Wille Bauld - Older Members Only

blackjambo

I was going though some of my late Auntie' stuff tonight and I found the poem below. She lived all her days in Ardmillan and had a always had a shine for Wille Bauld. I think that she was going out with him when he died - they certainly turned up at my parent's house a lot. She passed away a few years back and I found a lot of photos of Willie and even a silver medal that I think was struck for his testimonial year. I 'inherited' that. Anyway, I found the poem at my mother's house. I doubt that it was written by her, but a JKB reader may know who did.

The Scots were always brawly led,

As history books have shown,

But yet another king is dead,

Who didn?t have a throne.

No man I know had bigger heart,

Nor Hearts a braver man,

He gave his all from whistles start,

Exciting where?er he ran.

For the game he had a burning love,

Yet even though he?s gone,

The football history books will show,

His name will linger on.

The thought that from this life he?s free,

Leaves the heart so cold, so chilly,

But to older fans he?ll always be,

Tynecastle?s own King Willie.

scott herbertson

Terrific stuff

Poem must be written after his death so that dates it to after 1977

The line "Tynecastle's own King Willie' I have a vague memory of hearing Davy Allen sing in Sarajevo at the Zelnicar game (but then my memories of that night are vague...) so might be worth PMing him

ps the other thing that occurs to me is that the metre of the poem and the first line are reminiscent of Scots wha Hae words (Scot's wham Bruce has aften led)

ps the other thing that occurs to me is that the metre of the poem and the first line are reminiscent of Scots wha Hae words (Scot's wham Bruce has aften led)

And works a treat if you use the melody of The Sash:rolleyes:

scott herbertson
And works a treat if you use the melody of The Sash:rolleyes:

mmmm

You're right, and it was a popular tune around Tynie in the late 70's I recall....

The Scots were always brawly led,

As history books have shown,

But yet another king is dead,

Who didn?t have a throne.

No man I know had bigger heart,

Nor Hearts a braver man,

He gave his all from whistles start,

Exciting where?er he ran.

For the game he had a burning love,

Yet even though he?s gone,

The football history books will show,

His name will linger on.

The thought that from this life he?s free,

Leaves the heart so cold, so chilly,

But to older fans he?ll always be,

Tynecastle?s own King Willie.

It would be a great inscription to have under the Willie Bauld memorial bust thats planned.

This thread should be compulsory reading for ALL members.

Thank you for posting

The poem should be prominently displayed in the dressing rooms at Tynecastle and Ricarton, also in the Willie Bauld Suite.

bp

this was supposed to be and i hope it still is on the bench in front of white park swingpark, as king willies shop was more or less opposite. I am old enough to remember going into his shop with my dada and feeling very reverential buying millars chocolate eclairs from the great man.

Great poem. Thanks for posting it. I've never seen it before and haven't a clue who might have written it.

Willie Bauld electrified the Hearts fans like no other player I've ever seen. The crowd roared in anticipation every time he got the ball. He was well known for his headers, but he also had a thunderous shot that few keepers could hold if they even got to it.

I remember reading an article about the centenery match against Spurs in 1974. One of the players(think it was Cruikie) said that before the match in the dressing room we heard a noise like never before coming from the main stand. It turned out that Willie Bauld had just taken his seat in the stand, and every person in the ground stood and gave him a standing ovation! I get a lump in my throat everytime I recall that moment!

Cheers

Lynn

I remember seeing The 'King' when i was a lad, a privelege to see him. A true 'legend' if ever there was one.

I can well understand fellow Hearts fans calling John Robertson, 'King Robbo.' But there was only one 'King.'

I remember reading an article about the centenery match against Spurs in 1974. One of the players(think it was Cruikie) said that before the match in the dressing room we heard a noise like never before coming from the main stand. It turned out that Willie Bauld had just taken his seat in the stand, and every person in the ground stood and gave him a standing ovation! I get a lump in my throat everytime I recall that moment!

Cheers

Lynn

I was at Willies testimonial against Sheffield United, i know this will sound 'corny,' but i have never experienced such an outpouring of love/affection for a football player in my life when he walked onto the park.

A truly magnificent player and servant to the club.

Will we ever see his likes again? imho, i doubt it.

Speaking for myself, the only other player that i hold as much affection for is John Cumming, the original 'Mr Hearts.'

meridian jambo

The poem was dated around 1977 just after his death, I actually have the poem enscribed on a brass plague with a cartoon character picture of Willie Bauld on it.

It was given to me as a gift when the owner of a Tollcross pub (who was a big Hearts man) closed the business down many years ago.

