The Glory Hunters.

Munch

It's the first time my group of friends "couldn't be arsed" in the best part of 20yrs my friend. Come on, I thought the situation was obvious, isn't it?

For the record the boozer is nice and warm.......come and join us....

It's not a criticism. People are entitled to spend their cash any way they want, and if they'd rather sit in the pub than go to a game then that's their choice. Beats me how they can then moan about performances that they haven't seen though, given how rarely we're on the tellybox. But heyho.

And thanks for the invitation, but I still thoroughly enjoy watching Hearts...I think they're currently playing some nice football and I like being there to witness it, and to support them. Those 90 minutes are never about Romanov.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the annoying thing is, the stay-aways are on a win-win situation here (of sorts)...

if and when hearts improve to an extent that the crowds come back, they will scuttle back and claim it was them voting with their feet that forced a re-think in the boardroom.

if hearts were to go bristols up, they will point the accusing finger at the ones who stuck with the club as the ones who 'fiddled while rome burned'.

FACT(ish)

Guest Fabuloso
It's not a criticism. People are entitled to spend their cash any way they want, and if they'd rather sit in the pub than go to a game then that's their choice. Beats me how they can then moan about performances that they haven't seen though, given how rarely we're on the tellybox. But heyho.

And thanks for the invitation, but I still thoroughly enjoy watching Hearts...I think they're currently playing some nice football and I like being there to witness it, and to support them. Those 90 minutes are never about Romanov.

They are though aren't they? I won't say you're easily pleased however I respect your decision.

MacDonald Jardine
Surely you know many people who haven't renewed this season?? I'm talking about long term ST holders (myself included) who didn't renew. I'm into double figures off the top of my head.

As for your first point I'm not denying the numbers, but the rate at which they occurred. Does this not suggest something to you? Believe me, they'll drop considerably next season too if nothing upstairs changes.

Not really.

There's a group of 9 folk who've had the same seats since they built the Wheatfield. All renewed this year.

There were two beside me who had STs the last 2 years. They haven't.

I'm not saying some don't fall into your category but most have dropped off because of results IMO.

MacDonald Jardine
Xakly CJ, the OF were down to crowds of under 15thou the last time they had a baron spell when Sir Alex Ferguson's Dons humped them in the 80's

That made me Vewy,Vewy Pwoud.

What does that prove?

Why are OF fans who stop going when results are bad worse than Hearts fans who do the same?

And for all these who say there's no glory, we probably look quite successful to an East Stirling or Alloa fan.

Just one look at JK suggests we have a problem on our hands. Is it too much to comprehend (not you personally) that people might be a little disillusioned and perhaps think "**** it"?

Actually, I find JKB very unlike the real world.

My local pub is buzzing before the games and people always look pleased to be there.

After the game? Usually (in the last two years) a few long faces, but a beer later and the laughter starts back.

I think the football is pretty crap, and I'm pig sick of what Romanov has done to blow the good work and promises we had in 2005/06 but following Hearts is my thing and my choice. Staying in the pub is yours.

You don't envy me and I don't envy you.

Neither of us are protesting against Vlad; or at least, not in my book we aren't.

Buffalo Bill

Guest Fabuloso
Not really.

There's a group of 9 folk who've had the same seats since they built the Wheatfield. All renewed this year.

There were two beside me who had STs the last 2 years. They haven't.

I'm not saying some don't fall into your category but most have dropped off because of results IMO.

Results caused a 20% drop in attendances over one summer? Surely you don't believe this? Do you?

Guest Fabuloso
Actually, I find JKB very unlike the real world.

My local pub is buzzing before the games and people always look pleased to be there.

After the game? Usually (in the last two years) a few long faces, but a beer later and the laughter starts back.

I think the football is pretty crap, and I'm pig sick of what Romanov has done to blow the good work and promises we had in 2005/06 but following Hearts is my thing and my choice. Staying in the pub is yours.

