Sectarianism / Outrage.

Erik

I honestly believe the sectarian element in our support is dying each week. It's still there but it's fighting a losing battle.

Sectarian nonsense isn't really what we're about is it? Is that how we want to be known as a club?

I don't really get offended by these songs, it is more of an iritant. Nothing in these songs is applicable to me. Singing "hello hello" and saying "we're up to our knee's in fenian blood" - I'm not up to my knee's in anyone's blood and if I were what religion the person is who's blood is of zero importance.

I'd be more concerned with how on earth I ended up in such a situation than wanting to sing about it.

Please tell me you are not in Koh Samui and sitting on JKB............:eek:

Get out and see those Ladyboys..

Get them pumped !!

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
King of the North

Sectarianism/Outrage?

Not a bit of it.

Sectarianism/Embarrassment?

Absolutely.

I am proud of this club and proud of Edinburgh. It sickens and baffles me that some of my fellow fans seem to want to align themselves with Rangers.

Small minds or daft wee laddies - it is utterly pathetic that we are atill having this debate. It is clear that some posters lack the intellect to form coherent arguments, but some posters who clearly aspire to being intelligent members of this forum are presenting cack arguments in defense of the indefensible.

There is no good, acceptable reason why Hearts fans should belt out sectarian songs - it's not outrageous, it's fecking embarrassing. I am all for banter, even poisonous banter, as an integral part of football - which is why I think, for example, that Ashley Cole and Sol Campbell deserve all they get.

But it is not still 1980 - we are an Edinburgh football club and as such should be utterly above and far removed from anything either of the OF get up to. It is so obvious that a persistent element on here would love to see Tynecastle bedecked in UJs and rocking to the sound of hello hello - my question would be why?

I don't imagine many people are outraged by sectarianism, just embarrassed that their club is being dragged through the mud by the actions of a few schemies and *****. I hate the fact that the rest of scottish football views us as mini huns - we should be doing everything possible to distance ourselves from that morally bankrupt cesspit of a football club.

I honestly believe the sectarian element in our support is dying each week. It's still there but it's fighting a losing battle.

Sectarian nonsense isn't really what we're about is it? Is that how we want to be known as a club?

I don't really get offended by these songs, it is more of an iritant. Nothing in these songs is applicable to me. Singing "hello hello" and saying "we're up to our knee's in fenian blood" - I'm not up to my knee's in anyone's blood and if I were what religion the person is who's blood is of zero importance.

I'd be more concerned with how on earth I ended up in such a situation than wanting to sing about it.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this and I think it's dangerous to assume this is the case.

Over 10/15 years of going to Easter Road for every Derby, I haven't really noticed any tangible difference in the behaviour of the Hearts fans.

Tribalism and it's inevitable repercussions are still there in abundance and trips to E.R bring out some of the most "colourful" behaviour from both sets of fans.

Toxteth O'Grady
I thought the same but there was one version of tony mowbray monkey heed which i heard which had a reference to his late wife in it. I actually cringed. What an awful thing to say/sing.

I wouldn't personally disrespect dead people but I can honestly say that I have no problem with people getting bevvied and singing whatever they want, if it gets it off their chest and they don't cause any physical harm to anyone/anything then I have no problem ignoring it.

A long winded way of saying sticks and stones:)

I do agree that some things go over this 'imaginary line'. However it is not up to me to decide where this line lies. I may find something unacceptable that someone else may not - and vice versa.

No point getting too worried about it.

Anyway welcome back !!

Thanks CC. It's odd: I dunno how exactly these norms develop, but we're all aware of them (including those that cross the line, indeed). Within that line though, there's clearly loads of things that some find offensive, and others don't.

Generic Username
Please tell me you are not in Koh Samui and sitting on JKB............:eek:

Get out and see those Ladyboys..

Get them pumped !!

I'm actually back in sunny Edinburgh but haven't changed it back yet.

And I certainly won't be banging any burds with a wapper between their legs thank you very much.

It is not up to me to decide what is acceptable or not.

