Childhood memories that make you happy?

chester copperpot

The eager wait for the new chart rundown at 1pm on a Tuesday lunchtime. Crucially, that indicated who was going to be on Top of the Pops that week, which was, after all, your only real chance at seeing music on telly.

Taping the charts on a Sunday evening.

Playing board games and listening to soundtrack albums on a Sunday evening when there was only religious programmes on the three channels.

Getting woken up to come downstairs and watch the moon landing live, then going back upstairs and trying to see them on the moon out of bedroom window. :confused:

Arguing whether Starsky or Hutch was more likely to get it. (I was a Starsky gal, myself).

The Odeon cinema before it was carved up, with the stars on the ceiling and the statues down the sides.

Building dams on the burn in the woods (edge of Penicuik).

Browsing in proper record shops (Phoenix, Listen, Bruce's, Hot Licks, GI records......) before all the chains took over.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Denny Crane
The Toy Tub ?

If so, it was run by parents of someone at school with me.

I take it they were squeezed out by the over-inflated Toys r' us?

The Old Tolbooth
That's no way to talk about your wife.... :P

Your a brave man Dave, I've met BJ's wife and I would never be brave enough to say that! :eek:

making up stupid names for the teachers

One of my teachers was nicknamed "fartface".

16 years after I left school, I was handing out ballot papers at a trade union conference. I reached the delegation from the teachers union, and there he was. The temptation to say "Oi, fartface, how's it going?" was almost unbearable, but I said nothing. It would probably have been an inappropriate way for the president of one trade union to address the president of another. :eek:

Doctor FinnBarr
Your a brave man Dave, I've met BJ's wife and I would never be brave enough to say that! :eek:

I'm not even going to tell her!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hopeman beach in the early sixties listening to The Beatles. Just need to hear a few tunes to take me right back. Summers were hotter, winters had real snow and there was only nice people around. National Service, bring back the birch, Rhodesia etc harumph etc etc etc;)

Robbos Right Peg

The Gamp

The Nash

Clouds

In chronilogical order.........I was a glutton for punishment

chester copperpot
Great post.

Outdoor pool at portobello

Playing tig up Arthur Seat

Looking for golf balls at Duddingston and Prestonfield

Getting shouted at to come in at 9.30 at night in the summer

Fishing for sticklebacks with a net and a cane pole

Going on holiday to a caravan park in Whitley Bay or Scarborough

Ox blood polish for your Docs

Desert boots

Jumpers with three stars (what was up with that)

donkey jackets

Hearts

Bag of chips and two pickles after Hearts game

Pretending to sleep on the bus when the clippie came along

Jumping off the bus when the inspector got on

first pub pint (16)

the list is endless

Awesome post.

We must've been pals likes, I remember all them fondly too.

I think im a bit younger than most contributors so far.

Gladiators

Crystal Maze

Live N Kicking

Noel's House Party

USA '94

Subbuteo

Scaletrix (sp?)

Toys Galore

Ding dong dash

Tree Climbing

Kerby

Playing all day long on my bike

Playing fitba with anyone, any time, any place

20p mixtures

Getting a couple of quid off my grandma

Spending it immediately on Woolworths pic n mix

Getting the summer special of the Beano for holidays

Panini sticker albums (got, got, got, NEED!)

Now thats what i call music 30

chester copperpot
I think im a bit younger than most contributors so far.

Gladiators

Crystal Maze

Live N Kicking

Noel's House Party

USA '94

Subbuteo

Scaletrix (sp?)

Toys Galore

Ding dong dash

Tree Climbing

Kerby

Playing all day long on my bike

Playing fitba with anyone, any time, any place

20p mixtures

Getting a couple of quid off my grandma

Spending it immediately on Woolworths pic n mix

Getting the summer special of the Beano for holidays

Panini sticker albums (got, got, got, NEED!)

Now thats what i call music 30

It was 10p mixtures in my day junior.

Robbos Right Peg

I will see your 10p mixtures and raise you the penny (1d) tray in Willie Bauld's newsagent :P

chester copperpot
I will see your 10p mixtures and raise you the penny (1d) tray in Willie Bauld's newsagent :P

Lol fair play, JM will be along to agree with you in a minute. ;)

south morocco

bobby mhgee's under age disco on a sat afternoon

sneakin into the dogs/speedway at powderhall

exploring all the derilect buildings then like morrison and gibb printers down at tanfield(canonmills)

playing football in st marks park till dusk

skiving school and going on a bus run ,or to the museum and getting chased round the place by the security men

10p mixs

not having a care in the world was good also

many more ,great thread!

