Shankland

Stendelnator

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Kyle1874 said:

Wish the Glasgow two would just leave and let us actually from a league that’s promoted properly and is not only focused on preserving the two teams from Glasgow at all others expense 

Exactly. Not sure the SFA would know what to do about that though.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• luckyBatistuta

• Kyle1874

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Kyle1874 said:

With danda and spittle coming in and possibly more surely they provide a lot more chances and in turn teams have to pay more attention to them leaving more space to exploit if we can keep him 

Hopefully 

Kyle1874
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Exactly. Not sure the SFA would know what to do about that though.

They would need to consult lord peter first before they could comment 

Pasquale for King
32 minutes ago, Kyle1874 said:

They would need to consult lord peter first before they could comment 

Exactly 

6 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Shows his level/limitations though. Has been a superstar for us but if he's not good enough to trouble Rangers then he's probably not good enough to play for them or for teams at their level. Not sure how much bigger than Hearts he could go and be successful. 

He’s scored again them 3 times this year. So since he never scored yesterday he’s pish? 

Teams are double/triple teaming against him now. We need our wingers/midfielders to spread the game so opposition can't leave extra players marking Shankland 

Sherbet
7 hours ago, Locky said:

All McKay needs to do there is follow his run and Shanks can play a 1-2 and he's in the box driving to the byline. Instead Shanks has to try and get it under control, turn back into the oncoming Rangers defence and hold it himself and it just totally breaks down. Now, this is a guy who's almost 30 and has played at a high level, and for me that is some really basic shit. I long for the day Barrie McKay goes.

Think mckay made the run for shankland to play him.in

Bull's-eye

Shanks overall game has been very poor by his own standards for a good few weeks now. Its not going to be acknowledged by his blinkered fanboys because we have generally been winning lately.

Doesn't mean he's Shit but he is most definitely going through a period of bad form.

Personally id like him to revert back to a number 9 and get back into the box instead of trying to play in 5 positions all at once giving the ball away and becoming increasingly and obviously very frustrated with himself and pretty much all around him.

Back to basics for me, get back to scoring goals and doing what hes best at.

boag1874
21 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Teams are double/triple teaming against him now. We need our wingers/midfielders to spread the game so opposition can't leave extra players marking Shankland 

This is it. Vargas & Forrest got loads of opportunities to get through because both Souttar & Balogun were preoccupied with Shankland, should have taken advantage of it but we never. Shankland dropping deep was tactically a good shout imo, it’s how I wanted to see us play but it didn’t work because we kept tripping ourselves up

footballingarts

Agree Shanks being played too deep hence not scoring - wonder why Naisy has done this? Also - Shanks drop in form for Jambos coincided with his call up to for Scotland friendlies  - on which topic Steve Clarke was at the semi - so that may not have helped Shank's prospects for Euros. Clarke should go by his form for whole season though - give him 90 mins and in right position Shanks will score for Scotland.

footballingarts
7 hours ago, Kyle1874 said:

Wish the Glasgow two would just leave and let us actually from a league that’s promoted properly and is not only focused on preserving the two teams from Glasgow at all others expense 

I've thought that for donkeys' years - if they'd go and play in Inguralnd we'd have a league where anyone could feasibly win it here - trouble is the Ingurlish dinae want them - maybe Turkey?

Batistuta87
2 hours ago, ecky92 said:

He’s scored again them 3 times this year. So since he never scored yesterday he’s pish? 

Not what I said at all. Not even close. I'm questioning whether he's good enough for Rangers, not saying he's pish. Way to completely misinterpret a comment 👏🏻

Ex member of the SaS
2 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Shanks overall game has been very poor by his own standards for a good few weeks now. Its not going to be acknowledged by his blinkered fanboys because we have generally been winning lately.

Doesn't mean he's Shit but he is most definitely going through a period of bad form.

Personally id like him to revert back to a number 9 and get back into the box instead of trying to play in 5 positions all at once giving the ball away and becoming increasingly and obviously very frustrated with himself and pretty much all around him.

Stated in another thread a couple of weeks ago, I feel he is trying too hard due to getting his place in the National team. Needs to calm down and play his own game and forget about all the player of the year crap and his place ( which is conformed ). Just hope he settles and gets back his mojo for next season. The other problem is the rest are trying too hard to leave the scoring to him instead of having a go themselves.