I was at Willies testimonial against Sheffield United, i know this will sound 'corny,' but i have never experienced such an outpouring of love/affection for a football player in my life when he walked onto the park.

A truly magnificent player and servant to the club.

Will we ever see his likes again? imho, i doubt it.

Speaking for myself, the only other player that i hold as much affection for is John Cumming, the original 'Mr Hearts.'

aye, but he had to pay the costs of the match ball,turnstile staff,admin etc

it left a sour taste in the kings mouth and he never went back to tynie for years

I remeber as a laddie at tynecastle school we used to go to his shop in gorgie road........"please mr bauld tell us about.......etc" and the great man would have us all in awe at his tales

upon his sad demise I also remeber his hearse passing through gorgie,

flags oot windows, old ladies in tears, all the traffic stopped.

Then on the saturday against east fife , the most eariest thing, a minutes silence and all you could here was the distant sound of a bairn greeting in some far off but and ben:sad:

K.G.B...........still watching you!:cool:

siegementality
this was supposed to be and i hope it still is on the bench in front of white park swingpark, as king willies shop was more or less opposite. I am old enough to remember going into his shop with my dada and feeling very reverential buying millars chocolate eclairs from the great man.

I was sent to get the paper from Mr Baulds shop every day. I was only a wee boy and I used to always have a Hearts top on or Hearts tracksuit and he'd always spend time speaking to me. My Dad and him were quite pally so even as a youngster I knew all about the great Mr Bauld.

I've got a copy of that poem, my Dad had lots of Willie Bauld stuff, I think the poem was in general circulation. A fitting tribute to an absolute gentlman.

The King is dead, long live the King!

Cheers

Lynn

Now, (to change the subject a wee bit)............ If Willie, after all these years could go back to Tynecastle (after saying he would never return), could a ceratin Mr Cruickshank not be asked to do the same thing? After all, it would be for the fans.

Let bygones be bygones. Life's too short Jim.

Now, (to change the subject a wee bit)............ If Willie, after all these years could go back to Tynecastle (after saying he would never return), could a ceratin Mr Cruickshank not be asked to do the same thing? After all, it would be for the fans.

Let bygones be bygones. Life's too short Jim.

Bill we as a people seem to carry resentments very well and sometimes to the grave premature. Would love to see what you suggest.happen.

Doctor FinnBarr

I can remember having the programme that had a suppliment added in after his death, think the poem was published in that.

:107years:

Hearts Heritage

Can anybody explain why Willie was picked out, in particular, for such affection? Out of that great 1950's side there are other players who had similar records

The other two members of the 'Trio'

Jimmy Wardhaugh - speaking to an old Hearts fan he siad that Jimmy played like Paul Hartley did in the semi every week.

Alfie Conn

are not remembered in the same way.

Can anybody explain why Willie was picked out, in particular, for such affection? Out of that great 1950's side there are other players who had similar records

Jimmy Wardhaugh - speaking to an old Hearts fan he siad that Jimmy played like Paul Hartley did in the semi every week.

Alfie Conn

Probably because he was more of an enigma than the other two. I have a documentary that was made about him a few years ago and John Cumming talks at length about how Bauld was a lazy player who hated training. For some reason fans always love mavericks. And of course the magic of the number 9 shirt.

Davie,

My old man always said that Willie would never have gotten half the recognistion he got if it wasnt for the likes of Jimmy Wardhaugh, etc., and he played on the same team.

But, it is a team game and if you are playing together as a team, then goals and results will come. There's no doubt that Willie got the acclaim, as he was the one who had the skill to put the ball in the back of the net. However, they are rememebred as "The Terrible Trio", but there was nothing terrible about them. Alfie, most probably, gets the least notoriaty of them.

John Cumming, for all his accomplishments at Hearts, (and I believe, still is the most decorated player EVER for the club), hardly gets a mention.

There are some of us on here that are fortunate enough to remember seeing these guys play and some will only read about them in books. I for one am grateful for that memory as I am sure even more are grateful to have seen others in more recent years.

I keep going on about the Cruickie situation and feel very strongly about it that something should be done.

Alfie Conn

I think it was the syndrome that it was not the Princes, or the Vice President who made the history books, but the one who was most visible. The two Conn and Wardhaugh fired the bullets but the King was the one who put them in the net. Pictures in the paper after a game invariably seemed to show the goal he scored with a header. That pose of Willie in the air doing a half jacknife, feet together and head forward driving the ball in the 'net was prolific to say the least.

