Silence will never be green, white and gold.

Guest Alex Guttenplan

In December 1915, when I was seventeen and a half, I ran away from home to join the 4th Battalion East Surreys. I was under age so I had to lie to the recruitment sergeant. I said I was eighteen years old and my name was Sydney Harrison. I told the truth later though, because if I?d been killed as Harrison, nobody would ever have known what happened to me.

Arras was the first time I went over the top. We played football together as we went over. That was the tradition in the East Surreys. I remember the ball dropping at my feet and I passed it to Captain Maxwell. ?That was a good pass you made young Withers!? he shouted before he thumped it towards the German lines.

I got wounded at the end of that battle. I was temporarily blinded in one eye but it could have been worse. At the end of the battle, I lay bleeding in a trench. There was blood coming out of my eye, pouring out all over my face. My head looked blown in. They thought I was dead and they were going to bury me. I was in a half-conscious state and I can remember a soldier getting hold of me and saying ?Here ? this blokes alive!? That man saved my life, by calling that out. I?d have been buried alive in Arras, if it hadn?t been for him.

Above, the words of Cecil Withers from the book ?Last Post ? The Final Word From Our First World War Soldiers?. Cecil recounts his time on the Western Front as a teenager fighting for our country.

Last weekend 65 senior football matches were played in Great Britain. Prior to kick-off at 64 of them, fans of opposing clubs put aside their rivalries and stood silent in tribute to those brave men and women who gave their lives in service of our country. In the 65th senior game the mould was broken. Celtic Football Club spat in the face of common decency by instead hosting a minute?s applause in recognition of those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Think about it. Applause. For 20 million lives destroyed.

Those of a Celtic persuasion couldn?t even bring themselves to admit who they were honouring. The Celtic Park Master of Ceremonies told the 55,000 crowd the minute?s applause was to remember ?the Celtic players who died in both World Wars?. He further stated that the clapping of hands to show respect for the dead is ?the Celtic way?. It most certainly is.

Of course the increasingly incompetent Lex Gold of the SPL must shoulder part of the blame for the shame that this has heaped upon Scottish football. The option of a minute?s applause as an alternative to the traditional silence should never have entered his distorted mind. In the name of decency it simply shouldn?t have been an option. Let?s not mince words here. This option was devised to save Celtic Football Club acute embarrassment.

In decrying Gold, let?s not lose sight of who the real culprits are in this blackest of days for Scottish football. Celtic Football Club. Their directors and Chief Executive could and should have insisted they follow protocol. Their Chairman is a former Secretary for Defence for God?s sake. They could and should have shown they cared and turned their backs on the hate-filled cretins amongst their support who intended disrupting proceedings. They could and should have requested police eject anyone breaking the silence from their stadium or arrest them for breach of the peace. But damage limitation, not decency and decorum, was order of the day and foremost in the minds of John Reid, Peter Lawwell and Co.

?Keep the name of Celtic clean at all costs? the mantra once again. Thus they opted to shame themselves and their football club in the most contemptible way imaginable.

Predictably the Celtic-minded apologists were at their pre and post-match best, deflecting and rewriting as only they can. On Saturday morning the Daily Record told us the minutes applause was introduced in Scotland after Hearts fans disrupted a silence for the Pope. Lies. The first minutes applause in Scotland took place at Celtic Park in honour of the late great George Best. The reason? Best had made some derogatory remarks about Gerry Adams and the IRA in his Mail on Sunday column a year earlier, propmting outrage in Republican circles. The Celtic heirarchy knew any silence would be disrupted.

At pains to propagate the increasingly risible ?tiny-minority? line, the media once again did Peter Lawwell?s bidding for him. Numbers for those who walked out of Celtic Park in protest against ?British Imperialism? ranged from a few hundred to Hugh Keevins? ridiculous 20 figure. Mark Guidi in the Sunday Mail clawed hopelessly as he stated ?a maximum of 80 Celtic fans left the stadium?. How bloody desperate.

