The Glory Hunters.

Munch

2 Seasons ago we sold out all season tickets, and we had a waiting list of around 5 thousand.

Where have the glory hunters disappeared too, and when are they likely to return ?

image002_thumb.jpg

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ToadKiller Dog
2 Seasons ago we sold out all season tickets, and we had a waiting list of around 5 thousand.

Where have the glory hunters disappeared too, and when are they likely to return ?

They are not Glory hunters but in fact saviours of the club who drew a line in the sand that Vlad could not cross ,but he did just a pity a wave came and washed away that line.

A good cup run or a run of exceptional form some will be back.

badly drawn boy

Never understood how anyone with a Hearts allegiance could be called a glory hunter

If i was hunting glory , HMFC would be a curios choice

Every club has a fanbase that in part, drifts away when the team is crap and comes back when they're performing well (or have reached a cup final).

I'm sure many of us know people who'll now say they're "not going back until Romanov leaves".

I knew guys who said the same about The Pieman and about Wallace Mercer. It's just a fact of life.

When Celtic fill the Roseburn at the weekend, and begin belting out song which celebrate terrorist murders against innocent human beings, only man is to blame.

But he'll be in his own little world 1057 miles away.

Buffalo Bill

Two years ago HoMFC had a sell-able product, I liked it and bought it!

I detest Hearts getting beat and when the beatings started from within, I didn't like it and didn't buy it, Simple really!

I am sure you probably know the answer :rolleyes:

Forever Maroon
Never understood how anyone with a Hearts allegiance could be called a glory hunter

If i was hunting glory , HMFC would be a curios choice

Excellent point !

Glory hunters? Celtic and Rangers for definite, maybe Aberdeen in the early 1980s (they're not famous anymore).

But Hearts? Hearts??? Are you mad? Have you been a supporter only since '98 or something?

Sheesh, first bit of 'glory' I remember, other than the '76 cup final defeat and THAT game against Loko Leipzig, was when big Frank Liddell back-heided us to the first division championship (1980?). For big time glory I had to wait until 1998, when I was on the verge on turning 30 ...

Glory there has been, but thin gruel for 'glory hunters'.

:laugh: Lol, Hearts would be a strange choice for anyone wanting to become a glory hunter. Celtic, Man U, Chelsea... Na, Hearts! For de glory! :D

The more likely scenario is punters have been turned away through years of chronically pish football and have chosen to spend their money on other things, things they enjoy!

Am I a glory hunter? 20 years a season ticket holder, I made a choice not to get one this season......................

I'm a better fan:blahblah:

:laugh: Lol, Hearts would be a strange choice for anyone wanting to become a glory hunter. Celtic, Man U, Chelsea... Na, Hearts! For de glory! :D

The more likely scenario is punters have been turned away through years of chronically pish football and have chosen to spend their money on other things, things they enjoy!

I don't think that's correct at all.

It's more likely that they disagree with the way Vlad is running the club than being turned off by bad football. Plenty teams have played dull football and been successfull and not seen crowd numbers drop.

Look at Hibs for example, they have not had a drop in numbers since they became a hoofball team when Buster Bloodvessell became manager.

Guest JamboRobbo
Am I a glory hunter? 20 years a season ticket holder, I made a choice not to get one this season......................

I'm a better fan:blahblah:

if my complicated calculations are correct, thats 1 cup per 10 years following the club. Glory Hunter. :P

Which one is your team ?

:rolleyes:

if my complicated calculations are correct, thats 1 cup per 10 years following the club. Glory Hunter. :P

I said season ticket holder, I've been going to games since I was 7 year old. A total of 24 years.

Taking your argument, where are the 30,000+ that want to go to cup finals, where are they every week

Reality is, what does it matter, we should be grateful that we have a decent strong fan base and like any football fans we are fickle. Do you remember the 8,000 (total capacity) at Ibrox in the mid 80's?

Ah the " We'll support you ever more " brigade.

