Salmond...

coppercrutch

See above post by myself. You are what I think they call 'Pwned'....:P

Again over to you Toggie. Or are you just going to avoid the question again for the second time ? That is fine. Up to you. But will make you look rather pathetic. Again. Over to you.

If you are a spokeperson by profession - you are not doing a great job of it.

I'm not a spokesperson per se.

And you've not proved your point. So me a quote where Salmond says he does not support British athletes.

I never said it wasn't true. I said it speculation.

If you can not grasp this single aspect of debating I suggest you retire from these public humiliations.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this_is_my_story
What are you talking about ? I have explained to people that most don't know what the word bigot means. I am right whether you like it or not. What has this got to do with my dislike of Salmond ? I am a bigot. I do not tolerate his views. That amkes me a bigot. I am sure you are a bigot too.

If he were dead it would not bother me in the slightest, but I was just being OTT in saying that I wanted him dead. Is that ok with you ? The next time I want to clarify my point will I check with yourself first to make sure it's ok ?

Your above post does not seem to have a point.

That "horse has bolted" ? What are you talking about ? Maybe you should be in the Olympics forum. ;)

:welldone:

Might not be a bad idea, so as not to make such an arse of yourself in future, aye!

this_is_my_story
I'm not a spokesperson per se.

And you've not proved your point. So me a quote where Salmond says he does not support British athletes.

I never said it wasn't true. I said it speculation.

If you can not grasp this single aspect of debating I suggest you retire from these public humiliations.

Would rather see a few more to be honest! Quality, so they are. I didn't even go as far as entering the debate, just poked a wee bit fun and him and look at the reaction I got!

coppercrutch
He says 'it's a great day for British Sport' - where is the praising athletes?

Jeez. You should just give up. Praising British Sport is not praising British athletes.............what ****ing planet do you live on. :eek:

Arguing to the Nth degree when I have clearly made a point you simply don't have the balls to admit to.

The fact is Salmond does not support British athletes. You have said that is an 'accusation'. Not an accusation. Just the simple truth,

I think most will find it pathetic he can't even support British athletes.

Go on prove your point. Or give it a rest. You usually love to drawl through news items to prove a point. So do it now. Or give it a break.

Your posts will remain as a reminder that you don't really know what you are talking about.

SALMOND DOES NOT SUPPORT BRITISH ATHLETES.

FACT AND A PATHETIC FACT AT THAT.

Unless you wish to PROVE the opposite.

Again, over to you Toggie.

:)

Would rather see a few more to be honest! Quality, so they are. I didn't even go as far as entering the debate, just poked a wee bit fun and him and look at the reaction I got!

They are indeed fun and brighten up my day. I feel I need a knew challenge though. I exposed of Therapist about a year ago, I8Hibsh...is well...I8hibsh and coppercrutch didn't put up much of a fight.

Jeez. You should just give up. Praising British Sport is not praising British athletes.............what ****ing planet do you live on. :eek:

Arguing to the Nth degree when I have clearly made a point you simply don't have the balls to admit to.

The fact is Salmond does not support British athletes. You have said that is an 'accusation'. Not an accusation. Just the simple truth,

Go on prove your point. Or give it a rest. You usually love to drawl through news items to prove a point. So do it now. Or give it a break.

Your posts will remain as a reminder that you don't really know what you are talking about.

Unless you wish to PROVE the opposite.

Again, over to you Toggie.

GOD EXIST AND IS EVERYWHERE.

Prove the opposite.

That is what you are saying. You are making up a point, then asking to someone to prove the opposite. It doesn't work like that.

coppercrutch
They are indeed fun and brighten up my day. I feel I need a knew challenge though. I exposed of Therapist about a year ago, I8Hibsh...is well...I8hibsh and coppercrutch didn't put up much of a fight.

Jeez you need help. Comprehensively debated to a pulp and you think you have won. :rolleyes:

Your glorious leader does not even support British athletes. Pathetic. Shows everyone what a small minded person he really is.