Celtic of course refused to speak out, their work done for them. ?Not worthy of comment? said a Celtic spokesman, just as 3500 of their fans singing loudly in tribute to their IRA heroes at Tynecastle the previous weekend had similarly been ?not worthy of comment?. Are we really to believe that these same morons would have respected a silence one week on? The same Celtic supporters who had verbally abused poppy-sellers outside the Hearts stadium? The same Hearts who lost a whole first team in the fields of France during the Great War? Of course they would. We know exactly what would have happened, and Celtic knew too. Thousands of their clubs fans would have been shown up for exactly what they are ? hate-filled, shameless anti-British fascists and racists.

Keevins described the actions of the assembled throng of IRA sympathisers as ?a serious embarrassment for us as a country?. Wrong Mr. Keevins. They are a serious embarrassment to Ireland as a country, for these creatures are not Scottish or British, they are Irish. Ask them for yourself.

On Saturday night I watched the Festival of Remembrance on BBC1. I sat in awe as Lance Corporal Mathew Croucher of 40 Commando Royal Marines was piped in carrying the Book of Remembrance, by Scottish soldiers. Lance Corporal Croucher had thrown his body across a live hand-grenade to save the lives of two of his comrades. Only his backpack saved him from being blown to pieces. He was awarded the George Cross for his bravery. I was reminded of Sergeant Michael Willets of 3rd Battalion Parachute Regiment, husband and father, who threw himself on top of a hand-grenade tossed into Springfield Road Police Station Belfast by the IRA in 1971. Sergeant Willets gave his own life to save the lives of Catholic/Nationalist/Republican women and children sheltering in the station. He was posthumously awarded the George Cross.

I continued to watch as British soldiers of all races, creeds and colours paid tribute to fallen comrades. I listened intently as Lt. Col. Joe O?Sullivan 2nd Battalion Parachute Regiment lamented the loss of three of his men in Iraq. The Lt. Col. could I?m sure trace his roots back to Ireland should he so choose. This set me thinking. Why are people like Joe O?Sullivan, and thousands of others like him, fully assimilated and proud of the adopted country of their ancestors, yet we in West-Central Scotland have the continual embarrassment and perpetual shame of those of Irish ancestry who despise us?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The answer is Celtic Football Club. An organisation diseased to its core. In the beginning we had Marist Brother Walfrid introducing bigotry to football when founding the club ?prompted by a fear that Protestant soup kitchens might tempt young Catholics into apostasy? and ?worried about the dangers of young Catholics meeting Protestants in their place of employment or leisure? (Football historian Bill Murray from his book ?The Old Firm?). Walfrid's co-recruitment agent for Celtic was a Fenian, Pat Welsh, on the run from Ireland suspected of murder. Choice company for a man of the cloth. This would of course be the same Walfrid that Celtic history books clearly document as leading the singing of Irish rebel songs in St Mary's Parish Hall, Glasgow, in November 1887.

On to the opening ceremony for Celtic Park when the convicted Fenian gun-runner and ?embittered Irish Nationalist who was anti-British to the backbone? Michael Davitt laid the first piece of turf. Fast-forward to September 17th 1941, when the SFA closed Parkhead for a month because of Celtic fans? ?serious misbehaviour and pro-German chants?. To the Falklands conflict when Celtic fans chanted ?Argentina, Argentina? and ?Malvinas, Malvinas? in support of Galtieri?s fascist military dictatorship. Not forgetting 30 years of Provisional IRA support and the Celtic Board of Directors? insistence on P.A. broadcasts of dewy-eyed ballads ?rebelling against the Crown? and featuring ?let the people sing? Irish Republican lyrics. I could add the Irish Republican vocalist at Jackie MacNamara?s testimonial, the disruption of a minutes silence for a member of the Royal Family, Republican flute bands playing at testimonial matches, Celtic players singing IRA songs???..

I would also mention the dozens of ?Celtic pubs? that are little more than meeting places and breeding grounds for terrorist sympathisers and what former Celtic chairman Fergus McCann so deftly described as ?Celtic-minded Catholic bigots?. Witness the IRA theme park that the Barrowlands ghetto of Glasgow has become with its Sinn Fein shops and public houses festooned in Irish Republican symbology. Shame on Glasgow City Council who seem happy to allow this area to expand.

