US Open 2008

Deek

The Old Tolbooth
Come on John, Henman wasent a bad player. In fact he was a very good player. It was the hype from the English press we couldent stand.

As for grass, Tim never won a senior tournament on the surface.

He won 13 times, once on clay, once on carpet and the rest on hard courts.

He was a good player, but he wasn't as good as Murray, that's the point I'm trying to make. I actually didn't mind Henman either, but when he lost it got it right up the prawn sandwich and strawberry brigade.

I think Henmans highest world ranking was 6th, I'm sure Murray is going up to No4 after this tourney.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chester copperpot
He was a good player, but he wasn't as good as Murray, that's the point I'm trying to make. I actually didn't mind Henman either, but when he lost it got it right up the prawn sandwich and strawberry brigade.

I think Henmans highest world ranking was 6th, I'm sure Murray is going up to No4 after this tourney.

Not that I want to point out that you're wrong John, but you're wrong.

Henman was at number 4 in the world at one point.

2002 and won 11 ATP titles.

and Rudeski was Number 2 in the world one year.

No he wasn't. Rusedski peaked at 4, same as Henman.

I am sure he finished at Number 2 the year he reached the final of the US Open

The Old Tolbooth

Apologies, I thought the best he got to was 6th.

Was there as good players around in those days though :P

I P Knightley
Apologies, I thought the best he got to was 6th.

Was there as good players around in those days though :P

I think Murray's ahead of better players than Henman was in his day but when Henman was at 4 or 5, he had Sampras & Agassi ahead of him. Lleyton Hewitt & Gustavo Kuerten also spent time at or near the top so it would have been quite remarkable for Tiger to nudge into the top 3.

So I think Murray's achievements slightly eclipse the Tiger's so far. What will cement it is any of (a) a grand slam, (B) making the top 3 or © stopping at 4 for a very long time.

I think he'll do (a) and (B) - so ©'s academic!

Has Murry's bottle crashed after loosing that big point for either 2 0 or 1 1??????

Murray wins!! Beats Nadal 3-1. Best tennis he's played. Well done Andy.

The Old Tolbooth

Credit where it's due like, the guy showed a lot of balls there and that's a simply brilliant result for him. I honestly thought after Wimbledon that Nadal was almost unbeatable.

Unbelievable, thought he'd blew it when he didn't break Nadal early in that 4th set.

:fam13:

Ditto.

Never been happier to be wrong. Great night for Scottish sport.

Or Brittish sport as it will no doubt be now that he has made the final...

Credit where it's due like, the guy showed a lot of balls there and that's a simply brilliant result for him. I honestly thought after Wimbledon that Nadal was almost unbeatable.

I think in fairness John you were right, he was almost unbeatable

I think he can win tomorrow. Although in my eyes, Federer is still the worlds number one.

But Murray beat him earlier this year and Federer had a go at his baseline style so should be interesting.

I P Knightley
Any idea what the prize money is?

He's already guaranteed a cheque for $750,000.

But we don't want him to have that.

We want him to have a cheque for $1,500,000 if he takes Fed tomorrow.

That's just under 50% of his career prize money to date.

The Old Tolbooth
He's already guaranteed a cheque for $750,000.

But we don't want him to have that.

We want him to have a cheque for $1,500,000 if he takes Fed tomorrow.

That's just under 50% of his career prize money to date.

It's not about the money :rolleyes:

If he wins the title he'll be the first major winner form Britain since the Open era began. Or rather more worryingly the first since Fred Perry in the '30's.

crazy_jambo_2006

Awesome. Fantastic achievement. btw if anyone wants a british tennis player to lose JUST because that player is a hibs fan, then surely they are taking football loyalty/rivalry too far.

A great result, and, if he manages to actually win it, it will be a great result for British tennis , as we think we invented the modern game.

If he loses, of course, he will obviously be referred to as the unfortunate Scotsman...:(

I P Knightley
I think he can win tomorrow. Although in my eyes, Federer is still the worlds number one.

But Murray beat him earlier this year and Federer had a go at his baseline style so should be interesting.

I'm glad to see that Federer's form is returning after his 'season off'! I've admired his style (not the gold cardies, the tennis style) for the last 5 or so years and would love to see him take Sampras' record for the number of slams won.

Murray's time will come - regardless of what happens this evening - but it's worth noting that Murray has a 2-1 head-to-head record against Fed (a head-to-Fed record?) and one win came in 2006 when Roger was far less vincible than he's been this season. The other, early this season, saw Murray go close and remember that he was easing back in after his own injury troubles.

Gawwwd! I want them both to win!! Head says Murray, heart says Fed - or is that the other way round????

The Old Tolbooth
I'm glad to see that Federer's form is returning after his 'season off'! I've admired his style (not the gold cardies, the tennis style) for the last 5 or so years and would love to see him take Sampras' record for the number of slams won.

Murray's time will come - regardless of what happens this evening - but it's worth noting that Murray has a 2-1 head-to-head record against Fed (a head-to-Fed record?) and one win came in 2006 when Roger was far less vincible than he's been this season. The other, early this season, saw Murray go close and remember that he was easing back in after his own injury troubles.

Gawwwd! I want them both to win!! Head says Murray, heart says Fed - or is that the other way round????

Murray is 15/8 to lift the trophy, that's got to be worth a bet!!

I P Knightley

Cheers for the tip.

I'm off to the bookies right now.

Not having SKY in the house, I'm going to HAVE to go to the pub tonight (The Cask, most probably) to watch the first couple of sets anyway.

I wonder how many other folk will do the same, and it'll be quite strange for pubs to be quite busy late on a Monday night. I'm off shift tomorrow so no need to be concerned about getting up tomorrow.

Here's hoping Andy can do it........

I P Knightley

Job done. As mentioned before, I'd have been happy if Federer won. That wee visit to Ladbrokes has now got me off the fence.

They're only offering 13/8 for the win but also picked up 5/1 for a 4 set win to Murray.

'mon the Murray!!

Agree with everything you said there! At least for me, I'll be pleased no matter who wins.

Fantastic result yesterday for Murray, he showed incredible bottle and it doesn't get much better than beating the guy who has been unbeatable this year for the first time. Even if he doesn't win today, I think he'll definitely win a Grand Slam next year.

Of many brilliant points in that match, the second last point of the entire match was phenominal.

Murray's dominance of the point coupled with Nadal's sheer fight and will not to lose the point.

Brilliant.

Great game of tennis - I feel an anticlimax coming on....

Not having SKY in the house, I'm going to HAVE to go to the pub tonight (The Cask, most probably) to watch the first couple of sets anyway.

I wonder how many other folk will do the same, and it'll be quite strange for pubs to be quite busy late on a Monday night. I'm off shift tomorrow so no need to be concerned about getting up tomorrow.

Here's hoping Andy can do it........

It'll be on http://www.justin.tv/sport if you dont want to head to the cask and perv at the nice blonde they have working there just now.

Archived