He had a decent enough game  yesterday, but poor by his standards. 

He was obviously targeted by Rangers which lead to him being well shackled ,this  freed up space for Vargas,  Forrest and Grant, they just didn't use it well and all 3 were wasteful in possession. 

2 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Absolutely spot on. He's being played out of position in an attempt to address the other deficiencies in our team. It's not a criticism of him but unfortunately others on here interpret it that way.

Romulus

Whilst he could have done better with the header at the back post, watching the highlights again the route to goal was blocked by a couple of defenders so there wasn’t that much space for him to aim at.

Was disappointed that we weren’t able to get the ball to him more, especially in and around the box.

KyleLafferty

I thought he was awful yesterday. His hold up play was non existent, he never released the ball when he should have, and the chance he did have he should have hit the target. But cause of who he is and what he has done he stayed on the park. 

But he’s allowed a shit game or two.

spacerjoe
14 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

Why can't that be the case though? If someone paid us that to sign him, go for it. I don't think he's worth that to another team, but to us, he is. I do also think Hearts is his level. He wouldn't start in the Champions League for either of the Old Firm, but he would probably start for Rangers in some league games which is... our level.

People on here would say they'd take Shankland over Ellis Simms. I saw Simms was terrorising Man Utd at Wembley today. Would Shankland do that? No. But Shankland would score more goals in Scotland than Simms. We suit him too because he's not pushed to do more than he's capable of. Football is not binary. Shankland is a great player for us. It's just like Rudi Skacel. He flopped at higher levels than us, but we all thought he was too good for us.

Did Simms terrorise the Rangers defence in the 2022 final? Not in the slightest.

Could Shankland have done the same to Man Utd, playing in that Coventry team surrounded by players far more talented than our's?

The only marker for whether he could or not is to look at his games for Scotland. Against the Dutch he played as well as any of the English based players, including the captain of Aston Villa. Yes, he missed a good chance you'd expect him to finish, but he did not look out of place at all. He was roundly praised for being more to that role than Adams or Dykes against the worlds 6th best team.

Any striker scoring over 20 goals a season, verging on 30, back to back, is better than the league they are in. He's an anomaly for Hearts. Better than any striker we've had since Romanov was throwing millions at us, scoring the most goals in a season in over 30 years - TWICE.

spacerjoe
3 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

No coincidence his form has dropped since Hoff has been out.

I think he's had to drop deeper to take up the positions that Hoff would normally occupy.

Thomaso

Proper Captain ♥️

IMG_2469.jpeg

Bull's-eye
1 minute ago, spacerjoe said:

No coincidence his form has dropped since Hoff has been out.

I think he's had to drop deeper to take up the positions that Hoff would normally occupy.

Agree with that.

Hopefully Naisy has the plumbs to sit Shanks down and have a word in his shell.

Difficult situation when your most influencial player has one year left of course.

vegas-voss
3 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Said it last night it looks like he is playing the role how he would be expected to do in a Scotland shirt.I don't think he was particularly bad yesterday his hold play was good he was coming back to help the team but all that work makes him less effective up front.As I say a Scotland strikers role 😔

Thomaso
11 hours ago, Chimp said:

All this thread has done is shown up folk who know a footballer and those that don’t. Can guarantee those that have their thongs well and truly in a twist are livid because Shanks never scored a goal today. The best striker in Scotland apparently isn’t allowed an off day 🤷🏻‍♂️

Some of the comments on here are frankly a disgrace 

BackOfTheNet

Last time Shankland had some questionable performances and was dropped was under Neilson, in favour of Humphrys. Humphrys then got injured and Shankland came on, scoring a hat-trick against Celtic in the 3-4 game. Sometimes players need to know they’re not 100% undroppable.

It doesn’t help anyone for a player to feel like his place is secure. Also, for no one else to get a run makes no sense, as if Shankland gets injured, suspended or we accept an offer for him we couldn’t refuse, then we have players who are untested and need to get up to speed.

Shankland is of course not just our number one striker, but our best player. But he should be subbed if playing badly and others should be given an opportunity if it becomes available, like these last 5 games will provide.