It's up to all of us to decide what is acceptable; so it is up to you.

Slavery, racism, child labour and sexism were all acceptable in the past. Morality is determined by humans, which is just as well given that all of the above were acceptable to Old Testament God. Your brand of relativism seems little more than dressed up moral cowardice.

And I certainly won't be banging any burds with a wapper between their legs thank you very much.

poof

Guest S.U.S.S.

Jesus, here we go again.

so if all these people have crossed the line why did i not see anybody telling other hearts fans NOT to sing Hello Hello or songs about poor wee dean?

Toxteth O'Grady
Sure. But having made such a complete erse of myself, I think it's better to front up and take the criticism I deserve in spades for being such a plank.

O.K. then explain this

" 'Hearts will be champions of Europe in 10 years' time,' the majority shareholder tells the BBC's Frontline Scotland. 'They will never lose 5-0 to Barcelona or Chelsea or any other club. I have said I will be the champion' - Vladimir Romanov, 30th November 2005 Celtic 5-0 Hearts Berra (og 9), Donati 22, Brown 61, Vennegoor of Hesselink (pen) 63, Nakamura 79 - Celtic Park, 25th August 2007 beLIEvers"

and a picture of a Hearts season ticket book lying on the ground, would I be correct in saying that it isn't your season ticket, you don't have one.

When was the last time you were at Tynecastle?

:107years:

Toxteth O'Grady
Jesus, here we go again.

so if all these people have crossed the line why did i not see anybody telling other hearts fans NOT to sing Hello Hello or songs about poor wee dean?

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet Caroline;)

Just go for the #2. Sorted. :eek:

It's up to all of us to decide what is acceptable; so it is up to you.

Slavery, racism, child labour and sexism were all acceptable in the past. Morality is determined by humans, which is just as well given that all of the above were acceptable to Old Testament God. Your brand of relativism seems little more than dressed up moral cowardice.

Moral cowardice ? That's a new one. :)

I simply don't get wound up about people's songs that they decide to sing at the football. It is not up to me to decide what is right or wrong.

I can see both points of view and I think both sides of this debate have a right to their opinion.

How very unfair of me. :rolleyes:

Jesus, here we go again.

Does that really matter? Either people believe some songs cross the line or they don't.

This is not dependent on whether they would put themselves in a potentially awkward situation at a football match.

Would you tell 10 drunken dim-wits to wrap it if they were noising you up and you were alone?

O.K. then explain this

" 'Hearts will be champions of Europe in 10 years' time,' the majority shareholder tells the BBC's Frontline Scotland. 'They will never lose 5-0 to Barcelona or Chelsea or any other club. I have said I will be the champion' - Vladimir Romanov, 30th November 2005 Celtic 5-0 Hearts Berra (og 9), Donati 22, Brown 61, Vennegoor of Hesselink (pen) 63, Nakamura 79 - Celtic Park, 25th August 2007 beLIEvers"

and a picture of a Hearts season ticket book lying on the ground, would I be correct in saying that it isn't your season ticket, you don't have one.

Every Hearts fan gets that signature on Hibs Net you plum. I went on that site for the first time in years the other day and had the sense to work that out.

O.K. then explain this

The signature and pictures are automatically added to any Jambo who joins hibs.net I'm afraid. I'm not going to say I won't post on there again (let's face it, my record isn't exactly exemplary in this regard, is it?), but I will be much more sparing and careful in what I write. Someone on here wrote last week that I'd never understand the Gorgie: I hope he's wrong about the 'never' bit, but he may well have a point more generally - and that means I need to start understanding better. A little less talking, and a little more listening is what's called for in my case.

Nope, I'm not an ST holder: I never have been. I was last at Tynie for the home game with Aberdeen last November - I stopped going after that because I refused to dignify the committee nonsense, and I'm now completely, utterly skint. That'll change in a few months, so I'll be back sometime in the New Year.

Toxteth O'Grady
Every Hearts fan gets that signature on Hibs Net you plum. I went on that site for the first time in years the other day and had the sense to work that out.