The Old Tolbooth

Shut it you!

I do remember the half penny chews however :confused:

I remember the old larger 5p piece, and the launch of the 20p and ?1 coins, and also the larger 10p coins.

(No I don't remember the florin before anyone starts lol)

P.S. The old monetary system was disbanded 3 days after I was born apparently, so I'm just old enough to say that I was a part of it.

Yeah we had 10p mixtures to, its just im a greedy bassa.

Now and again some radge would order a 50p or ?1 mixture from the icey and then be immensely popular for the next 10 mins until all their sweets were eaten

chester copperpot
Shut it you!

I do remember the half penny chews however :confused:

I remember the old larger 5p piece, and the launch of the 20p and ?1 coins, and also the larger 10p coins.

(No I don't remember the florin before anyone starts lol)

P.S. The old monetary system was disbanded 3 days after I was born apparently, so I'm just old enough to say that I was a part of it.

The old monetary system, you talking about the 1st one in 1902 mate aye. :hobofish:

Robbos Right Peg

God no not JM.

Nursie Nursie tells me it is time for me to go to the toilet or bed or something

I get so confused at my age. :sad:

chester copperpot
God no not JM.

Nursie Nursie tells me it is time for me to go to the toilet or bed or something

Hehe hehe.

Nice one.

My old man coming home with his brand new company car(Red A reg ford capri) at the time i thought this was the bolox.

My Raleigh tomahawk,my first 5 speed racer then my raleigh burner.

Our first reconditioned vcr, it weighed a ton and the top loader shot up like an offensive weapon.

chester copperpot
My old man coming home with his brand new company car(Red A reg ford capri) at the time i thought this was the bolox.

Our first reconditioned vcr, it weighed a ton and the top loader shot up like an offensive weapon.

Hehe fantastic.

The Old Tolbooth
God no not JM.

I feel I'm up against it tonight :D

Doctor FinnBarr

I can remember Blackburn Academy having 1 of those in the 70s. It was so big they had it installed in a trolley!

As a side note to this, the only thing we ever seen on it was an England v Scotland schoolboy international from about 75. 1-0 to Scotland, but we got to watch that because BA had 2 pupils in the team, Andy Johnstone and Derek Strickland (he played for us in the 80s).

:)

grumpyjambo
The Victor

Suzi Quatro

Discovering alcohol

Miss Frew

Getting pumped for the 1st time by a Daphne Broon lookalike

Winning the sweep

Sooty and Sweep, sorry rambling now!

And Slade, how could I forget Slade?

:thumb:

:fing25:

grumpyjambo
Yeah we had 10p mixtures to, its just im a greedy bassa.

Now and again some radge would order a 50p or ?1 mixture from the icey and then be immensely popular for the next 10 mins until all their sweets were eaten

3 pence mixtures for me!!!!!!

Konrad von Carstein

Things that remind me of my childhood...

All day spent in Colinton Dell fishin/swimmig

Goin to the Commie on the number 2 bus (I think it was the No 2)

If not at Colinton Dell playin football til dark

Sports mixtures

Mince pie supper for lunch out of the Sunset Chippie when at Tynecastle Annexe

Singles

Grifter bikes

Tourdies (runnin through peoples gardens)

Tapdoor run

Saughton Mains...the best place to grow up in...even now I get misty eyed when I drive past it...Busy Bee...memories...

have to stop am fillin up:cool:

Robbos Right Peg

As a side note to this, the only thing we ever seen on it was an England v Scotland schoolboy international from about 75. 1-0 to Scotland, but we got to watch that because BA had 2 pupils in the team, Andy Johnstone and Derek Strickland (he played for us in the 80s).

Never mind '67 and Jim Baxter and the likes. Robbo et all as schoolboys at Wembley for me

FFS that sounds a wee bit pervy :wacko: Almost as bad as a crazy woman in Japan :eek:

Doctor FinnBarr
Never mind '67 and Jim Baxter and the likes. Robbo et all as schoolboys at Wembley for me

FFS that sounds a wee bit pervy :wacko: Almost as bad as a crazy woman in Japan :eek:

There's a crazy woman in Japan? Best warn Lynn.

;)

Robbos Right Peg
There's a crazy woman in Japan? Best warn Lynn.

