That football club likes to portray its self as the innocent victims ALL the time and the world is against them but we all know in Scotland that they are the ones with the hidden agenda and its about time they were found out for what they are.

A superb article. Also spot on about the Barrowlands, it's an eye opener walking around that area if you ever get the chance.

Only thing that lets the article down is by naming people 'fenians'. Lost a little respect by stooping to their level.

stevieC@pivot

Rod.

No, you are not wrong!

The celtic supporters association lobbied the Sfa for that minutes silence,not celtic fc,but the fans!

thats why it was disrupted,it was not official.Seems they chnge their "celtic way" as it suits.

vile instituion.

stevieC@pivot
The press and Celtic fans were quick to condem a few Hearts fans for disrupting the silence for the pope. However, it has not been mentioned that the Rangers game the day before did not have a silence, and the pope's death was three weeks before.

Spot on too !

portobellojambo1
Sorry, don't think that's right. Most 'decent' fans accepted that refusing to give the bigots the right to jeer our dead in the silence was the right thing to do.

It seems to me it's only folk who feel the need to indulge in some dubious point scoring who feel otherwise.

The death of an individual and the remembrance of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for this great nation are two completely different things. There is only one way to show respect to those who made the ultimate sacrifice, and that is in silence, nothing else is acceptable.

And anyone willing to accept something else should feck off to Parkhead and join the rest of the hypocritical, plastic paddy, IRA loving wankheads.

A superb article. Also spot on about the Barrowlands, it's an eye opener walking around that area if you ever get the chance.

Only thing that lets the article down is by naming people 'fenians'. Lost a little respect by stooping to their level.

I wondered about that so i checked actually Michael Davitt was a REAL fenian i.e a member of the republican brotherhood amongst other things including being a mp .

No, you are not wrong!

The celtic supporters association lobbied the Sfa for that minutes silence,not celtic fc,but the fans!

thats why it was disrupted,it was not official.Seems they chnge their "celtic way" as it suits.

vile instituion.

Can you tell my wife that, she is convinced that I am never right!!

As for the disruption...that's what disappointed me most on that day, it was so OBVIOUSLY a set up and some fell for it. Stitched up by the SFA and CELTIC, God, how often that happens.

Rod.

portobellojambo1

The term fenian means someone who supports Irish nationalism or Irish repulicanism, as a term in itself it is not offensive.

Those who find it offensive tend not to know the derivation of the word, and assume the user is referring to Roman Catholics. The vast majority of RC's are not fenians, indeed some Protestants could be fenians.

I wondered about that so i checked actually Michael Davitt was a REAL fenian i.e a member of the republican brotherhood amongst other things including being a mp .

Oh alright, I take it back then. Top article.

The term fenian means someone who supports Irish nationalism or Irish repulicanism, as a term in itself it is not offensive.

Those who find it offensive tend not to know the derivation of the word, and assume the user is referring to Roman Catholics. The vast majority of RC's are not fenians, indeed some Protestants could be fenians.

I know what it means, but it's a clearly anti-Sellick article so I thought it may have been added as a dig.

portobellojambo1
I know what it means, but it's a clearly anti-Sellick article so I thought it may have been added as a dig.

Apologies JS, wasn't meant as a dig at you. In all honesty within the body of the OP's on this thread, which were both excellent reads, I believe the word was actually being used in its correct context (and I do accept that as a word it is used in other contexts, in fact that might be half the problem, it is not now accepted, recognised or understood when used in the correct manner).

Apologies JS, wasn't meant as a dig at you. In all honesty within the body of the OP's on this thread, which were both excellent reads, I believe the word was actually being used in its correct context (and I do accept that as a word it is used in other contexts, in fact that might be half the problem, it is not now accepted, recognised or understood when used in the correct manner).

I know. The author of the article obviously did his homework and the word is being used in the correct context. (Very true, you can't utter the word in any context at all without being branded a bigot.)

stevieC@pivot
Can you tell my wife that, she is convinced that I am never right!!

As for the disruption...that's what disappointed me most on that day, it was so OBVIOUSLY a set up and some fell for it. Stitched up by the SFA and CELTIC, God, how often that happens.

Rod.

Indeed it was and we fell for it.

No such mention in the NY Times about that lot though !!

I honestly can't follow the logic which states that applause from 59,800 folk or whatever in an effort to pay their respects while drowning out 200 bigoted morons from having their way is somehow 'abuse'. Sorry, I find that bizarre to say that.

