Merseyside Derby/Liverpool Man Utd

Jambosimmy

I was watching Sky Sports news this morning and a Liverpool fan was asked what game was bigger... Liverpool Man Utd or the Merseyside Derby. The guy said the Man Utd game was bigger. That didnt really surprise me too much.

I just wanted people's opinion on this. Is there a bigger game in the SPL for Hearts other than the Derby?

No, i wouldn`t say there is a bigger game for Hearts other than the derby in general, but maybe playing the Old Firm in a significant cup game would be regarded bigger.

But if it`s simply talking about rivalry, the history of the fixture etc.. it has to be the derby.

No, i wouldn`t say there is a bigger game for Hearts other than the derby in general, but maybe playing the Old Firm in a significant cup game would be regarded bigger.

But if it`s simply talking about rivalry, the history of the fixture etc.. it has to be the derby.

Can't agree with that I'm afraid.

Think of the SC semi '06 - dubbed the biggest derby in history. That was HUGE. I couldn't sleep for nights leading up to it.

The diddy semi last season against Rangers. Albeit a less important competition, but it didn't get anything like the hype that the derby semi got. I think that would have also been the case if it were an SC semi.

The derby is bigger by miles. We can afford to lose to the OF, we CANNOT lose to Hibs. It's unbearable and I hate it.

Think of the SC semi '06 - dubbed the biggest derby in history. That was HUGE. I couldn't sleep for nights leading up to it.

The diddy semi last season against Rangers. Albeit a less important competition, but it didn't get anything like the hype that the derby semi got. I think that would have also been the case if it were an SC semi.

The derby is bigger by miles. We can afford to lose to the OF, we CANNOT lose to Hibs. It's unbearable and I hate it.

Wasn`t meaning that bud, i was comparing an ordinary league derby with a cup game v OF.

It`s starting to get a bit daft, lol, because then i`d agree and say a derby cup game is bigger than one v the OF!!!! Like you say, the derby really is the biggest game for us no matter what(unless it`s a cup final v Falkirk!:P)

Couldn't put it better myself.

I was on a flight to Heatrow at the time of the game (gutted!) So I missed it.

I actually managed to get a signal on a radio 30,000 feet in the air to hear Jankauskas put the ball in the net for 3-0 :) Cracking!

Later when we landed I called my old man to tell us it was 4-0. So me and my mates (we were going on holiday) did a wee jig around the airport. Never forget that.

Guest juvehearts

They say the OF derby is the biggest in the UK,

thats fine i aint got a problem with numpties supporting numpties.

The Hearts Hibs Derby is one of the oldest in the world, nothing can rival it.

i love everything abouot the game, the build up, the banter at work before it, the talking about who's going to perform e.c.t.

it IS our biggest game in the SPL. Playing the ugly sisters are great, even better when we win, but the build up is nothing, the talking is nothing the game is full of biast OF decisions nearly every game.

I hate celtic, i detest hibs, rangers are just nothing, mean nothing, always have & always will.

see the difference is although Rangers were formed 1 year before us, it was hearts that have the history, rangers were named after a english rugby club ffs.

getting back onto the subject.

hearts bigest games in the SPL are agains Hibs, when it comes to cups e.c.t, yes their is bigger games, example semi final vs aberdeen or OF, but the bread & butter is hibs.

on the Rare occasion we do get beaten by our much lesser rivals the week after is unbeariable because, you never hear the end of it at work or off friends.

when we get defeated of the OF or even win vs them its not a big deal unless we spank them.

I was watching Sky Sports news this morning and a Liverpool fan was asked what game was bigger... Liverpool Man Utd or the Merseyside Derby. The guy said the Man Utd game was bigger. That didnt really surprise me too much.

I just wanted people's opinion on this. Is there a bigger game in the SPL for Hearts other than the Derby?

The Edinburgh derby is hugely important, as neither team competes for the league title on a regular basis, so these fixtures accrue greater significance. Were we challenging more often, games against the Old Firm would probably come to be seen differently

The Liverpool and Manchester United rivalry began in the 1960s when both were contesting the title. Latterly, enmity and antipathy between the supporters has given this fixture a fire which the media have stoked. Now that Manchester City are being financed to such an extent, it is arguable that the Mancunian derby could regain its stature. Similarly, Liverpool supporters could look to beating Everton as the pinnacle of their season, as neither club will be in a position to break into the top four.

I wonder, was Hearts versus St Bernards ever a feisty encounter?

A huge SEMI was keeping you awake...........? Nothing worse...... :eek:

"The Hearts Hibs Derby is one of the oldest in the world, nothing can rival it."

Is it not THE oldest Derby in the world? Can't think of one which could be older.

"The Hearts Hibs Derby is one of the oldest in the world, nothing can rival it."

Is it not THE oldest Derby in the world? Can't think of one which could be older.

The Nottingham derby is the oldest surviving derby in the world (I think) with County formed 1862 & Forest formed 1865.

They say the OF derby is the biggest in the UK,

thats fine i aint got a problem with numpties supporting numpties.