Jeez you need help. Comprehensively debated to a pulp and you think you have won. :rolleyes:

Your glorious leader does not even support British athletes. Pathetic. Shows everyone what a small minded person he really is.

"This is a fantastic achievement for Chris Hoy and Ross Edgar." Alex Salmond

coppercrutch
GOD EXIST AND IS EVERYWHERE.

Prove the opposite.

That is what you are saying. You are making up a point, then asking to someone to prove the opposite. It doesn't work like that.

I am not making up anything. Salmond does not support British athletes. It is pathetic.

I support this man. A great Scot and a great Brit. Your glorious leader would not say the same. Pathetic. You enjoy this pic now. Have a look at what is in his hand and he is clearly very proud of. I will get the latest pic from today once it is available. Bet you cant wait. :P

20080329_KEIRIN_FINAL_HOY_FLAG_550B.JPG

Can I ask who's dad is bigger than who's?

EDIT: Not really wanting to enter this debate but you do realise that the Scottish flag was banned along with English flag, Welsh etc CC? So, Hoy really had no choice did he?

coppercrutch
"This is a fantastic achievement for Chris Hoy and Ross Edgar." Alex Salmond

See that wasn't difficult after all !! Long live King Salmond !!

So your leader does support GB athletes. Fair enough. Now just show me where this quote can be found and we can be done.

So your leader does support GB athletes. Fair enough. Now just show me where this quote can be found and we can be done.

If true, will you be apologising to the fat one then? :rolleyes:

coppercrutch
Can I ask who's dad is bigger than who's?

EDIT: Not really wanting to enter this debate but you do realise that the Scottish flag was banned along with English flag, Welsh etc CC? So, Hoy really had no choice did he?

It wasn't banned at previous events when he was more than happy to hold hte Union Flag. I imagine Hoy just realises what team he is part of. When he is riding for Scotland he will no doubt have a Lion Rampart or a Saltire. As he should.

He is Scottish and British, and is clearly very happy with that. I think people should remember that.

Come on, now. A man of your googling skills should have no difficult finding this.

In any case, does Ross Edgar not represent Scotland in many events...?

I am not making up anything. Salmond does not support British athletes. It is pathetic.

I support this man. A great Scot and a great Brit. Your glorious leader would not say the same. Pathetic. You enjoy this pic now. Have a look at what is in his hand and he is clearly very proud of. I will get the latest pic from today once it is available. Bet you cant wait. :P

20080329_KEIRIN_FINAL_HOY_FLAG_550B.JPG

Ooooh nothing to do with representing team GB and Saltires being banned from all Olympic venues is it? Did you see his dad with banner? Not a UJ in sight, two nice wee saltires though.

coppercrutch
If true, will you be apologising to the fat one then? :rolleyes:

If true of course !! I don't mind that. Unlike a lot of people on this site who take themselves far too seriously.

Now I don't like you referring to him as 'The fat one'..

;)

Of course he may be quite switched on and realise waving his own flag may **** off most of the country? Just a thought mind. It wouldnt exactly be great press now would it?

It'll be President Salmond soon...

Sunday Mirror

August 17, 2008 Sunday

Scots Edition

THE HOY DONE GOOD;

BEIJING 2008 SCOTS BIKE STAR'S THIRD GOLD ALL SET TO GO FOR A FOURTH ROSS'S SILVER IS A TOP BONUS

BYLINE: BY THOMAS SMITH AND NICK OWENS

SECTION: NEWS; Pg. 6

LENGTH: 725 words

BRILLIANT Scots cycle hero Chris Hoy lifted his THIRD Olympic gold medal yesterday - and immediately started planning how to grab number four.

A sensational performance by the Edinburgh-born 32-year-old saw him triumph in the Keirin, an eight-lap race in the velodrome.

And moments after securing the third Olympic gold of his career - his second of the Beijing games - the emotional Scot plucked lawyer girlfriend Sarra Kemp, 28, from the crowd to celebrate the victory.

Last night, as he came to terms with the news that he's now Scotland's most successful Olympian, Hoy was already planning how to win his next gold medal in the individual sprint later this week.