If you can't understand why applause from 59,800 people had nothing to do with them paying respect to our war dead, then nothing I can say will help you understand.

They applauded because a very sizeable proportion of the self appointed greatest fans in the world would have disrupted the silence - no other reason. To suggest otherwise is crass.

Does anyone know why Murderwell joined in the aplause? Why did their players not stand quietly and show THEIR respects? The aplause was simply to get Celtic out of a hole, and no other reason,so why Murderwell joined in is a surprise to me.

picture i saw in the paper, was of the motherwell players standing heads down , with hands behind backs, with the Irish lot clapping away

There is only one way to show respect to those who made the ultimate sacrifice, and that is in silence, nothing else is acceptable.

And anyone willing to accept something else should feck off to Parkhead and join the rest of the hypocritical, plastic paddy, IRA loving wankheads.

Tradition dictates you're right, but if silence is unobtainable because of 200 12-year-old idealistic, plastic paddy little halfwits then you shouldn't give them the satisfaction of making their point by booing through the silence. Do that and they win. Others then tell them to shut the feck up and the whole thing descends into farce and before you know it it becomes theirs and Scotland's shame in every paper from here to Melbourne.

As someone else here said, what happened was the lesser of two evils.

Tradition dictates you're right, but if silence is unobtainable because of 200 12-year-old idealistic, plastic paddy little halfwits then you shouldn't give them the satisfaction of making their point by booing through the silence. Do that and they win. Others then tell them to shut the feck up and the whole thing descends into farce and before you know it it becomes theirs and Scotland's shame in every paper from here to Melbourne.

common decency dictates he is correct

stevieC@pivot

With folk like you they have won! ,60,000 brave "celtic people" back down to 2oo "halfwits" ,my god thats scary, i thought it was 60,000!But for a quiet life,hey ho !

The original article is 100% correct. That club is vile to its core. I agree that not all its supporters are however the club is and everything it stands for.

How many confusing messages can the IRA sympathisers give.

They give a minutes silence for someone who is responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths and they (well some of them) applaud the fact that people died for them.

They claim they are anti Britain yet they want to join the English Premiership so for a few gold coins they will sell their soul.

They support the IRA however when Ireland has its own nation they wont go back, am I to presume they must like it here, but yet they refuse to play for the national team.

I could go on, but what really gets to me is that the media, the police and the government do not challenge their double standards or the hypocrisy they stand for instead they sweep it under the carpet and pander to their every whim.

With all that stacked against me it must be me that is wrong to be proud to be British and proud of the people who died for our country.

You're starting to sound like a spokesman for these mhanks. If you believe there were only 200 and they're all about 12 years old, either you've been taken in by the filthy propeganda spewn out by them and their media apologists or you have an agenda.

Were you at Tynie last Sunday? 200?

You're starting to sound like a spokesman for these mhanks. If you believe there were only 200 and they're all about 12 years old, either you've been taken in by the filthy propeganda spewn out by them and their media apologists or you have an agenda.

Were you at Tynie last Sunday? 200?

Ach, listen, think what you like.

It's a messageboard and I happen to have a view on the whole applause thing which is not popular, but which is honestly held.

Ach, listen, think what you like.

It's a messageboard and I happen to have a view on the whole applause thing which is not popular, but which is honestly held.

I respect your candour and your view. You're more than entitled to it thanks to the millions of souls who perished fighting for it, however, when the west coast mafia write in their rags about a tiny minority and some spin doctors have the bare faced cheek to suggest numbers of around 20 or 30, that I can accept. Hell, they're all on the payroll so I expect no less. I'm accustomed to their lies.

What I can't be arsed with is when one of my own tries to feed me the same spin. We all know the truth about that lot regardless of what they try and brainwash us with and the minority it may well be, a small one possibly, but a couple of hundred? Nope!

Dusk_Till_Dawn
The forum I picked this up from was one of the bigger English boards. It certainly spread, and was widely condemned.