Swathes of Liverpool and Everton fans can trace their Irish heritage back to when their ancestors sailed to England. Likewise the Arsenal fans of Kilburn and other areas of London heavily populated by descendents of Irish settlers, but they don?t embarrass their club in the way Celtic fans do. That?s because their board of directors don?t actively encourage them to. History has shown us that Celtic Football Club and its fans have used anything at their disposal to express their pro-Irish Republican anti British stance. On Saturday, even by their own standards, they reached a new all time low. The scandalous events show us nothing has changed in over 100 years. Celtic fans espouse a brand of puss-filled Irish Republicanism that brings with it a hatred unrivalled anywhere in European football. This is Scotland?s REAL secret shame.

?When you go home, tell them of us and say, for their tomorrow, we gave our today?

Cecil Withers passed away on 17th April 2005, at the ripe old age of 106. May he rest in peace. Were he were alive to witness Saturdays events, one wonders if he?d still believe the sacrifice of his fellow soldiers made was worth it.

Pinched from another forum (not FollowFollow). A great read.

Scott_HMFC1874

Good read.

Comes across as really biased though.

Its the kind of thing we need to see in the newspapers here. Something that shows Celtic for the vile football club they are, not to hide it and blame everything else.

But of course, the papers don't have the balls to print things like this.

Excellent read. However could you even begin to imagine what would happen if one of the papers in this country even dared print some of that, even though it is all truth nothing said in that read is fiction, albeit written maybe from a slightly biased perspective but all facts nonetheless. Within hours of any of that ever seeing print there would be death threats towards the reporter and paper perhaps even worse.

Until someone in this country who is in a high enough position to do something and make things clear to them, has the balls to say it as it is, im afraid the hatred and bitterness from both the OF will never end. First port of call should be the SFA/SPL, instead of false threats and perhaps even the odd fine (Have the SFA?SPL ever actually fined either of the OF yet because of secatarian problems?) they should start docking points. 3 for first offence 6 for next 9 for next and so on until these idiots either realise they are only damaging their club or the real genuine fans that take nothng to do with that rubbish actually start getting involved and actively self police themselves, by reporting these cowards and bigots and pointing the out to stewards and police.

I don't think for a minute that all Celtic fans are bigotted, i know plenty who are not and are good decent people but that article has has hit the nail on the head and Celtic do nothing to stand up to it, infact they actively promote it.

I would love to see the reaction if someone had the balls to print that. The old firm apologists are too scared to offend either half of the old firm to do that though.

Before everyone gets carried away, I think Graeme Spiers nailed it this week.

What did spiers say? I like him possibly the only Journo I have any time for and tends to stay calm but say it like it is without West coast bias.

Is there a link to the article?

Excellent post and makes a change to read the truth. The amount of c**p that club and its 'fans' get away with week in, week out is unreal. Can you imagine a football club whose set of fans sang about al-quaeda every week and sang about the london bombings and 9/11 and who re-joiced in singing anti-british songs. I am sure the police and the mhedia would have a different take on that.

A powerful case against Celtic - not one I entirely agree with, but still... You may like to know how some fans dahn sarf view what happened on Saturday. There's a Newcastle forum I post on sometimes, and most folk on there are none too impressed with either Celtic or moronic Weegie fitba culture. Check it out for yourselves - the thread is entitled "Celtic fans disrespect Remembrance Day":

http://www.notbbc.co.uk/forums/f=unufc

The Mighty Thor
Before everyone gets carried away, I think Graeme Spiers nailed it this week.

Geoff

what paper was this in? do you have a link? (i've tried rooting around and can't find it)

I P Knightley

A good read and about 80% of it doing the job without getting too carried away.

I'd been wondering whether it was just the Hearts fans who were getting hot under the collar about Celtic's craven attitude towards this blight but I don't visit the discussion boards for other clubs.

Any indication of the extent of similar feeling among our fellow SPL clubs?

Goldstone Wonder
Click here for Graham Spier's article in The Times on the subject.

Entirely off topic I know but I've always wondered how you convert a link such as http://www.timesonline thingy to "click here". Can someone please tell this particular technophobe?

Guest juvehearts

it doesnt matter where the read came from.

it is a harsh reality into 1 scottish club & everything that is wrong with scottish football at the moment.