He beamed: "It means everything to me. But I'll take it one step at a time.

"It's going to be a three-day event now, so Sunday is the qualification for the first round.

"I plan to get to bed early tonight, try to get as much rest and food inside me as possible and then come back with the fire in my belly for number three."

Asked how it felt becoming Scotland's top Olympian, modest Hoy admitted that the news hadn't quite sunk in. He said: "I didn't realise that. You don't think about these things."

And Chris - who was inspired to take up cycling by watching the bike scenes in the film ET as a child - added: "When you get to the start line you don't think about podiums or medals."

Yesterday's triumph added gold medal number three to Hoy's collection, which began at the 2004 Olympics in the 1km time trial.

Gold number two arrived on Friday, after Team GB beat France in the men's sprint final.

Hoy's Olympic excellence was hailed by First Minister Alex Salmond, who also heaped praise on fellow-Scot Ross Edgar, who landed silver behind Hoy in the Keirin sprint.

Mr Salmond said: "This is a fantastic achievement for Chris Hoy and Ross Edgar.

This was the 'Braveheart final' and Chris and Ross did Scotland proud.

"Chris Hoy is now Scotland's most successful Olympian, as well as one of our best-ever athletes. We all hope he lands a third gold in his final event this week."

Mr Salmond will host a gala reception at Edinburgh Castle for Scotland's Olympic heroes when they return home.

Ross Edgar's silver medal made sure British athletes enjoyed a sensational Saturday of NINE medal wins.

The other successes included those of ace swimmer Rebecca Adlington who picked up her second gold of the games, plus Britain's rowers who won gold in the coxless fours and cyclist Bradley Wiggins who picked up a gold too in the individual persuit on a day of glory.

Women's duo Elise Laverick and Anna Bebington and men's duo Matthew Wells and Steve Row botham both took bronze in the rowing.

And Steven Burke and Chris Newton won bronze in the cycling in the most memorable day of the Games so far for British athletes and fans.

Born in Suffolk, 25-year-old Edgar's Scottish roots allowed him to represent Scotland at the Commonwealth Games.

Although he missed out in the team sprint triumph, Edgar was delighted to get among the medals. He said: "The team sprint was hard, the guys put in a phenomenal ride. It was a shame I couldn't be part of it but I'm still so delighted I can't put it into words."

The haul yesterday saw Britain sitting at number six in the medal table with seven golds, three silvers and seven bronze.

Meanwhile, the Sunday Mirror can reveal that Hoy's fitness fanatic girlfriend Sarra is giving him a run for his money.

Sarra is in Beijing to cheer Chris to Olympic glory.

The 28-year-old lawyer from Edinburgh hugged Hoy's parents David and Carol and pregnant sister Carrie, amid amazing scenes at the Olympic velodrome yesterday.

But just weeks before her famous boyfriend jetted out to the Olympics, Sarra was also in the saddle, raising cash for cancer sufferers.

She took part in May's Maggie's Monster Bike and Hike, in aid of Maggie's cancer care centres across the UK.

Sponsoring Sarra to the tune of pounds 50, Chris offered left his girlfriend some expert advice on a donations website.

He joked: "Sarra - Don't forget to shave your legs for aerodynamics..."

Sarra was part of a team from the Edinburgh solicitor's firm where she works, taking on the gruelling 73-mile cycle and hike from Fort William to Invermoriston.

Sporty Sarra also enjoys running and took part in The Great Scottish Run half-marathon two years ago, crossing the line in a respectable two hours and 24 minutes.

coppercrutch
Come on, now. A man of your googling skills should have no difficult finding this.

In any case, does Ross Edgar not represent Scotland in many events...?

Oh dear, you are right !! Ross Edgar does represent Scotland.

Back to square one Toggie. Still - Salmond congratulating an 'English un' with Scottish ancestry is probably as close as we will get. :)

coppercrutch

Toggie after all that Edgar is an honorary Jock.....

Come on you can find another one !! Get me a proper English one this time !!