I mean in the press/media pal

Another tragic irony in all of this is the news which broke today that one of the two Royal Marines killed in Afghanistan this week has been named as Marine Robert McKibben, who was from Westport, County Mayo, Irish Republic; something which not only those in charge at Parkhead might reflect on but also some of those with extreme views regarding the Republic on this site.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7729334.stm

portobellojambo1
Another tragic irony in all of this is the news which broke today that one of the two Royal Marines killed in Afghanistan this week has been named as Marine Robert McKibben, who was from Westport, County Mayo, Irish Republic; something which not only those in charge at Parkhead might reflect on but also some of those with extreme views regarding the Republic on this site.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7729334.stm

There is a subtle difference between the Irish Republic and west coast/central belt of Scotland Irish republicanism billco98.

The Irish Republic and its citizens have moved on, whereas the psuedo Irish republicans who are based in west/central Scotland are stuck in a time warp. I know it may be difficult to believe but the biggest condemnations of Glasgow Celtic Football Club's fans I have ever heard over a sustained period of around an hour's discussion was actually in a pub in Dublin, with a large number of local football fans.

The views of, imho, a healthy percentage of the Celtic support do not reflect the views or lifestyle of the citizens of the Irish republic, and they should not be confused.

There is a subtle difference between the Irish Republic and west coast/central belt of Scotland Irish republicanism billco98.

The Irish Republic and its citizens have moved on, whereas the psuedo Irish republicans who are based in west/central Scotland are stuck in a time warp. I know it may be difficult to believe but the biggest condemnations of Glasgow Celtic Football Club's fans I have ever heard over a sustained period of around an hour's discussion was actually in a pub in Dublin, with a large number of local football fans.

The views of, imho, a healthy percentage of the Celtic support do not reflect the views or lifestyle of the citizens of the Irish republic, and they should not be confused.

:Agree:

In a couple of generations, I think the citizens of Ulster will have completely moved on too - they're already progressing towards that point, indeed. The only place where the conflict will be as poisonous and prehistoric as ever will, sadly, be in Glasgow. :sad:

stevieC@pivot

Absence or lack of ,makes the heart grow fonder.

Dewy eyed 5th generation mugs.

The Dubliners hate them ,except a minority of about a few thousand.

Man utd,Leeds,Villa and arsenal is what they want.

I agree with every word of your post, Portobello jambo.

:Agree:

In a couple of generations, I think the citizens of Ulster will have completely moved on too - they're already progressing towards that point, indeed. The only place where the conflict will be as poisonous and prehistoric as ever will, sadly, be in Glasgow. :sad:

But be careful - life is not quite so simple. Many of the problems in the West of Scotland in particular, but in the East as well as well, have arisen because the immigrant people of the 19th century Irish diaspora have suffered long term abuse at the hands of 'Protestant' bigots. Therefore it can be fairly said that the flames of sectarianism have kept alive a spirit of Irish orientated defensiveness and awareness among those people long after they might have been expected to have been assimilated in the Scottish culture. The partition of Ireland in 1921 together with the 'troubles between 1969 and 1997 added to that sense of alienation. The ultimate irony of course is that Scotland itself historically evolved primarily from the settlement of Irish tribes in the land now known as 'Scotland'. The majority of Scots have some Irish blood in their vains, like it or not but we do.

Absence or lack of ,makes the heart grow fonder.

Dewy eyed 5th generation mugs.

The Dubliners hate them ,except a minority of about a few thousand.

Man utd,Leeds,Villa and arsenal is what they want.

I'm a fairly regular visitor to Dublin and have yet to meet anyone there with a good word for them. Most people I've met there believe that Celtic and there supporters drag the good name of Ireland through the gutter continually.

But be careful - life is not quite so simple. Many of the problems in the West of Scotland in particular, but in the East as well as well, have arisen because the immigrant people of the 19th century Irish diaspora have suffered long term abuse at the hands of 'Protestant' bigots. Therefore it can be fairly said that the flames of sectarianism have kept alive a spirit of Irish orientated defensiveness and awareness among those people long after they might have been expected to have been assimilated in the Scottish culture. The partition of Ireland in 1921 together with the 'troubles between 1969 and 1997 added to that sense of alienation. The ultimate irony of course is that Scotland itself historically evolved primarily from the settlement of Irish tribes in the land now known as 'Scotland'. The majority of Scots have some Irish blood in their vains, like it or not but we do.

All sadly true. Thrilled as I was when the Good Friday Agreement was signed, what really worried me was it seemed to accept and even institutionalise sectarianism, by looking towards a political body based on people elected by two communities, not one. The success of Sinn Fein and the DUP - Adams and Paisley - since seemed to confirm this; but even in the past year or so, they've come a long, long way. And if they continue to progress, it makes the ongoing attitudes in Glasgow seem ever more ludicrous.