Only when we are winning though.

;)

I don't think that's correct at all.

It's more likely that they disagree with the way Vlad is running the club than being turned off by bad football. Plenty teams have played dull football and been successfull and not seen crowd numbers drop.

Look at Hibs for example, they have not had a drop in numbers since they became a hoofball team when Buster Bloodvessell became manager.

I think it's very likely, I don't remember Hearts ever filling their stadium unless they've been near the top of the league. The last time i can remember was 1998 and in the period between then and 2004 i dont remember too many sellouts. Like it or not, nobody wants to pay money to see their team slug it out to be an also-ran.

Also, it is likely the ridiculous prices to watch crappy jobby scottish football are putting folk of in times of the credit crunch.

I think for many the Vlad thing is an excuse.

OK I do believe the vast majority would like to see the back of him but still believe that the near 17,000 crowds we got every week which must be down by 3,000 would not be down by nearly as much if we were sitting near the top of the league and competing. In Vlads second season the number continued to stay the same until we had a horrendous season and only the 8th place finish of last year has prompted a big drop.

I would then suggest it is far more to do with league position and winning games than Vlad although I do accept the feelgood factor has left the club and we have become the joke of Scottish football

I think it's very likely, I don't remember Hearts ever filling their stadium unless they've been near the top of the league. The last time i can remember was 1998 and in the period between then and 2004 i dont remember too many sellouts. Like it or not, nobody wants to pay money to see their team slug it out to be an also-ran.

Also, it is likely the ridiculous prices to watch crappy jobby scottish football are putting folk of in times of the credit crunch.

So, what your saying is some people only go when we're good? ;)

Guest JamboRobbo
I said season ticket holder, I've been going to games since I was 7 year old. A total of 24 years.

So you went through your first four years as a Jambo without a ST? Where's your commitment? :P;)

Pubs / restaurants become lax in their atention to their customers .............result, the punters drift away !

Football is saved only because 'it's not quite as simple as that' and as one poster put it "people dont have their ashes scattered in the aisles at Tesco's"

The honest truth is that many of the people who 'staunchly' remain are out for a Saturday bash and I'd gamble AT LEAST 50% of the day is just about getting pashed with a bunch of like minded mates :eek:

The Mighty Thor

I think Coco's point is valid. The 'entertainment' factor has been non-existent in the last 2 seasons.

2005/6 was a fabulous season and the hype and interest around hearts at that time was incredible. it was also un-sustainable.

Factor in the fact that we have a squad which in my opinion is worse than the one Romanov inherited in 2005, the farcical managerial situation the over-riding issue that Romanov is a lunatic and you're getting close to reasons why people won't shellout ?400.

I can watch players the standard of 26/29/Kello etc up at Newtongrange Star or Tranent Juniors on a sat for a couple of quid.

So, what your saying is some people only go when we're good? ;)

Only sometimes. When it's not raining. Or windy.

Uberfans go all the time though. In fact they never leave the stadium. They live there 24/7.

Pubs / restaurants become lax in their atention to their customers .............result, the punters drift away !

Football is saved only because 'it's not quite as simple as that' and as one poster put it "people dont have their ashes scattered in the aisles at Tesco's"

The honest truth is that many of the people who 'staunchly' remain are out for a Saturday bash and I'd gamble AT LEAST 50% of the day is just about getting pashed with a bunch of like minded mates :eek:

Yep you are spot on. I will always be at the games when i can make it/afford it. for me the banter in the boozer before and after the games is always quality. Especially away games. its all about getting oot your tree and having a good time. just an excuse for a bevvy i suppose

51 Shirts -Moments in Time

I am a gloryhunter.

Only seen it twice though 1998 & 2006.

Cmon the Hearts

JJ

Some people weren't getting the entertainment that they had seen in 2005-6. So they go somewhere else for entertainment.

Cala bingo?!:rolleyes:

I like going to watch Hearts whether we are pi sh or not.