Fair enough , I don't often look there, it makes me feel dirty:)

Apologies Shaun

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

God, not another Shaun Lawson thread.

Isn't two threads with about 5000 pages enough attention?

Don't worry AP, I'll ignore most of it - and don't want to distract anyone from the debate going on on this thread.

Whilst it may break the board rules, could someone start a thread about the fictional character Alan Partridge.

That way he won't feel like he's being left out.

Don't worry AP, I'll ignore most of it - and don't want to distract anyone from the debate going on on this thread.

No problem.

I noticed they lovely cuddly, cute Hibees managed to attack a bus with kids on it on Sunday.

Someone should grab the Hibees cheek and ruffle their hair and tell them to stop being so cute and cuddly. :)

This is a ten pager.

Sectarianism. Hobos. Racism. Shaun Lawson.Flags....it's got all the ingredients for a JKB 'War and Peace'.

All we need is someone to mention Alex Salmond being a knob, and then start posting pics of birds chebs and we could hit 20 pages................:)

Alex Salmond is a knob

tits006.jpg

No problem.

I noticed they lovely cuddly, cute Hibees managed to attack a bus with kids on it on Sunday.

Someone should grab the Hibees cheek and ruffle their hair and tell them to stop being so cute and cuddly. :)

Indeed! It was awful, and there's no excuses for such neddism. :sad:

Whilst it may break the board rules, could someone start a thread about the fictional character Alan Partridge.

That way he won't feel like he's being left out.

Go for it.

I don't crave attention though, sorry to dissapoint. :)

Guest S.U.S.S.
Does that really matter? Either people believe some songs cross the line or they don't.

This is not dependent on whether they would put themselves in a potentially awkward situation at a football match.

Would you tell 10 drunken dim-wits to wrap it if they were noising you up and you were alone?

As opposed to come on an internet forum and moan like a little girl yet not have the stones to do anything in person?

Jesus, here we go again.

Because its not their job to tell them to stop, and why should they risk putting themselves in harms way because of some dim monkey?

As opposed to come on an internet forum and moan like a little girl yet not have the stones to do anything in person?

The stones you'd need to take on 10 drunken dim-wits on your jack jones?

If someone wants to come onto the safety of this board and express an opinion about something they feel is affecting the club they support, I really don't see how you can have a problem with that, based upon the fact that they didn't raise it at the time, when for a variety of plausible reasons, they chose not to.

Jesus, here we go again.

It's much easier said than done though: you know it is. There were a couple of comments earlier about individuals being threatened with physical harm when challenging those getting up to much worse than is being discussed - and if you're faced with a group all doing the same thing, it's both tough and risky. Most people just sensibly steer clear: it hardly makes them hypocrites.

I get offended by sectarianism because I suspect that, deep down, quite a few Hearts fans really do think that we are an orange, loyalist, team, and I think that's a lot of b*****s. I wouldn't support such a team in a million years. If someone can prove to me that that's what Hearts are they can have my season ticket.

I can understand that certain songs (actually, now, only one song) are sung because they are rousing, and probably the majority who sing have absolutely no affinity with the 1930's protestant Glasgow gang they unwittingly glorify, and simply want to "make some noise".

And goodness knows we need some noise. But not that noise. As long as Hearts fans sing songs about fenians and billy boys, other Hearts fans such as me will object.

How many people who post on here have ever participated in an Orange walk? (My guess is probably none)

How many Edinburgh people who post on here could direct you to the nearest Orange lodge? Obviously, we have fans from further west who probably could.

So why the .... do we promote the orangemen's archaic, nonsensical view of the world as if it were ours?

And why are those of us who challenge that ridiculed for being PC?

I couldn't care less if the bigot brothers want to sing their sectarian crap, it just confirms my opinion of them as fans and football clubs. I HATE when Hearts fans sing that garbage because thist is my club and I have no wish to be associated with mindless bigots, is that enough explanation??

Seems fair enough to me.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Because its not their job to tell them to stop, and why should they risk putting themselves in harms way because of some dim monkey?