It is strange perceptions of people, some see Willie as a talkative man, who talked of his past and football days. My perception of him was he was very quiet, almost projected an air of being moody. I knew him from his shop, and when he visited his parents home above the shops in Bingham. His dad was a quiet man, but his brother Rab was a nice guy talkative, but never to my memory mentioned his brother or any team gossip. Of course in these days most of us wouldn't ask as it would have put us at risk of being told to mind our own business.

The trio will always stick in my memory for their performances on the field of play, their private lives and non public personalities an equal mystery, the media and public focus on all aspects of their lives were not under the scrutiny that they are in these days of nosey media and the internet.

Davie,

My old man always said that Willie would never have gotten half the recognistion he got if it wasnt for the likes of Jimmy Wardhaugh, etc., and he played on the same team.

But, it is a team game and if you are playing together as a team, then goals and results will come. There's no doubt that Willie got the acclaim, as he was the one who had the skill to put the ball in the back of the net. However, they are rememebred as "The Terrible Trio", but there was nothing terrible about them. Alfie, most probably, gets the least notoriaty of them.

John Cumming, for all his accomplishments at Hearts, (and I believe, still is the most decorated player EVER for the club), hardly gets a mention.

There are some of us on here that are fortunate enough to remember seeing these guys play and some will only read about them in books. I for one am grateful for that memory as I am sure even more are grateful to have seen others in more recent years.

I keep going on about the Cruickie situation and feel very strongly about it that something should be done.

I was well aware of the dispute between Willie Bauld and Hearts, but was unaware of one with Jim Cruickshank. Can you post what it is all about?

I'd rather not stir up bad blood again, but somehow try and help to put the situation right.

There has been other threads on here about it.

my old man used to tell me about a song that sarted

theres a fair haired centre forward

who comes from newcraighall

Im sure it was to the tune of yellow rose of texas

sadly cant remember the rest and as my dad is now in Tynecastle in the sky I cant ask him ...anyone else know it

Hearts Heritage

In the ‘History of the Heart of Mid-Lothian’ there have been two players who were held in really great, great affection by the fans and the locals of the area.

One was Willie and the other was Bobby Walker.

Speaking to David Speed he recounts that Bobby was treated like a 'King' in Dalry and Gorgie. This was witnessed by the thousands that turned out for his funeral.

It is a disgrace that he is not yet in the 'Hall of Fame'. He is along with Tommy Walker the greatest player(s) ever to wear maroon. He held the national cap record for almost 25 years. If you 'weight' his caps he is in the 'Top 5' of all time. He still is joint record cap holder vs. England. I've heard that he may be getting a 30th cap awarded for the 'Ibrox Disaster' match which would put him on his own. He should have been the very first name on the list. Hopefully this will be recognised in this Years awards.

When they had the vote for the banners he didn’t even make the ‘Top 30’.

my old man used to tell me about a song that sarted

theres a fair haired centre forward

who comes from newcraighall

Im sure it was to the tune of yellow rose of texas

sadly cant remember the rest and as my dad is now in Tynecastle in the sky I cant ask him ...anyone else know it

The version I remember, sung to the tune of "Yellow Rose of Texas", was

There's a team down at Tynecastle

Their colours are maroon

They have the finest centre

That Scotland's ever known,

You can talk about your Rileys

Your Buckleys and them all,

But you should hear the roar go up

When Willie's on the ball!

Riley and Buckley were other prominent centre forwards in the 1950s, playing for Hibs and Aberdeen respectively.

Alfie Conn

Good question Davie. I'll tell you what I think might be an explanation.

Conn and Wardhaugh were already playing in a struggling Hearts side in the late 1940s, when Willie Bauld made his debut at Tynecastle against East Fife. He scored three goals that day, and Hearts won 6-1 against what was a very good team in those days. The scrowd was electrified by his performance and the result. If I remember correctly, he scored another hat-trick in his second game too. He was an instant hero to Hearts fans.

Hearts were transformed from a struggling team to a winning team, and the Terrible Trio made it all happen, and Bauld had been the catalyst.

That team was gradually replaced, player by player, but the TT remained intact. By the time they won the cup in 1956, the only ones left were the TT and Big Tam MacKenzie at left back.

The team of the 1950s was probably the best team we've ever had, and it was Bauld who started them down the road to greatness.