IF celtic want to be Irish, then F'off & play in their league.

IMHO they DEFINATLY wont be missed.

Thanks gents.

Good article, without angle as usual.

Yep, probably the only journo who doesnt tread on eggshells when dealing with that lot.

A good OP also.

After watching that doc about our brave ex players last night, you feel proud to support our club.......but it also confirms what a horrible mob that lot are. I detest them.

from memory, if you copy and paste the link, you can then "right click" on it and one of the options you get is "edit hyperlink" you can then change it to anything you want. (you need to see the link with the little blue underlining before it works, shows how techy I am ;)

A good read and about 80% of it doing the job without getting too carried away.

I'd been wondering whether it was just the Hearts fans who were getting hot under the collar about Celtic's craven attitude towards this blight but I don't visit the discussion boards for other clubs.

Any indication of the extent of similar feeling among our fellow SPL clubs?

Judging by fans on an SPL board im on, all clubs (including very decent Celtic fans), were absolutely appalled by the actions of the club. The Tic fans were embarrassed (and dare I say ashamed by their own club) and the oppo fans disgusted.

The Mighty Thor
Yep, probably the only journo who doesnt tread on eggshells when dealing with that lot.

A good OP also.

After watching that doc about our brave ex players last night, you feel proud to support our club.......but it also confirms what a horrible mob that lot are. I detest them.

I agree. I watched it too. Thought provoking and inspiring.

I've read the OP, the article by Spiers and quite a bit of the NUFC and Pie and Bovril thread. To me it highlights what a backward, narrow-minded, parochial and generally insidious hot-bed of hatred there is that exists in the West of Scotland. It really is a cancer without cure and what makes it all the more galling and sickening is the huge numbers of 'wanna be' plastics there are on both sides of the argument living through here and supporting both Hearts and Hibs. What is wrong with these people? Do they think it's funny, clever or cool to perpetuate this poisonous attitude?

To top it all we have a divided media, a spineless Government and an impotent Footballing authority unable and unwilling to tackle the two main culprits head on preferring to have charters and pronouncements.

I wonder what the hundreds of thousands of young men that laid down there lives without question would make of it all today?

This country is fecked.

You're just adding fuel to the fire.

So we should just ignore it then?

Is this the SNP's way of dealing with bigotry?

Buffalo Bill

Entirely off topic I know but I've always wondered how you convert a link such as http://www.timesonline thingy to "click here". Can someone please tell this particular technophobe?

when you enter the hyperlink and it 'enter' you will see it displayed as though its been inserted twice - only one of the links will be highlighted...change this one to whatever you want it to say....

Just one geniune question.

All the folk who feel Celtic have shamed themselves etc etc by not having a minute's silence.

How will some of you feel when Margaret Thatcher dies and Tynie is asked to pay its respects?

Judging by fans on an SPL board im on, all clubs (including very decent Celtic fans), were absolutely appalled by the actions of the club. The Tic fans were embarrassed (and dare I say ashamed by their own club) and the oppo fans disgusted.

Sorry, don't think that's right. Most 'decent' fans accepted that refusing to give the bigots the right to jeer our dead in the silence was the right thing to do.

It seems to me it's only folk who feel the need to indulge in some dubious point scoring who feel otherwise.

All the folk who feel Celtic have shamed themselves etc etc by not having a minute's silence.

How will some of you feel when Margaret Thatcher dies and Tynie is asked to pay its respects?

I despise the woman and everything she stood for. However if there was a minutes silence I would respect it as I was brought up that way. However I don't think it will ever come to pass as the authorities know what would most likely happen.

I despise the woman and everything she stood for. However if there was a minutes silence I would respect it as I was brought up that way. However I don't think it will ever come to pass as the authorities know what would most likely happen.

But that's exactly my point.

If you KNOW what's going to happen, do you bring embarassment upon yourself / your club / your country by allowing folk to show blatant disrespect?

Of course you don't.

But that's exactly my point.

If you KNOW what's going to happen, do you bring embarassment upon yourself / your club / your country by allowing folk to show blatant disrespect?

Of course you don't.