Your right, far better to come on here and have a bubble.

I'm not remotely outraged by the sectarian element of our support, not in the slightest. Their behaviour is more embarrassing than anything else. If they were only making themselves look ridiculous I wouldn't bother half as much, but their antics reflect on the rest of us...and on the club itself.

After being stuck in the longest turnstile queue the world has ever seen, I got into the stadium on Saturday to find that I would be sitting in the far west corner of the lower tier...smack bang in the middle of UJ heaven. Fabulous. Thank god the game was entertaining, that's all I can say. It was a bit difficult when Hello Hello started up and there was about 3 of us who remained seated and quiet...while the rest bounced around putting shrieking emphasis on the word 'fenian' because it's very very funny to do that y'know.

They tried to get a few BigJ chants going but fortunately they didn't quite pull that one off and went back to ignoring the game in front of them and doing the wonker gesture at the nearest hobos who were equally as disinterested in the football and spent the entire time waving bits of soggy paper at us.

It was special. :biggrin:

scott herbertson
I get offended by sectarianism because I suspect that, deep down, quite a few Hearts fans really do think that we are an orange, loyalist, team, and I think that's a lot of b*****s. I wouldn't support such a team in a million years. If someone can prove to me that that's what Hearts are they can have my season ticket.

I can understand that certain songs (actually, now, only one song) are sung because they are rousing, and probably the majority who sing have absolutely no affinity with the 1930's protestant Glasgow gang they unwittingly glorify, and simply want to "make some noise".

And goodness knows we need some noise. But not that noise. As long as Hearts fans sing songs about fenians and billy boys, other Hearts fans such as me will object.

How many people who post on here have ever participated in an Orange walk? (My guess is probably none)

How many Edinburgh people who post on here could direct you to the nearest Orange lodge? Obviously, we have fans from further west who probably could.

So why the .... do we promote the orangemen's archaic, nonsensical view of the world as if it were ours?

And why are those of us who challenge that ridiculed for being PC?

You've said that really well. Can't disagree with a word

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

On the subject of bigotry and such I was down in Scarborough this weekend for a wee break with the family.

Desperate to see the derby I stumbled on "The Golden Last" pub on Saturday. I went in, trying to ignore my surroundings and asked the barman if they were showing the game on Sunday. The barman said it was not up to him but pointed to a guy at the bar. I asked him are "you showing the Hearts-Hibs game?" He said he was but asked me if I was a Jambo. I said yes. He then said "We don't want east coast fenian ******* Hibbies in here".

Well, I might have known seeing all the Hun stuff in and outside the pub.

On the Sunday I looked around for any other pubs but all the ones I went into were only showing the Sheffield derby. I put my love of Hearts before all principle and went into the "Last". Instead of showing the game, they showed "Rangers in Manchester" over and over with a soundtrack of Queens's "Don't stop me Now" played again and again. The barman was under the impression that the game started at 3pm. I assured him that it started at 2pm as my brother had text the team to me just before 2pm. Anyway this guy was unable (or unwilling) to get the game on. Just then my brother text that Fletcher had scored. I told the barman the game was indeed on and Hibs had just scored. I finished my pint quickly and left the pub. My brother kept me up to date with texts.

The thing was the guy who made the "fenian" remark said he was a "Jambo".

The things one does for ones beloved JT's...

On the subject of bigotry and such I was down in Scarborough this weekend for a wee break with the family.

Desperate to see the derby I stumbled on "The Golden Last" pub on Saturday. I went in, trying to ignore my surroundings and asked the barman if they were showing the game on Sunday. The barman said it was not up to him but pointed to a guy at the bar. I asked him are "you showing the Hearts-Hibs game?" He said he was but asked me if I was a Jambo. I said yes. He then said "We don't want east coast fenian ******* Hibbies in here".

Well, I might have known seeing all the Hun stuff in and outside the pub.

