US Open 2008

Deek

I P Knightley

Evening tennis chums!

Looks like we're in for another nail-biter. Nearly chucking away the first set; Del Potro gets attention for an "injury"; let's guess that he'll walk the second set before Murray gets his head back in gear.

Thanks for the streaming link - I'm away to see if it works.

'Mon the Murray!

And...yes! the link's working great. Yahoo!!!

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I P Knightley
Del Porto's got the physio on again.

Could be good for Murray.

Mind games.

I fear that Murray'll mess about until he realises that DP's taken this set from him and there's nowt wrong.

Great viewing, though. Frustrating watching him hit sitters spang into the middle of the net!

Get in!!

2-0 up.

You have to fancy him to make it now...but with Murray you just never know.

:eek:

strolled into one of our meeting rooms and kicked on a big plasma TV and watched Murray walk the second set tie break - he looks so comfortable and pretty relaxed. the other guy is a twitching bag of nerves......

I P Knightley
The Argie is going backwards quicker than the Belgrano in an exclsion zone.

I think part of the problem with the Belgrano was that it did anything but go backwards! Downwards, eventually, but not backwards!!

Does anyone know whether, in this remarkable streak of 30 match wins (or whatever), Del Potro came up against anyone top 5 or otherwise of note? He doesn't look anything special and the only reason we've had two tiebreaks is that our man Murray has that habit of making an arse of the random game here and there.

Murray breaks him and the Argie is chucking his racket about.

:P

the argentinian smashes his racket after a mistake - murray just made a mistake and he gave himslef a tap on the head with his racket - nive little scottish touch there

3-1 Murray third set and he is serving

I P Knightley
Murray breaks him and the Argie is chucking his racket about.

Consolidation will take him to 4-1. It'll then be: 4-2, 5-2 & 5-3 before Murray serves for the match and he'll......

I don't know that I can watch this. But I ain't going to sleep. Another Pinot Grigio and on a school night as well!

Edit: scrap that - he never bothered to consolidate. Good man, Andy! Never, ever let them tell you you're predictable!!

I P Knightley
I think to be fair to the Argentine nation, it was 200 miles outside the exclusion zone when it got banjo'd (and heading away from it!).

The milk-snatcher and pioneer of euthenasia in Scotland/any other cold part of the UK didnt give a sheet -she had an election to win, who cares about a fewforeigners.

I will rejoice when she finally dies. Her policies killed hundreds of old folk with scrapping winter fuel allowance to save a few pennies on extra polis to finalise her plans to turn britain into a big call centre.

Hoor.

Yeah, yeah. But did you see that topspin backhand drive down the line to take it to 40-0?

Sheesh!!

;)

I P Knightley
And Del Potro breaks.

You didn't think it was going to be that straightforward did you?

:sad:

I don't think anyone predicted straight sets, did they? I'd have remembered giving them a spot of grief :).

Ach - bed time calls.

I don't think anyone predicted straight sets, did they? I'd have remembered giving them a spot of grief :).

Ach - bed time calls.

A break up in the third I think it looked like it was heading for straight sets. I'm pleased he lost that set, didn't see the first two so want to see more tennis. Hope he takes it in the 5th.

;)

Chad Sexington

The body language of the two players has totally reversed.

Murray looks beaten already. He needs to pull his finger out.

Well done Andy, made it difficult for himself as usual. Bring on Nadal/Fish!! Would it not be typical Murray to beat Nadal/Fish then lose in the Final?

Well done Andy, made it difficult for himself as usual. Bring on Nadal/Fish!! Would it not be typical Murray to beat Nadal/Fish then lose in the Final?

Eh, naw. He's never been this far.

I think whoever Murray faces in the next round, he will lose!

Nadal - Seems to have Murray's number, and is pretty much unstoppable just now

Fish - Even if he beats Nadal, the British press would still say Murray was a massive favourite to reach his first final, and would heap so much pressure on him that he would fail imo

Although, I think it will be Rafa, and he will beat Murray in straight sets as usual!

I P Knightley
I think whoever Murray faces in the next round, he will lose!

Nadal - Seems to have Murray's number, and is pretty much unstoppable just now

Fish - Even if he beats Nadal, the British press would still say Murray was a massive favourite to reach his first final, and would heap so much pressure on him that he would fail imo

Although, I think it will be Rafa, and he will beat Murray in straight sets as usual!

Hard is Nadal's weakest (least strong) surface as it takes the edge off the awesome spin he generates, giving his oppo an easier target.

Hard is Murray's strongest surface as he has to think less about his footwork and can get on with his natural, instinctive game.

A gubbing on clay or grass would've been a more or less foregone conclusion.

The fact that Fish (not a player notably marked out for greatness) took the opening set suggests Nadal is vulnerable. If Murray edges his nose in front, it could be quite a close thing.

18 months or so ago, on the hard couts in Australia, Murray gave Nadal a real scare. Murray has come on more in the intervening period than Nadal has and although Nadal is overall the better player, Murray's not out of this at all.

It's intriguing, for certain!

Hard is undoubtedly Murray's best surface, and Nadal's weakest, but Rafa showed in Beijing that he is getting better on the surface. I just feel Rafa always has a major phsycological edge over Murray, and Murray has had 2 very tough matches in the last 2 rounds, which will have taken their toll physically on him

Gavsy Van Gaverson
Hard is undoubtedly Murray's best surface, and Nadal's weakest, but Rafa showed in Beijing that he is getting better on the surface. I just feel Rafa always has a major phsycological edge over Murray, and Murray has had 2 very tough matches in the last 2 rounds, which will have taken their toll physically on him

I think you are getting confused.

He hammered Wawrinka in the last round in 3 straight sets (1 hr 40 mins) so overall he should be in quite good shape on Saturday.

Nadal has actually, for once in his life, looked fatigued lately. Not surprisning really as he keep winning nearly everything he enters.

Nadal will probably win in 4 or 5 sets, but it should be a cracker - similar to the match they had at the Aussie Open 18 months or so ago.

I think you are getting confused.

He hammered Wawrinka in the last round in 3 straight sets (1 hr 40 mins) so overall he should be in quite good shape on Saturday.

Nadal has actually, for once in his life, looked fatigued lately. Not surprisning really as he keep winning nearly everything he enters.

Nadal will probably win in 4 or 5 sets, but it should be a cracker - similar to the match they had at the Aussie Open 18 months or so ago.

Was forgetting about his demolition of Wawrinka, and remembering his previous match against Melzer :o

I thought Nadal was starting to look fatigued in the Cincinatti masters, but then he went and found another reserve for the Olympics. In hindsight, I think 4 sets probably sounds about right though, as Nadal is not managing to maintain his top level for a full match at the moment

It was a great win, especially under the circumstances. I just wish he'd make it easier on himself (and folk watching!) by just closing out sets when he has the advantage.

Would be fantastic to see him beating Nadal but I can't see it. I think the first set is massive because if he can win it, Nadal might feel the pressure. Once Nadal gets ahead in any match, it's virtually impossible to beat him. Murray's got nothing to lose though and in terms of his confidence and Nadal's tiredness, it might be the best chance to play him.

Archived