They did show blatant disrespect. By publicly behaving differently to every other club in Britain. And then lying about why it was that way.

Does anyone know why Murderwell joined in the aplause? Why did their players not stand quietly and show THEIR respects? The aplause was simply to get Celtic out of a hole, and no other reason,so why Murderwell joined in is a surprise to me.

Sorry, don't think that's right. Most 'decent' fans accepted that refusing to give the bigots the right to jeer our dead in the silence was the right thing to do.

It seems to me it's only folk who feel the need to indulge in some dubious point scoring who feel otherwise.

While they maybe "accepted" it was the right thing to do, they were appalled that the minority got "their" way. Most Celtic fans wanted a silence and felt it was hugely inappropriate to applaud those who died in the World Wars and were fully embarrassed by their club, as it meant the morons got their way. That was the sentiment echoed by other fans too.

I hope that explains my point a bit better.

Highlight the full address bar of the website you want to copy then right click and copy the highlighted address.

Type something in your post, such as click here, and highlight that.

Click the 'insert link' icon (createlink.gif) and paste the copied web address into the pop up box.

Will be interested to see what happens if Celtic are away next year at this time, ,mind you they said that the fans at Tynie were not really their fans when they sang IRA songs !!

It seems to me that some folk feel the need to justify the terrorist loving bawbags actions.

You don't post on many football related threads do you?

At the game last night?

:rolleyes:

I P Knightley
Does anyone know why Murderwell joined in the aplause? Why did their players not stand quietly and show THEIR respects? The aplause was simply to get Celtic out of a hole, and no other reason,so why Murderwell joined in is a surprise to me.

'Well did the decent thing in the circumstances - they toed the line with the majority in the area in which they were invited. To have gone against that would have seemed petty....

...in much the same way that Celtic have refused to toe the line and so are on the receiving end of an entirely justifiable amount of stick.

...in much the same way that anyone booing an approved minute's silence in any regard should be scorned.

I know you've not criticised Motherwell in your post but if anyone were to, I'd have to say that their hands were tied by the tossy actions of Celtic. Bad luck to them.

While they maybe "accepted" it was the right thing to do, they were appalled that the minority got "their" way. Most Celtic fans wanted a silence and felt it was hugely inappropriate to applaud those who died in the World Wars and were fully embarrassed by their club, as it meant the morons got their way. That was the sentiment echoed by other fans too.

I hope that explains my point a bit better.

It does indeed and it's a perfectly fair one. Cheers.

It seems to me that some folk feel the need to justify the terrorist loving bawbags actions.

You don't post on many football related threads do you?

At the game last night?

:rolleyes:

When Nade had they two shots the keeper saved well? When the big fella blazed that one over the bar from Bruno's cross five minutes into the second half? When Billy Reid was getting pelters for dancing like a halfwit on the touchline.

Aye, I was at the game thanks. And your implication is pathetic.

Don't assume that EVERY Hearts fan is cut from the same cloth.

stevieC@pivot

I watched the "minutes applause" on Polsat tv who were showing the whole game live and there were plenty "fans" who sat still with their arms folded.

Plus, could they have been applauding the ACTUAL deaths of British soldiers????:(

And the stadium announcer asked to give a minutes applause for all the celtic men who died in the great war,no mention of anyone else!!

I P Knightley

She will never truly die. Her body may pass but her soul will be with us for ever.:whistling::runaway:

Decent analogy, though. Tazio has it right; if the general, democratic feeling is that the crowd should do something, then join in or don't be there.

Anyone able to relate what happened around the death in Paris of the bulimic attention junky? I worked the day of the funeral. It was a decision I was asked to make but I had 60 folk depending on me being there (exam training with tight deadlines) and, although I gave the option of catch up sessions, 56 turned up; more, tbh, than would normally show on a Saturday morning. Despite my very strong feeling that it was mawkish & sensationalised and that (although I would) I didn't care much for the woman, I went with the 3 minute silence but, at the time, kept my thoughts to myself.

I'm sure that there must have been something pappy done by the footballing community but don't remember what or whether it was respected.

siegementality
I watched the "minutes applause" on Polsat tv who were showing the whole game live and there were plenty "fans" who sat still with their arms folded.

