create the special Gorgie atmosphere which is now lacking since the

introduction of all seated stadiums ?

I will start with

''Hit him on the head '' '' Hit him on the head '' '' Hit him on the head with

a baseball bat oh yeah ''

'' Dixon of Dockgreen ''

on the beat all day

on the wife all night`

This song was sung if a fan/ned/hooly was arrested and marched around the red stoned trackside

How times have changed

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are the gorgie boys. Hello, Hello, you'll know us by our noise!

A real rousing song, before the PC brigade shot it down.

Csaba's Broon Shoes

An old classic

A lot of English clubs still sing it with non-religious words

the way it should be sung now

An old classic

the way it should be sumg now

It's up there with the point when we get to "follow the Hearts and, you can't go wrong".

The PC circus has deprived us of it now though.

Miller Jambo 60

Have to laugh guys our songs are banned but we go to the weegie holes and we listen to bile.

We are a big team and the weegie teams hate us but we have our own songs like.

THE HIBEES ARE GAY.

Great love it .:107years::107years::107years::107years:

Everywhere Hearts go

We will follow them

Hampden,Ibrox,Parkhead or Dens

We will go to all of their games

And the whole wide world will know

Everywhere Hearts go

A real oldie 50s poss 40s or b4

Pants Shaton

Is it political correctness to obect to singing about 'being up to our knees in fenian blood' or just a normal standard of human behaviour?

Csaba's Broon Shoes
Is it political correctness to obect to singing about 'being up to our knees in fenian blood' or just a normal standard of human behaviour?

There is always one

it hasn't taken long to lower the tone

how shallow and narrow

coppercrutch

Is disliking a huge number of people simply because of the team they support a normal standard of human behaviour?

Is calling an entire group of supporters homosexual simply because we find it amusing a normal standard of human behaviour?

Is abusing a linesman for being fat - who is simply doing his job, a normal standard of human behaviour?

Is laughing when someone shouts abuse at a player about their wife a normal standard of human behaviour?

...;)

Doctor FinnBarr

I always sang Hibee blood!

:wacko:

An old classic

the way it should be sung now

Spot on! That was a classic at Tynie!

davemclaren
Is disliking a huge number of people simply because of the team they support a normal standard of human behaviour?

Is calling an entire group of supporters homosexual simply because we find it amusing a normal standard of human behaviour?

Is abusing a linesman for being fat - who is simply doing his job, a normal standard of human behaviour?

Is laughing when someone shouts abuse at a player about their wife a normal standard of human behaviour?

...;)

So are they all ok to do or all wrong in your opinion? Is there nothing that is off limits in a football song?

Csaba's Broon Shoes

'' He is fat ''

''He is round ''

''He bounces of the ground ''

'' Jimmy Bone , Jimmy Bone ''

sorry i was not being a fatist or sizeist

coppercrutch
So are they all ok to do or all wrong in your opinion? Is there nothing that is off limits in a football song?

Can't be bothered with one of these again !!

Who knows, people sing things at football they don't really mean. Most of it ends up as only that - words.

Calling someone fat, ugly, abusing their wife, a fenian or a hun.

I am not going to decide what is acceptable or not. I don't quite understand how anyone else has the right to do the same thing.

More important things in this World to worry about instead of someone being called a fenian, hun or whatever.

Anyway that is all by me. Been through this all before !!

shaun.lawson

...;)

Answer: all are acceptable within the strange, almost inexplicable world of footballing pseudo-hatred. But songs based on sectarianism are not, because they imply real hatred based purely on someone's faith. If racism is considered beyond the pale at football matches, then so must sectarianism.

davemclaren

...;)

Can't be bothered with one of these again !!

Who knows, people sing things at football they don't really mean. Most of it ends up as only that - words.

Calling someone fat, ugly, abusing their wife, a fenian or a hun.

I am not going to decide what is acceptable or not. I don't quite understand how anyone else has the right to do the same thing.

More important things in this World to worry about instead of someone being called a fenian, hun or whatever.

Anyway that is all by me. Been through this all before !!

If you can;'t be bothered then why post on the thread in the first place. :) I can't be bothered either....

coppercrutch

Anyway I liked the Eamonn Bannon song. IIRC most used to sing it with a smile on their face. :)

BTW - What was the Micky Weir song that invoved the word 'queer' ?

coppercrutch
If you can;'t be bothered then why post on the thread in the first place. :) I can't be bothered either....