You don't envy me and I don't envy you.

Neither of us are protesting against Vlad; or at least, not in my book we aren't.

Buffalo Bill

It could be so much better though couldn't it? You know it's true BB.

things could be a lot better at an awful lot of clubs. i don't see very many angry mobs with pitch forks and flaming torches hunting down club owners throughout the land.

Guest Fabuloso
things could be a lot better at an awful lot of clubs. i don't see very many angry mobs with pitch forks and flaming torches hunting down club owners throughout the land.

.......and so the apathy raises its ugly head at last!

If you're happy, I'm happy.

portobellojambo1

That statement could be relayed in relation to every single season though, and could be used by the fans of every single football club.

People have choices, you either go or you don't.

If people don't want to go that is their choice, I am one of those that chooses to go every week, whether it be home, away, Europe, friendlies.

As a result of going every week I have not had to cut back on my alcohol intake, miss out on meeting with friends or any other interraction that I could possibly indulge in otherwise.

Game days are for football, you can then argue the toss over the performance, and all other aspects on non game days.

ELIBURN JAMBO(THE ORIGINA

Thats because most other clubs aren't owned by a 2 faced lying eastern european full of shi*e I'll destroy decades of history but not give a fuc* while my sheep still come flocking cap in hand con man:mad:

MacDonald Jardine
Results caused a 20% drop in attendances over one summer? Surely you don't believe this? Do you?

You're missing the point.

After the 2006 season ST sales went through the roof.

They hit a level way beyond anything we'd had before.

They held up remarkably well last season. Therefore attendance figures didn't drop although it was obvious a lot of the time that the figures were inaccurate.

This year the newer ST holders (for want of a better expression) have not renewed.

We now have smaller crowds than the last 2 years.

Is it not amazing if all these loyal fans are so disillusioned they've stopped going that we still have more ST holders than we did in 1998/99?

.......and so the apathy raises its ugly head at last!

If you're happy, I'm happy.

apathy? i think not.

perspective. i think yes.

They are though aren't they? I won't say you're easily pleased however I respect your decision.

You don't have to be easily pleased to want to support your team. Tell me why any supporter outwith the OF clubs would go to watch their team otherwise? Furthermore, I actually do happen to think we're playing some nice football...and I'm not alone...if my opinion isn't enough, you just need to look to the various match reports and TV pundits who seem to agree. Not that I normally pay much attention to them but I'll make an exception this time for the purposes of debate. ;)

You can sit in the pub and tell yourself that you're not missing out if you like. But you're wrong, I'm afraid.

MacDonald Jardine
Thats because most other clubs aren't owned by a 2 faced lying eastern european full of shi*e I'll destroy decades of history but not give a fuc* while my sheep still come flocking cap in hand con man:mad:

So a Scottish **** up is okay?

Guest Fabuloso

I couldn't put it better myself my good man!

you might have some sort of point if hearts were in a significantly worse state than they were pre-romanov.

we aren't.

you might have some sort of point if hearts were in a significantly worse state than they were pre-romanov.

we aren't.

We knew going along to the games who was picking the team and buying players i.e. you know the manager,does that happen now mmmmm!

Guest Fabuloso
You're missing the point.

After the 2006 season ST sales went through the roof.

They hit a level way beyond anything we'd had before.

They held up remarkably well last season. Therefore attendance figures didn't drop although it was obvious a lot of the time that the figures were inaccurate.

This year the newer ST holders (for want of a better expression) have not renewed.

We now have smaller crowds than the last 2 years.

Is it not amazing if all these loyal fans are so disillusioned they've stopped going that we still have more ST holders than we did in 1998/99?

Yes that's amazing. Let's talk next season.

We knew going along to the games who was picking the team and buying players i.e. you know the manager,does that happen now mmmmm!

scottish cup final, manager valdas ivanauskas, was he picking the team?, where you there celebrating?