Yes very few people in Edinburgh know about the Cormack Riots in the 1930's in Edinburgh at Waverley Station and in Morningside.- A forgotten part of the history of this city - a real stain on the reputation of Edinburgh.

stevieC@pivot
I'm a fairly regular visitor to Dublin and have yet to meet anyone there with a good word for them. Most people I've met there believe that Celtic and there supporters drag the good name of Ireland through the gutter continually.

:)Spot on mate !

They can`t be bothered with them,same with the rest of Ireland.

Bizarre they worship a place where they are not liked!

stevieC@pivot

And also true is the fact that most of Ulster`s people have Scottish blood due to the intervention of the British government in the famine times to send over Scottish nobles to rule the land and supress them further.They hate us more than you think !!

Yes very few people in Edinburgh know about the Cormack Riots in the 1930's in Edinburgh at Waverley Station and in Morningside.- A forgotten part of the history of this city - a real stain on the reputation of Edinburgh.

Aye, and old man Cormack was still spitting out his veminous bigotted bile at Speaker's Corner at the Mound in the late 1960's. He triggered a running riot through the city streets at the height of the tourist season one ignominious Sunday afternoon bringing shame to our city.

That pretty much lines-up with experiences that I've had when I've been in Cork or Dublin. The only folk I know who enjoy "living the dream" regarding Republicanism are from Co. Monaghan - a former of mate of mine delighted in the whole Border Country / "Bandit Country".

At a wedding in Cork, the southerners were appalled when Uncle Frank got pished and started singing 'RA songs. They were not impressed.

I still think having the minute's applause was the correct thing. It was either that or have nothing. To give an airing to a group who would boo through the silence would have been even more disrespectful imo.

:)Spot on mate !

They can`t be bothered with them,same with the rest of Ireland.

Bizarre they worship a place where they are not liked!

I also remember being at Hampden Park in the company of my daughter and a university friend of hers from Dublin when we were surrounded by a bunch of unadulterated bigots with I am ashamed to say maroon and white shirts on their backs booing the one minute silence for the Pope. Fortunately that young man was enlightened enough to understand that neandertholls were at large that day.

That is so true. Good point.

stevieC@pivot
I still think having the minute's applause was the correct thing. It was either that or have nothing. To give an airing to a group who would boo through the silence would have been even more disrespectful imo.

That must be some fence you sit on,its all you do,Why then did the smeltic SA demand a minutes silence or the pope?? why not do it "the smeltic way ?? ie ,lets clap instead .They stitched us up.and now defending them.Probably from the right concsience.

MacDonald Jardine
And also true is the fact that most of Ulster`s people have Scottish blood due to the intervention of the British government in the famine times to send over Scottish nobles to rule the land and supress them further.They hate us more than you think !!

It actually predates that.

James VI arranged for a lot of Scots to settle in Ulster in the late 16th century.

The covenanting years also saw a lot of interchange.

That's why the biggest Protestant church in Northern Ireland is the Presbyterian Church.

A lot of the Loyalist murals have Scottish symbols.

Couple that with our overrepresentation in the army and the Scots haven't always exactly been popular with Irish Republicans, despite what the "Celtic Brothers" brigade might think.

stevieC@pivot
I also remember being at Hampden Park in the company of my daughter and a university friend of hers from Dublin when we were surrounded by a bunch of unadulterated bigots with I am ashamed to say maroon and white shirts on their backs booing the one minute silence for the Pope. Fortunately that young man was enlightened enough to understand that neandertholls were at large that day.

Aye, we know that!!

It was spoiled by the CSA not the Sfa,so whilst i did not boo personally,i undersand why folk did: it was forced upon us !! Gers never had it the day b4!!

That must be some fence you sit on,its all you do,Why then did the smeltic SA demand a minutes silence or the pope?? why not do it "the smeltic way ?? ie ,lets clap instead .They stitched us up.and now defending them.Probably from the right concsience.

SO me thinking it was the correct thing to do versus you thinking it wasn't is me sitting on the fence. :rolleyes:

Personally, I don't think there should have been a minute's silence for the pope but we did boo it. Since then the minutes applause has come into vogue as some people can't behave themselves.

I'm not defending anyone who disrespects silences or applause.

Archived