That's one theory for you.:)

Hearts Heritage

I'm not 100% sure of the exact lyrics

Kruschev came to Scotland, To see the Jam Tarts Play

The weather was inclement, the game it was postponed

third line I can't quite recall

I'm no going back to Moscow 'cos I've no seen Willie Bauld

Willie Bauld, Willie Bauld

I'm no going back to Moscow

Cos I've no seen Willie Bauld

Kruschev came to Britain, 2nd time he'd been

The first time He met Churchill, he even met the queen

News came back from Moscow that he had been recalled

I'm no going back to Moscow 'cos I've no seen Willie Bauld

Willie Bauld, Willie Bauld

I'm no going back to Moscow

Cos I've no seen Willie Bauld

My first Hearts hero - and while I might regret Providence putting me here through the painful 60's, 70's, 80's and most of the 90's - I am so grateful I saw the great man play!!!

As was the thing in the fifties when the teams came out all the youngsters ran on to get autographs. I did this at Dunfermline and headed straight for Willie, he said sorry son and gently ushered me of the park wait outside after the game and I will sign your book. When he appeared after the game he was mobbed but spied me and came over and signed my book. I mind I had Willie and John Cumming on the same page. As far as these gentlemen are concerned we will never see their likes again.

p.s I with Willie Duff get the Cruikie back and let us see our best ever keeper at Tynie once again

The version I remember, sung to the tune of "Yellow Rose of Texas", was

There's a team down at Tynecastle

Their colours are maroon

They have the finest centre

That Scotland's ever known,

You can talk about your Rileys

Your Buckleys and them all,

But you should hear the roar go up

When Willie's on the ball!

Riley and Buckley were other prominent centre forwards in the 1950s, playing for Hibs and Aberdeen respectively.

thats the one that my old man sang

jambos are go!
I think it was the syndrome that it was not the Princes, or the Vice President who made the history books, but the one who was most visible. The two Conn and Wardhaugh fired the bullets but the King was the one who put them in the net. Pictures in the paper after a game invariably seemed to show the goal he scored with a header. That pose of Willie in the air doing a half jacknife, feet together and head forward driving the ball in the 'net was prolific to say the least.

It is strange perceptions of people, some see Willie as a talkative man, who talked of his past and football days. My perception of him was he was very quiet, almost projected an air of being moody. I knew him from his shop, and when he visited his parents home above the shops in Bingham. His dad was a quiet man, but his brother Rab was a nice guy talkative, but never to my memory mentioned his brother or any team gossip. Of course in these days most of us wouldn't ask as it would have put us at risk of being told to mind our own business.

The trio will always stick in my memory for their performances on the field of play, their private lives and non public personalities an equal mystery, the media and public focus on all aspects of their lives were not under the scrutiny that they are in these days of nosey media and the internet.

That premise is incorrect. Wardhaugh scored more goals for Hearts than Bauld and Conn was not far behind the King. Wardhaugh made a lot of goals for the other two as well.

Bauld was a good looking blond hero but the Scholar Wardhaugh(Twinkle Toes)was unfortunately merely a genius. Both are legends alongside Conn.

Hearts Heritage
That premise is incorrect. Wardhaugh scored more goals for Hearts than Bauld and Conn was not far behind the King. Wardhaugh made a lot of goals for the other two as well.

You are right and wrong

JW was the top league goal scorer (207) until Robbo broke the record (214)

However WB has 277 with JW and Robbo both on 271.

Including 'friendlies' JW is top.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/players/aaplayersbygoals.html

I seem to remember a poem included in the programme for Willie Baulds testimonial match against Shefield Wednesday - but the one in the OP was not it. Can anyone come up with that one?

You are right and wrong

JW was the top league goal scorer (207) until Robbo broke the record (214)

However WB has 277 with JW and Robbo both on 271.

Including 'friendlies' JW is top.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/players/aaplayersbygoals.html

I accept the game was different in those days, but Twinkletoes achievement should be viewed in the context that Robbo played an extraordinary number of additional games to beat his record. Hopefully you might be able to provide the stats.

Hearts Heritage
I accept the game was different in those days, but Twinkletoes achievement should be viewed in the context that Robbo played an extraordinary number of additional games to beat his record. Hopefully you might be able to provide the stats.

They are there already.

See games played and goals per game.

I seem to remember a poem included in the programme for Willie Baulds testimonial match against Shefield Wednesday - but the one in the OP was not it. Can anyone come up with that one?

"oor thanks for all the happy years

frae fans baith young and auld

for a' your skills that earned oor cheers

We thank you - Willie Bauld"

In the ?History of the Heart of Mid-Lothian? there have been two players who were held in really great, great affection by the fans and the locals of the area.

Speaking to David Speed he recounts that Bobby was treated like a 'King' in Dalry and Gorgie. This was witnessed by the thousands that turned out for his funeral.