Back to square one Toggie. Still - Salmond congratulating an 'English un' with Scottish ancestry is probably as close as we will get. :)

Ohh wait a minute...

Is Chris Hoy and Ross Edgar not British athletes?

I thought Chris Hoy was 'proud to be Scottish and British'? Surely this evidence of Salmond supporting team GB.

Game. Set. Match.

It is truly enlightening to read the two of you arguing over this. You could not make it up.

Ohh wait a minute...

I thought Chris Hoy was 'proud to be Scottish and British'? Surely this evidence of Salmond supporting team GB.

Game. Set. Match.

Well done, it's only taken you about 50 posts to point this out...

coppercrutch
Ooooh nothing to do with representing team GB and Saltires being banned from all Olympic venues is it? Did you see his dad with banner? Not a UJ in sight, two nice wee saltires though.

You are just agreeing with my entire point !!

He is REPRESENTING GB so why did Salmond have to describe it as a 'Braveheart' final and say he did 'Scotland proud'.

The simple fact that Salmond could not bring himself to say 'Britain' is what I find pathetic.

It doesn't matter if he agrees with it or not. The simple fact is Hoy represented team GB and Salmond knows that. The fact he could not bare to say 'Britain' is very childish behaviour for someone in such a position of power.

If even uber Nationalist Toggie appreciates Hoy was representing GB and not Scotland - maybe Salmond should too...

coppercrutch
Ohh wait a minute...

Game. Set. Match.

No - because he describes them as SCOTTISH !!!

He simply cannot accept they are representing team GB. Your very nice article shows that perfectly.

The Mighty Thor

Surely Salmond publicly supporting Chris Hoy and Ross Edgar is in fact him supporting British athletes given that both are in Beijing representing GB & NI or does that FACT not fit the argument?

If you cast your mind back to this afternoon we already established that you had jumped to the conclusion that Scotland's First Minister, Mr Alex Salmond didn't conratulate other British athletes when all he had in fact done was praise the two athletes that come from Scotland, the country where Mr Salmond serves as First Minister.

Now 7 or 8 hours and a good deal of internet hysteria later it's once again being stated as FACT that Salmond does not support British athletes when in fact he clearly does as we have already established.

Perhaps you can explain the fact or facts and supply the articles where Scotland's First Minister says he doesn't support British athletes (several of whom are Scots)

over to you sir.

Surely Salmond publicly supporting Chris Hoy and Ross Edgar is in fact him supporting British athletes given that both are in Beijing representing GB & NI or does that FACT not fit the argument?

If you cast your mind back to this afternoon we already established that you had jumped to the conclusion that Scotland's First Minister, Mr Alex Salmond didn't conratulate other British athletes when all he had in fact done was praise the two athletes that come from Scotland, the country where Mr Salmond serves as First Minister.

Now 7 or 8 hours and a good deal of internet hysteria later it's once again being stated as FACT that Salmond does not support British athletes when in fact he clearly does as we have already established.

Perhaps you can explain the fact or facts and supply the articles where Scotland's First Minister says he doesn't support British athletes (several of whom are Scots)

over to you sir.

I am sure that a man of "The Economist's" intelligence realises all this.

You are just agreeing with my entire point !!

He is REPRESENTING GB so why did Salmond have to describe it as a 'Braveheart' final and say he did 'Scotland proud'.

The simple fact that Salmond could not bring himself to say 'Britain' is what I find pathetic.

It doesn't matter if he agrees with it or not. The simple fact is Hoy represented team GB and Salmond knows that. The fact he could not bare to say 'Britain' is very childish behaviour for someone in such a position of power.

If even uber Nationalist Toggie appreciates Hoy was representing GB and not Scotland - maybe Salmond should too...

The fact it was two Scots in the final made it a Braveheart final.

IT doesn't matter if Salmond supports Team GB or not. He is First Minister of Scotland, not the UK and does support the Scottish contingent in Team GB - which means he supports Team GB.

