Sectarianism / Outrage.

Erik

My tuppence worth for this thread:

Its my opinion that where 40 000 Rangers or Celtic fans join in a rendition of whatever sectarian ditty is flavour of the month, probably about 39 500 of them aren't actually morons and don't really believe in any divide between Protestants and Catholics. They're joining in for the banter, to wind up the opposition fans and get involved with a song thats going round the ground. The problem is that for the 500 actual morons who are singing, it makes them think that their moronic world view is actually shared by all these other people just joining in for what they think is the fun of it. Some people are actually stupid enough to not know where sectarianism ends and banter begins. These people are encouraged by this chorus of voices joining in with their beliefs to follow some kind of cause. Its like the inherent racism in older generations of British people, from the time when many people came to this country from Asia after WWII. I've met countless old jakeys who think its perfectly fine to make a racist comment to me about an Asian man despite the fact they don't know me at all. They are surrounded by people who have this mindset, and therefore think that everyone shares their views, and I think it works the same way for the few actual sectarian morons that go and follow football.

Do I feel offended when I hear sectarianism at a football ground? No, not really. Do I feel embarassed and depressed at how backward our scoiety is that people still think that its acceptable to go to a sporting event and spout rubbish about people's religion and events of hundreds of years ago that have no relevance in today's society? Yes absolutely.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many times, It is not the Union Jack, it is the Union Flag. It is only the Union Jack if it is used on a ship.

Fair point Sheriff. I am aware of that.

Archived