Because this thread was supposed to be a nice look back at old songs we used to sing. Whether they were 'acceptable' or not shouldn't really matter. However someone had to come along and start the whole 'Hello Hello' debate again that will never have a resolution. :rolleyes:

Wasn't me !!

Anyway I liked the Eamonn Bannon song. IIRC most used to sing it with a smile on their face. :)

Canny mind one with the word queer, though I do remember the "he's gay, he's bent, his ar$e is up for rent....Mickey Weir, Mickey Weir!" one :)

coppercrutch
Answer: all are acceptable within the strange, almost inexplicable world of footballing pseudo-hatred. But songs based on sectarianism are not, because they imply real hatred based purely on someone's faith. If racism is considered beyond the pale at football matches, then so must sectarianism.

A lot of people really hate fat people. A lot of people shout abuse at football by calling players or officials fat.

A lot of people really hate gay people. A lot of people shout abuse at football by calling players or officials gay.

So by your logic we cannot shout this sort of abuse at football either.

My point being there are a lot of 'grey' areas when it comes to football. I don't really get bothered by them, some do - I just don't see the point.

Anyway that is me done !!

shaun.lawson
Because this thread was supposed to be a nice look back at old songs we used to sing. Whether they were 'acceptable' or not shouldn't really matter. However someone had to come along and start the whole 'Hello Hello' debate again that will never have a resolution. :rolleyes:

Wasn't me !!

Indeed not. It was Craigieboy. In response to the approval his comments generated, GMAN posted an entirely reasonable question - to which you responded in turn. That was your choice, so don't start coming over all disingenuous when someone picks you up on it: this is a messageboard designed to debate things, after all.

Wasn't me !!

It was Craigieboy who turned into a debate about political correctness.

It's starting to annoy me now that everything is now blamed on the so-called "PC brigade". Does not wanting to sing about "fenian blood" or "billy boys" make you part of the PC brigade or could it just be that you don't believe in any of those words and don't see why it should be sung at a Hearts match?

coppercrutch
Canny mind one with the word queer, though I do remember the "he's gay, he's bent, his ar$e is up for rent....Mickey Weir, Mickey Weir!" one :)

Cheers - Think that is the one actually, must have been getting mixed up. I am sure there is a 'queer' song out there for someone !!

shaun.lawson
A lot of people really hate fat people. A lot of people shout abuse at football by calling players or officials fat.

A lot of people really hate gay people. A lot of people shout abuse at football by calling players or officials gay.

So by your logic we cannot shout this sort of abuse at football either.

My point being there are a lot of 'grey' areas when it comes to football. I don't really get bothered by them, some do - I just don't see the point.

Anyway that is me done !!

Yes, there are many grey areas - but a line has to be drawn somewhere. In the world that you and I live in now, bigotry in all its forms is deemed unacceptable in day to day life, and racism and sectarianism unacceptable within football. It's called progress.

Doctor FinnBarr

And Mickey Weir is known to be queer, Hibernian are going down down down.

Don't remember the start of the song tho!

;)

fatboythree

or gordon rae and alan rough

coppercrutch
Indeed not. It was Craigieboy. In response to the approval his comments generated, GMAN posted an entirely reasonable question - to which you responded in turn. That was your choice, so don't start coming over all disingenuous when someone picks you up on it: this is a messageboard designed to debate things, after all.

Someone started it - and it wasn't me. As I said. ;)

Whether they were 'acceptable' or not shouldn't really matter. However someone had to come along and start the whole 'Hello Hello' debate again that will never have a resolution

Was I talking about CraigieBoy or GMAN......that is the question....:rolleyes:

Csaba's Broon Shoes
Everywhere Hearts go

We will follow them

Everywhere Hearts go

This may have future potential to be reintroduced

"You're going home in a Gorgie Ambulance"

"Dig a hole and bury him"

"What a helluva way to die"

"Send your casuals over here"

Oh and one for the traditionalists, "For it's a grand old team to play for".

We did :)

Fond memories of the terraces me.

The Wicker Man

"He's queer, he's bent, his ...... Mickey Weir"

Molly Malone.

