platonic relationhips?

chewbacca

I cannae be bothered reading the whole thread but I have loads of plutonic friendships. It's easy. Just tonight I've been out for drinks and a meal with two birds and neither of us wants to sleep with each other (unless they've got some lesbian **** going on that I don't know about).

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
suzie_preston
So can you been friends with Ex's then?

IMO,Yes so long as you have both moved on, though I think it has to be quite a long time after the relationship has finished.

If the relationship was a long term one then you have to have more than just sex so take the sexual feelings away and you should still have some common interests :P

Do you not agree?:eek:

Also I have male friends who if asked I would probably say are attractive, but that doesn't mean I'm only friends with them because I want to sleep with them.

This thread has so little logic in it it's unreal.

But you totally failed to grasp that concept is about men, and not women...

They are possibly the exception, as the sex thing has already been dealt with.

Generic Username

I don't associate with any of my ex's.

They are ex's for a reason.

Johanes de Silentio

Weird - today, after posting on this thread, I bumped into a female friend I haven't seen for yonks. It was nice to see her, and we speak about loads of stuff.

I just couldn't stop thinking about her chebs, though!

I'm also wondering if a pump's out of the question?

Probably!

I'm a very sad man, but I'm no liar!

I live with a straight male flatmate and neither of us would dream of doing anything. I'm still friends with the group of folk I went to school with, about an equal mix of girls and guys. Believe it or not, it is actually possible.

Yes but have you asked him that ?

For all you know it is him who started the thread. :)

Jimmy McNulty

So let me get this right: At one point in the evening, you woke with a lady asleep in your arms. Now, she is in a bed and you are on the couch.

This would imply that one of you made ac conscious decision for her to sleep in the bed. If it was her ? not a good signal.

If it was you, you deserve a smack around the head 

Geoff Kilpatrick

This thread is destined for the "Classic" board! :laugh:

And it's also one of those threads where those who use their real name should say nothing! ;)

I have had many platonic relationships with the female of the species. And I have to admit most of them are no longer - mainly due to my unbelieveable urge to try and get them pumped! tee hee

Joking aside - if I was friends with a lass and there was a mutual attraction then I believe that something would happen at some point - so my advice is leave things be, if it is meant to happen it will.....if not, put the ear plugs in when she is getting pumped off somone else! :)

For some reason or another I seem to get on awfy well with girls...always have done. Think it's good to have them around 'cos you can get their perspective on things (ie: i want to pump your mate, has she got a bloke?). :)

My proper best mate though, as i'm sure i wrote on a thread a while back, is the hottest girl i've ever met, she's funny, smart and possesses the filthiest mind i've come across (no pun intended...) we've done the whole drunken snogging and groping stuff for years and it's not affected us, she knows I fancy the arse of her but it hasn't changed a thing between us.

To answer the OPs question though, may as well let her know what you think - she might be flattered, but unless you make a total t!t of yourself it shouldnt ruin things :)

This thread's a hoot! Dr B's just being provocative, of course: anyone who thinks there is literally one rule for all men and one rule for all women is clearly kidding themselves. Perhaps many men do fancy all their female friends; certainly not all of us, though.

The Old Tolbooth
This thread is destined for the "Classic" board! :laugh:

And it's also one of those threads where those who use their real name should say nothing! ;)

:bravo:

:zip:

I'm a female and I've got loads of close male friends and my first thought was to say this thread was a load of rubbish, but thinking about it the closest friends have all been in relationships since I met them so there's never been a time that we have both been single that would complicate the relationship - allowing proper friendships to develop and now I have a group of guys (initially friends from going to Hearts games) who I am very close friends with, and have been for almost 20 years since we were all teenagers. People do find it weird even now, and we still have to explain to people that there is no shagging going on .........

If I am honest, there's a high percentage (but not all) of other male friends outside my core 'group' who, when we have both been single, have said or done something (always when alcohol involved) to try it on, without any encouragement from me. Only once have I done something about it (ie someone who I only liked as a friend) - drunken snog was all it was but the friendship never the same as I was always wary of his intentions.

To say that they wouldn't choose to be my friend because I am female is a load of nonsense tho - I've grown up in a male dominated environment due to subjects I've done at school, going to football and jobs I have done. The guys I am closest friends with CHOOSE to be my friend because we have the same interests, make each other laugh, and I don't dodge my rounds :). They also like having me around as I am always the only one who remembers everything from nights out so can settle arguments on what had happened.

To the opening poster, I have been in a similar situation to yours - the day after the 96 Scottish cup final me and all the guys went out for an all day sesh, ended up at a club then one of the guys came back to my flat. We crashed out on the sofa (watching football videos, how romantic ... I can see how he thought I was into him :cool:), his arms around me and I was so tired could have slept but he said my name in a way I just could tell his intentions had shifted so I went into the spare room and slept (fully clothed in case he went wandering in his sleep). I defintely didn't want to go there and didn't want a drunken incident to ruin a good friendship so it sounds like yours might be a similar situation.

If you can't handle being only friends then you have nothing to lose by declaring your feelings to be honest - but be prepared to have her cool off the friendship if she's not interested.

Lol, to all the female here who have male friends, don't show them this thread! With all the stuff about guys just having female friends with a view to 'gettting them pumped' (shivers), yer bloke is not going to trust you around them again. Own goal - ;)

This thread's a hoot! Dr B's just being provocative, of course: anyone who thinks there is literally one rule for all men and one rule for all women is clearly kidding themselves. Perhaps many men do fancy all their female friends; certainly not all of us, though.