;)

FFS have you never seen hentai :) No neither have I ;)

It was Lynn that told me about Drew Busby as well

Doctor FinnBarr
FFS have you never seen hentai :) No neither have I ;)

It was Lynn that told me about Drew Busby as well

Born is the king of Tynecastle Park.

:flagwave:

Robbos Right Peg
Born is the king of Tynecastle Park.

:flagwave:

Na BJ thats Criuckie ............but I am planning to enlist he help of the Buzz Bomb to get the true 'Goalie' to Tynecastle

The Toy Tub ?

If so, it was run by parents of someone at school with me.

thats where i got all my subbuteo stuff from:)

Doctor FinnBarr
Na BJ thats Criuckie ............but I am planning to enlist he help of the Buzz Bomb to get the true 'Goalie' to Tynecastle

Good luck mate, it was scandelous the way he was treated, and Parker was meant to be a good Hearts man!

:mad:

Robbos Right Peg

Many have tried and many have failed but somehow JC has to come back to Tynie even Willie Bauld relented eventualy

Doctor FinnBarr
Many have tried and many have failed but somehow JC has to come back to Tynie even Willie Bauld relented eventualy

WB only came back because his nephew was mascot at a game (V falkirk I think).

davemclaren

Sorry Mrs BJ. :whistling:

Robbos Right Peg
WB only came back because his nephew was mascot at a game (V falkirk I think).

I hope you read that in a book recently ?? ;) As for Cruicky who knows never say never

Doctor FinnBarr
I hope you read that in a book recently ?? ;) As for Cruicky who knows never say never

No, had the programme, just gave it away to a mate that collects them!

back to topic...

Someone mentioned Dangermouse.?

Welll danger mouse for me too!!

Kola Kubes,

Kop Kops..

A 10p mixture taking at least 2 hours to consume..

Running and running in a game of tig until your lungs would burst you. will. not. be. caught. end of!

As mentioned... Panini stickers.. used to **** me off even then that the scottish clubs had two players per sticker.. yet english ones had a player on their own and twice the size!!

Rambo first blood,.

V, the alien series.. we have it o DVD and my wife watches it about twice a year! I hate it now..

XR2's looking cool..

dallas... Who shot JR?... still fantastic... we ahve approx 100 channels or so due to this sky nonsense and not one of them has a programme that can generate that much intensity and interest from an audienece as that episode of dallas did..

Being able to bunny hop anything on my bmx.. I was good and should have been a national champ.. but I wasn't. I probly wasn't that good although when I see kids just crashing the back wheel up a kerb It drives me mad... stuid lazy ignorant ungrateful little barstewards!! a bike is privelage, not a right!!

Proper pub menus with proper pub grub when we were taken for a sunday treat at lunchtime..

Wanting to get my new boots as dirty as possible in the nearet puddle so people thought I was a great player.. even though I just jumped into mud... I'm sure they knew!

Burn Running..

Throwing stones at the gypsies in dortmund so they would chase you and then yu could outflank the ****ed eejits and steal... well nothing actually they had **** all!!!

Not a happy mempory but... Mitre Mouldmaster footballs... I'm crying at the thought of one of them hitting my thigh!! ****** headering one aswell!!!!

My mum putting the gas fire in the living room on so we could get warm while getting dressed and then having rice crispies and warm milk for breakfast.. then it was off to school...

Milk break in primary school.. and then nap time! (Sorry Mgt Thatcher, that was the worst thing you ever did!! Cancelling childrens milk.. although I still love you.)

Wearing my full hearts umbro kit underneath my clothes for my first ever match.. Final score 1-1 with Celtic, 1983? certianly after xmas because i got the kit for xmas... sure it was a league game.. onw for the statisticians.. 1-1 all with the tic, circa april may 1983/4... maybe october 1983... help?

My uncle took me.. we still go to games to this day when he can make it up fae engerlung.. we went for a refreshment (he had a pint I had a coke..) in a hotel up dalry road, just before it meets slateford road,.. my uncles cousin (so i suppose my second cousin) owned it at the time.. its still there..just cant rememmber the name!

Swapping football stickers, real football stickers. Got, got, no got.

Why was the Falkirk badge in almost every packet, or was it just me....

Great thread. I mind swapping the footie stickers and seem to recall always having loads of some guy who played for Luton Town (Chuck Nwajiobi IIRC-we always had a good laugh at his name!!!).

A lot of my good childhood memories have been mentioned by other posters, but I'll add:

Playing marbles

Building ganghuts/tree houses

Making tents in the garden with your mums sheets and the travel rug from the back of your Dad's car

Running through the sprinkler in the summer (weren't the school holidays always sunny then?)