Various other little 'ditties' - not so pc nowadays ;)

Jam Tarts 1874

Always liked the Dixon of Dock Green bit. In my memory this usually sparked up towards the end of the first half and end of the game as the Police increased their numbers on the running track in anticipation of any "unpleasantness".

I always loved twirling the scarf to "Hey (Jam Tarts) Jude", I just wish the atmosphere would get good enough again for this to be a regular for the whole stadium.

I miss the full renditions of "his name is Drew Busby, he comes from the North etc etc" I also miss h-i-b-e-r-n-i-a-n the muppet men.......just because it's silly, but so are the hoobs.

Jingle bells, Jingle bells jingle all the way, oh what fun it is to **** the hibs on New Year's day is also conspicuous by it's absence.

Others that perhaps have had their day include "he's gay, he's bent, his **** is up for rent - Paul McStay, Paul McStay.

And just so as the younger folk know about the kind of nastiness that did take place "did you enjoy your chicken supper bobby sands?" was sung heartily for a long time! Imagine that!

Romanov Stole My Pension
Everywhere Hearts go

We will follow them

Everywhere Hearts go

What tune is that then?

Francis Albert
What songs do you remember from years gone by that we used to sing in the

old corner of the shed , the ones that we could sway along with and

create the special Gorgie atmosphere which is now lacking since the

introduction of all seated stadiums ?

I remember the old Tynecastle before the introduction of the all seated stadiums. Most of the time it the atmosphere was crap, a few hunderd in the shad singing to themselves and barely heard outside the shed. I have heard much better (of course when we are doing well as always) in the all seated stadium.

Barca-Milton

No doubt get shot in flames for this....but......

Away the lads, you shoulda seen us cumin.

Were only here to drink your beer and sh@g your f kin women

All the lads an lassies wi smiles upon their faces....

WWEELLLL cum down the albion road......so on and so on.... lol

Now I never wanted to go slashin faces.....was too young for a start, but it was a great song.

Barca-Milton

Can anyone mind the 2-1 win at easter road? Were you there when some nut case threw a parking cone through a Hibbys window cause he came onto the street and shouted abuse cause we robbed them with a McKenna & Stamp late show!!!!! Neil Janckckzxynxkznxc is a Legend!

scots civil war
I remember the old Tynecastle before the introduction of the all seated stadiums. Most of the time it the atmosphere was crap, a few hunderd in the shad singing to themselves and barely heard outside the shed. I have heard much better (of course when we are doing well as always) in the all seated stadium.

WHAT???? absolute nonsense,no atmosphere and singing to themselves? what planet are you on,

the new tynie benefits a great deal from being covered ,thus acoustically more dynamic than before

what about "penis,penis,penis"

Brian Whittaker's Tache
And just so as the younger folk know about the kind of nastiness that did take place "did you enjoy your chicken supper bobby sands?" was sung heartily for a long time! Imagine that!

I remember the Eric Schaedler song being sung at Tynecastle, definetely on par with the Bobby Sands song as far as offense causing was concerned

Doctor FinnBarr
I remember the Eric Schaedler song being sung at Tynecastle, definetely on par with the Bobby Sands song as far as offense causing was concerned

No, Sands was a terrorist, ES was unfortunate enough to take his own life (a braver man than me). Sandy Jardine stopped that with a few expletives to the Shed and rightly so!

:confused:

Usually when we were all over teams but just couldn't hit the onion bag, "For all we are saying is give us a goal" repeat as many times as necessay

A couple of numbers for JC....

Oh a... super wee lad,

a bonny wee lad,

is bonny wee John Colquhoun

He scored against United

and we were over the moon

He put the ball past Thompson

'cos Thompson is a Goon

I am a Hearts fan

and this is a Hearts fan's tune.

And the Hibs had High hopes

Hibs had High hopes

They had high apple pie in the sky hopes

But up went John Colquhoun

All dressed in maroon

Goram's scratching his hole

Oops there goes another John Colquhoun goal!!

I want to be a Hearts supporter

I want to dye my hair maroon

I want to be a Hearts supporter

I want to play like John Colquhoun

Jam Tarts 1874

Maybe you are remembering some of the 1st division seaons?

Pre the seats at Tynecastle there would be thousands under the shed singing, maybe you just happened to not be at those games.

Archived