Silence will never be green, white and gold.

Guest Alex Guttenplan

stevieC@pivot
SO me thinking it was the correct thing to do versus you thinking it wasn't is me sitting on the fence. :rolleyes:

Personally, I don't think there should have been a minute's silence for the pope but we did boo it. Since then the minutes applause has come into vogue as some people can't behave themselves.

I'm not defending anyone who disrespects silences or applause.

So ,what are you actually saying???

I`m saying it wasn`t because the only club in n th uk chose their own path,and you will not stand up for either.Do you believe that smeltic were right MORALLY for that stance or was it cowardice ?? 2 questions ,i know,but both need answers.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just one geniune question.

All the folk who feel Celtic have shamed themselves etc etc by not having a minute's silence.

How will some of you feel when Margaret Thatcher dies and Tynie is asked to pay its respects?

Yeah, great comparison.

What a choob.

So ,what are you actually saying???

I`m saying it wasn`t because the only club in n th uk chose their own path,and you will not stand up for either.Do you believe that smeltic were right MORALLY for that stance or was it cowardice ?? 2 questions ,i know,but both need answers.

My view is that in the circumstances the right thing to do was to minimise the disrespect that would have been shown by some of their supporters. Given that, if they had to do anything, then they were correct to have a minutes applause.

stevieC@pivot
My view is that in the circumstances the right thing to do was to minimise the disrespect that would have been shown by some of their supporters. Given that, if they had to do anything, then they were correct to have a minutes applause.

So , you support smeltic fc`s stand on bigotry then , sweep,sweep,??

But it was ok for us to be in the NY times for being bigots,because of the same people?for a popes silence that we never asked for ?

Aye, we know that!!

It was spoiled by the CSA not the Sfa,so whilst i did not boo personally,i undersand why folk did: it was forced upon us !! Gers never had it the day b4!!

So that's all right then? FFS get a grip. There was no justification for any supporters of Heart of Midlothian FC lowering themselves to that level that day - no justification whatever.

Dave its alright sweeping it under the carpet now, but how the hell will they manage to hide between 2014 - 2018.There are going to be a lot of minutes silences during this period.

Better they get it out the way now IMO

Midfield Dynamo

I bought a Poppy from a man in uniform on Gorgie Road, unknown to me a Celtic supporters bus pulled up behind me. The supporters in the bus were giving me and the Poppy seller absolute pelters. I turned round to hear what the noise was, I gutted to see these EEJITS giving me major abuse about buying a Poppy.

Some of my friends who support Celtic, Rangers, Motherwell and dare I say it Hibs, could not believe the absolute bile these morons were coming out with.

So , you support smeltic fc`s stand on bigotry then , sweep,sweep,??

But it was ok for us to be in the NY times for being bigots,because of the same people?for a popes silence that we never asked for ?

The only thing sweeping are your statements. ;)

Dave its alright sweeping it under the carpet now, but how the hell will they manage to hide between 2014 - 2018.There are going to be a lot of minutes silences during this period.

Better they get it out the way now IMO

One can only hope that society has moved on. I don't see it as sweeping it under the carpet but trying to be as respectful as possible.

stevieC@pivot
The only thing sweeping are your statements. ;)

Please justify if you can.I seriously doubt it though! Ps, why the wink?

One can only hope that society has moved on. I don't see it as sweeping it under the carpet but trying to be as respectful as possible.

I actually see your point, but unfortunately i see little hope of Celtic fans changing.

What do you think should happen if Hearts have to play Celtic on one of the big dates between 2014 - 2018. Minutes silence or minute?s applause.

stevieC@pivot

Jesus, that sums it up.hopeful or what?? You don`t see it as sweeping under the carpet? but you see it as being respectful as poss?

Fence.

I actually see your point, but unfortunately i see little hope of Celtic fans changing.

What do you think should happen if Hearts have to play Celtic on one of the big dates between 2014 - 2018. Minutes silence or minute?s applause.

I think the big date will be 2018. It's a good question. I think Hearts, or anyone else, would and should have a minutes silence as they are the home club and I assume they get to decide. It will be interesting to see what is done.