It is a disgrace that he is not yet in the 'Hall of Fame'. He is along with Tommy Walker the greatest player(s) ever to wear maroon. He held the national cap record for almost 25 years. If you 'weight' his caps he is in the 'Top 5' of all time. He still is joint record cap holder vs. England. I've heard that he may be getting a 30th cap awarded for the 'Ibrox Disaster' match which would put him on his own. He should have been the very first name on the list. Hopefully this will be recognised in this Years awards.

When they had the vote for the banners he didn?t even make the ?Top 30?.

Absolute disgrace!

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

Willie Bauld was the first and foremost Hearts player in my childhood because he was my dad's idol and he was the first Hearts player I was made aware of even though he retired before I was born.

My Dad also thought he was "lazy" but from what I have read and heard my theory was that as he worked in the mines before and during his playing time for Hearts and that he died at the age of only 48 of a heart-attack, maybe he just was not a robust person health-wise and felt he had to conserve his energy and not chase "lost causes" on the park.

Also, I also am surprised at posters stating how "talkative" Willie was. My mum remembers attending a function for the players in the fifties. All the players came out to applause but Willie always kept to the back, out of the way. My mum noticed this. She also noticed that Dave McKay did not seem too unconcerned and seemed to like milking the limelight. Willie was more circumcept and shy. My brother also went to his house once and asked for his autograph. His wife, or whoever it was at the time went back into the house and got it signed and brought it back. He never even saw Willie.

He strikes me as an extremely kind and considerate person, however he was also quite shy and did not like fuss and attention too much.

A real hero. I wish I had seen him play.

Yes Twinkletoes and the King both scored a lot of goals for us but the difference for me is charisma , no player since has had that characteristic in such abundance.

It is difficult to relate to the fans who did not see him play, just how much adulation was heaped on his shoulders during his playing days. As to why him and not his terrible trio partners or John Cumming or any player for that matter since has not been feted with such reverence, is difficult to evaluate.

He definitely had a tremendous presence on and off the field with that shock of blonde hair. Myth and legend even surrounded him during his playing days, fuelled by the fact he was a semi-recluse. Also the small matter of him being a very intelligent footballer who could score freely with both feet and his awesome heading ability had to be seen to be believed may have been contributing factors to that quality, charisma.

Does anyone remember another song of that time about him to the tune of Davy Crockett, King of the wild frontier, first line was:

Born in a tenement in Newcraighall,

WorldChampions1902
In the ‘History of the Heart of Mid-Lothian’ there have been two players who were held in really great, great affection by the fans and the locals of the area.

When they had the vote for the banners he didn’t even make the ‘Top 30’.

It must be close to the date when Hearts will announce the Hall Of Fame Nominees.

Sadly, if Bobby Walker can't even get enough votes to appear on one of the Tynie banners, then I don't suppose we can expect to see him in the HoF anytime soon. :rolleyes:

It must be close to the date when Hearts will announce the Hall Of Fame Nominees.

Sadly, if Bobby Walker can't even get enough votes to appear on one of the Tynie banners, then I don't suppose we can expect to see him in the HoF anytime soon. :rolleyes:

Some players shouldn't NEED to be VOTED in. Bobby Walker is one of them. Get the great man in there!

Lynn:ninja:

Francis Albert

I probably saw him play - I started being taken to Tynecastle when he was still around - but frustratingly can't remember. I was there for his return to Tynecastle in a game against Kilmarnock after his long exile from the club. Drew Busby scored the winner and Willie, kindly, said he was impressed,

I can vouch for the fact that my parents' generation loved him (it isn't too strong a word) more than any player since. As to why Willie more than Alfie or Jimmy - I suspect it had something to with style. I remember reading a novel by Gordon M Williams (co-author with Terry Venables of the Hazell books and TV series for those who remember) whose teenage character rejoiced, despite being from the west of Scotland, in imagining himself playing in the "neat and deadly" style of the King. For the female fans at least it might have had something to do with being the best looker of the three - and I have read of male fans emulating his James Dean-like quiff.

But to go a little off-topic. I was rummaging around for a rather better poem about Willie than that in the OP that I'm sure I've read somewhere. I didn't find it but did come across this from the mid-fifties, which just goes to prove that some things never change. To the tune of "Bless them all" (... the long and the short and the tall)

"We've got our backs to the wall (?)

As back to the west coast they crawl

'Cause we'll no' be mastered

By no Glasgow *******

So up with the Hearts

**** 'em all"

Pleased to say it is still there. Walked past it at the last home game.

Where was his shop?

Archived