The Hearts Hibs Derby is one of the oldest in the world, nothing can rival it.

i love everything abouot the game, the build up, the banter at work before it, the talking about who's going to perform e.c.t.

it IS our biggest game in the SPL. Playing the ugly sisters are great, even better when we win, but the build up is nothing, the talking is nothing the game is full of biast OF decisions nearly every game.

I hate celtic, i detest hibs, rangers are just nothing, mean nothing, always have & always will.

see the difference is although Rangers were formed 1 year before us, it was hearts that have the history, rangers were named after a english rugby club ffs.

getting back onto the subject.

hearts bigest games in the SPL are agains Hibs, when it comes to cups e.c.t, yes their is bigger games, example semi final vs aberdeen or OF, but the bread & butter is hibs.

on the Rare occasion we do get beaten by our much lesser rivals the week after is unbeariable because, you never hear the end of it at work or off friends.

when we get defeated of the OF or even win vs them its not a big deal unless we spank them.

I think it is the 2nd oldest derby in Britain that is still in existence, Notts Forest and Notts COunty being the oldest.

Looking at the reaction of the supporters of the other teams we play against, I would say that the Derby is the biggest game.

Whilst a win over Rangers and Celtic is celebrated by us, it merely annoys their fans, they are confident they will win next time and usually do. It doesn't even annoy them in the context that we've beaten them, they are annoyed in the context of what the other has done in their game. We are just not on their radar over the course of a season.

Hibs fans on the other hand are obsessed by Hearts. Some of them would take four wins a season over Hearts but second bottom of the league at the start of the season if it was offered to them.

They absolutely hate losing to us and every time they do, their inferiority grows and they hate us a wee bit more, an impotent rage gnawing away at them.

It is this knowledge which, for me, makes every victory over them the sweetest victory since our last victory over them.

Nothing else compares.

Guest juvehearts
the derby is a bigger game but BEATING smeltic makes me happier.

Nope sorry i have to disagree completley here with you.

yes defeating the OF is a good think, brilliant, but you still dont get the same buzz around gorgie, the pubs & at work the following week when you slot 4 past your city rivals.

celtic & rangers will always be bigger than us because they hold the cards & have done for near 30 years.

only one thing that'll change & thats if all the SFA blazers died suddendly overnight & a new SFA impartial to Scottish football was introduced.

that aint going to happen

the only time im more happier than beating hibs is when we win a semi or final against our ugly sisters.

I think it is the 2nd oldest derby in Britain that is still in existence, Notts Forest and Notts COunty being the oldest.

Like you said, I think we're the 2nd oldest in Britain, but we're the oldest active derby in Britain.

When was the last time Forest played County?

Ye generally the Edinburgh derby is our biggest game - the game means as much to folk in the city of Edinburgh as the Old Firm means to Glasgow or the Milan derby to Milan.

derby for me hands down,

but would mention the celtic games at tynie seemed to have developed a really nasty edge these days....AND I LOVE IT!!!!

Now I might be remembering this all wrong but I'm sure, in the days of terracing, it used to be not uncommon for pictures of the crowd at the Merseyside Derby to show mingled blue and red.

I had a quick look for images and this is the best I could come up with.

B8AFEAB1-A9A0-F0F8-F456E62F57B1FCBB.jpg

Now I might be remembering this all wrong but I'm sure, in the days of terracing, it used to be not uncommon for pictures of the crowd at the Merseyside Derby to show mingled blue and red.

I had a quick look for images and this is the best I could come up with.

B8AFEAB1-A9A0-F0F8-F456E62F57B1FCBB.jpg

In Brian Reade's book on his time as a Liverpool supporter, the scene in your pic used to be the case but the Mersey derby got progressively ugly as Liverpool went from strength to strength (Euro cups and league titles) while Everton only had the odd season as top dog.

I hate Celtic more than I hate Hibs but the derby games are the biggest games of our season.

Losing to hibs it hurts more , but on the other hand a'h get more joy out of beating celtic ( The derby games are allways the first ones you look for though)

Beating Rangers & Celtic happens less often so you remember those games more however losing to Hibs hurts more especially 6-2 and I doubt many victories were more pleasurable than 5-1 (DeVries 4) ?

Geoff Kilpatrick
Beating Rangers & Celtic happens less often so you remember those games more however losing to Hibs hurts more especially 6-2 and I doubt many victories were more pleasurable than 5-1 (DeVries 4) ?

I actually enjoyed the next derby more because it is even sweeter when they are giving it the big one thinking they have won and they we turn it round and put their gas at a peep. That 2-1 win at Fester was sweet!

rudi must stay

definatly not. winning a few derbies game can save a season. If we do badly in it we can always look back and say we did well in them

I get more upset at losing to Hibs than losing to C*lt!c. Derbies are the biggest games of our season IMO.

As for the Liverpool derby, rubbish game with little or no atmosphere.

I actually enjoyed the next derby more because it is even sweeter when they are giving it the big one thinking they have won and they we turn it round and put their gas at a peep. That 2-1 win at Fester was sweet!

I agree and the one after that was almost as good as a win too since they were 4-2 up in added time and still couldnt beat us.

Archived