Has there always been a minutes silence at football on remembrance day? If so have Celtic never had this problem before? If not, why start this year?

stevieC@pivot
I think the big date will be 2018. It's a good question. I think Hearts, or anyone else, would and should have a minutes silence as they are the home club and I assume they get to decide. It will be interesting to see what is done.

Has there always been a minutes silence at football on remembrance day? If so have Celtic never had this problem before? If not, why start this year?[/QUOTE]

Eh?yes,its been the way for decades.No ,smelic have always complied in the pastthey used to be quite an honourable club!!You should know the answers to that one !!

Ps.want to answer my previous questions?

Marine Robert McKibben, 36, from County Mayo Ireland.

Killed in action, Helmand province, Afghanistan, 12th November 2008.

R.I.P.

Per Mare Per Terram

stevieC@pivot
Marine Robert McKibben, 36, from County Mayo Ireland.

Killed in action, Helmand province, Afghanistan, 12th November 2008.

R.I.P.

Per Mare Per Terram

Which means what?

My grandad who was irish was blown up at the somme whilst fighting for the Irish guards in 1916.ps he was a fenian git after the war.

stevieC@pivot

Has there always been a minutes silence at football on remembrance day? If so have Celtic never had this problem before? If not, why start this year?

Ask George Blainey. in your signature.

You have not responded to my other questions which tells me all.

Please justify if you can.I seriously doubt it though! Ps, why the wink?

I assume these are the questions you want answered?

I'm not sure what you want me to justify. I've explained why I have the opinion I have.

The smile was to indicate it was a semi-humorous comment. Clearly it failed. :)

To my recollection during the 70s there was always minutes silence on remembrance day but i moved down south in 1980 and don?t have any recollection of being in Edinburgh for any game in November.

Why start this year, could possibly be because of all the tit for tat between the OF in recent months.

Ask George Blainey. in your signature.

You have not responded to my other questions which tells me all.

I'm just a tad confused as to why some Celtic fans would have a problem this year if in previous years they didn't ( assuming they hold a minutes silence at Parkhead when they are at home that weekend every year ).

There you go again... :rolleyes:

arent we all racists and bigots ...but some worse than others

Human beings are instinctively tribal but most of us try to use our intelligence to rise above it as best we can. :)

Human beings are instinctively tribal but most of us try to use our intelligence to rise above it as best we can. :)

so you have never been ...we have all been there

have you never said / done anything racist or bigoted in you life

Never ever!

Nah, that's not true. Nobody is perfect but most don't make a vocation out of it and actually try not to.

Never ever!

Nah, that's not true. Nobody is perfect but most don't make a vocation out of it and actually try not to.

so its there and always will be

Francis Albert
:Agree:

In a couple of generations, I think the citizens of Ulster will have completely moved on too - they're already progressing towards that point, indeed. The only place where the conflict will be as poisonous and prehistoric as ever will, sadly, be in Glasgow. :sad:

... along with JKB, if the proliferation of these threads about the great applause vs silence "outrage" continues.

Singularly biased and selective "history" of Celtic FC. Sure they have many skeletons in their cupboard but so do the other lot. Anyone who cannot see through this article's faux-intellectual language to the totally unbalanced propaganda that is barely beneath needs to take a look at themselves and ask themself why they are being selectively blind...It's the kind of stuff you expect on Follow Follow but is not really worthy as a discussion starter on here.

stevieC@pivot
I'm just a tad confused as to why some Celtic fans would have a problem this year if in previous years they didn't ( assuming they hold a minutes silence at Parkhead when they are at home that weekend every year ).

There you go again... :rolleyes:

Mmmm,is that humour too ?:rolleyes:

stevieC@pivot
So that's all right then? FFS get a grip. There was no justification for any supporters of Heart of Midlothian FC lowering themselves to that level that day - no justification whatever.

I never said there was. Just that i understand why.

MacDonald Jardine
To my recollection during the 70s there was always minutes silence on remembrance day but i moved down south in 1980 and don?t have any recollection of being in Edinburgh for any game in November.

Why start this year, could possibly be because of all the tit for tat between the OF in recent months.

I only recall in the last few years a minute's silence at games on Remembrance Sunday, I suspect because of the increase in games played on Sundays.

I'm not aware off hand that Celtic gave played in any of them.

This is the first year I can remember a silence at games the day before.

Archived