Really?

Really?

Yes, really. And moreover, thinking your girlfriend is attractive (which anyone would think) is not the same as fancying her: it's equivalent to finding a painting beautiful, I'd say.

A pumping daft civilisation!

I'm seriously going to have to list that as a hobby on my CV.

"So, it says on your application that you're..........."pumping er, daft?!?"

:laugh:

so then why do have female friends who i dont find attractive?

Im so confused :confused:

So am I, replace them for good looking girls pronto.

Toxteth O'Grady
Yes, really. And moreover, thinking your girlfriend is attractive (which anyone would think) is not the same as fancying her: it's equivalent to finding a painting beautiful, I'd say.

Would I be correct in assuming that you have been to Tynie more recently than getting your last legover?:P

blondejamtart

I think platonic relationships are possible, if very few and far between, but then, I've never really subscribed to the myth that all women need to be emotionally involved with someone to have a sexual relationship with them. I think a hell of a lot of women do confuse sex with love and think you can't have one without the other - and the ones who don't think that way (or think more like a man, if you like), earn themselves a bad reputation for their pains!

As to the OP - well hell, why not just become **** buddies? :whistling:

Holy crap!

it`s amazing how a self indulgent half ****ed half stoned post can result in a 4 page thread, i`ve had a skip through it and i am most thankful for everyones points of view.

special mention to the first "get her pumped" post.

As i say i was in a frame of mind that probably side stepped my usual dead reckoning and cold logic approach to women, or is that i`ve not had any for a while? But to be honest i`ll put the whole incident to too much drink, too much flirting and a bout of insomnia on my part.

Glad the night ended the way it did, if I`d done anything i would`ve regretted it and probably lost a good friend. Will avoid such situations in the future....but if she starts something with me....well then it wouldn`t be my fault and my conscience would be clear

Johanes de Silentio

Get her pumped, Chewie - for our sake if not for yours or hers - you know it makes sense - get her pumped!

The Old Tolbooth
Get her pumped, Chewie - for our sake if not for yours or hers - you know it makes sense - get her pumped!

Also, we want all the gory details when you do :P

Toxteth O'Grady
I think platonic relationships are possible, if very few and far between, but then, I've never really subscribed to the myth that all women need to be emotionally involved with someone to have a sexual relationship with them. I think a hell of a lot of women do confuse sex with love and think you can't have one without the other - and the ones who don't think that way (or think more like a man, if you like), earn themselves a bad reputation for their pains!

I just knew you would talk sense:)

For me, this is the best post on this entire thread! I salute you Blonde Jam Tart!!! :)

I think it changes from person to person, personally...

If you have good looking friends it will, undoubtedly, cross your mind at some stage that you wanna konk them.

However if your opposite sex friends look like they've come from the ugliest tree in all the land, and indeed fallen off said tree, then there won't be the physical attraction and any urge to knob them will end there.

To say all male-female friendships are sexually linked is a bit silly, but it is true in a lot of cases as well.

I agree with that apart from I dont 'knob' or 'konk'. I think there is obviously an attraction with anyone you are frinds with but doesnt mean its sexual attraction in every case.

I have quite a few male friends and I know at least half would try it on if they could, but they know I just want to stay mates so thats that. Have promised 1 if I get to 80 and single then we would do the deed. :)

As for being frends with exs, I went to my ex husbands wedding a couple of weeks ago :)

I agree with that apart from I dont 'knob' or 'konk'. I think there is obviously an attraction with anyone you are frinds with but doesnt mean its sexual attraction in every case.

You speak as a girl...not a guy.

Why would you want to go and see the man you married remarry??????

Oh and is the guy some kind of masochist? You'd think some people would learn................

The Mighty Thor
I have to admit this thread had opened my eyes :eek:

JKB public service......now you'll be wary of all your male friends.....wondering which one is thinking about it.......reading hidden meaning into every comment, searching for hidden agendas....meanwhile the poor blokes will be thinking WTF is up wi her?

Mind you any thread containing the immortal line 'get her pumped!' should open your eyes. :)

Why would you want to go and see the man you married remarry??????

Oh and is the guy some kind of masochist? You'd think some people would learn................

We have been split up for 8 years and have a son together, so always stay in touch. I have no issue with him remarrying that simple really. Platonic relationship :P

We have been split up for 8 years and have a son together, so always stay in touch. I have no issue with him remarrying that simple really. Platonic relationship :P

Which doesnt count as youv been together and done the dirty.

I can understand keeping in touch but going to his wedding!!!!

Are you a boiler????

I can understand keeping in touch but going to his wedding!!!!

Are you a boiler????

Haha I hope not! I am more than happy he has found someone else. Think maybe it depends on how you split with someone. I know plenty exs I would never want to see let alone go to their wedding, but we split up amicably and just realised we had grew apart and wanted different things. It happens and I have never regretted splitting up. Did wonder if it would feel weird at the wedding but it didnt.

*hand up*

can i get a reply to my questions on post 70 please?

Sorry to leave you hanging old chap, i will try and answer your question if i can. In my opinion you must be gay, and yes my girlfriend certainly has male friends and i bet they are all dying to get her pumped. cheers, anytime!xx

Archived