On the Sunday I looked around for any other pubs but all the ones I went into were only showing the Sheffield derby. I put my love of Hearts before all principle and went into the "Last". Instead of showing the game, they showed "Rangers in Manchester" over and over with a soundtrack of Queens's "Don't stop me Now" played again and again. The barman was under the impression that the game started at 3pm. I assured him that it started at 2pm as my brother had text the team to me just before 2pm. Anyway this guy was unable (or unwilling) to get the game on. Just then my brother text that Fletcher had scored. I told the barman the game was indeed on and Hibs had just scored. I finished my pint quickly and left the pub. My brother kept me up to date with texts.

The thing was the guy who made the "fenian" remark said he was a "Jambo".

The things one does for ones beloved JT's...

Surely you've made that story up! :rolleyes:

heartgarfunkel

I am massively embarrassed and offended by manifestations of sectarian hate at the football. 'Our' bigots are a curse on the good name of the club - lose the hate lads, all decent people think you're totally inadequate fandangos.

Generic Username
Your right, far better to come on here and have a bubble.

I rather like my face the way it is.

If I can avoid upsetting 20 stone skinheads who enjoy singing sectarian songs then I'll do everything I can to dodge them.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
Surely you've made that story up! :rolleyes:

I wish I had.

I'm glad I did not have my wee daughter with me at the time.

I wish I had.

I'm glad I did not have my wee daughter with me at the time.

Pretty bizarre though I remember seeing some website about that pub yonks ago. A sort of 'Robbos by the sea' but worse. :whistling:l

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
Pretty bizarre though I remember seeing some website about that pub yonks ago. A sort of 'Robbos by the sea' but worse. :whistling:l

PM me if you want, Dave.

Jews vs Gentiles,Chritians vs Muslims, Protestants versus Catholics......its all mealy mouthed avoidance of the word at the centre of it all.

The Elephant in the room is RELIGION.

People should always be free to follow unproven, unprovable superbeing/s.

IMO no religious song bothers me in the least, to bother me I would need to believe in that superstition in the first place.

:)

With great respect, what nonsense.

I can just about agree with the idea that because most people start following a team because of their family alleigances, it is quite possible that a lot of Catholics follow Hibs.

But I cant believe that any sensible person picks their football team based on events 120 years ago and this is the point really.

Any sensible person picking a team to support in the last 20 years would pick Hearts over Hibs - we all know the reasons and we boast about them every day on here and laugh at the Hobos attempts to counter them (first to wear the green puh-leese).

So if we dont have a fairly representative support, thats because some people have been alienated by the element of our support which believes its all just "harmless banter".

Do you think Elias Furst would have saved this club from going under if he'd heard our support singing Edinburgh is wonderful ?

The irony is that our knuckle-scrapers are amongst the first to get indignant about upholding the honour of our brave war heroes (and quite rightly) but they can seemingly spit on the memory of a man who actually saved our club without even thinking about it.

GC

Even as a hibby I couldnt disgree with that logic. Assuming you had no outside influences, lived in Edinburgh and wanted to support a local team you would, sadly, go with you lot on records alone. Similarly, if you went back another decade that logic would still apply except you would be more likely to choose Hibs

It is historically more likely for caffliks to choose Hibs over Hearts but its not always going to be the case.

Back to the whole point of this thread though..Whilst not being offended personally by Scotalnds shame singing about being up to their knees in fenian blood I cn understand people being upset. Similarly the idiotic Ra RA up the Ra which often gets sung by celtc is equally hideous. Theres no room for that kind of bigotted p**h anymore. Probably there never was but folk are wising up to that in these more enlightened times.

Jews vs Gentiles,Chritians vs Muslims, Protestants versus Catholics......its all mealy mouthed avoidance of the word at the centre of it all.

The Elephant in the room is RELIGION.

People should always be free to follow unproven, unprovable superbeing/s.

IMO no religious song bothers me in the least, to bother me I would need to believe in that superstition in the first place.

:)

With all that religious fever...you'd think you might see more in the way of Christian behaviour....

With all that religious fever...you'd think you might see more in the way of Christian behaviour....

Like torture, abuse, wars...........................:rolleyes:

Archived