I also totally understand people not wanting to go to watch Hearts when we are rubbish, which makes me a considerable better fan than all of you.

So there!

Every team has 'glory hunters' thats just the way things are . A club has x amount of die hards who will watch their club no matter what. The rest of the support will be more casual and will only be tempted to go on a regular basis if the team is winning/entertaining. The problem on a football message board is that to be interested enough to sign up and spend your time debating Hearts then you are by definition a die hard. Most die hards cant understand why other fans can not go to the football on a Saturday and therefore think these fans are glory hunters or part timers.

It happens at all clubs take a look at Rangers crowds in the early/mid eighties or Man Utds in the late eighties. Every club would like all their fans to want to go to all their games but thats never going to happen. As to when said 'glory hunters' will return I think it is pretty obvious - when there is glory or at least the realistic chance of glory on offer.

So you went through your first four years as a Jambo without a ST? Where's your commitment? :P;)

Too busy spilling blood........................:P;)

I like going to watch Hearts whether we are pi sh or not..

I like watching hearts when they're pish. I love watching them when they're good and I think that goes for most people.

It's hardly surprising that Attendance increase in good seasons and decrease in bad ones.

What is striking is that even after a dissapointing 06/07 season and a truly wretched 07/08 season a significant part of the "Glory hunting" rise in attendances has been maintained.

The Average for the first 5 home games of 2004/05 was 12,171 and the average for the first 5 Category B games was 11,285.

There hasn't been a Category A home game yet this season and the average attendance has been 13,584. an overall rise of 12% or 20% depending which reference point you wish to take.

We haven't got a lot of data to play with so one shouldn't put to much weight behind this finding and it's difficult to compare like for like. Butwhen you consider that Hearts had qualified for Europe in 2003/04 and beat Braga in September the overall increase in attendances looks even more anomolous.

It would appear that there are a lot of people who were brought in because hearts were good and went on to find that they still like watching them, as craigieboy says, "whether they're p ish of not".

These people may have arrived as "glory hunters" but if they endured last season then they surely have earned the right to be called "real fans"

Those Attendances at Tynecastle

14 Aug 2004: 13,864 (Aberdeen)

21 Aug 2004: 11,403 (Kilmarnock)

12 Sep 2004: 14,601 (Rangers)

25 Sep 2004: 10,340 (Inverness)

03 Oct 2004: 10,646 (Livingston)

24 Oct 2004: 16,720 (Hibs)

30 Oct 2004: 10,172 (Dundee)

09 Aug 2008: 14,219 (Motherwell)

23 Aug 2008: 13,357 (Saint Mirren)

20 Sep 2008: 12,890 (Inverness)

04 Oct 2008: 13,189 (Kilmarnock)

25 Oct 2008: 14,265 (Aberdeen)

been a jambo all of my life

had a season ticket for as long as i can remember.

i didn't renew because:

a) the club was a ****ing shambles last year, and i didn't agree with what was happening

and

B) just couldn't afford it really

Judging by some threads on here it appears that many are flocking to Parkhead every week :sad:

Jimmy McNulty

Those Attendances at Tynecastle

14 Aug 2004: 13,864 (Aberdeen)

21 Aug 2004: 11,403 (Kilmarnock)

12 Sep 2004: 14,601 (Rangers)

25 Sep 2004: 10,340 (Inverness)

03 Oct 2004: 10,646 (Livingston)

24 Oct 2004: 16,720 (Hibs)

30 Oct 2004: 10,172 (Dundee)

09 Aug 2008: 14,219 (Motherwell)

23 Aug 2008: 13,357 (Saint Mirren)

20 Sep 2008: 12,890 (Inverness)

04 Oct 2008: 13,189 (Kilmarnock)

25 Oct 2008: 14,265 (Aberdeen)

Didnt we used to get 28,000 against Hibs, Celtic and Rangers? Them were the days...

Walter Bishop

Glory Hunters? Just fed up!!