Whats the Eastern European part got to do with anything?

So, what does that make us ST holders all these years? People who don`t have a clue about football ?

People who like pesh football?

People who are wasting their dough?

It`s alright saying the stay away fans are the "saviours" (boak) of the club but if we all stayed away there would defo be no club.

Like it or not, agree or not, there is an element of glory hunting in the Hearts support. The fans who came back two years ago only came back because the team was genuinely good and had a real chance in the league.

Now, they have no staying power or the constitution to brave it through a tough(ish) period.

I`m not having a go at genuine fans who have followed the team for years and have finally had enough for a season, but more the ones who turn up every 4 or 5 seasons because we`ve suddenly produced an excellent team.

IMO you shouldn't be having a go at any fans.

As I see it its like any business........."having a go at customers" is entirely looking at the problem in the wrong way round.

If I lose customers from my business I take it personally and analyse what I or my company is doing wrong. My ex customers are not to blame, that would be arrogant of me to assume.

:(

scottish cup final, manager valdas ivanauskas, was he picking the team?, where you there celebrating?

Was i there celebrating? Well of course I was,did it give me the same feeling as 98? No where close. Has Romanov made a lot of fans feel passionless for the club...........YES!

Guest Fabuloso

we aren't.

The fans certainly are.

Was i there celebrating? Well of course I was,did it give me the same feeling as 98? No where close. Has Romanov made a lot of fans feel passionless for the club...........YES!

not the same feeling??? no offence but i don't believe you.

Exactly there are so many fans now through no fault of there own have lost the feeling they had for the club pre 2006 scottish cup win

Guest Fabuloso

This is an interesting point. I feel exactly the same way and it's not because 98 was the first time in 40 odd yrs....

not the same feeling??? no offence but i don't believe you.

Are you for real? If you want to run a poll and ask jambos that were at both finals what one gave them the best feeling of euphoria then 2006 wouldn't get a fekin look in.

No I'm not.

The drop in rate over one summer is basically taking us to the level we were at pre Vlad.

As I pointed our earlier the signs are that it's not even taken us that far.

It would appear that even the reduced attendances remain significantly higher than they were immediately pre-Vlad (or pre -Skacel to be more accurate )

Guest Fabuloso
are they? maybe some are, they must speak for themselves, they can't speak for all fans.

You know I'm right. Admit it and we'll call it a night?

Are you for real? If you want to run a poll and ask jambos that were at both finals what one gave them the best feeling of euphoria then 2006 wouldn't get a fekin look in.

eh are you for real?

do you not think that might have something to do with the '98 win being the first trophy win that many would have seen hearts win?

anyway, you stick to what you believe and i'll do likewise.

:laugh:

You have to be kidding. You think the difference between 1998 and 2006 was Romanov?!

eh are you for real?

do you not think that might have something to do with the '98 win being the first trophy win that many would have seen hearts win?

anyway, you stick to what you believe and i'll do likewise.

Correct thats why I said 98 was miles better doh!:eek:

Goodmorningmrfisherman

Tell you one thing though,the guys I know who didn't renew over the past couple of years have seen us play a hell of a lot worse than this over the past 35 years than the past couple and crap football didnt stop them renewing then.

What did was the amount of players in the past couple of years who did not or do not now give a toss about pulling on the mighty maroon top.

At least the old brigade no matter how poor had pride in the strip and gave some EFFORT.

Also those faces will be at Remembrance Sunday no matter whats going on pitchside because even though they have lost faith in the way things have been going one thing will always unite them.

:laugh:

You have to be kidding. You think the difference between 1998 and 2006 was Romanov?!

Did i say that????

Correct thats why I said 98 was miles better doh!:eek:

eh no you didn't. you never cited that as the reason, you implied the reason to be something about fans losing feeling for the club.

come on now, let's not start twisting the thread!!!