I must say, I'm getting very bored with this. All you can argue about it the meaning of words ffs. You're still on the "everyone's a bigot" spiel from yesterday.

The fat fascist is just a f****** nuisance

I wish he would just feck off and get hit by a steamroller :)

He is the biggest bigot i have ever seen. Mods I am sorry but i strongly belive that the fat mess is a bigot. i am entitled to my thoughts

His extreme nationalism is quite concenring and the chubby mess MUST BE STOPPED

Good to see some intelligent contributions. :eek:

over to you sir.

This is what I've been trying to tell him. If he says something, then goes 'FACT' in the way he likes to do - then it is up to him to prove that 'Fact' and not someone else prove the opposite.

coppercrutch

over to you sir.

Show me where he describes them as British and we can be done. Until then I am afraid the fact he describes Hoy as 'Scottish' when in winning this medal he was 'British' is the point of debate.

How won this medal as a Brit. Salmond congratulated him as a Scot. That is what I find wrong. Especially as Hoy is clearly more than happy to be classed as British.

If he was winning a medal for Scotland I would be delighted to hear Salmond congratulate him as a Scot.

Again all we need is one single teeny weeny quote from Salmond congratulating a British athlete and we can be done with this. Considering how often he likes to open his mouth that can't be too difficult.

The Mighty Thor
This is what I've been trying to tell him. If he says something, then goes 'FACT' in the way he likes to do - then it is up to him to prove that 'Fact' and not someone else prove the opposite.

I'll give him his due, he's a trier. Keeps the board entertaining and full of lively exchanges.

coppercrutch
The fact it was two Scots in the final made it a Braveheart final.

IT doesn't matter if Salmond supports Team GB or not. He is First Minister of Scotland, not the UK and does support the Scottish contingent in Team GB - which means he supports Team GB.

I must say, I'm getting very bored with this. All you can argue about it the meaning of words ffs. You're still on the "everyone's a bigot" spiel from yesterday.

Finally he admits it. :)

Salmond only supports the Scottish section of the team. As I have said all along pretty small minded, petty and childish of a man leading a political party.

Again all we need is one single teeny weeny quote from Salmond congratulating a British athlete and we can be done with this.

Every time Salmond congratulates a Scottish athlete, he is congratulating a British athlete. That is a FACT, and should be obvious to anyone.

What motivates the words of congratulations is a separate matter. That is a matter of OPINION, the majority of which should also be obvious to anyone.

The Mighty Thor
Show me where he describes them as British and we can be done. Until then I am afraid the fact he describes Hoy as 'Scottish' when in winning this medal he was 'British' is the point of debate.

How won this medal as a Brit. Salmond congratulated him as a Scot. That is what I find wrong. Especially as Hoy is clearly more than happy to be classed as British.

If he was winning a medal for Scotland I would be delighted to hear Salmond congratulate him as a Scot.

Again all we need is one single teeny weeny quote from Salmond congratulating a British athlete and we can be done with this. Considering how often he likes to open his mouth that can't be too difficult.

He doesn't have to. They are in Beijing representing GB & NI and not Scotland ergo they are British.

Do you know if Chris Hoy is unhappy to be described as a Scot? Has Chris Hoy expressed his distaste at Scotland's First Minister clebrating his magnificent achievement by calling him Scotlands greatest ever Olympian? If you could provide eveidence to that effect that would be excellent.

coppercrutch
Every time Salmond congratulates a Scottish athlete, he is congratulating a British athlete. That is a FACT, and should be obvious to anyone.

What motivates the words of congratulations is a separate matter. That is a matter of OPINION, the majority of which should also be obvious to anyone.

Nope. He is congratulating a Scottish athlete. Have you not read his quote ? We all know these athletes are representing Britain so we should call them British. I am happy doing that, so are you, so even is Toggie !!

So what is stopping Salmond from doing the same..

coppercrutch
He doesn't have to. They are in Beijing representing GB & NI and not Scotland ergo they are British.