Didnt we used to get 28,000 against Hibs, Celtic and Rangers? Them were the days...

Yes, before the new stands were built. Support then was around the likes of 22,000-29,000 v Celtic, Rangers & Hibs, depending on how well we were doing in the League and between 15,000 & 20,000 v Aberdeen.

Historical average attendances for Hearts and Hibs.

Attendances_thumb.GIF

Originaly produced for another thread hence not up to date and the inclusion of Hibs.

It's a fairly pointless discussion. A lot more "fans" started making the effort to get to Tynecastle in 05/06 as we were both entertaining and successful and that's what you would expect.

It's redundant to say that people stopped coming because Vlad self combusted however as those who stopped coming when the entertainment stopped only began making the effort because Vlad was backing the team financially to allow us to watch the likes of Skacel, Fysass and Jankauskis.

It's a fairly pointless discussion. A lot more "fans" started making the effort to get to Tynecastle in 05/06 as we were both entertaining and successful and that's what you would expect.

It's redundant to say that people stopped coming because Vlad self combusted however as those who stopped coming when the entertainment stopped only began making the effort because Vlad was backing the team financially to allow us to watch the likes of Skacel, Fysass and Jankauskis.

There has been an oversimplification running through all this thread. While some of a decrease in attendances is down to people who "stop going", much of it will be people who still go but less often.

For some obsessives this will mean that they no longer feel sufficiently enthusiastic to travel up to Aberdeen and Inverness. For others it will mean they're picking and choosing their matches, fitting it around their other activities as opposed to fitting the rest of their weekends around Hearts. People who get along to half a dozen games in a vintage season might only make three or four in a more mundane one.

One thing that looking at old attendance figures showed was that despite there being some monstorously big crowds for big matches in the mid '80s the average attendance for that peak wasn't much bigger than those for the Scottish Cup winning peaks in the following two decades showing that the crowds for minor opposition were in fact lower back then

e.g. 12,071 against Motherwell in March 1986 when we were top of the league with 8 games left, 13,287 at the next home game against Saint Mirren.

Had a season ticket in the Wheatfield since it was built....Before that you never needed a season ticket (Just like this season!!), Went home and away every game, have been 9 times to Europe since 1988...Never got a season ticket this season or last...Glory Hunter or Just someone fed up with Madfud and his inbred son making a Joke of my club...Oh and TBH, the way Scottish football is run, corrupt to the ****in core so whats the point?

Enjoy my Saturdays in the Pub with the mates and Soccer Saturday :)

We're playing ra sellik this weekend. I know let's start a thread having digs at fellow Hearts fans.

What a ridiculous thread.

They'll return as soon as it looks like we're getting close to winning a trophy.

:4_1_72::4_1_72:

They'll return as soon as it looks like we're getting close to winning a trophy.

Like That'll happen while Madfud's in charge!! :mad:

Or do you mean Rankgers winning a Trophy...Can never tell wae you!! :P

"Madfud" was "in charge" when we won the Scottish Cup and got into the UEFA Champions League. Or do you think he was only "in charge" when we got bad results? :rolleyes:

:4_1_72::4_1_72:

Whether or not you think it will happen, Therapist is correct.

Buffalo Bill

chester copperpot

I have a ST, decided to pick and choose my home games, not because of the football on offer, but the fact the average fan inside Tynecastle is a moaning faced ****.

Have been to every away game this season, and will go to every away game, as you get a better laugh, better pish up and all round better time away from home these days.

I just enjoy the away games much much better than the home games, and for me, I never thought I'd hear myself say that.

Guest jambomickey
I have a ST, decided to pick and choose my home games, not because of the football on offer, but the fact the average fan inside Tynecastle is a moaning faced ****.

Have been to every away game this season, and will go to every away game, as you get a better laugh, better pish up and all round better time away from home these days.

I just enjoy the away games much much better than the home games, and for me, I never thought I'd hear myself say that.

why is that andy? serious question mate

Archived