Guest Fabuloso
Tell you one thing though,the guys I know who didn't renew over the past couple of years have seen us play a hell of a lot worse than this over the past 35 years than the past couple and crap football didnt stop them renewing then.

What did was the amount of players in the past couple of years who did not or do not now give a toss about pulling on the mighty maroon top.

At least the old brigade no matter how poor had pride in the strip and gave some EFFORT.

Also those faces will be at Remembrance Sunday no matter whats going on pitchside because even though they have lost faith in the way things have been going one thing will always unite them.

Post of the evening. I thank you. Goodnight.

MacDonald Jardine
Yes that's amazing. Let's talk next season.

What about next season?

Your point started as we've lost 20% of our support in one summer and it's because of people taking a stance against Romanov and not gloryhunters dropping off.

What does next season have to do with it?

It's a results based decision though. If Hearts were Champions, the stadium would be full - regardless of Vlad's antics.

The bottom line is results.

Buffalo Bill

I doubt EVERY player who has played for Hearts over the years has done so due to pride in the shirt and Ill also bet some didnt all always give 100% effort.

There have been far worse players than the current lot but they didnt have the Vlad factor to put up with.

But I do agree with you there are fans who have watched worse and not renewed this season due to recent bad feeling and poor performances. That is their chocie and Im not knocking them for it.

I dont think poor team performances have been about lack of pride or lack of effort but a lack of stability at the club and lack of ability. Lack of ability has been present in Hearts teams for many years by the way (other than THAT season)....instability has occurred for whatever reason...we all know there are differing views on this.

To me there is no black and white in this situation.

Folk can say what they like but some players do get excessive criticism and abuse merely cos theyre Lithuanian and by default connected to Vlad.

Charlie-Brown

I have been at Hearts games with less than 1K attended - 539 at Clydebank in 1984.

I have been at Tynecastle when less than 2K attended a home SPL match - 1800 v Kilmarnock in 1981.

I have been at Hampden with over 35-40K Hearts fans.

Robbo, Mackay, Levein & Colquhoun often played to crowds below 10K at home matches.

Hearts support has always risen & fallen as long as I can remember.

We were good then, we're sh*te now thats why the crowds have dropped, could be even lower next season with the style of toothless football this season.

We were good then, we're sh*te now thats why the crowds have dropped, could be even lower next season with the style of toothless football this season.

Wouldnt say we're ****e, perhaps ****e in comparison to the team wi Skacel etc but not ****e compared to other teams outwith the OF.

Alternatively we could get a decent striker in who'll finish the chances were creating and the opposite of the last part of your post could happen.

bigis semiauskas
What does that prove?

Why are OF fans who stop going when results are bad worse than Hearts fans who do the same?

And for all these who say there's no glory, we probably look quite successful to an East Stirling or Alloa fan.

Because in their words' we are the greatest fans in the world'

Goodmorningmrfisherman
I doubt EVERY player who has played for Hearts over the years has done so due to pride in the shirt and Ill also bet some didnt all always give 100% effort.

There have been far worse players than the current lot but they didnt have the Vlad factor to put up with.

But I do agree with you there are fans who have watched worse and not renewed this season due to recent bad feeling and poor performances. That is their chocie and Im not knocking them for it.

I dont think poor team performances have been about lack of pride or lack of effort but a lack of stability at the club and lack of ability. Lack of ability has been present in Hearts teams for many years by the way (other than THAT season)....instability has occurred for whatever reason...we all know there are differing views on this.

To me there is no black and white in this situation.

Folk can say what they like but some players do get excessive criticism and abuse merely cos theyre Lithuanian and by default connected to Vlad.

Can I just add im not having a go at any nationality in particular(seen lots of effort at riccarton in my time)but the **** behind the scene can't help the current crop.

Can I just add im not having a go at any nationality in particular(seen lots of effort at riccarton in my time)but the **** behind the scene can't help the current crop.

That wasnt aimed at you mate just saying that it does happen.

Archived