Do you know if Chris Hoy is unhappy to be described as a Scot? Has Chris Hoy expressed his distaste at Scotland's First Minister clebrating his magnificent achievement by calling him Scotlands greatest ever Olympian? If you could provide eveidence to that effect that would be excellent.

Yes exactly. So Salmond should describe them as such. Not difficult is it. I am sure Hoy has no problem being described as a Scot. That is not the point. The point is he is representing GB and Salmond should have the respect to acknowledge that fact. I have seen nothing that shows that in any way.

Nope. He is congratulating a Scottish athlete. Have you not read his quote ? We all know these athletes are representing Britain so we should call them British. I am happy doing that, so are you, so even is Toggie !!

Possibly because he views JKB and knows it will annoy the hell out of you and I8hibs. :rolleyes:

I repeat. Every time someone congratulates a Scottish athlete, they are congratulating a British athlete. That, me old mucker, is an indisputable FACT.

The Mighty Thor
Yes exactly. So Salmond should describe them as such. Not difficult is it. I am sure Hoy has no problem being described as a Scot. That is not the point. The point is he is representing GB and Salmond should have the respect to acknowledge that fact. I have seen nothing that shows that in any way.

If Hoy has no issue with being called a Scot (which he is) and Salmond has called him a Scot, in fact he called him Scotlands greatest ever olympian, then surely there's no issue to be debated and you are raising your blood pressure unnecessarily. :rolleyes:

So Salmond should describe them as such.

Why? I am genuinely intrigued as to what you believe the leader of the SNP and First Minister of Scotland is obliged to say in such circumstances.

would u get so wound up if someone had congratulated him as being an athlete from Edinburgh?

Harry Palmer

May I put my tuppence worth into this 'debate'?

Mr Salmond is a politician and like any politician will pounce upon the opportunity for good press. (?) I was not remotely surprised that he commented on (Sir)Chris and his achievements.

Today, (Sir)Chris became the first Briton to win 3 Golds at an Olympics for 100 yrs. He will also have the vellodrome that will be used in Glasgow2014 named after him(according to the current Glasgow chief), so Mr Salmond is not the only politician to acknowledge his feats. I expect Mr Brown to also use the accomplishments of the British team to aid his standing.

Whilst, I am Scottish, I have enjoyed watching the Olympics away from the intense rivalry that would be experienced from more 'passionate' sports that would cloud my judgement. I have been pleased when a British team or competitor has won, however, I cheered slightly more whilst watching (Sir)Chris. Why? He's the best and Britain and Scotland should be very proud.

would u get so wound up if someone had congratulated him as being an athlete from Edinburgh?

The thought had crossed my mind. I also wonder what he would make of Hoy's Dad saying he is proud of his son, without accentuating his Britishness.

Patrick Bateman

Salmond doesn't represent England, he represents Scotland. So he's not going to be asked any questions about Non-Scottish athletes and therefore cannot comment on them.

I hope this clears everything up.

coppercrutch

You know that is not what Salmond was doing.:P

He was using this guys great achievement to yet again pander to his own agenda. There was no need for it. He simply couldn't help himself. The 'Braveheart' nonsense proves it for me.

He could have come out and said Hoy had done Britain and Scotland proud. Like pretty much everyone else I have spoken to has said.

And yes Mr McLaren I reckon he may just do this to wind me and I8 up. He is doing a good job at it !!

You know that is not what Salmond was doing.:P

He was using this guys great achievement to yet again pander to his own agenda. There was no need for it. He simply couldn't help himself. The 'Braveheart' nonsense proves it for me.

He could have come out and said Hoy had done Britain and Scotland proud. Like pretty much everyone else I have spoken to has said.

And yes Mr McLaren I reckon he may just do this to wind me and I8 up. He is doing a good job at it !!

coppercrutch
Why? I am genuinely intrigued as to what you believe the leader of the SNP and First Minister of Scotland is obliged to say in such circumstances.

He is obliged to describe them for what they are - Athletes representing team GB. He did not do that. The only reason I can see is pettiness. If others see differently that is up to them. I can see Salmond for what he is.

Archived