Plus, could they have been applauding the ACTUAL deaths of British soldiers????:(

And the stadium announcer asked to give a minutes applause for all the celtic men who died in the great war,no mention of anyone else!!

What "great war" was he talking about, "the struggle"?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

The minute's applause got a mention on one of the bigger Leeds United internet forums, and the response was very negative. But to be perfectly honest, news of it didn't really spread in England.

To be fair Motherwell were put in an awkward position by Celtic. If they had stoood still during a minutes applause they would have been open to people asking why they didn't join in. IMO a minutes applause was completely inappropriate for the occasion but once the decision had been made Motherwell were forced to go along with it.

Goldstone Wonder
Highlight the full address bar of the website you want to copy then right click and copy the highlighted address.

Type something in your post, such as click here, and highlight that.

Click the 'insert link' icon (createlink.gif) and paste the copied web address into the pop up box.

here goes!

Yes! It seems to work! Thanks for that.

I will be surprised. It is not normal to have a minute of silence or applause when a former PM dies.

The decision to have a minute's applause was totally and utterly disgraceful. It does not surprise me in the least that it should have happened, but the very thought of having a minute's applause on such an occasion makes me feel sick. How dare they abuse the memory of the 100s of thousands of soldiers who gave up their lives for their children and grandchildren?

I will be surprised. It is not normal to have a minute of silence or applause when a former PM dies.

The decision to have a minute's applause was totally and utterly disgraceful. It does not surprise me in the least that it should have happened, but the very thought of having a minute's applause on such an occasion makes me feel sick. How dare they abuse the memory of the 100s of thousands of soldiers who gave up their lives for their children and grandchildren?

I honestly can't follow the logic which states that applause from 59,800 folk or whatever in an effort to pay their respects while drowning out 200 bigoted morons from having their way is somehow 'abuse'. Sorry, I find that bizarre to say that.

no offence but comparing the passing of a incredibly controversial former pm at a right old age or ANY INDIVIDUAL WHATSOEVER to the war dead is every bit as ****ed up AND disgusting as the logic displayed at celtic park on saturday .

as for the op(author not poster) personally id rather not see follow follow chain mail on kickback the inaccuracy re the George best comment shows straight away that the original author is playing the same old bigoted rangers game of mixing the truth with half lies to make there point

as for the real issue the Celtic board IMHO chose the lesser of two evils in this disgusting situation. IF the silence had been disrupted it would have been a worse kick in the teeth than the applause was, for the memory of the veterans off all backgrounds who gave all ,

the real question we should be asking is will celticfc take action against this disgusting green brigade mob after all they all sit in the one place that should make them easier to find than a WMD Dr reed

MacDonald Jardine
When Nade had they two shots the keeper saved well? When the big fella blazed that one over the bar from Bruno's cross five minutes into the second half? When Billy Reid was getting pelters for dancing like a halfwit on the touchline.

Aye, I was at the game thanks. And your implication is pathetic.

Don't assume that EVERY Hearts fan is cut from the same cloth.

What cloth?

You mean some Hearts fans support the "Celtic way" on this?

I agree. I watched it too. Thought provoking and inspiring.

I've read the OP, the article by Spiers and quite a bit of the NUFC and Pie and Bovril thread. To me it highlights what a backward, narrow-minded, parochial and generally insidious hot-bed of hatred there is that exists in the West of Scotland. It really is a cancer without cure and what makes it all the more galling and sickening is the huge numbers of 'wanna be' plastics there are on both sides of the argument living through here and supporting both Hearts and Hibs. What is wrong with these people? Do they think it's funny, clever or cool to perpetuate this poisonous attitude?

To top it all we have a divided media, a spineless Government and an impotent Footballing authority unable and unwilling to tackle the two main culprits head on preferring to have charters and pronouncements.

I wonder what the hundreds of thousands of young men that laid down there lives without question would make of it all today?

This country is fecked.

Great post. I completely agree. :)

The minute's applause got a mention on one of the bigger Leeds United internet forums, and the response was very negative. But to be perfectly honest, news of it didn't really spread in England.

The forum I picked this up from was one of the bigger English boards. It certainly spread, and was widely condemned.

Archived