Burn bashing

Making/playing on "tarzies"

Jubilees (those cheap cartons of juice that were frozen)

Argentinas (blue and white stripey sweeties from the icey)

Chips still wrapped in newspaper

Crisps on a piece

Sledging/Pouring water down a hill in the winter so when it froze you could skeit down it

Playing rounders

Building ramps to jump over on your bike

Pegging playing cards to the spokes on your bikes (WTF?!)

Catching bees in jam jars (again what were we thinking?)

I'm sure there's loads more I'm forgetting, as for unhappy childhood memories, these spring to mind:

Being made to go to bed in the summer when it was still light outside!

1986-(needs no further explanation) I cried :(

One of my teachers was nicknamed "fartface".

16 years after I left school, I was handing out ballot papers at a trade union conference. I reached the delegation from the teachers union, and there he was. The temptation to say "Oi, fartface, how's it going?" was almost unbearable, but I said nothing. It would probably have been an inappropriate way for the president of one trade union to address the president of another. :eek:

Now that would have been funny.

:rofl:

Mac_fae_Gillie

long summer school holidays....

both my parents worked so from 8am onwards i was left alone,not bad fo an 8yr old.

loved kids TV in the late 70s/80s.

the classic b/w buckrogers/flashgordon,the flashing blade,champion the wonder horse and a stan/ollie flic.

Buying a bottle of pop from the bread van and getting money on the return bottle,keeping your eyes open for bottles to collect more.

When i was 12 getting picked by Angela in the gym for a country dance lesson,she was the class babe.

Trying to slip the march from Gracemount high to liberton kirk on the last day of term before xmas break,we all said we would try but no one ever did...

Playing rugby for the school,use to walk home in my kit covered in half dozen cuts/grazes on a friday evening,posing to the girls at the corner shop.

then that long bath to ease the naffing pain.

11yr-18yr old.Hearts

the journey to the games home or away,loved it at that age it was your 1st real freedom been allowed to go so far from home by your parents.

getting a chippie on the way home.

sounds sad but BOURBON biscuits and RIBENA juice they were treats rather than everyday things,it was cheap richtea and very diluted o/j normally.

visiting my uncle/aunt in fife,they had a nieghbour whos daughter was same age and ive yet(30yrslater)to see a girl so beautiful.

British Bulldogs and the Grand National (hedge jumping) were great fun. Used to go out for hours, no one worried where you were, would be on my bike or playing kerbie/football/chap door run.

Feel sorry for kids now, they cant do things like that, parents wont let them as too many dodgy folk about.

I was a demon at Kerbie.

One-a-touch, **** and commandoes (kids would get done just for suggesting the game, very un PC), Making a ramp for bike jumping, lightey****ey (variation of chap door run but with flaming dog doo), scouring building sites for barrs bottles

willie wallace

Waiting for my dad coming home from work on a Friday with the comics[Victor and Hotspur]and sweets.

Playing all day at Cramond or Corstorpine Woods during summer holidays.

The field at the back of our house being used for football,tennis,cricket and golf or whatever sport was on at the time.

Going into town.Anyone remember the parkies in princes st.gardens chasing you for walking on the grass.Seems weird now.

Getting ready to go to Tynie on a Saturday.

Miller Jambo 60
Great post.

Outdoor pool at portobello

Playing tig up Arthur Seat

Looking for golf balls at Duddingston and Prestonfield

Getting shouted at to come in at 9.30 at night in the summer

Fishing for sticklebacks with a net and a cane pole

Going on holiday to a caravan park in Whitley Bay or Scarborough

Ox blood polish for your Docs

Desert boots

Jumpers with three stars (what was up with that)

donkey jackets

Hearts

Bag of chips and two pickles after Hearts game

Pretending to sleep on the bus when the clippie came along

Jumping off the bus when the inspector got on

first pub pint (16)

the list is endless

Awesome post.

Playing footie all day every day during the summer hols.

Snooker at manse road with a mince pie on a piece of cardboard.

Golf at carricknowe for about 50 pence a round, going to hearts games with about 14 of my mates.

Lois jeans with the bull on the pocket.

The sweeney and top of the pops.

Corrie disco on a saturday night.

Aye great post:)

Star Wars toys

Quantum Leap

Robocop

Schwartzenegger films

Van Damme

coke and crisps in my dad's boozer

fishing

John Robertson